More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:22:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  The Armory
| | |-+  The Scrapyard
| | | |-+  Service NPC Generator Fix for Pets p0 *CRITICAL*
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Service NPC Generator Fix for Pets p0 *CRITICAL*  (Read 42067 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Service NPC Generator Fix for Pets p0 *CRITICAL*
« on: 2006 October 26, 10:37:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes I wonder whether this expansion is supposed to be about PETS, or whether they meant PESTS, because there's more bugs than an Ethiopian outhouse!

petsp0-servicecallfix.zip

Service Call Fix for TS2PETSp0
Made by: Flying Fish Systems (J. M. Pescado)

Special Thanks To:
Hobbsee the Scrawny Pencil Neck
Fat, Hairy-Bellied Ness

Congratulations to: Draklixa!

INSTRUCTIONS:
Place in your MYDOCU~1\EAGAME~1\THESIM~1\DOWNLO~1 directory.

FEATURES:
Fixes error when game tries to generate a service NPC called from the old
pre-Pets service-calls that were passing Stack Object instead of species.

COMPATIBILITY:
Compatible with all FFS hacks. For TS2PETSp0.

SIDE EFFECTS:
May cause computer damage, incontinence, explosion of user's head, coma, death,
and/or halitosis.

WARNING:
Do not open, crush, dispose of in fire, put in backwards, short-circuit, or mix
with non-awesome hacks - may explode, leak, or catch fire, resulting in injury
and/or death.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 16, 16:59:06 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
TheCheat
Corpulent Cretin

Yeah man. I'll gnaw your face off.

View Profile
Re: Service NPC Generator Fix for Pets p0 *CRITICAL*
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 26, 12:58:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another bug stomped...but the number of bugs this game really has isn't a machine-size real number!

Speaking of bugs, I find it funny that Maxis can't even spell "Glamour" correctly. When you use "boolprop showcatalogepflags true," GLS items show as "The Sims 2 Gamour Life." Does Maxis even have a Quality Assurance department?
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 26, 13:01:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maxis did, EA doesn't Cheesy
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 26, 13:14:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of bugs, I find it funny that Maxis can't even spell "Glamour" correctly. When you use "boolprop showcatalogepflags true," GLS items show as "The Sims 2 Gamour Life." Does Maxis even have a Quality Assurance department?
To be fair, you're never supposed to actually see that and probably neither does QA. The more fascinating typos can be found inside the code, like the call to a LUA script for a "Randon" something-or-other. I am not certain whether the script name is actually typoed as well, resulting in a situation where two wrongs somehow make a right, or whether it's actually broken.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 26, 14:27:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would this be fixing the problem I had when my Sim tried to interact with the animal control guy and he ended up stuck on her lawn in the "I'm driving away" position until I finally had to reload that lot without saving?

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

FatedCircle
Obtuse Oaf

Doink!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 26, 19:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I assume this will fix the problem I had where in my old pre-Pets neighborhoods, I got an error whenever I tried to call for non-pets related service NPCs (saying something about an "invalid species")?  If so...thanks!  Grin

Billy, put down that phylactery, we're Episcopalian.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 26, 20:14:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would this be fixing the problem I had when my Sim tried to interact with the animal control guy and he ended up stuck on her lawn in the "I'm driving away" position until I finally had to reload that lot without saving?
Pretty sure that's an unrelated Vtuggle problem.

I assume this will fix the problem I had where in my old pre-Pets neighborhoods, I got an error whenever I tried to call for non-pets related service NPCs (saying something about an "invalid species")?  If so...thanks!  Grin
If you've updated antiredundancy (or aren't using it), then yes, this should fix that problem.

LadyCrimsonSkye
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 28, 21:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where is this "Antiredundancy", and if I have installed this particularly piece of awesomeness, do I need it in my game?   Huh
Fish Dude
Corpulent Cretin

WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 October 28, 21:43:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/pets/hacks/

Look in there.

No ones gonna take me alive, the time has come to make things right.
You and I must fight for our rights, you and I must fight to survive.

- Muse
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 August 26, 17:22:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this fix still required for the current Pets patch (which I assume is P2)?

NECROMANCY IS BAD, M'KAY?

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 August 31, 05:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering this too. And will it still be necessary once I install Seasons or later EPs?

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 August 31, 06:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the fix is in the Seasons directory and I also have it in my hacks folder so I am guessing it is still required.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 August 31, 07:37:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering this too. And will it still be necessary once I install Seasons or later EPs?
It didn't scan as changed, so it doesn't hurt. Feel free to try taking it out and letting me know if it errors.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 August 31, 19:23:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my main question was, is this fix necessary even after installing the second Pets patch? If the problem was fixed by the patch, I assume I no longer need this fix. If it wasn't fixed by the patch, then I assume your fix is still necessary. Some clarification on this would be helpful.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 01, 00:24:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For what its worth since I do not have the pet ep install anymore but I do have the seasons ep.

Since I install Seasons, I took this fix out.  Been playing Pleasantview in a fresh resetted game for a little while and I did not  encounter any problems so far with the service NPC.

Maid, gardener and repairman are always coming when I schedule them too and I did not got any pop-up error so far.  They would be hard to miss since I play with the testing cheat at on all the time.

What kind of error am I suppose to experience anyway?  I do not quite understand the problem.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 01, 00:27:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a clean neighbourhood (no Sims at all), the NPC generator is borked.
The first time you call a certain NPC, say a maid, the game has to generate it. This fails horribly.

If you play without clean templates, or pregenerate your NPCs using the tree or mailbox, you never encounter this bug.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 01, 00:36:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I will create a hood this evening using the N001-bak rename method and report if it can be useful.

If not, I won't waste time doing that.

Edit:  Well I did what I mention above for my personal knowledge and even deleted my diownloads folder to make sure nothing would be in the way.  I did not had any errors at all, the service NPC where in time and created without any error pop-up.  I don't know if the fact I do not have the Pet ep can make any difference but I do have the Seasons ep install.  For now, I see no reasons to add this fix in my game unless someone can show me my test was no good at all.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 01, 06:13:30 by MissDoh » Logged
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 01, 09:46:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well the code hasn't been fixed since Pets, so likely the bug exists still.

If you want to test this, take the mod out, make sure you begin a clean neighbourhood (no Sim character files should exist after creating it), then create a Sim and call the maid. If you get an error, the bug still exists.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 01, 17:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I checked my hacks, and I don't have it in.  I have had no problem calling for a maid etc, but since I do have the antiredundancy hack, it's always the same one, but never any problem with any service npcs arriving and doing their job.

Zephyr Zodiac
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 01, 18:55:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As mentioned, the problem only exists if you have zero of a certain NPC. The only way to get to this point is by starting from scratch.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 September 01, 18:57:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did!

Zephyr Zodiac
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 September 01, 23:25:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to test this, take the mod out, make sure you begin a clean neighbourhood (no Sim character files should exist after creating it), then create a Sim and call the maid. If you get an error, the bug still exists.

Jordi, if you read my Edit note I already done this:

Well I will create a hood this evening using the N001-bak rename method and report if it can be useful.

If not, I won't waste time doing that.

Edit:  Well I did what I mention above for my personal knowledge and even deleted my diownloads folder to make sure nothing would be in the way.  I did not had any errors at all, the service NPC where in time and created without any error pop-up.  I don't know if the fact I do not have the Pet ep can make any difference but I do have the Seasons ep install.  For now, I see no reasons to add this fix in my game unless someone can show me my test was no good at all.

By renaming the N001-bak no characters were created at all and I already said I removed all my mods (delete my downloads folder completely) so it looks like the bugs does not exist anymore in Seasons.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 September 01, 23:29:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ask JMP then.
I checked the code, and the code has not changed between Pets p0 and Seasons p3. So provided the game code caused the problem, the fix should still be needed. I'm too lazy to test it myself in greater detail Wink
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 September 01, 23:39:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am sure he will read this post  Wink

I made 2 characters in CAS and place them in 2 differents lots.

2 paperboy
2 maid
2 postman
2 gardener
1 repairman
2 carpool driver
1 passerby
2 gypsy
1 cludb gardener

Were all created without any error pops-up.  I played each of them for 2 days.  Looks like they change another code to fix that.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 September 02, 15:27:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is a possibility, as the trap for the bug is placed at a higher level, since it was an endemic problem in many places. Instead of trying to hunt down and patch every instance, I instead installed a detector for bad input, and if the input was found to be bad, correct it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: