More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 12:42:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Are you going to buy Nightlife?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: So, this Nightlife expansion... Will you buy it?  (Voting closed: 2005 August 29, 16:17:51)
Yes - as soon as it's released. - 37 (42%)
Yes - but only after JMP's "fixed" it. - 35 (39.8%)
Yes - but only after the standalone University patch is released. - 11 (12.5%)
Maybe - it depends if I can afford it. - 3 (3.4%)
No - I'm not giving EA any more money. - 2 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 78

Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Are you going to buy Nightlife?  (Read 19442 times)
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
Are you going to buy Nightlife?
« on: 2005 August 22, 16:17:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A vaguely-topical poll, because people have been asking, and I'm curious Cheesy.

Of course, if you want to pick an option that isn't on the list, or you want to add more to your answer - add a comment Smiley.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
Re: Are you going to buy Nightlife?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 22, 16:42:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I answered 1, but it's actually a combination of 1 & 2, because by the time we get it over here, most of the main glitches will have been discovered and sorted.  There are SOME advantages to being transatlantically-challenged.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
kasumiarmstrong
Asinine Airhead

moof

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 22, 16:59:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I'll get it...  It's always nice to have the dating thing a part of the simmie's life.  It'll be good for stories.
Besides, more objects are good.  Hacks to use 'em where they shouldn't be is better.  And cars... need cars.  Grin

Sun Ce: Father, let me have the meatbun!
Sun Jian: This shall be your first meatbun.  I shall expect good things.
Sun Jian to Huang Gai: Take care of him.
notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 22, 16:59:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll probably buy it as soon as it's released, but I'm only going to send tester Sims in test neighborhoods downtown until the egregious  major issues have been discovered and patched.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 22, 17:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I probably buy it as soon as I have the money for it and hopefully by then the bugs are already fixed by JM.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

Where'd my avatar go? This will do for now.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 22, 17:07:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I answered 5, but I could be swayed if everyone here said it was good.

I think I hit the roof over this whole patch/sucky game nonsense yesterday. I've spent the last week backing up my computer and removing programs after my hard drive hit full. This required using Clone CD and Nero to burn copies of my files. Well, I've had both programs on my computer since I bought Sims 2 and never had a problem with it. After burning the last disk, I start up Sims 2 and get the "You have evil CD/DVD emulation software on your computer. You can't play the game you paid $50 for unless you remove these other programs that you are using for perfectly legal means" error window. I threw a fit. Then I uninstalled Clone CD and Nero but will reinstall them later when needed.

After that, I don't think I could stomach throwing away anymore money on a game that decides what I can and can't have on my own computer after I legally purchased said game.
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 22, 17:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I answered 5, but I could be swayed if everyone here said it was good.

I think I hit the roof over this whole patch/sucky game nonsense yesterday. I've spent the last week backing up my computer and removing programs after my hard drive hit full. This required using Clone CD and Nero to burn copies of my files. Well, I've had both programs on my computer since I bought Sims 2 and never had a problem with it. After burning the last disk, I start up Sims 2 and get the "You have evil CD/DVD emulation software on your computer. You can't play the game you paid $50 for unless you remove these other programs that you are using for perfectly legal means" error window. I threw a fit. Then I uninstalled Clone CD and Nero but will reinstall them later when needed.

After that, I don't think I could stomach throwing away anymore money on a game that decides what I can and can't have on my own computer after I legally purchased said game.

That's strange, because Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools which are FAR more evil programs seem to not affect my game at all.  Roll Eyes
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 22, 17:17:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I'm in Finland it will take at least a week after the US gets it for us to get it. If I hear a lot of bad about the EP, I'll not get it, but it would have to be quite a lot of bad. I really, REALLY want that DJ table...

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 22, 17:20:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's strange, because Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools which are FAR more evil programs seem to not affect my game at all.  Roll Eyes

I use Daemon tools to play the game.  I've never had a problem.  I don't like using the actual discs (which I do have btw) because my kids take discs out of the drives and leave them getting scratched all over the place.

Chris

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 22, 17:27:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've already pre-ordered.  I am such a geek. Undecided
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 22, 17:37:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Daemon tools to play the game.  I've never had a problem.  I don't like using the actual discs (which I do have btw) because my kids take discs out of the drives and leave them getting scratched all over the place.

Chris

Same here - not to mention that I'm a compulsive sloppy sim that just can't keep track of all my CD's.  Tongue
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 22, 17:47:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I answered one, but it's more 1 & 2. I'll probably make a test neighborhood and play in that w/ Nightlife until JMP can take a look at Nightlife.

Besides, between school, work and my newfound love for WoW, my Simming time has been diminished lately.  Embarrassed
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 22, 17:53:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I chose option 1, but as Ancient Sim said, it's a bit of both 1 and 2 for me. Actually, it is more of a totally different option, in that I've already pre-ordered it, so I guess technically I've already bought it. Tongue

But anyhew, I most likely may not install it until after Pescado and twojeffs and dizzy and all the other great modders manage to update their hacks. I think I waited a bit after daysies had a decent faq up and running. Once it was confirmed that some of the existing hacks were still working and others were determined to be conflicts, I adjusted my hacks folders accordingly and installed Uni. I toyed around a bit with the new features, but I didn't seriously play until after a lot of hacks had been properly updated. Tongue

Anyhew, I pre-ordered because:

A) I wanted the pre-order bonus. I'm a sucker for bonuses. Even if it is supposedly somewhat crappy.

B) I had an EA Games 15$ coupon which I used at the EA store online. Even if the shipping is 5$, it still ends up being cheaper than if I had to buy it in the store.

C) EA usually ships fairly soon, so even it if predicts that it will take a week or 5-7 days after release, it really gets to me, usually in 3 days or less. I've pretty much done this with all the Sims expansions going back to the original, and for the most part, it usually only took 2 days. There was probably one or two occassions where it took 3 days, and the other was like 5 days or something. But I think those times I had pre-ordered fairly late. The other times, I had pre-ordered pretty much as soon as they were available on the EA store website.

I dunno if I'd be brave enough to install it before fixes and try and test things and break things to find bugs. Tongue I suppose I could just play on my Hack Testing account instead of my real account and see what breaks and what not. I'll just have to be really patient and resist the temptation of playing my real game until all possible bugs/conflicts are worked out.

Anyhew, I'm a freak like that. I'm such a video game crack whore, I can't really wait to get the latest games. I spend far too much money that I don't have on video games. I've been trying to really restrain myself and wait on certain games. Especially now that there are PS2 Greatest Hits, XBOX Platinum Hits, and GameCube Player's Choice with some of the best games at reduced price. It's just incredibly hard to resist wanting to buy games as soon as they are released. But it kinda depresses me when I go to a store and see all the games I have for more than half off. Tongue

I guess it's a tough trade off between immediate satisfaction and enjoyment versus saved money. If I had waited, I pretty much could by two and a half games for the price of one totally brand new game. Tongue On the other hand, the excitement sort of dies down around a game that is 9months to a year plus old. That isn't so bad, but for games that are online, like Resident Evil Outbreak, if you wait that long, there's hardly anyone good to play with online anymore.

Anyhew, I really should learn to curb my spending. Especially with PS3 coming around the corner. And I really would like to get a DS and a PSP too. Roll Eyes Well... I'm babbling off topic now so I'll shut up.

Ste

LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 22, 18:17:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the past is any way similar to the future, then Nightlife will be plagued by several game-stopping, caused by simple game functions, such as eating a grilled cheese sandwich or purchasin a car.

However, the past will also play out similarly in that I will buy the game as soon as it's released, even though JM won't be able to "fix" it until he gets his copy, which will be in October or when the sun goes out, whichever is later.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

Where'd my avatar go? This will do for now.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 22, 18:42:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My roomie had the same problem when he first got the game (he had Nero, Clone CD, Alcohol, etc.). He ended up getting a no CD crack to work around it because there was no way he was taking anything off with all the CD burning he does. I think it has something to do with the SafeDisc protection which specifically bans Nero, Clone CD and Roxio, which is ridiculous considering that anyone who buys a computer these days with a burner purchases one of these programs in order to use it. I think Dell uses Roxio exclusively, which (I don't know this for sure as I haven't purchased a Dell) I think you purchase as part of your software bundle. I had something similar when I got a Gateway way back when.

I can understand their (EA's) need to prohibit copyright infringement, but I don't see where that gives them the right to dictate to the paying customer what programs he/she can keep on his/her own computer. I mean, customer support advises you to back up your game frequently, but how do you do that after they make you uninstall your CD burning software?  Huh  I just think that EA/Maxis is out of line demanding that their customers not use programs they dislike while at the same time not bothering to give them a working game.

I may get myself illegal copies from now on just to spite them.  Angry
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 22, 19:05:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's strange, because Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools which are FAR more evil programs seem to not affect my game at all.?Roll Eyes

My roomie had the same problem when he first got the game (he had Nero, Clone CD, Alcohol, etc.). He ended up getting a no CD crack to work around it because there was no way he was taking anything off with all the CD burning he does. I think it has something to do with the SafeDisc protection which specifically bans Nero, Clone CD and Roxio, which is ridiculous considering that anyone who buys a computer these days with a burner purchases one of these programs in order to use it. I think Dell uses Roxio exclusively, which (I don't know this for sure as I haven't purchased a Dell) I think you purchase as part of your software bundle. I had something similar when I got a Gateway way back when.

I can understand their (EA's) need to prohibit copyright infringement, but I don't see where that gives them the right to dictate to the paying customer what programs he/she can keep on his/her own computer. I mean, customer support advises you to back up your game frequently, but how do you do that after they make you uninstall your CD burning software? Huh 쟅 just think that EA/Maxis is out of line demanding that their customers not use programs they dislike while at the same time not bothering to give them a working game.

I may get myself illegal copies from now on just to spite them. ?Sad

All my three Dell's (at least they do not explode into a LFBVFS like my Compaq did.) came with Roxio but I deleted it on the computer with Sims 2 - before I had a chance to install it. Plus, from my past usage Roxio does not come with a lot of capability in terms of CD cloning, and quite a lot of games that I made backup copies did not work at all, that being the cause of why I deleted it...

As I always state to my friends who burn/download their programs as many modern young adults do: Illegal activity is ALWAYS exciting.
Do it, Doooo it! *Insidious voice* Anyway, you are discouraging capitalism and realizing the good old days of Soviet Russia, where game bought YOU!  Wink
« Last Edit: 2005 August 22, 19:23:07 by DuckSpeak » Logged
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 22, 19:20:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got it preordered already, consider me a geek as well.

Jen

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 22, 20:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1 - by mistake...Smiley

I pre-orderred it already a few months ago, not knowing that Uni will not have a patch. I am not going to touch "the monster", before I get JMP approval, and/or read other players' experiences.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 22, 20:19:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had Nero installed on my other computer and never got the "you're evil" message, thank God. I burn a lot of cds and would not want to have to uninstall that. I also have Nero for my laptop. It's actually not installed, yet, but since the laptop has a cd/dvd burner, it came with a nero disk. I'm not installing that until after purchasing Nightlife, I've now decided.
I answered 1. I admit I will make a mad dash to Game Stop the day it is released. I will then install it, and my romance sims will once again be slapped all over the place for giving backrubs, the maid will be obsessed with coffee cups, kicky bags will get invisibly stuck in front of refrigerators, the phone will ring non-stop, and strangers will obsessively take turns asking each other and to dance and getting rejected. But, yes, I'll still be the first in line.
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 22, 20:58:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How's this for uber-geekiness...I pre-ordered TWO copies. One for me, one for the son. Yeah, we have 3 people living in this house and 3 computers. We don't do that whole sharing thing very well.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 22, 21:13:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I answered 2, and can truthfully say, that I wont buy the game, untill JM has his hands on his copy, and are churning out fixes left and right.
No, not becuase I trust in JM that much (I do, but only because he is that much more awesome than me) it's because I am also transatlantically challenged...

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 22, 21:15:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(sigh)  I preordered a couple of weeks ago.  I've never pre-ordered before, but everyone seems to get theirs quicker by pre-ordering than by waiting on it to come into the store.  With Uni, I had to work late that day, and then go back into work that evening, so it was a major pain in the rear to my local video game store.  But I managed.   Grin  And I stayed up playing and posting, "Why the he!! isn't this working!" on message boards until about 1:00 am.  Sad  

Days like that I wish I didn't have to work.  Why can't we just use our simming time as billable hours to EA Games.  My life would be so much easier!   Wink
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 22, 21:27:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think my first day of Uni-ness was spent installing the game repeatedly only to have it uninstall itself because of that stupid updating thing. Looking forward to see what treats Nightlife is waiting to throw at us.
breyerii
Town Crier
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 22, 22:27:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I chose the third option.

Maxis has a moral duty to patch its products, and a public, motivated boycotting is the strongest message the public can send them.
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 22, 23:17:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Waiting to hear what everyone else says about it then I'll get it.  I am planning on nuking my hood again anyway but will play in in current hood until it implodes.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: