More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 21:09:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The War Room
| | |-+  Chance Cards: A Quick Gambler's Guide
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Chance Cards: A Quick Gambler's Guide  (Read 176572 times)
fwiffo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Chance Cards: A Quick Gambler's Guide
« Reply #25 on: 2006 June 04, 01:28:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, something that hasn't been mentioned here, but should factor in to any chance card junkie's stategy...  You shouldn't leave money lying around unspent for chance cards to take away.  If you have more than a couple grand in cash, buy a bunch of art and stash it in your basement (preferrably someplace unreachable by burglars).  If you don't have money, chance cards can't take it away.  When you need to drop 20 grand on that expansion you've been saving up for, sell off some of the art.

With big monetary penalties nullified, a lot more chance cards become worthwhile.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 June 04, 01:33:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, something that hasn't been mentioned here, but should factor in to any chance card junkie's stategy...  You shouldn't leave money lying around unspent for chance cards to take away.  If you have more than a couple grand in cash, buy a bunch of art and stash it in your basement (preferrably someplace unreachable by burglars).  If you don't have money, chance cards can't take it away.  When you need to drop 20 grand on that expansion you've been saving up for, sell off some of the art.

Yes, but art depreciates in this game, so why would I do that to my Sims?
fwiffo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 June 04, 01:35:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, expensive art can appreciate or depreciate with apparently equal odds.  Usually it's only by a few percent anyway, so it makes a tiny difference at worst.  Even then, it's more than made up for by the improvement on the viability of chance cards.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 June 05, 06:33:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With big monetary penalties nullified, a lot more chance cards become worthwhile.
Big monetary penalties isn't even the big deal. For the most part, money chance cards are a profitable gamble. The primary reason many chance cards are regarded as a losing proposition is because they often involve gambling a high-level skillpoint (rather difficult to gain) in exchange for unusable bonus skillpoints, or petty change. For the most part, pure cash gambles are favorable odds. Gambling the loss of a logic point in exchange for a $50 is NOT a good idea.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 June 13, 22:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing I haven't heard (or seen happen in game yet) is what happens if a chance card docks you more money than you actually have? Do you go into pseudo debt, or does it just take all the cash you've got?

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 June 13, 22:42:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It just takes all the cash you have - your sim won't go into debt to pay a chance card.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 June 14, 00:24:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, your sim's household cash goes to $0.
Alvaron
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Question on chance card offers
« Reply #32 on: 2006 September 22, 08:23:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question for all you chance card gurus: let's say your permaplat sim is late to work (because they skipped the carpool and drove their car). Will you be offered a chance card that day? I've never had it happen and I wonder if anyone else has.

Thanks in advance.

Old Texan Proverb: engage brain before engaging fingers.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 September 22, 08:46:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's possible, but chance cards are rare in any case, and tend to be checked around the midpoint of a job interval, which you might miss if you're not there before then.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
striker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 October 26, 11:25:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey JMP, can you find out the odds for the new pets chance cards?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Question on chance card offers
« Reply #35 on: 2006 October 26, 23:19:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question for all you chance card gurus: let's say your permaplat sim is late to work (because they skipped the carpool and drove their car). Will you be offered a chance card that day? I've never had it happen and I wonder if anyone else has.
It's possible, but not if you're REALLY late because you'll have gone way past the chance card trigger point.

cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
Chance Cards: A Quick Gambler's Guide update?
« Reply #36 on: 2007 March 08, 18:17:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any chance we could get the new careers placed in here as well?

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
Re: Chance Cards: A Quick Gambler's Guide update?
« Reply #37 on: 2007 March 08, 18:47:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please hold while I transfer your post to the appropriate place.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 March 08, 21:47:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh, i did want to post in this thread, but a biiiig guy came up and told me that Necromancy is bad m'kay, so i decided on the general forum instead.

Thanks for the reroute tho Smiley

And thanks for the update Cheesy

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 March 08, 21:50:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are certain rare instances where Necromancy is allowed; however, we expect people to use wisdom in choosing when to do so.  Smiley
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 March 10, 18:03:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While im ressurrecting it, any chance we can get the pet keywords as well?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 March 10, 18:10:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While im ressurrecting it, any chance we can get the pet keywords as well?
Pets don't have skills, so they can't lose skillpoints. I can look into the odds table, though.

striker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 April 03, 21:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey JMP, any chance of getting the odds for the new seasons chance cards?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 April 03, 23:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey JMP, any chance of getting the odds for the new seasons chance cards?

Reading is Fun-damental -- they were added on the 8th...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 April 03, 23:35:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, I never noticed the original post had been edited.  That's what I get for only going to new posts, I miss edits like this.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2007 April 03, 23:53:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me too.  Sad   Why are there keywords only for Adventurer and Education, though?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2007 April 04, 04:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me too.  Sad   Why are there keywords only for Adventurer and Education, though?
Either I haven't had the chance to play the others, or because they all sucked and weren't worth the risk of gambling on.

JaneK
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007 April 05, 11:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think this is related to chance cards, its a problem I am having and have searched and searched all the boards I belong to and have found no one else with this complaint. Many of my simmies work all the way to the top of their career and never get plat and still have the lifetime want to become what they already are. Undecided I have been forced to try to get them demoted in order for them to get justice. After pondering why this might be occurring  I remembered that at least one of them got to the top of their career via a chance card promotion. Could that be the cause of my glitch? I may have failed to send them back to work immediately in their personal vehicle and therefore the official promotional process never took place. Does that sound possible?  Anyway the demotion-remotion strategy is a pain but it works.

Also, since I hate having my sims fired I always save before they go to work. If they lose all their dough, get demoted, lose skills I just suck it up. But if they get fired-I reload. Grin

Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2007 April 05, 11:23:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not a clue. I would be inclined to blame the non-Awesome.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2007 April 05, 16:43:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could always use the lot-debugger in the Director's Cut to permaplat them in the meantime. That's bandaiding a hatchet wound, but at least the sim is happy. Do they get the memory of reaching the top?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: