More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 15:37:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  CRT or LCD????
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: CRT or LCD????  (Read 13574 times)
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
CRT or LCD????
« on: 2006 July 27, 18:19:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm in the process of purchasing a new computer.  I've done a little bit of research on LCDs, but I can't make up my mind on what to do.  Right now, I have a 17' flat screen CRT.  Some people say that the LCD is the way to go, but I've read that the graphics display aren't as good as the CRT.  I'm probably posting in the wrong area, but I would greatly appreciate some friendly imput.  Thanx in advance.  Huh
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: CRT or LCD????
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 27, 18:29:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CRTs are totally superior to LCDs for gaming purposes. LCDs suffer from blurry graphics when anything moves, generally poor desktop space management (you cannot stack things on top of them), poor physical stability (they are not heavy, so tip over easily when entangled in wires), and lack the invigorating and cancer-preventing radiative effects.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 27, 18:35:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A reply from the Man Himself!!! Grateful, many thanx
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 27, 18:38:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's worth noting that despite the many disadvantages of LCDs, among the more ignorant and office-type people, they nonetheless continue to gain ground, which makes CRTs both difficult to find in stores, and cheap-as-free if you swipe them from some office dumpster, where some ignorant buffoon is no doubt attempting to dispose of a perfectly functional CRT in favor of some wussy new-fangled LCD monitor.

Some weaklings also complain that CRTs give them headaches, but their weak and feeble brains are no doubt utterly incapable of comprehending the utter superiority of CRT-based monitors over LCD ones and we hardly value their weak and feeble opinions.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 27, 18:40:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CRTs also have better color.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 27, 18:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CRTs also die with greater dignity and honor. A dead CRT in repose may be used as a counterweight, doorstop, or heavy ballistic projectile, and more technically saavy people can possibly assemble the surviving components into a laser or other deathray, whereas an LCD has no honor and can only uselessly take up space in a trash can.

summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 27, 18:46:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll stick with my CRT Grin
MaxisManiac
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 27, 18:49:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LCDs are better than CRTs because:
# They are smaller and lighter.

# They consume less energy.

# The image is crisper because each pixel is displayed by a specific set of liquid crystal cells.

# Eyestrain and fatigue are reduced because there is no flicker.

# While there is no conclusive evidence about the health hazards of low-frequency electromagnetic emissions, LCDs emit much fewer than CRTs.

# Some LCDs pivot, so you can work in landscape or portrait mode.

# LCDs are less prone to interference from other devices, and you can put two side-by-side without encountering problems.

# The image geometry is always perfect.

# Convergence is always perfect.

# The flat face of an LCD tends to reflect less glare than most CRTs.

# They tend to use fewer hazardous materials and are easier to recycle.

# They look so much cooler.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 27, 18:56:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LCD is good for the office.
Get a real monitor for gaming.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 27, 19:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I bought my new system this past April, I did some research before finally deciding to stick with a CRT. I mainly went with it because I wanted the color capabilities of a CRT vs. a LCD. I got a decent 19" for under $200.

Honestly, for most people it's going to be a 'six of one, half dozen of another' situation. An average user won't notice that much of a difference in what they're actually viewing. Folks who do a great deal of graphic design (or are serious, serious gamers) will notice the difference.

Basically, get the best you can in your budget.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 28, 00:26:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We noticed a HUGE difference, it was if we had upgraded the graphics card when we went from the Sony Vaio LCD back to the Sony Multiscan CRT. When I got my new computer I let her keep the LCD - well actually I had to let her keep it since the vaio wasnt compatible with my new compaq/hp...the glare sucks because it faces a window but the graphics are far superior and crisp on the crt.

My daughter is now jealous of my CRT and scoffs at her spanky LCD. I point and laugh.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 28, 01:31:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

# They are smaller and lighter.
Monitors are not meant to be moved. Smaller and lighter just means it gets knocked over a lot. LCDs have difficulty remain standing upright even in the breeze from the fan exhaust of your computer. A CRT, on the other hand, won't fall over merely because your fan blew on it. Plus, they don't inflict as much damage when dropped or hurled at your enemies. A CRT be lobbed 400 meters and crush a car on impact. An LCD won't.

# The image is crisper because each pixel is displayed by a specific set of liquid crystal cells.
Lies. CRTs have clearly superior image quality.

# Eyestrain and fatigue are reduced because there is no flicker.
CRTs do not have flicker either. They also do not dissolve into an illegible blur everytime something moves.

# While there is no conclusive evidence about the health hazards of low-frequency electromagnetic emissions, LCDs emit much fewer than CRTs.
It's not a hazard! It's the source of power and life!

# Some LCDs pivot, so you can work in landscape or portrait mode.
CRTs could do that first.

# The flat face of an LCD tends to reflect less glare than most CRTs.
Glare is only a problem if you actually have WINDOWs. Why on EARTH would you want windows in your computer room? SUN would get in there!
* J. M. Pescado hiss at sun!

# They tend to use fewer hazardous materials and are easier to recycle.
Which makes them useless for lobbing at my enemies. Dead LCDs are of no real use, and furthermore, are not terribly aerodynamic, but dead CRTs receive a second life as catapult ammo or skeet.

# They look so much cooler.
How is lying dead on your desk after being knocked over by your case fan cool?

Quote from: nectere link=topic=5077.msg142944#msg142944 date=1154046374
the glare sucks because it faces a window but the graphics are far superior and crisp on the crt.[/quote
So lose the window. Windows are bad anyway, they let in sunlight. Sunlight bad!

Quote from: nectere link=topic=5077.msg142944#msg142944 date=1154046374
My daughter is now jealous of my CRT and scoffs at her spanky LCD. I point and laugh.[/quote
See, it's like the saying goes: Boycott sham poo! Demand the real poo!

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 July 28, 01:32:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to get a really awesome, super-expensive LCD monitor to notice only a small difference between it and a middle-range CRT, especially if the CRT has a flat screen. LCDs just aren't there yet.

Basically, an LCD means paying more money for a worse picture. Unless you're one of those people who gets headaches from CRTs, I don't see any reason for an LCD.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 July 28, 02:27:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can get CRT monitors that look almost like LCD ones anyway.  I would hate to give up my CRT because it has a very useful shelf on the top of it, where I have my speakers, blank cd's, pens, all sorts.  Trouble is, they sort of get hot.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
summerbliz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 July 28, 02:48:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks everyone! Appreciate everybody's comments. 
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 July 28, 03:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm getting an LCD because I'm getting a little sick of adjusting the size, position, the warp and twist one way or another that never really gives you a nice flat image anyway. The only real hazard of using modern LCD is the possibility of *stuck* pixels (shudder).

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 July 28, 04:00:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My CRT looks perfectly flat to me, but my shape perception isn't that great. I notice colors much more than flatness or lack thereof. I'm very, very picky about color. So until an LCD can match my CRT for color, I'm sticking with this.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 July 28, 04:08:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really pay much attention to colors at all, but the BLUR everytime something moves makes my eyes hurt.

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 July 28, 04:28:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only complaint I have about CRTs is the image distortion. At least in the game I can use square pixels to fix it. Otherwise I much prefer CRTs to LCDs.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 July 28, 09:47:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Image distortion is only a problem with some models of low-budget CRT. LCDs exhibit these problems even on upper-class models. Which cost more than your computer.

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 July 28, 10:00:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A CRT be lobbed 400 meters...

By yourself or using a decent catapult? Aim would be better with a catapult.

I notice colors much more than flatness or lack thereof. I'm very, very picky about color. So until an LCD can match my CRT for color, I'm sticking with this.

I'm colour blind so take very little notice of this aspect, but what I do like about LCD is that they take up much less room and I can surround my pc with the junk I need.

Meh...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 July 28, 10:42:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could just put your junk on top of the monitor, if you got a proper blocky one.

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 July 28, 12:57:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I didn't think my CRT is low budget. Don't remember anymore what it cost, but it's a Viewsonic UltraBrite E92f+, 19 inches. From my understanding, that should be a decent one as CRTs go. I suppose I don't really know what's considered a "low budget" screen.

I only noticed the slight distortion problem after I changed video cards. I don't know if it's possible that it would depend on the card. Now I barely notice the distortion anymore, probably my brain is used to it by now.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 July 28, 13:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lcd  just looks better.  The images are nice sharp and crisp  and no cancer thank you very much.   Tongue

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 July 28, 13:31:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I work with radiation on a daily basis, the kind of radiation where you're going to need to wear a layer of lead to protect your most important organs, I don't think one CRT monitor is going affect my health one way or the other. Worrying about monitor radiation is like freaking out about BSE when you're thousands of times more likely to die from cardiovascular diseases, which most people are not nearly as concerned about. Get some perspective, people Wink.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: