More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:37:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Game Assigns Aspiration
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game Assigns Aspiration  (Read 16040 times)
Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Game Assigns Aspiration
« on: 2005 July 19, 02:45:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to create hack that makes the game choose an apiration based on the parents and grandparents aspirations? Even their closet childhood friend?

I often choose an aspiration for my sim based on the sim they are most closet too on the assumption that there is often some main influence in our lives, which can sometimes set the course for our life. The slut friend, the army dad, the family orientated mum.

Does this make sense?

This idea just occured to me when I was reading about JMP's new LTW mod. Maybe it's a shitful idea. Don't know.

I have played the legacy challenge and I sort of found it false rolling a die to find ones aspiration. Aspiration comes from your life.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Re: Game Assigns Aspiration
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 19, 07:49:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It should be the person they have the highest short-term relationship with at the time they have to choose the aspiration.  I say short term rather than long term, because at the age sims are when they have to choose, it will be the "flavour of the month" friend who influences them the most Smiley

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 19, 08:31:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe, but have you noticed how often the childhood friend stays with them throughout their life?  if they don't get in touch, the friend rings them up, or calls round unannouced! 

I often have Romance sims marry their childhood best friend, and they always seems to get on well together.

Zephyr Zodiac
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 19, 09:05:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's just occurred to me they can't get their aspiration based on a childhood friend, because they wouldn't have their aspiration yet.   Their highest long term relationship is likely to be with a parent, but wouldn't it be boring to have yet one more thing that gets passed down through the family?

In reality there are two things that guide you through life.  Aspirations (often unrealistic) and Expectations.   Expectations you would get through your long-term relationships, the people whose context you define yourself in, while aspirations tend to be based on people you admire, who could be someone unattainable like a pop star - or even someone admirable like Marie Curie.   The majority of us settle down to simply trying to fulfill our expectations.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
speedreader
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 19, 14:02:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have always decided aspirations based on that Sim's wants and behaviors up to the point that they transition to a teen.  i.e. If the child Sim seemed to always want to be friends with X, Y and Z, I make them a popularity sim.  Some children will run out to the mailbox to meet a parent coming home from work, others won't.  The ones that do may be good family sims material.  At some point in playing them it becomes obvious to me what they should be as an adult and I write it down so when they transition I know what to do. 

So, am I just making this up, or is there some basis for my theory that wants seem to follow a specific trend? 
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 19, 15:47:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do the same thing, speedracer. I pay attention to what sort of wants a child rolls up and pick their aspiration based on that trend. Of course, that tends to leave romance aspirations out, as a child will never roll kiss/woohoo wants (thank goodness) but since I don't particularly like romance sims, that's fine with me. Then there are the children that have ADD (have best friend, buy a shrub, gain a skill point, play with family member)type of wants and those are harder to pick aspirations for, so I just make their aspiration based on their personality points.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 19, 20:41:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think that hard about aspiration: I just go and pick "Knowledge" pretty much every time. Maybe Popularity.

I mean, think about it:
You have 5 possible choices: Knowledge, Popularity, Fortune, Romance, and Family.

Now we can start eliminating them, based on the fact that this is not our final answer, and we're going to get to change it at Uni.

Fortune: Let's see. You're an unemployed kid with no real earning potential. You're not going to *HAVE* any real earning potential until you graduate. Scratch that.
Romance: Teens don't get any. Sorry.
Family: Ain't gonna happen until post-graduation. No biscuit.

So what does that leave you? Knowledge, if you want to try to get the early platinum from Maximize All Skills, and Popularity, because that's the only aspiration that actually functions in Uni. Not a lot of choices here.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 19, 20:47:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dare I admit I don't send most of my teens to Uni because I find it unbearably tedious? (even with hacks to speed the process up) Roll Eyes

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 19, 21:06:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but then you limp along with only 4 want slots and 1 lock, which simply isn't adequate with the amount of spam Maxis tends to stuff down your throat. And this will only get worse with each expansion pack as they give you an ever more annoying series of stupid stuff to want.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 19, 21:21:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We need a hack that randomly assigns your sim an aspiration. None of this letting you choose an aspiration for them. That would make childhood a challenge (for those who aren't Knowledge or Popularity sims, that is).

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 20, 21:40:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We already have something like that, don't we? It's called, "dice."

I could theoretically make an excel file that gave you an optimal aspiration based on various factors like personality and skills already gained, even possibly adjusting for aspirations of friends and relatives, but that would be kind of ridiculous.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 20, 23:31:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We already have something like that, don't we? It's called, "dice."

Aw man, you mean I have to invest in a small cube shaped object rather than just leech off of a modder?

Besides, I'd kinda like to see the game spin up a random aspiration, no ifs, no buts, no rerolling if you don't like the result.  Although if such a thing did exist, it'd probably suffer from the firstborn effect and we'd have entire neighbourhoods filled with romance sims.  Yikes.

<insert witty comment here>
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 21, 01:56:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I was thinking that Random Aspiration would be something you'd see change randomly at any time of day or night (like the way my Daily Burglar works).

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 21, 01:57:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, considering that aspiration is shortly going to be less a largely lifelong commitment and more a "flavor of the week" deal with that senso-thingamjigy allegedly coming out with Nightlife....I wonder, will Nightlife have LTWs, and will flipping your aspiration around randomly affect that?

cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 July 21, 11:54:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We need a hack that randomly assigns your sim an aspiration. None of this letting you choose an aspiration for them. That would make childhood a challenge (for those who aren't Knowledge or Popularity sims, that is).

There is such a hack, it is called the Inseminator.

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 July 21, 12:23:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, other than the illogic of aspiring to completely pointless things, anyway. I guess Uni is just not for fambly sims.

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 July 21, 16:07:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't like the way that Nightlife object sounds . . . I mean, do they honestly think that people don't have more ASP than they know what to do with? The only way to make it actually unusual would be to make it cost upwards of 500,000, but I just can't see that happening, considering that Elixer is only like 30,000. Or maybe you'll only be allowed to do it once . . . no, that would be silly. Huhm.

What the heck will "Pleasure" sims have for LTW? Go on X dates? I can't see them aspiring for career based stuff . . .
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 July 21, 19:26:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suspect this new object may be a bootstrapper for the entire broken turn ons/offs thing that they're probably planning to add, AT RANDOM, to our already existing sims. Because you know they'll love to add annoying crap like that. Rather than picking turn ons and turn offs from the existing spouse, they'll pick them at random to be as inappropriate as possible. Because that's how they picked LTWs.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 July 21, 19:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then you can mod it again and people can go on and on about how awesome it is.   Cheesy

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 July 22, 04:16:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah hah! That's your evil plot! I knew there had to be one somewhere around here. JMPescado is in league with Maxis! They make bugridden games so that he can fix them and thus further his obvious plot to take over the world, thus guaranteeing them (theoretically) a cut of the action. Yes . . . it all makes sense now . . .
lauraglenn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 July 23, 03:22:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That definitely sounds like the plan... because Maxis is going to continue to add crappy little things to our games that will require fixing.  At least we all know where to look!
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 July 23, 12:21:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, I actually use a die that I keep on my desk to pick their aspiration - even if it doesn't suit their personality - it makes it a challenge.
If I roll a one, they're a knowledge sim, 2, they're a family sim, etc etc. If I roll a six I get to pick. I know. Dork city.  Embarrassed

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 July 24, 06:56:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not Dork City!  I do the same thing, only 6 means roll again...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 July 24, 08:24:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even if I did that, it'd be pretty pointless. There a *REASON* nobody wants to play Backgammon against me, after all.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: