More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 10:52:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Nightlife made Homecrafter go 'splodie - and it did a number on BodyShop, too!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Nightlife made Homecrafter go 'splodie - and it did a number on BodyShop, too!  (Read 11566 times)
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
Nightlife made Homecrafter go 'splodie - and it did a number on BodyShop, too!
« on: 2005 September 21, 16:39:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been trying to find help for this, but no such luck so far...

-After installing Nightlife, Homecrafter Plus won't load.  Now, it just makes a nice little error log text file every time I try to run it.  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the program on the off-chance that it could work... and still, nothing.  Except for that error log thingy.

-BodyShop will no longer cache thumbnails properly.  In other words, every time you load the program again, it has to regenerate the thumbnails anew  A couple of people suggested deleting groups.cache and cigen.package, but this didn't help me, either.

I'm about at my wit's end with these programs.  *Sigh*

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Nightlife made Homecrafter go 'splodie - and it did a number on BodyShop, too!
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 21, 17:32:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

-BodyShop will no longer cache thumbnails properly.  In other words, every time you load the program again, it has to regenerate the thumbnails anew  A couple of people suggested deleting groups.cache and cigen.package, but this didn't help me, either.

Ditto for me except it's been doing this since University in my case. And deleting either of those files does not help, nor does reinstalling the entire game as that's what I did with Nightlife, backup my My documents/EA Games, uninstall University and TS2, reboot, Install TS2, Install University, Install Nightlife, then I put back my My Documents/EA Games minus hacks which I fished out. I did also try deleting the groups.cache and cigen.cache after restoring the backups and bodyshop is still not caching. :p

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
Re: Nightlife made Homecrafter go 'splodie - and it did a number on BodyShop, too!
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 28, 14:01:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A running hypothesis of mine is that something somewhere got set to Read Only - but so far, I haven't been able to find anything Read Only.

MaxisManiac
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 28, 15:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haven't tried using Homecrafter yet, but BodyShop doesn't work for me either after I got Nightlife. It crashes during the loading screen. Quite annoying.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 28, 20:54:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bodyshop works for me before and after Nightlife, I havent tried homecrafter yet as I have more than enough wallpaper, terrains and carpet currently.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 28, 21:10:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bodyshop works for me before and after Nightlife...

Are the thumbnails working for you or does it pause every time you go to another page to generate them?

pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 28, 21:30:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my bodyshop it always pauses between pages to generate thumbnails, even when I only had the Sims2 with no expansions. I thought it was normal, as bodyshop is not the fastest thing I've seen.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 28, 21:39:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's been a while since I've had TS2 with no expansions mind you, but I could swear that prior to University for me it used to cache the thumbnails. It's supposed to because that's what that cigen.package (custom icon generator?) file is for.

Of course, lol, the game is supposed to do a lot of things it doesn't do. Wink

Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 28, 21:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sure did cache the thumbnails for me, too.

As for Bodyshop not loading, it's probably because you're not loading the latest version, which comes with Nightlife.  If you're trying to load it, from, say, a desktop icon, then try loading it from Start>Programs>The Sims 2 Nightlife>The Sims 2 Bodyshop.  That'll load the newer version.

Those of you who haven't tried Homecrafter post-Nightlife, could you maybe do me an eensy favor and try loading the program?  Tell me if it does or doesn't work, and what operating system you're using.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 28, 22:34:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will loading up homecrafter tonight and report back later or tomorrow am.

Yes Bodyshop does pause the first time through, but after it generates the icons I can then scroll through them subsequent times. However this regeneration lag occurs everytime I open up bodyshop. I figured it was checking for updates so I have never been too concerned about it.

Its the same lag I get when I open the collections folder icon inside the game, it takes a while to generate it the first time but then it works fine after that...until the next time I fire up the game to play, then it does it again.
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 28, 22:44:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got both University and NightLife installed, and both BodyShop and HomeCrafter work fine.  There is a long delay from double clicking on the icons to actually seeing the splash screen; about 90 seconds.  But after that, they work normally.

Windows XP Pro Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2)
« Last Edit: 2005 September 28, 23:07:00 by Torkle » Logged

---
Torkle
kathryn.mari.
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 28, 23:10:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Both are working fine for me as well. I have XP Home with SP2, and have both UNI & NL installed.

I have made shortcuts directly from the NL CS Bin Bodyshop and dragged it to my desktop - I use that to launch BS.
I did the same with Homecrafter..created a shortcut from the HC Bin and dragged that to my desktop.

What I do notice, that disturbs me a lot...is even though I have denied internet/server access to both programs in Zone Alarm, they both continually try to connect to the internet!

For instance, last night I was creating some bodyshop sims, and after I quit out of BS, I opened Zone Alarm and noticed BS had tried to connect to the internet over 20x in the timespan while I was in BS Undecided

Zone Alarm blocked all attempts of course, but the continual pinging doesn't seem like a good thing to me  Huh
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 28, 23:29:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well for what it's worth I have XP. Both Bodyshop and Homecrafter do work, but the thunmbnail cache is no longer (for me since University) saved properly and every time I load up the program it has to cache all the items again instead of just any new stuff I may have added like I remember it used to do before the expansions. I'm not sure Homecrafter ever cached thumbnails, I don't think so.

And I do run the Nightlife version of bodyshop from the start button, Programs, EA Games, The Sims 2 Nightlife.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
Re: Nightlife made Homecrafter go 'splodie - and it did a number on BodyShop, to
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 28, 23:47:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same caching problem. I have xp pro sp2, and load it from the start menu (Nightlife) as well. I don't think it's ever worked properly for me, though. For this reason alone, I don't use Body Shop a whole lot, anymore. Too time consuming.
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 30, 14:43:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've made a post on the BBS asking people to try their own Homecrafters and report their success/failure and their OS.  I posted it in General Discussion... hopefully, nobody'll think up an excuse to delete it.   Tongue

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
Re: Nightlife made Homecrafter go 'splodie - and it did a number on BodyShop, to
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 08, 15:13:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We had a couple of people with the same problem on the old Sims site.  You could chip in on that threadl if you want to ask them about operating systems.  We don't visit the new BBS much....

http://thesims.ea.com/us/index.html?menu=community&content=/us/chat/

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

Contemplator of Fuzzy Things

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 08, 16:05:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's important to remember that each expansion pack has included a new BodyShop executable, and Nightlife is no exception.  When you install Nightlife, it should have made a new folder entry on the Start Menu, and there should be a choice for BodyShop in the Nightlife folder.  That's the one you should be using.  If you are still using a shortcut to BodyShop that was created prior to your Nightlife install, it'll be pointed at the wrong executable.

Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 08, 18:32:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's important to remember that each expansion pack has included a new BodyShop executable, and Nightlife is no exception.  When you install Nightlife, it should have made a new folder entry on the Start Menu, and there should be a choice for BodyShop in the Nightlife folder.  That's the one you should be using.  If you are still using a shortcut to BodyShop that was created prior to your Nightlife install, it'll be pointed at the wrong executable.

That's a really good point. Smiley  And that's the shortcut being used.  The problem with BS (oh what an apt acronym!  Grin) is that since expansion packs it no longer caches the thumbnails properly.  Oh, sure, they'll be cached as long as you have BS running, but as soon as you turn it off and back on those thumbnails have to re-cache.  It's a real pain in the wazoo for those of us with slower systems. Wink

Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 13, 04:26:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, so far it seems that Homecrafter will work with Nightlife ONLY if you have University installed beneath it.  People with both expansion packs have it work fine for them; those who have TS2 and Nightlife only are the ones who seem to be having the problem.

Update:
I checked the post of a guy who was having trouble.  He had Nightlife but no University.

People who have XP, Nightlife, and no University seem to have managed to work around the problem by using the Run As... option.

Well... I think I've figured out why it won't work.  Now all we need to know is why it won't work - the nitty-gritty geeky details behind it all.  Were I an oh-so-talented hacker, I'd find out for myself... but I think that's beyond my abilities.   Undecided
« Last Edit: 2005 October 14, 16:59:56 by Syera » Logged

Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 14, 17:02:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thread bump... 'cause apparently, editing the last post doesn't do the trick.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 14, 17:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I noticed the patch updated the bodyshop, or at least it mentioned the bodyshop while it was updating, but I still have the caching issue. I'll try the run button, but seeing as I have University (is it just me or did University introduce more bugs than the original game?) it probably won't help. :p

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 15, 08:35:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If homecrafter just plain doesn't work if you have Nightlife but not University, that's surely a problem for Maxis to fix. Isn't it?  As they are listening to us at the moment, please could someone pass this on. 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 15, 15:02:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shocked I really need to check these things then! Argh, more stuff thta won't work! Sad The only weird thign I've noticed in body shop so far is that I'm unable to view the "glasses". I don't get any, even the pre- NL's ones don't show up.... Undecided

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2005 November 23, 11:53:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did anyone get any further on this? If Homecrafter still isn't working for lots of people, it should go into JM's list of things for Maxis to fix in their next patch.

dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

mean sims and empty lots don't mix...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2005 November 23, 15:50:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

welll, having both EPs I find that homecrafter works fine.  So I'm no help there.

Bodyshop does cache thumbnails for me, too.  However I only use it with the base maxis stuff and the custom meshes I'm currently needing for new projects.  When I make new sims in bodyshop I use all maxis stuff and them update with custom things in CAS. 

But then I have two profiles for Sims on my machine.  A clean one with no hacks for lot building/Sim creation/object recolors and a hacked one for game play... And I only use bodyshop and home crafter from the clean side.

So I'm no help at all here...

My Avie is a Vin Diesel sim.  Get him at My Yahoo Group
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: