More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 12:09:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can you actually make money running a restaurant?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can you actually make money running a restaurant?  (Read 13422 times)
AnnaM
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Can you actually make money running a restaurant?
« on: 2006 August 13, 08:32:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...because I can't. Maybe I'm just retardo... But I only get single customers who come in, buy one dish, go. The restaurant is now level 9, it runs with only 2 employees (and 2 playables), the cook is lev 10 cooking, the price is Expensive, but it still only makes a ridiculously small amount of money every day.

Am I missing something (leaving aside cheats), or is it really impossible to run a successful restaurant?
ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
Re: Can you actually make money running a restaurant?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 13, 09:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I know, as restaurant is tottally useless as a business, which sucks, because I got OFB to have a restaurant.

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 13, 09:12:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Restaurants can make some money, but are not big earners due to being highly labor intensive. It helps to have Business Runs You, which will greatly improve turnaround time and pointless behaviors like spitting into glasses and loafing about, as well as make it easier for one employee to fill multiple roles, thus reducing costs. And you pretty much *NEED* "Relevant Wages", or everyone and their dog will demand exhorbitant salaries for completely useless skills that will slaughter your profit margin.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
AnnaM
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 13, 14:19:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I have Relevant wages, not BRY though because I don't tend to go for extra automation -- I'm a micromanaging freak  Smiley

Thanks for the replies. Running the restaurant is fun, pity about the money. I wish I could get parties of diners rather than just single sims. That would make it more fun, as well as probably generating more income.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 13, 14:47:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I have Relevant wages, not BRY though because I don't tend to go for extra automation -- I'm a micromanaging freak  Smiley
....but BRY *IS* for micromanaging freaks! It's for people who are such control freaks that not only is it necessary to control every move of a sim, but it is also necessary to control the controls. I can't imagine how you'd run a business of ANY kind without it, since employees are completely unserviceable without its ironfisted, high-efficiency rule. No wonder you can't make a profit. It's a miracle you have ANY business that functions longer than about 10 minutes!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 13, 18:38:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that's telling her Pescado. *eyeroll*

Anyway, what I would do is cheat. Yep. I would use Inge's Pay/Clothes Change doors and charge each patron 50 simoleons each time they entered the restaurant, and call it a gratuity. Or a bribe. Whatever.

I would also use it to change them into formal when they entered if it was a fancy restaurant.

Actually, swtich that. I would have them change into formal upon entering, and have them charged 50 a pop when they LEFT, and call THAT the tip.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 13, 18:40:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

.... everyone and their dog will demand exhorbitant salaries for completely useless skills ...

Hey!  I thought you said there were no pets?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 13, 19:05:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

.... everyone and their dog will demand exhorbitant salaries for completely useless skills ...
Not THAT kind of dog, you stupid giraffe.

starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 13, 19:06:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Watch it, or I'll stick out my giraffe tongue and scrape off a few layers of skin  Tongue

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 August 14, 01:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Watch it, or I'll stick out my giraffe tongue and scrape off a few layers of skin  Tongue
I never bathe. Do you really want to eat that?

vaughje
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 August 14, 05:27:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*vomits*

The End.
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 August 14, 07:33:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. The visual on that. Wow. Ow. My eyes.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 August 14, 18:34:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, vaughje and Jade - it was leftover from a news story when I was young.  Some young girl thought it would be fun to feed the nice giraffe in the zoo.  The poor animal stuck its tongue out to grab the morsel and took off a bunch of the kid's skin.  Bloody.

However, I now see the error of my ways in threatening Pescado.   

*ptooey

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 August 15, 01:20:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't help that my skin is both immensely thick and ablative, so when you try to lick it, you just get a mouthful of nasty dirty skinflakes.

Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 August 15, 01:29:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh yucky.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 August 15, 01:35:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I know, my biology is absolutely revolting, and I like it that way.

Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 August 15, 03:54:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go to a college level health class sometime; you'll discover that the biology of every human body is absolutely revolting.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 August 15, 07:30:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I don't consider human biology "absolutely revolting".

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 August 15, 07:52:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go to a college level health class sometime; you'll discover that the biology of every human body is absolutely revolting.
Yes, but I'm revolting even by normal-people-standards.

Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 August 16, 01:42:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had success with a restaurant/venue.  They go to the ticket thing, pay, then stand in line for food.  Then they play piano or have a drink at the bar.  That's actually been one of my favorite businesses.  I don't like that it takes a bajillion sims to run a restaurant though. 

In my opinion, venues are the WORST.  It takes for-freakin-ever to build up the stars. 

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 August 16, 02:46:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had success with a restaurant/venue.  They go to the ticket thing, pay, then stand in line for food.  Then they play piano or have a drink at the bar.  That's actually been one of my favorite businesses.  I don't like that it takes a bajillion sims to run a restaurant though. 

In my opinion, venues are the WORST.  It takes for-freakin-ever to build up the stars.
There's a trick to that: Wait until a customer is right about to make the purchase, then queue up 8x Hard Sell or 8x Dazzle. Your sim will proceed to hammer the new victim with a barrage of sales socials after he makes the ticket swipe. It will, of course, not sell anything, as your business has nothing to sell and your customer has already finished buying, but you still get the +loyalty boost (or penalty, if it fails), for doing it. Note that you will not receive or lose any customer loyalty for badgering a customer BEFORE he has purchased a ticket, which makes it an ideal spot to practice newbie sales on, especially if you temporarily set the price so ridiculously high no one will ever buy it, so you can pummel them over and over.

Immy
Miss Immy 2007
Terrible Twerp

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 August 16, 02:53:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Damn you! You've been me to it! Grin

[July 06, 2008 at 4:53am] Krissy: Sorry. Didn't mean to explode or anything. When I said "Kill yourself" I kind of meant "Hug yourself"... Just with knives.
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 August 16, 22:05:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: Liss on August 15, 2006, 08:42:04 PM

Maybe i'm looking at the situation all wrong, but ticket Venues for me are the easiest to run and to get customer loyalty stars from.   One caveat of course, they aren't for making tons of money, just for the Business Perks.   I just buy a small community lot, build a small building, put in a few things to play with then have the owner go into a locked room, meditate, put the game on triple speed, then walk away.   Boring?   Yes, but it's effective.

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 August 17, 00:35:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

maybe you should start a restaurant only after you already have some ranks in your business.

Start as a general business, wholesale or just that electrono ticket machine, to raise some ranks. then change that to a restaurant.

also you can offer some different options in your restaurant. maybe build a little shop in it.

and what i am thinking that will solve better the problem is that maybe using the intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims # with a high number like 50 will result in more customers showing in your community restaurant
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 August 17, 00:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You also need high turn around (i.e. bad decor, uncomfortable chairs, rude employees) for a restaurant to be profitable.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: