More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 15:14:51

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Deleting memories for dummies
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Deleting memories for dummies  (Read 21634 times)
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
Deleting memories for dummies
« on: 2005 August 21, 13:45:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey. I recently noticed a batch of "jagged line" memoires going around my sims, and I want to clean up the hood a bit. I've also found a fair share of Unknown sims in my hood, so they have to go too, most of them. But, alas, I am somewhat unsure about which way to tackle this problem.

I know I shouldnt delete any unknown sims, without checking the memories of all my sims, to see if they show up there.

Other than that, which memories can I safely delete? And which ones are the ones that makes the jagged line memories? I have pescados fix in place, but it is still popping up now and then.

/edit: Typoes, as usual.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 21, 14:03:19 by cyperangel » Logged

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
Zythe
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Deleting memories for dummies
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 21, 13:56:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delete NO UNKNOWN SIMS unless you are using the old GUI, or 0.45l or 0.46 or SimPE and can make sure they aren't Grimmy, Hula or Therapist or important in another way. You can pretty much delete any memory as long as it's not a token memory like "Token - Sim Initialised" or "Token - Family Aspiration" or "Token - Foods Cooked Well" etc.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 21, 14:05:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I know I have more unknown sims, than the reaper and the hula girls, and the psychiatrist etc.. I reloaded the game when my last sim surprisingly had twins when it should have been a single birth (happened after I used the lot debugger) and two of the unknown sims files are the twins that never were.
Some unknown sims are people i created to get rid of the first 16 or so cas created "random" sims, when i prepare for child birth in the game. And some are just plain screwey. I have just counted the unknown sims, and there is a total of 76 unknown files in my neighbourhood. With the grim reaper, the hula girls, the psychiatrist etc, I still cant figure out where the other 66 came from... A lot of them also have the family instance of 0x0000

The thing I am most worried about, is still the memory deletion though.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 21, 14:17:27 by cyperangel » Logged

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 21, 15:07:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have an answer, I'm posting just to let you know that you are not alone in waiting for an absolute answer to your question, Cyper. So in the name of "memory deletion for dummies":

Bump.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 21, 15:12:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you. It is nice to know that I am not alone.

Now, this is how I think it works, by all means, correct me:

I am allowed to delete every memory that says : Invisible.
Except when it says invisible: Token.

And this should get rid of the jagged line memories?

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 21, 15:23:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Add me to the club. I have only recently started seeing jagged lines (rarely, but they're there) and I had been going through memories for the past several weeks. I also have the corrupt death fix. I must have left out something important. Or deleted the wrong thing.
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 22, 00:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<-- Raises hand.

I'm very familiar with SimPE when it comes to object retexturing, and then modifying the related files, but I don't even know what part of the program to use to delete memories; I never edit my Sims except in-game, with Merola's objects. I have fewer jagged line bubbles than before installing JMP's fixes, but they still pop up now and then, and I'm concerned that those are spreading.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 22, 09:53:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That makes 4 of us then.

I have assembled a few specific questions about memory editing, which I am hoping somebody out there knows the definitive dummies answer for:

1: Can I delete every [invisible] memory from a sim with the exception of the - token- memories?
2: If 1 is a yes, does that even include the memories that does not have an owner. Usually a memory is like this: [invisble] Sim A got a promotion(owned by Sim B)   Only some memories are missing that (owned by) bit.
3: Still assuming that tokens should not be deleted, is it ok if i set another owner on them? On a lot of my sims, the tokens for toddler skill, or college grants are owned by either a townie, or an Unknown Sim.
4: How do I know which unknown sims are the band known as "Grim Reaper and The Hula Girls" ? What are their family instance, and if that is not specific, then how do I find them?
5: If I find and delete every reference to an unknown sim, both in relationships and memories, can I then safely proceed to deleting that unknowns file?

/edited for specific questions, and to keep my lips.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 22, 14:11:33 by cyperangel » Logged

HRH Posie
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 22, 14:27:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Firstly in order to get to the memories you need to start SimPE and if you are using the latest version, select Neighborhood then Neighborhood Browser from the Tools tab.  Next select the required neighbourhood and click open.  Now select Neighborhood/Memory from the Resource Tree on the left hand side then select the file in the Packed Files window.  At the bottom of the screen is the "Experimental Memory Editor" and clicking on a sim will show you their memories.

Now memory deleting is quite simple.  Most corrupted memories actually appear to be death memories.  When you scroll though each individual's memories you will see that they look like this.  When you click on a memory the right side should look like this.

Corrupted memories do not have an "Event Owner" or "Subject".  The exceptions to this are the invisible tokens such as the "I am Dead" token or the "Controller - Pregnancy".  I would start by looking for memories which list unknown died instead of the name of a sim.  Click on the memory then click the delete button in the bottom right hand corner.  After deleting a memory click on "commit" to commit the changes.  Clicking commit is very important!  Finally save the file and quit SimPE.  Just incase something goes wrong always keep a backup of the file.  Pleasantview for example is the N001_Neighborhood.package file found in \My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\N001 Smiley

"Does nothing work outside of London? Hmm? Apparently not." Natasha Glenville, Bridget Jones
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 22, 15:05:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for answering Posie, I knew you wouldn't let us down Cheesy

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 23, 07:41:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about unknown sims then?
1: Can I delete every [invisible] memory from a sim with the exception of the - token- memories?
2: If 1 is a yes, does that even include the memories that does not have an owner. Usually a memory is like this: [invisble] Sim A got a promotion(owned by Sim B)   Only some memories are missing that (owned by) bit.
3: Still assuming that tokens should not be deleted, is it ok if i set another owner on them? On a lot of my sims, the tokens for toddler skill, or college grants are owned by either a townie, or an Unknown Sim.
4: How do I know which unknown sims are the band known as "Grim Reaper and The Hula Girls" ? What are their family instance, and if that is not specific, then how do I find them?
5: If I find and delete every reference to an unknown sim, both in relationships and memories, can I then safely proceed to deleting that unknowns file?

HRH Posie
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 23, 07:53:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Grim Reaper and The Hula Girls are normally the first few characters in the list.  However with the new version of SimPE all sims without character data are listed as unknown.  It would be wise not to delete them as these unknown characters are Maxis created character for the memories of Skip, Brandi etc.  Unknown sims appearing at places further down the list than Skip Broke are safe to delete providing you know who they were to begin to with.  Remember if an unknown sim was a parent and you delete them, it will also remove them from the family tree.

"Does nothing work outside of London? Hmm? Apparently not." Natasha Glenville, Bridget Jones
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 24, 09:03:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yeah well, this is a custom neighbourhood, and I have deleted the 3 that came with the game, so Skip should pretty much be skipped then... Roll Eyes

Zythe
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 24, 17:13:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The unknown sims are the long-dead sims. It's a SimPE bug updated in "QA 0.45l" and will be updated publically in 0.46.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 25, 09:46:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, long dead sims don't exist in my neighbourhood. I have the gravemarkers on all the townies i cow-planted, and, as for playable sims, I have a total of 6 dead, all with graves, and all in place in the char files.

What is really eating my shorts is, I had over 110 unknown sims in my game, out of a grand total of around 380.
Now, after spending what feels like a month on sifting through memories, clearing those, and sifting through relationships, and finally building a complete list of every sim in the game, including which char file they have, i coould delete 49 of those unknown sims. Yay, go me. But that was unknown sims, that actually had a N0004_user0000000014.package file. I have at the moment no less than

unknown sims in my game, that does not have a character file in my game, yet shows up as an unknown sim in SimPE. And that is excluding the hula girl, the grim reaper, the psychiatrist, and the polination technician.

Granted, I'll allow for another 8 to be part of the expanded polination package, and I'll give another 1 for the woohoo girls. But that still leaves over 60 unknown identities in my game, out of a total of now 300. Huh

Zythe
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 25, 15:41:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, long dead sims don't exist in my neighbourhood. I have the gravemarkers on all the townies i cow-planted, and, as for playable sims, I have a total of 6 dead, all with graves, and all in place in the char files.

What is really eating my shorts is, I had over 110 unknown sims in my game, out of a grand total of around 380.
Now, after spending what feels like a month on sifting through memories, clearing those, and sifting through relationships, and finally building a complete list of every sim in the game, including which char file they have, i coould delete 49 of those unknown sims. Yay, go me. But that was unknown sims, that actually had a N0004_user0000000014.package file. I have at the moment no less than

unknown sims in my game, that does not have a character file in my game, yet shows up as an unknown sim in SimPE. And that is excluding the hula girl, the grim reaper, the psychiatrist, and the polination technician.

Granted, I'll allow for another 8 to be part of the expanded polination package, and I'll give another 1 for the woohoo girls. But that still leaves over 60 unknown identities in my game, out of a total of now 300. Huh

Wait for the new SimPE, it will recognise them.
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 29, 21:24:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plossie, thank you for the information.  I am still a little timid about messing with my neighborhoods with SimsPE, but since my favorite neighborhood became unplayable I am getting bolder.  LOL.  If I'm just going to have to delete it eventually, anyway, why not attempt to clean it up 1st, right? 

CyberAngel, I'm also having the same problem with Unknown Sims!  Unfortunatly, some of them are NOT Maxis sims.  At least two of them are my main sims!!  One of them is my favorite romance Sim, and the other one is his hillbilly wife.  Needless to say, they have lots of children together, and and apart.  LOL  Anyway, with SimsPE they will not show up in the Sims Browser.  Their children will.  When I check their relationship listing, they used to show a relationship with "unknown."  Since the latest update it will show a grayed-out icon of the sim and it says "unknown" is their name.  Even odder, these unknown sims show up on the Sims Surgery Browser! 

I think that when I had to do a clean reinstall last spring, I had tried to use my backed up neighborhood SimsPE data.  It didn't work, I have no idea why.  But the sims that were in that old neighborhood and then recreated in the new neighborhood (I still had their original bodies in CAS) are some of the ones that are showing up unknown. 
brat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 10, 16:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Firstly in order to get to the memories you need to start SimPE and if you are using the latest version, select Neighborhood then Neighborhood Browser from the Tools tab.  Next select the required neighbourhood and click open.  Now select Neighborhood/Memory from the Resource Tree on the left hand side then select the file in the Packed Files window.  At the bottom of the screen is the "Experimental Memory Editor" and clicking on a sim will show you their memories.

Now memory deleting is quite simple.  Most corrupted memories actually appear to be death memories.  When you scroll though each individual's memories you will see that they look like this.  When you click on a memory the right side should look like this.

Corrupted memories do not have an "Event Owner" or "Subject".  The exceptions to this are the invisible tokens such as the "I am Dead" token or the "Controller - Pregnancy".  I would start by looking for memories which list unknown died instead of the name of a sim.  Click on the memory then click the delete button in the bottom right hand corner.  After deleting a memory click on "commit" to commit the changes.  Clicking commit is very important!  Finally save the file and quit SimPE.  Just incase something goes wrong always keep a backup of the file.  Pleasantview for example is the N001_Neighborhood.package file found in \My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\N001 Smiley

I followed this, but the only sims that show up are the dead ones. Any advice? Thanks.

I guess I should add that I resurected Skip Broke and I want to delete the memory of his death from Brandi and Dustin, but I can't find either of them. Also, how do I remove the "I am dead" token? Thank you.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 10, 16:49:00 by brat » Logged
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 10, 17:15:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I followed this, but the only sims that show up are the dead ones. Any advice? Thanks.

I guess I should add that I resurected Skip Broke and I want to delete the memory of his death from Brandi and Dustin, but I can't find either of them. Also, how do I remove the "I am dead" token? Thank you.
go into neighborhood memory and find the I am dead token in Skips memories highlight click delete and commit but maker sure in the sim browser that he isnt marked as a ghost in the other category or he will keep dying if the  ghost is ticked untick it and commit be sure when the box pops up asking if you want save changes say yes before exiting SimPE

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
brat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 10, 20:35:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the reply, but nothing is showing up under memories.

Okay, send me to RL. The version of SimPE that I had did not support NL. All better now. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 10, 20:51:27 by brat » Logged
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 10, 22:45:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, send me to RL. The version of SimPE that I had did not support NL. All better now. Thanks.
I hope my info helped you

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 11, 10:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been wrestling with this too.  These two threads helped me a lot  - DK if there's anything new for you guys..  I'd really like a complete how to in the war room or somewhere
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=158.0
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=45.0

my current questions are unanswered on
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=2249.0

Here's a few others I looked at about memories -
info about the amazing amount of invisible memories in a hood - the driver knows ALL...
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=779.0
adding memories to a sim including some stuff about skip broke
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=1485.0

If you search on memory or memorie, I expect it will throw up a few more.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
brat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 11, 12:25:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You helped me to realize it was me and not something wrong with a program (which is usually the case anyway!). Thank you for your help.
One more question, though. I now have 2 Skip Broke's showing up in SimPE. Is it safe to delete the one I'm not using?
« Last Edit: 2005 December 11, 12:48:56 by brat » Logged
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 11, 12:47:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You helped me to realize it was me and not something wrong with a program (which is usually the case anyway!). Thank you for your help.
your'e welcome

brat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 11, 12:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Banglenuts, I think we were posting at the same time. At the risk of being forever burned, could you possibly help me one more time? (See edit in my last post.) Thanks again.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: