More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 02:36:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Is there a micromanagers anonymous?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is there a micromanagers anonymous?  (Read 14399 times)
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
Re: Is there a micromanagers anonymous?
« Reply #25 on: 2006 July 13, 17:27:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think personality emerges when you torture them, or when things don't go so well. I have a sim with 10 outgoing points who is not currently allowed to meet anyone. He has taken to drink. I've never had an alcoholic sim before. That's personality.

Meska
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 July 13, 18:10:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello my name is Meska and I am a micromanger.

Seriously. *laughs* My toddlers are constantly in front of a learning toy. My children get off the bus do their homework and then skill until bedtime with time taken somewhere along the line for parents to encourage the personality traits I find them lacking. No lazy or sloppy sims allowed! Upon reaching teen they are always given the Knowledge aspiration and nine times out of ten it rolls up the 'max out 7 skills' LTW. Which means they are perma-plat within a few days of turning teen and can then concentrate on achieving all the college scholorships. College is essentially friend-making camp since the sims already have all their skills. Changing aspiration to Popularity halfway through often rolls up another LTW based on number of friends which is so easily accomplished. Graduating with honors and about 25 bestfriends and sometimes a love-interest is standard. Etc etc etc. Even using the expensiveNPC and no20khandouts and harderjobs hacks and ignoring the use of aspiration rewards except for smartmilk there isn't much challenge left. There's been some interesting suggestions though in this thread maybe you won't be the only one to "get help" with their "problem" *laughs*

"Ten percent of nothin' is, let me do the math here...nothin' and a nothin', carry the nothin'..."
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2006 July 13, 18:36:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This style of play sounds incredibly boring. Seriously, what satisfaction does one get from it? *curious, not accusing*

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 July 13, 20:52:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This style of play sounds incredibly boring. Seriously, what satisfaction does one get from it? *curious, not accusing*
It's a compulsion of sorts. All the MATY efficiency hacks don't help matters.

I'm trying to get away from it myself.

I was never like this with TS1. Then again, back then sims had all the time in the world, an eternity, to accomplish whatever. Now they don't. And since I like the aging cycle and hate elixir, there's an element of panic. THERE'S NO TIME, MAN! But really, there's plenty. That's OCD and/or perfectionism for you.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 July 13, 21:34:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really think the best way not to get caught in the "all my sims are the best" trap is to not do anything much unless they roll up wants for it (and if you don't have room to lock it and the want goes away, well the sim lost interest).

There was a thread on here awhile back with "rules you play by to make it harder" kinds of things and using those has added a lot to my gameplay.

Now I rarely click on toddlers - only fulfilling their wants if the parents have a desire to do so or for some gameplay reason it seems appropriate to me (this way some sims are not good parents). They guess at needs or do them autonomously, don't always get them potty trained or teach them to walk. I put down all kinds of toys (not just the skill ones) for families I see as "well-to-do" (or if the parents bring them home) and very few for poor families. The toddlers do whatever they want.

For kids, if they roll up a want for something - to earn a skill point or do homework or make a friend, they do it. And if they don't, they don't. Anything they do autonomously also counts as a want (dancing with their parents) and I might run with that as long as it seems like they want to. I let them bring home whatever friends they just do, or invite over anyone they want to and they play or don't as they please. If either a child or the parent has a want for them to go to private school, I'll send them. Otherwise I don't. If I think a parent cares, they'll make the kids do homework, but if the parent doesn't care and neither does the kid, they won't and if they get taken away 'oh well'. I grow the townie kids they know up with them.

When they hit teen, I'll either randomly roll for aspiration or choose it based on the things they liked doing as kids if it seems appropriate. I'm going to add some of that "good kid/black sheep" stuff too - that's a great idea :)

On dates, I only look at the wants for the date and fulfill those (was it Ste who said "afterall dating is about making sure your date has a good time? :) They only ask people out if they have the want, and they sometimes stand them up because they lost the desire meanwhile.

As all teens want to go to college :p (I hate this), I make them or the parents (if the parents care) pay for it and if they can't afford it, they don't go. If they don't have enough money for the next semester, they drop out too. They only do homework, go to class, term papers, etc. if they have wants for them. Oh and I use the influence mod thing so they don't constantly roll up wants to influence someone else to do their work (just sometimes).

Etc. etc. through their lives, they marry if *both* sims have the want, have kids if they both do, get jobs based on that (whether they're aspiration appropirate or not) etc.

All when I'm free-playing, of course. If I'm storytelling, they do what *I* want :) Otherwise though, I'm trying to divorce myself from the sim in question - not to think if they're a bad parent, I'm a bad parent or a bad god. I think that's how I got in trouble - I saw their accomplishments as mine. They're more like kids. I give them options, but they choose what they're going to do (and I don't care how the code decides what they choose :)

Works for me anyways.

Unsouper
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2006 July 14, 03:32:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sagana, that was an excellent post. Truly excellent.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2006 July 14, 05:45:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sagana, that was an excellent post. Truly excellent.

Agreed. Some excellent ideas/tips.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 July 14, 07:04:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Sagana, that actually helps a lot!

All generalizations are false, including this one.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 July 14, 20:45:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you :)

It all comes from someone else originally, a bit here and there. I'm glad there was something in there useful to you :)

Unsouper
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 July 14, 23:06:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*playing devil's advocate*

Hi, I'm ElfPuddle. I'm a compulsive micromanager...AND I LIKE IT.

Maybe it makes up for a lack of control in my real life?

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 July 14, 23:12:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi, I'm ElfPuddle. I'm a compulsive micromanager...AND I LIKE IT.

Compulsive is one thing.  Obsessive compulsive is another, much less likable thing.

ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 July 17, 17:00:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.sims2community.com/showthread.php?t=13587&page=1

I've been doing the Asylum challange. I'm a micromanager too, but it was sadly halarious to watch 7 sims burn the kitchen down.

All your base are belong to us.
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 July 17, 17:15:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine all died within the second hour of play (real-time).  I think I spent more time setting it all up than actually watching them die.

ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 July 17, 18:51:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy Mine waited 4 whole Sim days Cheesy

All your base are belong to us.
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 July 17, 22:03:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I micromanage to a certain degree, but I've been pulling back some. When I had some of my favorite sims graduate from college and get their LTW within a day, I got a bit depressed at being bored with them.

There are a couple of things I 'manage' my sims into doing:
 - No potty accidents. If they're low, I tell them to go if they haven't already.
 - No passing out and sleep in your own goddamn bed. If they're about to pass out, I make them go to their bed rather than nap or climb into someone else's bed (usually mom and dad's)
 - Family Dinners. I usually have one sim serve a meal and let the rest of the family come to it. I like the socialization it gives.

I originally had started planning out their mates and relationships until two of my early sims threw a wrench in my works. Aiden and Joey were best friends. Both knowledge Sims, they went to college together. First night of college, one of them flirted with the other and WHAM. They became the most romantic couple I've got. They didn't even have any lightning bolts before the flirt.

Avalikia
Furry Lover
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 July 18, 06:52:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What, you mean you actually left their queue empty long enough for them to do that themselves?

ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 July 18, 07:11:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm "backing off" micromanaging if each sim has less than six actions in queue.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 July 18, 08:15:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ha ha, this is what happened on my asylum challenge.
http://laverwinklesims.com/index.php?topic=445.0

I play more like Sagana's description in this thread. I let toddlers and children do pretty much what they want and don't bother skilling if the sim doesn't have a want. I don't play the game to watch sims endlessly skilling, I play to watch what happens and to make up stories.

I don't try to keep sims in platinum. I get them jobs from the newspaper or through simpe at the lowest level. If I want them to stay as a dishwasher because of their story, then that's the way it is. If bad things happen, I let them.

I did originally play where every sim had a perfect life - how boring that became. My play has really changed over the last several months. Talking of boring, I've stopped even sending sims to Uni. I use the FFS debugger to give them six wants slots and a major - because I like playing with six wants slots - but the Uni EP is just a boring grind for me and that's not why I play the sims. It shouldn't be like work. My adults usually flat for a while and have a good time, if I'm enjoying the sim I'll maybe give them a week back with elixir before they settle down to adult life.

Testing 2Jeffs autonomous mod has been a bit of an exercise in getting my inner control freak to behave, learning to let the sims go, to see if anything happens.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: