More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:36:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Lying Low Challenge
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Lying Low Challenge  (Read 34898 times)
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
Re: Lying Low Challenge
« Reply #25 on: 2006 August 02, 16:48:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can you telephone someone you haven't met?

Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 August 02, 16:53:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can if you're hiring people using the telephone.

All generalizations are false, including this one.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 August 02, 23:26:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can still see a few loopholes. Mostly, your ability to gain unlimited points from days of platinum, provided you can stay alive through various means, means you can still rack up unlimited +score. Being hired even if you don't meet the boss is right out, however, since you cannot receive money from another lot, nor earn money from another lot, which being an employee would pay you. The clarification on career awards is slightly vague, however, since you *CAN* earn career rewards without going to work.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
travellersside
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 September 04, 14:09:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes it's necromancy, but what they hey - this is a slow forum, and it's only being bumped up a half dozen positions.

Using Baratron's rules:
Start a serious sim
Move into empty small lot.
Get a chess set and a chair.
Get logic 3.
Sell chess set and chair.
Meditate.
Wake up as needed (bills, most likely) then meditate again.

Very, very dull, but social won't drop much in the tinsy tiny bits where you're awake.

Your aspiration meter won't be much good, but with no items on the lot, you're almost certainly going to have wants to buy them. Do so and then stash them in your inventory until the next day when you re-sell them. Odds are that you'll spend a decent amount of time in platinum due to this.

Almost effortless, and insanely dull, but you'll get a decent to good score at the end.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 September 04, 14:10:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ASP no longer decays while meditating, so you'll be permaplatted. If you do it on an empty lot as, say, a vampire, though, you could potentially keep it going forever. And ever. And ever. So you can milk an unlimited supply of points at 4/day, meaning your score is effectively infinite. A puny, weak challenge from a puny, weak Rohina. At least Pinstar's new challenge required some cleverness to abuse.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 September 04, 14:51:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lying low in real life is not a challenge. Just really really boring. So, no wonder in TS2 it would be the same way.

Now if you want a related challenge that IS difficult, try being a highly social sim (20+ best friends) and avoid meeting x number of sims.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 September 04, 18:25:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to say, AGAIN, this was not my challenge. I was just reporting on it, like I did with the Pinstar one.

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 September 04, 18:53:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ASP no longer decays while meditating, so you'll be permaplatted. If you do it on an empty lot as, say, a vampire, though, you could potentially keep it going forever. And ever. And ever. So you can milk an unlimited supply of points at 4/day, meaning your score is effectively infinite. A puny, weak challenge from a puny, weak Rohina. At least Pinstar's new challenge required some cleverness to abuse.

Actually, your score wouldn't be infinite. It would be arbitrarily large. There is a difference.

And infinity isn't very fun anyway. Can't get into an arms race with it, like you can with arbitrarily large numbers. And "arbitrarily large" is more fun to say.
Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2006 September 04, 20:39:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes it's necromancy, but what they hey - this is a slow forum, and it's only being bumped up a half dozen positions.
I don't think Necromancy applies to the Challenges forum - the Challenges are designed to be available and commentable on at any time.

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 September 05, 07:38:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lying low in real life is not a challenge. Just really really boring. So, no wonder in TS2 it would be the same way.

Not boring if you have a computer, games and the Internet.  Grin

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 September 19, 00:09:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think Necromancy applies to the Challenges forum - the Challenges are designed to be available and commentable on at any time.

With that in mind... I think this challenge is a cool idea. It just needs to be more challenging.

I'm going to try this with Email rules tacked on.

Make an Adult (not YA) in CAS
10 outgoing
Popularity aspiration

Any addition of a Met Person memory: Immediate disqualification.
No walls (Fences are acceptable for repelling wildlife)
No toilet (you may not buy a toilet to satisfy a Want, either)
No cheats (except for fixing bugs)
No money from other lots (including: careers, OFB jobs, community by-the-hour jobs, money orders, any 3rd party mod that allows money transfer). Write Novel is okay but you have to watch carefully so they don't chat. Money trees are okay. Selling paintings is okay. Playing an instrument for tips is okay if you can manage not to meet anyone.
No meditating.
No vampires!
Asp and career rewards are okay if you acquire them legitimately without disqualifying yourself. They must be bought with points if applicable.

Challenge ends when your sim transitions to Elder.

Scoring:
+1 point for every 24 hours in platinum (cumulative, non-contiguous)
+1 point for every $1000 of net worth more than you started with (you may start with less than but not more than 20K)
-7 points for each appearance of Social Bunny
-7 points for each aspiration failure (Therapist incident)
-infinity points for each Met New Sim memory
-infinity points for each bladder failure

Hopefully this will be somewhat more awesome than the previous revisions, and worth resurrecting the thread.

Quote from: Liz
I find it particularly disingenuous of Seabolt to attempt to claim that "Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience." Apparently 'organic' is code for "We thought of some places we can stick it." Should they run out of ideas, I could gladly recommend some nice, organic place
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 September 19, 00:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried this challenge? Because it is hard enough meeting the needs of a sim with 10 outgoing without having him freeze to death.

lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 September 19, 00:43:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't tried it with the Absurd Temperature Fluctuations Expansion, no. I'm doing the Lying Low Email challenge right now and I'm going to have a pretty crappy score but it's not impossible. It's sure easier than the Ethiopian Challenge.

Edit: It often happens that all his scores are maxed out except for Social. But it's really not that hard. The Email thing hardly even makes a difference if there is no weather to be exposed to, except that you can't buy burglar or fire alarms, or the cheap mirror. Laying Low sims are well suited to being Email sims anyway, as the 10 outgoing facilitates bush use.

I guess it would be a lot harder with a female sim, though. Still, it's not much of a challenge if you are allowed to meet people and just take the penalty.

You should be allowed to "utilize" other sims without meeting them (you can't control them through cheats or testing features though).

I think it might be easier if you are allowed to use the Lot Debugger to upgrade them to 6 wants... you'd have better chances of rolling wants that you can satisfy without disqualifying yourself. I didn't do that though because it felt like cheating, personally.

The no walls restriction is almost irrelevant if you can use fences. Managing a laying low + email sim where you couldn't block him off from visitors would be significantly harder. With fences, you can just barricade him completely, or, if you have OFB, just lock the gate.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 19, 22:12:10 by lowbart » Logged

I find it particularly disingenuous of Seabolt to attempt to claim that "Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience." Apparently 'organic' is code for "We thought of some places we can stick it." Should they run out of ideas, I could gladly recommend some nice, organic place
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 September 20, 06:25:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Visitors typically can't get at your sim anyway unless they're greeted, which you can't do. Plus, the point penalty doesn't matter because there is an infinite supply of positive points. This is why my challenges DO NOT GIVE POSITIVE POINTS OUT. Notice how there are only negative points in the standard rules!

lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 September 20, 17:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only the original rules allow vampires and my version prohibits meditating.

How else do you get infinite points if you're limited to human sims? Can the elixir be used to prolong life indefinitely? I thought it only slowed you down.

If it bothers you that much, just ignore the two rules that allow positive points.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 September 22, 05:44:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How else do you get infinite points if you're limited to human sims? Can the elixir be used to prolong life indefinitely? I thought it only slowed you down.
An elixir is worth 15 days of additional life and costs about 30K points, so in order to stay alive forever, you only need to net about 2K ASP/day average. Pretty trivial there.

lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 September 22, 18:59:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it bothers you that much, just ignore the two rules that allow positive points.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 September 22, 19:13:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not bothered, I'm just saying this challenge is trivially solved.

Charamei
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2008 April 03, 10:53:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MOAR necromancy, sorry. There's an even bigger loophole here:

Merging households = no 'Met Sim' memory.

Just merge another Sim into the lot. Problem solved :p
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 April 03, 11:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MOAR necromancy, sorry. There's an even bigger loophole here:

Merging households = no 'Met Sim' memory.

Just merge another Sim into the lot. Problem solved :p

You haven't read the bold part, have you:

3. Try to keep them from going into Aspiration Failure...and try to keep the Social Bunny away. they MAY NOT meet anyone. Ever. They must stay alone.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Charamei
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008 April 03, 11:18:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gah! *facekeyboard*
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: