More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 21:21:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Stuck Open Doors
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Stuck Open Doors  (Read 4958 times)
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
Stuck Open Doors
« on: 2006 July 03, 20:58:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a Greek House set up for my sims that go to college and the front door on this house insists on staying open (it's the arched glass double doors). I have used move objects to replace it a couple of times, and every time the same thing happens... the door gets stuck open.

I don't really have this problem any place else, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the way the house is built.

The other weird thing about that house is that the resident's environment score drops to less than half whenever they're in that room... but I can't figure out what is causing the drop. They've got plenty of light, the good stereo, karoke machine, good couches, paintings on the wall... It's odd.

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Stuck Open Doors
« Reply #1 on: 2006 July 03, 21:04:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe there's an invisible something stuck on the floor, in front of the door?  Does the Lot Debugger pick up anything, or the Stuck Object Remover?
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 July 03, 21:11:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

for me doors that are stuck open usually happen with a ceiling light too close to the door...
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 July 03, 21:20:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

for me doors that are stuck open usually happen with a ceiling light too close to the door...

That may explain it. I initially had two of the little ceiling lights right in front of the door. I've since added better lights, but I don't know if I've done a move object on the door to replace it yet. I'll try that and see if maybe it works now.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 July 04, 02:29:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The door will close on its own once the offending light is removed, usually.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 July 04, 03:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

um, why are you doing move Objects to remove and replace the door?  Can you not just remove it normally in build mode?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 July 04, 03:04:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

um, why are you doing move Objects to remove and replace the door?  Can you not just remove it normally in build mode?
Doors jammed open can't be moved normally until they close.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 July 04, 04:10:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to turn moveobjects on to remove doors, especially dorm doors.  Have had to do that since the patch.  Have had to do a lot of things since the patch.  All bad.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 July 04, 09:11:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dorm doors in regular hoods? I have had occasional problems with stuck doors (they are still "in use") if there is only one tile between the door and stairs. It doesn't always happen, but it seems to fix it by creating a 2 tile space if this happens to be the way your door/porch is.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 July 04, 12:51:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Environment drop is usually rectified if you bulldoze a tile of wall and rebuild it. The stuck door is probably a ceiling light, just as ness pointed out.

Let the Beast inside you free!
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 July 04, 16:00:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, ceiling lights are the culprits. I have this happen all the time in my neighborhood homes, as I am too lazy to decorate properly with lamps. So I just spam the room with ceiling lights until it is shiny.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 July 04, 16:22:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never use lamps, just ceiling lights. Why take up space on the floor?

starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 July 04, 16:30:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I learned the hard way with Inge's hack to be REALLY sure the lamps were in the right place before I set it to "make ceiling lamps invisible."   Tongue

minonda
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 July 05, 01:13:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Regarding doors that won't close, I had one of those yesterday. It was a double-door in a house in Pleasantview (not one that I built). I tried to remove the door so I could replace it, and of course it said it was 'in use', so that didn't work. I didn't feel like bothering to do the moveobjects thing, and was going to figure it out later, but I inadvertently fixed it. I had placed a wall phone on the wall that the door opened on, so the open door was blocking the phone. I moved the phone so the Sims could get to it, and immediately the door closed. Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: 2006 July 05, 01:33:55 by minonda » Logged
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 July 05, 13:04:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

......mutters baaaaaaaaaa and heads off to move ceiling lights and phones  and delete the odd chunk of wall...........

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 July 05, 18:44:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep... it was the ceiling lights. I'd replaced most of the cheapies with some nicer ones, but two of the little ones got left right in front of the door. I yanked those and voila! The door now opens and closes without a problem.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: