More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 21:38:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Another shameless Ubuntu plug
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Another shameless Ubuntu plug  (Read 27121 times)
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Another shameless Ubuntu plug
« Reply #50 on: 2006 August 01, 21:44:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wine and Cedega won't run TS2 since neither of them can emulate DirectX 9.0c yet or something like that.

One of the few reasons I'm not switching to Linux is that there's No Adobe Support, Shoddy Opera Support, "Ripping" of text, poor hardware support(Ubuntu can't detect the GMA950 correctly), among other things.  In addition, the only version of Linux that accepted my graphics chip correctly was OpenSUSE and possibly Fedora.  Kubuntu looked all stretched even though it siad 1280x800 in the configuration file.

I prefer KDE applications, and that is a reason why I'm not even considering Ubuntu.  Besides, it might work just as poorly as Kubuntu.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 August 01, 23:47:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welcome back Dizzy. I've used your stuff forever, and was really upset when JM said you had passed on. He just likes tugging on the heartstrings methinks.
I had every reason to believe Dizzy was dead, given that the people I asked if they had seen Dizzy reported that he was dead, which matched observed evidence. Of course, there may have been some confusion over which Dizzy was dead. There are, apparently, multiple-Dizzys. Perhaps EA killed the wrong Dizzy.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2006 August 02, 00:01:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wine and Cedega won't run TS2 since neither of them can emulate DirectX 9.0c yet or something like that.

One of the few reasons I'm not switching to Linux is that there's No Adobe Support, Shoddy Opera Support, "Ripping" of text, poor hardware support(Ubuntu can't detect the GMA950 correctly), among other things.  In addition, the only version of Linux that accepted my graphics chip correctly was OpenSUSE and possibly Fedora.  Kubuntu looked all stretched even though it siad 1280x800 in the configuration file.

I prefer KDE applications, and that is a reason why I'm not even considering Ubuntu.  Besides, it might work just as poorly as Kubuntu.

I haven't had any success even trying to install TS2 with Wine. I put the blame firmly where it belongs: EA. EA = crap.

I prefer KDE myself, but the lack of stability in KDE makes it extremely frustrating. I have no idea what "Ripping" of text means. I go out of my way to check whether hardware is well supported by Linux before I even consider buying it.

Pescado, you should know better than to trust rumors. It is possible for people to die several times and come back to life. You of all people should know that. Cheesy

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006 August 02, 00:06:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado, you should know better than to trust rumors. It is possible for people to die several times and come back to life. You of all people should know that. Cheesy
Well, yes, but you deny having been dead at all. If you had admitted to being killed, but had gotten better, that would have also fit. However, apparently, you weren't killed at all. Which means some other Dizzy must have been killed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2006 August 02, 00:33:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I used Opera 9 in Linux, when I scrolled down it made the text much harder to read, as if someone ripped a part of a letter and shifted it up.  This didn't happen with Seamonkey or Konqueror.  Also, in the last hour that I tried OpenSUSE, the Install/Uninstall Software text seemed to be ripped too.

I'm using a large amount of Intel parts in my laptop and I'm damn sure that it's similar to what quite a few newer laptops have too.  *buntu can't even get the god damn settings right on the LiveCD, and try to trick me that it's using the right settings by saying it's "1280x800" when I actually installed it.  I doubt EasyUbuntu or Automatix would have fixed anything nor did I even know about these when I installed 6.06.  These are things people need to freaking know without going to Ubuntu's forums.

Is Adobe crap just because Photoshop and Flash isn't supported?
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2006 August 02, 00:47:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM, are you having Princess Bride/Monty Python flashbacks, or is it just me?

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006 August 02, 01:07:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is Adobe crap just because Photoshop and Flash isn't supported?

Adobe isn't the company it used to be. I used to love using Photoshop, but now even Gimp is as good as old PS4.0 was. Of course, I remember when Photoshop was a *Mac* program that had to be ported to Windows.

Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: 2006 August 02, 23:19:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had every reason to believe Dizzy was dead, given that the people I asked if they had seen Dizzy reported that he was dead, which matched observed evidence. Of course, there may have been some confusion over which Dizzy was dead. There are, apparently, multiple-Dizzys. Perhaps EA killed the wrong Dizzy.

I think that may be why he wanted to be known as dizzy2 Grin.

Welcome back, dizzy - I'm also glad you're not dead.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 August 03, 22:20:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But of course, JM wouldn't let him be dizzy2.  Therefore, he became dizzy.  Of course, he could have become dizzytwo or dizzy-two, but that just wouldn't be the same, now, would it?
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 August 03, 23:54:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rainbow!!   You're making me dizzy!   Shocked

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2006 August 04, 00:09:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm making myself dizzy.  Of course, the convo in Sim Brynne's thread isn't helping either.  Lips sealed
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 August 04, 16:50:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Update: Computer upgraded.  Cool Grin

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2006 August 05, 11:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But of course, JM wouldn't let him be dizzy2.  Therefore, he became dizzy.  Of course, he could have become dizzytwo or dizzy-two, but that just wouldn't be the same, now, would it?
He did that. And was yelled at for it. We only have one Dizzy here.

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 August 05, 11:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He did that. And was yelled at for it. We only have one Dizzy here.
Then how can there be multiple Dizzys if we only have one??
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 August 07, 21:26:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh wow. You're alive. Welcome back! Cheesy
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2006 August 08, 04:58:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then how can there be multiple Dizzys if we only have one??
We only have one Dizzy HERE. There is clearly at least one, if not more, other Dizzys, which is why Dizzy was #2. Apparently, one of the other Dizzys was killed.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2006 August 08, 07:46:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a lame excuse to avoid admitting you were wrong.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 August 08, 07:54:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a lame excuse to avoid admitting you were wrong.
What a lame excuse to avoid admitting you are a stupid Ness. All these are known facts. We know that Dizzy commonly styles himself as "2" elsewhere, but number-names are forbidden here, and there is only one Dizzy here. When I started asking around about the whereabouts of Dizzy, he was reported dead. The reports were consistent with observed evidence, so I didn't conduct further inquiries. It is, however, possible that they were referring to one of the other Dizzys, and the pattern of murdering people would be consistent with EA's behaviors during TS1. So perhaps they whacked the wrong Dizzy.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2006 August 08, 07:56:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, no.  I freely admit to being a stupid Ness.

It saddens me to see such side stepping to avoid having to say: "oops, I was wrong" - it isn't that hard.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2006 August 08, 08:27:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* rainbow agrees with Ness.  Silly, obstinate Pescado.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: