More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 17:34:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Squinge found something interesting...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Squinge found something interesting...  (Read 82938 times)
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Squinge found something interesting...
« Reply #150 on: 2006 April 07, 02:48:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A low carbohydrate diet is helpful with a lot of things.   A nice side benefit to it is if you decrease your carbs
and increase your physical activity a little you will also probably start to lose some weight.    That being said,
if you start a low carb diet you should also research it a bit before you start.   People who have fibromyalgia
also benefit greatly from a low carb intake.   
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2006 April 08, 01:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Squinge found another interesting thing today.

He found a way to stop townie and our controllable Sims to fill their inventory with the things they buy.  Even better our controllable Sims won't actually loose money over the things they bought and the owner will still make money.

If you direct your Sim to buy things though they will keep it in their inventory and it will deduct the money which is completely normal.

Here is the link to this new mod he made today:  http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=8418
« Last Edit: 2006 April 08, 01:47:35 by MissDoh » Logged
AnthonyK
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2006 April 12, 20:58:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, first off, let me say that I was thoroughly amused by this post. the idea of men breast feeding and "tit's on a bull" had me in hysterics. I think it's a decent idea for a mod, and a "good" start. A "More Awesome" version would be nice, as I've come to trust the mods you guys make. Anyway, now let me get some seriousness out of the way.

I'm a little tired of America's strange dislike of the human body. I understand people that don't want to see breastfeeding because many, many people have been raised to believe that their bodies are disgusting things that should be covered up.

It's not "America" as a whole Stitches, it's called politics. It's all about getting votes. People raise enough stink about something and threaten the politicians of being ousted and shit happens. Where I live breast feeding isn't an issue. I've seen it many times. Yeah, theres still the few people who take offense to it, but you stil lsee it.

I don't understand a lot of things society has made "proper" or "improper", all this politacally correct crap drives me up the wall too. All these silly things people worry about, yet they over look the crime, the starving children (right here in the US!!), the barbie doll mentality & more. I could unload a book worth of complaints I have, but that's not why I am posting...

The whole point of this was to say it's not America as a whole, it's just cause & effect. Politics gone awry. Anyway, I'll close this post with a little joke...

Son: "Dad, I have to do a special report for my Political Science course. Can I ask you a question?"

Dad: "Sure son, what's the question?

Son: "What is politics?" My professor says that it has something to do with a pillow."

Dad: "Well, I am not sure what your instructor means, but let's take our home as an example. I am the wage earner, so let's call me Management. Your mother is the administrator of the money, so we'll call her Government. We take care of you and your needs, so let's call you The People. We'll call the maid The Working Class and your baby brother we'll call The Future. Do you understand?

Son: "I'm not really sure Dad, I'll have to think about it."

That night, awakened by his baby brother's crying, the boy went to see what was wrong. Discovering the baby had seriously soiled his diaper, the son went to his parent's room and found his mother sound asleep. He went to the maid's room where, peeking through the keyhole, he saw his father in bed with the maid. The boy's knocking went totally unheard by his father and the maid, so the boy returned to his room and went back to sleep.
The next morning:

Son: "Dad, now I think I understand politics."

Dad: "That's great son, explain it to me in your own words."

Son: "Well, Dad, it is like this...

While Management is screwing The Working Class, the Government is sound asleep. The People are being completely ignored, and The Future is full of crap."

anthony

"I have no color prejudices, nor caste prejudices, nor creed prejudices. All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse." -Mark Twain
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2006 April 12, 21:15:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dad: "And by the way...if you see your Mother today, will you be sure and tell her: SATAN SATAN SATAN!"

Instant gratification takes too long.
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2006 April 12, 22:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not "America" as a whole Stitches, it's called politics. It's all about getting votes. People raise enough stink about something and threaten the politicians of being ousted and shit happens. Where I live breast feeding isn't an issue. I've seen it many times. Yeah, theres still the few people who take offense to it, but you stil lsee it.

anthony

I won't deny the political angle but I'm not concerned about it so much. Politics change with the wind. I'm more concerned with a culture that has for over 300 years, promoted the idea that there is something terrible and sinful about the human body and sexuality.
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: 2006 April 12, 23:17:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the point about "if you've never done it, you don't know what you are talking about" was aimed at people that are saying "why don't you just pump?" I think.  Pumping was IMPOSSIBLE for me unless I actually went to the hospital and got pumped by a huge machine like a cow milker.  Pumping is HARD.  They had to do it to get my milk flowing, and I tried to pump later with an electric pump, but my daughter was the only one who could get milk out of me. :p

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2006 April 12, 23:23:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for playing: Too Much Information.

Instant gratification takes too long.
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2006 April 13, 00:01:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the point about "if you've never done it, you don't know what you are talking about" was aimed at people that are saying "why don't you just pump?" I think.  Pumping was IMPOSSIBLE for me unless I actually went to the hospital and got pumped by a huge machine like a cow milker.  Pumping is HARD.  They had to do it to get my milk flowing, and I tried to pump later with an electric pump, but my daughter was the only one who could get milk out of me. :p

because generally, ony a baby can stimuate the body to release the hormones to trigger the let- down reflex
some sucker of a pump just isnt going to do it anywhere near as efficiently
seven
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2006 April 13, 04:42:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A low carbohydrate diet is helpful with a lot of things.   A nice side benefit to it is if you decrease your carbs
and increase your physical activity a little you will also probably start to lose some weight.    That being said,
if you start a low carb diet you should also research it a bit before you start.   People who have fibromyalgia
also benefit greatly from a low carb intake.   

But Jack says that.. "Bread is back!" damnit!

Just accept that it is smarter than you, and let it do its thing.   ~guess who
AnthonyK
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2006 April 13, 13:29:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LoL, poor radio, did ya get some wicked visuals there? I know I did... Owies!

I won't deny the political angle but I'm not concerned about it so much. Politics change with the wind. I'm more concerned with a culture that has for over 300 years, promoted the idea that there is something terrible and sinful about the human body and sexuality.

Well, US politics haven't really changed since it's inception as a free country. The names & faces have changed, but it's basically the same. Thing is, these days, the politicians just have a lot more ways to screw things up.

Now on to the "puritan" attitude. Yes, it's true it's been going on for a while, but once again, it's not everyone as a whole. The US is such a mix of all cultures that you can't pin this on America. Now, at the risk of beiing flogged by any of the "English" (as in England/Britain), users, if you must point a finger, the "puritans" came from there and settled here. LoL (maybe cuz they got ran out, which is what we should do too, but that's another issue...) America is like a big huge melting pot of cultures. There are a lot of goods and bads, it's just the BAD's always stick out the most since todays press has a flair for finding everyones deepest darkest secrets and posting them up on billboards..

anthony <-- I suppose I should make a signature eventually, eh?

"I have no color prejudices, nor caste prejudices, nor creed prejudices. All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse." -Mark Twain
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2006 April 13, 14:22:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

America was founded by religious fanatics.

Says about enough.
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2006 April 13, 15:19:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, US politics haven't really changed since it's inception as a free country. The names & faces have changed, but it's basically the same. Thing is, these days, the politicians just have a lot more ways to screw things up.

Now on to the "puritan" attitude. Yes, it's true it's been going on for a while, but once again, it's not everyone as a whole. The US is such a mix of all cultures that you can't pin this on America. Now, at the risk of beiing flogged by any of the "English" (as in England/Britain), users, if you must point a finger, the "puritans" came from there and settled here. LoL (maybe cuz they got ran out, which is what we should do too, but that's another issue...) America is like a big huge melting pot of cultures. There are a lot of goods and bads, it's just the BAD's always stick out the most since todays press has a flair for finding everyones deepest darkest secrets and posting them up on billboards..

Everything you're saying is very true but it misses my point. My point is that I'm really tired of people, especially women, hating their bodies regardless of the huge melting pot. I've lived here my whole life. I've been all around the country in my travels and I've met many different people with different values and every where you go you find the same self loathing. All I wanted to know was if it was any better off in "western" cultures because I desperately need some sort of clue that it's not IMPOSSIBLE for America to move forward.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2006 April 13, 15:30:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everything you're saying is very true but it misses my point. My point is that I'm really tired of people, especially women, hating their bodies regardless of the huge melting pot. I've lived here my whole life. I've been all around the country in my travels and I've met many different people with different values and every where you go you find the same self loathing. All I wanted to know was if it was any better off in "western" cultures because I desperately need some sort of clue that it's not IMPOSSIBLE for America to move forward.

Well, they are a lot more open about these things in Europe, but if you ask me it doesn't make them hate their bodies any less. They just objectify women even more than they do here (naked women are used to sell EVERYTHING), and they are more focused on appearance and perfection. No offense to any Europeans, but I really think this vanity comes at a price.

Nivaya
Exasperating Eyesore

INFP

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2006 April 14, 00:08:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I belive it's a cultural thing.  I'm sure that many of our friends "across the pond" are wondering why the hell this is such a fiery debate

Well, they are a lot more open about these things in Europe, but if you ask me it doesn't make them hate their bodies any less.

As a Brit, and also a mother, I'm gonna say things. Cos I can. Seeing people breastfeed in public makes me uncomfortable. I like breasts, they look pretty, they're nice to touch. I entirely support brestfeeding, it's excellent for the baby, of course, and all this, hooray for breastfeeding, I am in no way putting it down. But nonetheless, seeing people breastfeeding in public makes me uncomfortable.

I was never brestfed as a child, my mother was on medication that would have made it very much not good for me, and I'll admit now, I tried breastfeeding my daughter for only a few weeks, she was a mean little sod, who chewed with her little baby gums and made my nipples bleed, and I only ever did it at home, even if friends were round but never in public, so I'm not really a leading expert on it. Fact is though, because of the culture, mostly brought about in the 50's and 60's (my mother and her sisters were never breastfed either, simply cos my grandma didn't think it was 'nice', whihc I understand was a fairly common thing at the time) of breasts being a sexual thing, I just don't know where to look when a woman whips out her tit and latches a baby onto it.
Because boobies *giggles scandallously* are normally something hidden away, your eye is natrally drawn to one if it's exposed. Also, I dunno if it's just me, but I get that thing guys at urinals do or don't have, where I want to compare, but like I said, maybe that's just me. Problem is, of course, feeding babies is what they're there for, it's the best way to feed babies, all of the above pro-breastfeeding things. Which makes it entirely inappropriate to want to look. And that is why I find it uncomfortable to see women breastfeeding in public. Not cos of any 'EEek, shock, howrude, boobs!!!' issue, or cos I think formula is better, or ANYTHING like that, just...cos of society, here in Britain almost as much as over there, it's got a stigma aattatched.

It's a shame, but Ima have to sit on the side of 'Yes, it's lovely and natural, but I don't want to have to see it'.

O, and the fact that this mod exists makes me happy...>.> Hehe...

Like a balloon..and....something bad happens!!!
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2006 April 14, 02:54:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I belive it's a cultural thing.  I'm sure that many of our friends "across the pond" are wondering why the hell this is such a fiery debate

Well, they are a lot more open about these things in Europe, but if you ask me it doesn't make them hate their bodies any less.

As a Brit, and also a mother, I'm gonna say things. Cos I can. Seeing people breastfeed in public makes me uncomfortable. I like breasts, they look pretty, they're nice to touch. I entirely support brestfeeding, it's excellent for the baby, of course, and all this, hooray for breastfeeding, I am in no way putting it down. But nonetheless, seeing people breastfeeding in public makes me uncomfortable.

I was never brestfed as a child, my mother was on medication that would have made it very much not good for me, and I'll admit now, I tried breastfeeding my daughter for only a few weeks, she was a mean little sod, who chewed with her little baby gums and made my nipples bleed, and I only ever did it at home, even if friends were round but never in public, so I'm not really a leading expert on it. Fact is though, because of the culture, mostly brought about in the 50's and 60's (my mother and her sisters were never breastfed either, simply cos my grandma didn't think it was 'nice', whihc I understand was a fairly common thing at the time) of breasts being a sexual thing, I just don't know where to look when a woman whips out her tit and latches a baby onto it.
Because boobies *giggles scandallously* are normally something hidden away, your eye is natrally drawn to one if it's exposed. Also, I dunno if it's just me, but I get that thing guys at urinals do or don't have, where I want to compare, but like I said, maybe that's just me. Problem is, of course, feeding babies is what they're there for, it's the best way to feed babies, all of the above pro-breastfeeding things. Which makes it entirely inappropriate to want to look. And that is why I find it uncomfortable to see women breastfeeding in public. Not cos of any 'EEek, shock, howrude, boobs!!!' issue, or cos I think formula is better, or ANYTHING like that, just...cos of society, here in Britain almost as much as over there, it's got a stigma aattatched.

It's a shame, but Ima have to sit on the side of 'Yes, it's lovely and natural, but I don't want to have to see it'.

O, and the fact that this mod exists makes me happy...>.> Hehe...

a thoughtful and honest post Nivaya
i understand the sentiments
it is a bit of a stgma here to have your tits out for breastfeeding, but apparently ok on page 3 of a  national daily tabloid for titillation (excuse the pun).
i breastfed each of mine for 8 weeks each, that was their lot as i hated it, hated the feeling, hated the (probably imagined) smell of stale milk about my person, the leakage and all. i did breastfeed in public under a shawl, which most women tend to do. we don't want our boobs on display any more than anyone wants to look at them .....if said boobs are breastfeeding. get them out on a saturday night in town when pissed...thats ok

it's all somewhat about double standards imo....eeeeuwww breastfeeding/phwoar tits

in my job i have to support and encourage new mums in breastfeeding. i too, understand that breast is best and all that. i understand the physiology and psychology behind breastfeeding. but at the end of the day women have to do what is comfortable for them. babies thrive either way
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: 2006 April 14, 04:07:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

in my job i have to support and encourage new mums in breastfeeding. i too, understand that breast is best and all that. i understand the physiology and psychology behind breastfeeding. but at the end of the day women have to do what is comfortable for them. babies thrive either way

True, that's all well and good. However, its the attitudes, like some expressed in this thread, that KEEP moms from being able to do what is best for the babies, and best for them. It isn't realistic to stay home for a year + while breastfeeding. Lives go on. It isn't realistic to expect every mom to own a good pump and/or be able to get milk expressed well that way so they can feed a bottle in public. I breastfeed, in part, because I don't want to deal with bottles. Mann women choose breastfeeding to save money. A good pump is $150-250.

We're talking about feeding babies here folks. Not giving public blowjobs.

No one has a right to not be offended. Just.. look.. away. I have to do that lots. Like when I see a mom in walmart with her tiny little baby in the cart, crying his little heart out, and she just ignores him. I want to go pick him up. But I can't. I have to just look away. The neglect we inflict upon the tiniest members of our society ought to be what offends people, not seeing a mom caring for her child in such a loving way and feeding it at the same time.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
momtogirls
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2006 April 14, 05:47:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mann women choose breastfeeding to save money

I saved over US$1000 by nursing. (maybe its using the word breast...is nursing less offensive?)  At 20 USD a can for formula, man, that adds up FAST, then, if your kid needs soy, or other specialized formula...some runs at over 40 USD a can. 

It IS interesting to see such a discussion on a gaming forum, heck, it's been more civil here than on some parenting forums I've been on.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2006 April 14, 10:52:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now on to the "puritan" attitude. Yes, it's true it's been going on for a while, but once again, it's not everyone as a whole. The US is such a mix of all cultures that you can't pin this on America. Now, at the risk of beiing flogged by any of the "English" (as in England/Britain), users, if you must point a finger, the "puritans" came from there and settled here. LoL (maybe cuz they got ran out, which is what we should do too, but that's another issue...)

Hey don't look at us, we were standing at the dockside cheerfully waving them off and thinking, 'thank god for that'.

Inteen for AL, yay!
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 2006 April 14, 12:06:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, that's all well and good. However, its the attitudes, like some expressed in this thread, that KEEP moms from being able to do what is best for the babies, and best for them. It isn't realistic to stay home for a year + while breastfeeding. Lives go on. It isn't realistic to expect every mom to own a good pump and/or be able to get milk expressed well that way so they can feed a bottle in public. I breastfeed, in part, because I don't want to deal with bottles. Mann women choose breastfeeding to save money. A good pump is $150-250.

We're talking about feeding babies here folks. Not giving public blowjobs.

No one has a right to not be offended. Just.. look.. away. I have to do that lots. Like when I see a mom in walmart with her tiny little baby in the cart, crying his little heart out, and she just ignores him. I want to go pick him up. But I can't. I have to just look away. The neglect we inflict upon the tiniest members of our society ought to be what offends people, not seeing a mom caring for her child in such a loving way and feeding it at the same time.

whoa!! just accidentally pressed the thanks button instead of the quote one....LOL wasn't epecting the result
0po-
anyhoo.....i am not arguing with this. that wasn't supposed to be how it  comes across
i do take issue slightly with pumps though. some women do see them as an easy option and want to use them from day one before breastfeeding is established. nothing gets the milk going and established well like a baby.
it would be good if more shops and particularly restaurants/cafes could have a quiet room where mums can breastfeed in privacy if thats what they wish. and yeah, would be good too if attitudes changed so that mums could stay where they were and feed. but i can't see that happening anytiime soon while breasts remain sexual
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: 2006 April 14, 15:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehee, i love the thanks button. I push it for fun Smiley

I wasn't just addressing my comments to you. Really only the "comfortable" part of my post.

I feel uncomfortable directly quoting the people who I really take issue with. Odd, because on a parenting board, of which I frequent many, I'd have no trouble ripping them a new one Smiley

For the record, nursing in public makes me uncomfortable, though I wish it didn't. Nursing in front of my father in law makes me uncomfortable, but mostly because it makes HIM so uncomfortable. At the local walmart I've asked to use a changing room and have been welcomed. However, some women have been refused the use of a changing room, at Walmart, at Victoria's secret, at other stores. Do you (general you) want to eat YOUR meal while sitting on a public toilet? No? Well neither does my baby.

And sometimes, just once in a while, I have to drive up to the "big" city nearest. It's an hour drive. My oldest daughter has braces and has to have semi-regular orthodontic appointments. I have to take the baby. I'm her food source. And sometimes we like to go out to eat at one of those restaurants we don't have here in our small town, like Chili's (that cake, its that damned cake). And what can I do if my baby starts to fuss and wants to eat right as our food has come? As much as I dislike it, I feel like I need to nurse the babe. Takes me 10 minutes and then she's happy and asleep, and I get to eat. At least at Chili's I've never had even a harsh look. And so that's why these posts calling public breastfeeding gross, or that it shouldn't be done, really upset me. Sometimes its just unavoidable. And since I'm doing nothing wrong, I see no reason to let my baby cry so as to not offend a person who has every ability to just LOOK AWAY.

Heck, here in Nebraska, I haven't really experienced any harsh looks for nursing. Maybe because so many folks grew up on a farm and saw nursing kittens, nursing puppies, nursing foals, nursing calfs. It's just a part of having a baby. It's normal. It's natural. And until 70 years ago or so, its the only way anyone really ever fed their baby. It isn't wicked, or wrong, or sexual, or gross, or any of those things. It's just FEEDING A BABY. Just pretend its a bottle if it makes you feel better.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
momtogirls
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2006 April 14, 15:21:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just pretend its a bottle if it makes you feel better.

that made me giggle.

I had a woman tell me "that's why they have bathrooms" [at the mall]  and I used that argument, I don't eat my dinner in the bathroom, why should my baby.

With my first baby, I excused myself from the table at a restaurant, with my second, I got tired of eating cold meals.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: 2006 April 15, 10:47:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jase has made a better, more fabulous, non conflicty version that is kitten killer and generally sim pie menu compatible. In other words, his version shouldn't cause any problems with the sim pie menu or any mods that modify it. Although mods in general should avoid directly modifying the sim pie menu to begin with because of this issue.

Ste

Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2006 April 15, 11:01:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jase has made a better, more fabulous, non conflicty version that is kitten killer and generally sim pie menu compatible. In other words, his version shouldn't cause any problems with the sim pie menu or any mods that modify it. Although mods in general should avoid directly modifying the sim pie menu to begin with because of this issue.

Ste

Where is it?  Can you provide a link?
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: 2006 April 15, 12:37:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.insimenator.net/showpost.php?p=111476&postcount=197

That's the link to the post that Jase made.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2006 April 15, 19:12:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I checked that link but there wasn't any program attached on that page.

I don't know why anybody is complaining about the rudeness of breastfeeding in public. Since we are not supposed to be staring at people we don't know then it would follow that polite people have never seen anybody breastfeeding in public, no matter how obviously it was done.

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: