More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 09:56:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  neighborhood view weirdness
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: neighborhood view weirdness  (Read 6085 times)
HelloKit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
neighborhood view weirdness
« on: 2006 July 16, 01:51:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Recently my game has started fouling up the neighborhood view representations of some of my houses when I save them. Sections of wall, and sometimes an entire level, are missing. I'm attaching a couple of pics to show what I'm talking about. Some of them correct themselves after I've played and saved them again, but I'd like to figure out what's causing it in the first place and stop it if possible. Anyone know?

Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: neighborhood view weirdness
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 16, 10:24:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, my guess is that your video card can't handle it all at once and just 'skips' certain parts.
But hey, at least your neighbourhood looks better than mine.  In my game all trees seem to have fused into one green spikey object, and my community lots display as emty plots with some vague blobs on them.

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 16, 10:37:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, these are artifacts caused by roofing. I'm noticing in many cases you're using gable roofings, and anytime those touch a wall, that entire wall is likely to simply disappear in the neighborhood view. In order to avoid this, you have to draw the roof into the house itself, then "overwrite" it with an overhead roof so that it doesn't block usage. Very complicated and stuff.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 16, 11:07:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with JM. Roofing should be completed so that it covers each floor where any roof is required and subsequent storeys are then added by building "through" the existing roof. Doing this prevents many of the otherwise disfiguring roofing artifacts from occurring and also makes possible the construction of some types of shed roof that are otherwise impossible to build. Some roof-related artifacts are almost impossible to avoid (without redesign of the underlying walls) and by following the principle of roofing each floor as you go helps you spot and (re)design out such problems before the house construction has advanced to point where correction is a major chore.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 16, 12:37:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't the house in the second photo an original one in Pleasantview or did we happen to download the same one?
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 16, 12:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't look like a Maxis design to me. For one thing the stairs appear to be in a sensible location Roll Eyes

me shit
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
HelloKit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 16, 13:30:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't look like a Maxis design to me. For one thing the stairs appear to be in a sensible location Roll Eyes

LOL... no, it is a Maxis original, and I haven't altered it in any way.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 16, 15:30:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really?  I don't recognize it at all.  Must have been one of the expensive ones I bulldozed to make way for some cheaper tract housing. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 16, 16:22:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL back atcha. So it is.

I just finished playing around with it. There's a definitive roofing glitch-artifact where the roof joins against the tower. The tower's roof causes the valley area, where the main roof meets the tower, to disappear. This is due to the way the game engine makes the uppermost roof supercede any lower level roofs. I don't know whether this the direct cause of the neighborhood view display problems. My instinct would be to say it isn't; but it probably doesn't help. I succeeded in getting a better design (in my opinion) but then had the problem of the main roof displaying inside the upper (clerestory) level of the tower/turret ... this may be due to the absence of a floor. Because I am not awesome and spend most of my time just sucking I failed to notice that problem until after I examined the screenshot (below) - I imagine that bunging in a floor would fix the problem and it wouldn't matter much since floors can't be seen from below anyway ... Roll Eyes

me shit
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 16, 17:24:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never seen that house before. I do recognize what appears to be the Pleasant house, but that would make this one in Pleasantview, and there are no turret towers in Pleasantview because it predates OFB and NL roofing.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 16, 17:41:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the fancy house on Wright Way street. I believe Merelly said she redid the roof to appear as it does now.

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 16, 21:09:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Silly Pescado ...  Roll Eyes

me shit
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 July 17, 02:30:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just finished playing around with it. There's a definitive roofing glitch-artifact where the roof joins against the tower. The tower's roof causes the valley area, where the main roof meets the tower, to disappear. This is due to the way the game engine makes the uppermost roof supercede any lower level roofs. I don't know whether this the direct cause of the neighborhood view display problems. My instinct would be to say it isn't; but it probably doesn't help. I succeeded in getting a better design (in my opinion) but then had the problem of the main roof displaying inside the upper (clerestory) level of the tower/turret ... this may be due to the absence of a floor.
OFB special roofs don't count as roofs in the same way, and will not overwrite a roof that is underneath it. Thus using it for the tower roof causes the regular roof to still be in the tower.

Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 July 17, 08:18:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Silly me ...

Thanks JM. I have not used the OFB roofs much because, like so many Maxis' goodies, they are not as charming as they are mal-charmed. The news that they "don't count as roofs" is one more reason not to use them. Like I said I was just playing around with the roof problem on a Maxis designed house, which (by definition) was way beyond any effective fixing.

me shit
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 July 17, 09:09:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like the one with the pagoda thing at the bottom of the garden to me.  Cassandra & Darren lived in it in my original Pleasantview, but nobody does in my second version. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: