More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 00:05:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The War Room
| | |-+  The Plague: A Detailed Study
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Plague: A Detailed Study  (Read 129541 times)
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: The Plague: A Detailed Study
« Reply #75 on: 2006 September 12, 20:18:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had sims come home sick since OFB, but never had a sim die from it.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: 2006 September 12, 21:00:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, god! Typhoid Nanny. Now that would make the game interesting, considering the number of households one nanny can be working in.

Maybe, maybe not.  I only have one maid in my custom neighbourhood.  She's a playable Sim and has been the neighbourhood maid since she started as a new CAS adult.  She's an elder now and cleans more or less every house in the neighbourhood.  She currently has 'flu and is spreading it to everyone who hasn't already got it.  This has been going on for a while (it's some time since I played her lot) but nobody seems to be suffering unduly.  It all started with Gvaudoin Tricou's family, as I recall.  There were 8 people living there until recently and they all had it - Nylissit even died of old age while suffering from it.  They've had it for ages but they don't seem to get any worse, they just keep recovering and catching it again over & over.  Her eldest set of twins are due to start Uni very shortly, so maybe they'll infect the campus, although that's happened before and not come to anything either.

It was definitely easier to die of the 'flu before NL - I had several die of it with that glitch they eventually fixed, where they'd die on their own lot if they recovered on another.  Apart from my bride under the wedding arch, it's the only way mine ever did die of the 'flu.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2006 September 13, 07:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They've had it for ages but they don't seem to get any worse, they just keep recovering and catching it again over & over. 
That's the kind of thing that happens in my game.  It's very annoying.  I'm wondering if  I have "plague spots" in strategic places that won't go away - like doors and portals....  How do we ID these spots?  Would be nice if the lot debugger cleaned them up  Grin

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: 2006 September 13, 20:11:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, mine are catching it from each other.  One household member recovers, then immediately recatches it from another who hasn't recovered.  Sometimes they get better at work/school, then catch it again as soon as they get home.  It all seems totally pointless when it never gets any worse.  I certainly don't treat mine any differently and they rarely stay off work - no point when they're always told "You don't sound ill" and lose a day's vacation (which I immediately give them back via Insim because they were ill, damnit!).

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 September 13, 21:06:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really? My sims never got told that they didn't sound ill. Even when they were giggling into the phone.

Then again, my sims are always in a hellish good mood in the morning.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: 2006 September 13, 22:01:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

whether they are believed or not is supposed to depend on that job performance bar...  or so I was told....

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 September 13, 22:52:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's been my experience. Hence the good mood in the morning = good job performance.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 September 14, 05:43:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, mine are catching it from each other.  One household member recovers, then immediately recatches it from another who hasn't recovered.  Sometimes they get better at work/school, then catch it again as soon as they get home.  It all seems totally pointless when it never gets any worse.  I certainly don't treat mine any differently and they rarely stay off work - no point when they're always told "You don't sound ill" and lose a day's vacation (which I immediately give them back via Insim because they were ill, damnit!).
If a sim is not faking, as in, they really are ill, they will always lose a vacation day if they have one for calling in sick. The logic for testing for faking does not occur and they won't ever sound like they're really REALLY sick to the point where they get to keep their vacation day. They always lose a vacation day if they have one, so the only advantage of calling in sick is if you don't have a vacation day and catch the plague. Otherwise there's no benefit.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2006 September 14, 06:54:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought you got an extra vacation day - shows how observant I am.

What about the messages?  What is the timing on those.  It doesn't look to me like they pop up straight away or sometimes at all.  If the sim is coughing and spluttering, but you haven't had a message - are they counted as sick.  If they look fine, no symptons but you haven't had a message, I've learned from experience, they are still sick!

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 September 14, 07:03:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have plague symptoms, you definitely have the plague, even if the notifications haven't popped up. If you don't see anything AND you have not seen any box, you may or may not have the plague.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 September 14, 08:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, it would be funny if that were a difference in the American vs. International versions.

NO VACATION FOR YOU!

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 September 15, 01:50:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here, for those of you who want accurate diagnoses of your plagues, there is this quiz:

http://www.quizilla.com/users/maidenfair/quizzes/Which%20Medieval%20Plague%20Do%20You%20Have%3F

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2006 September 17, 15:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I reeeeeeeeeealy want a fix fox the diseases.  Something that makes them get sick easier and makes it harder to cure, with greater chances of death.  I have never had an epidemic in my game.  It's always been "A has the flu!"  ANd then, like 3 hours later, "A is better now!"

Jeeze.  I'm tired of boolproping my sick sims to death.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 September 17, 15:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the average flu severity is 35, so if you brutalize your sim as much as possible, it will take him 8 hours to die. Assuming the more NORMAL case, where you simply ignore the plague and carry on as usual, your sim will probably be sitting (+6), have high comfort (+4), and probably average energy. He will thus recover at about 10 pts/hr, so yes, about 3-4 hours to recover, although you won't be informed of this until at least 6 hours or so due to the way RHC works.

So pretty much most everything you do causes your sim to get better. Any proposals for how it can be made worse, without actually making everything instantly lethal?

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 September 17, 17:36:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could maybe tweak comfort down a bit. Make it less of a factor. Doesn't make much sense that it is such a factor in the first place.

I'd really prefer Hygiene, Serious, and maybe the Logic skill to be the main factors in how well a sim recovers.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 September 17, 17:40:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, "serious" isn't a skill, and I frankly don't see why it would help. Not sure why logic would help either. Hygiene is a consideration, but that's more preventative than something that will help once you already HAVE the plague.

Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 September 17, 18:15:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, Pescado, I remember a relative of mine had caught some disease after coming out of the hospital that caused sores on her skin to develope, and if she had not been hygienic and cleaned it out three times a day, it would not be healed by now and probably would have gotten much much worse.
Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 September 17, 18:29:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do any of the plagues give the victim nasty pus-filled sores? I thought they were all invisible flu-type *cough* *cough* *drop dead* plagues.

The reason why the comfort motive has the greatest impact on recovery is probably because the designers want the Sim to sit down more and waste time. However, a Sim can do a lot of things while sitting down (skilling, eating, socializing) and can gain comfort rapidly. Even taking a dump bumps his comfort meter up a noticable amount.

I suggest that only energy and perhaps hunger affect recovery/death. Good hygiene doesn't help you recover from flu, it just helps prevent you from catching it in the first place. Comfort relates more to relaxation than to proper rest (energy), and thus has a negligible effect on the progress of the illness. Sleeping in bed will help you recover, merely sitting in a chair most likely will not. The energy motive is a lot slower to replenish, even in the best beds, and the Sim will be unable to do anything else while sleeping. He can woohoo, I guess, but since that drains energy it might prove fatal.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 September 17, 19:04:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, well, maybe we need some more sicknesses. Some more powerful ones that are a tad less common, but a bit more fatal. That and they could have unconventional methods of curing. I don't know how or if anyone would go about doing that, but it sounds good to me.

I do agree with our idea of how a sickness should be cured, though. Most people sit down for their entire day doing work and they don't recover from it in 3 hours.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 September 17, 19:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suggest that only energy and perhaps hunger affect recovery/death. Good hygiene doesn't help you recover from flu, it just helps prevent you from catching it in the first place. Comfort relates more to relaxation than to proper rest (energy), and thus has a negligible effect on the progress of the illness. Sleeping in bed will help you recover, merely sitting in a chair most likely will not. The energy motive is a lot slower to replenish, even in the best beds, and the Sim will be unable to do anything else while sleeping. He can woohoo, I guess, but since that drains energy it might prove fatal.
Well, hunger doesn't really make any sense, because hunger's NORMAL range runs the full gamut of the bar, and it's not even POSSIBLE to effectively eat anything until -50. Thus it's impossible to gauge anything meaningful from hunger until you hit the starvation slowdown line at -85. I suppose we could start adding a penalty for that.

Actually, simply negating the "sit" bonus, which is a huge, whopping +6, would really slow things down a lot, as your recovery rate drops 5-6 points right there, as sims spend a lot of time sitting, simply parked out of the way.

Weaver
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 September 17, 19:56:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm waiting for the potent and extremely fatal decay disease game mod in conjunction with a contest challenge. Smiley
Entertainment is all about survival and out-of-luck odds - just look at television. Oh, something about drama and explosions too.
Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2006 September 18, 03:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, simply negating the "sit" bonus, which is a huge, whopping +6, would really slow things down a lot, as your recovery rate drops 5-6 points right there, as sims spend a lot of time sitting, simply parked out of the way.

Yeah, just nuke the sit bonus. Keeps it simple and yet increases the difficulty. But then maybe you need to increase the influence of energy or something to compensate, otherwise the Sim would recover as fast from working out as from vegging in a corner. Make them have to go to bed or something inconvenient.

You could also create a deadly guinea pig virus that cannot be cured except by medicine. Guaranteed death in three days. Of course the original guinea pig virus was also hard to catch (had to be bitten while playing with a dirty guinea pig). Or maybe a zombie plague that drains motives at an ever-increasing rate until death occurs, whereupon the victim becomes a zombie (this last is wishful thinking).

Entertainment is all about survival and out-of-luck odds - just look at television. Oh, something about drama and explosions too.

I agree. Sometimes I wonder if Maxis should go a step further and introduce a "disaster" expansion pack for Sims 2 with triggerable mega-disasters like in SimCity. Imagine your Sim family having to deal with a sudden flood, meteor shower, house party getting gatecrashed by aliens with head-mounted lasers, or an invasion of plague zombies. The best drama always has a healthy dose of real danger and excitement mixed in, and I don't mean retarded Baked-Alaska-set-yourself-on-fire kind of excitement.
« Last Edit: 2006 September 18, 04:00:48 by Dopp » Logged
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 September 18, 21:38:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it possible to make the plague drain motives faster, like pregnancy?  I notice that when I'm playing poor families, I do have to pay a little more attention to them.  Especially if you don't have OFB, feeding them before they pass out is non-trivial.

Add in some projectile horking throughout the sickness, and I think we'd have a pretty inconvenient plague.  Cheesy
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 September 19, 01:56:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not make it so that if comfort or energy (or hygiene maybe) bottoms out entirely they get a major hit to their recovery time.  Clearly if any of these empty out the person is not even trying to help their sim get better.

I do like the idea of pregnancy-style need-draining.  What is the Flu without the overwhelming need to do nothing but lay in bed and nap or maybe watch a little TV?

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Dopp
Corpulent Cretin

Not Awesome Indeed

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 September 19, 02:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do like the idea of pregnancy-style need-draining.  What is the Flu without the overwhelming need to do nothing but lay in bed and nap or maybe watch a little TV?

Doesn't the flu already to this?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: