More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 01:19:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  The Hostel Challenge: Not My idea
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Hostel Challenge: Not My idea  (Read 16882 times)
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
The Hostel Challenge: Not My idea
« on: 2006 March 25, 07:26:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured this might be the place to post this. If it's not appropriate, feel free to ignore or delete it.

I came across a link to this challenge the other day: The Free Will Hostel: Hands Off Challenge. I thought it was quite interesting. As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of playing an altered version of it as we speak.

Basically the premise is that you enter 8 sims into a lot (there must be two married couples and a couple siblings in these), and furnish the lot however you'd like with a budget of 250,000 simoleans and then walk away and let them manage themselves for 5 or ten Real Time hours. You can save and resume the game later on, but the gist of it is to see how well you can plan your home so that your sims can at least keep themselves alive.

I must say it's interesting flicking back and forth from the game to other things and then coming back to find one of one's sims pregnant with no knowledge of who the 'father' was. It makes it a little more dramatic and exciting. Cheesy

ETA: It's similar to the Sit-On-Your-Hands Challenge, just a little more extreme. Smiley
ETA2: Duh. I didn't even notice that this challenge was linked to in the previously mentioned challenge thread.  Lips sealed Oops.
« Last Edit: 2006 March 27, 11:27:08 by denimjo » Logged

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: The Hostel Challenge: Not My idea
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 25, 07:33:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hehe.  I kinda like the sound of it.  Perhaps I'll do it.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 25, 07:39:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go figure: the sim to get pregnant was the only romance sim on the lot. Cheesy

I guess, in retrospect, having a married romance sim was NOT such a good idea (especially with autonomous woohoo beds).  Grin

ETA: I guess the only thing I see wrong with it is if someone calls you up out of the blue to invite you somewhere (or your sim has a baby). Does the option eventually cancel itself, or does it require a response from you before the game will continue? I guess these issues could be solved by a). not having a phone, and b). making it so Sims cannot get pregnant, but where's the fun in that? Smiley
« Last Edit: 2006 March 25, 07:47:38 by denimjo » Logged

"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 25, 17:29:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA: I guess the only thing I see wrong with it is if someone calls you up out of the blue to invite you somewhere (or your sim has a baby). Does the option eventually cancel itself, or does it require a response from you before the game will continue? I guess these issues could be solved by a). not having a phone, and b). making it so Sims cannot get pregnant, but where's the fun in that? Smiley
I've left sims on free will overnight before just to see what happens. All those things apparantly cancel themselves out eventually, just like chance cards and stuff.

When I did this, nothing particularly bad happened to my sims, but I noticed plenty of repo man visits in their memories. Plus an alien abduction.

-edit

But I have no idea if baby naming ever cancels out. I've hemmed and hawed trying to think of a name for ages before, and I've never seen it cancel.
« Last Edit: 2006 March 25, 17:35:09 by buddha pest » Logged
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 25, 22:45:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good to know invites will eventually cancel themselves out. Cheesy

It appears for the moment that by sim who had the baby may actually be starting to fill her hunger needs so she may not expire quite so soon after all. Cheesy It's really a shame that psychiatrist visits are not recorded in their memories though, as hte only way I'll be able to tell if they happened was if I chanced to be looking.

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 26, 00:07:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This looks like the way I played the Sims 1 Cheesy
My goal then was to create a house and furnish it in such a way that would keep the "free-will" sims alive with no divine intervention.
The problem then, as it is now, was the kids' homework and the upaid bills - that would eventually lead the repoman to take away a vital object such as the fridge. Tongue
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 26, 01:15:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah I know about the rules. This one is just a test run, not only for the challenge itself but for my newly installed autonomous woohoo beds. So far, it's a very learning experience. After this run is over (in about 90 minutes), I'll take what I've learned and start the challenge for real. I like it, though. Cheesy

Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 27, 08:12:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used downloaded celebrity Sims
Can't remember how many of what I had on my lot... probably about 8 or 9 fridges, a couple stoves, a bunch of microwaves, trash compactors and dishwashers... I had a few pianos (pre-uni) and easels, a big tv that I had my Sim turn on to the cooking channel in her 'free hour', 2 chess boards, a few computers...a telescope (BritneySpears was abducted) a pool no one used, hottubs and stereos they all used....

I left mine on for a day and a half, they were all alive, 4 in Platinum (knowledge, family and romance) 2 gold... Paris Hilton was my fortune Sim -ooo, poor Paris was always in the red Sad heh heh

I didn't take any hacks out though, so they paid their bills and served meals (no Lovebed at that time though)

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 27, 11:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Using the lovebed really screws with relationships, I can tell you that much.  Wink

I've tried two test runs on this, and I've come to a couple 'discoveries':
1). Do not add a poker table. They'll do nothing to work on their skills.
2). Have at least two single beds so that if there are people lounging in the doubles that a sim hates, they won't have to pass out because they won't sleep with them.
3). Sprinklers help with fires, and they can help increase sims' cleaning skills.
4). There is no such thing as too many easels.
5). Everybody loves Brynne, including Brad Pitt. Cheesy

Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 27, 13:55:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've done this twice with a bunch of self sims...

The first try I kept pretty good tabs on it, Posie died first and ended up scaring mostly everyone else to death, with the exception of Hook who got deadinated by the TOILET BUNNY.

The second try features Pescado actually, and I changed the rules a little, having a teen, zombie, vampire and the lovebed. A few kids were had as I only put seven sims in to start...

A proud thread pirate.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 28, 04:50:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I decided to go back to my initial lot and see how well I would fare if I tried to get them to ten hours. Not very well, I must say. With less than an hour to go, I am down to three sims (five having died and the toddler having been taken by the social worker just after he became a child). Can I at least end up with one live sim?!

Database
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 28, 18:39:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oooo. I like this idea.

* Database might try it. He's always leaving sims going in the background Tongue
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 31, 21:32:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i think for this to really intresting u need to take any hacks out , i set up a house with 6 sims a love bed and some other stuff and thy took care of themselves really well , "sniff" my sims dont need me at all
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 April 01, 02:45:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, they certainly need you to a). get a job, b). be a lot happier, c). make friends/enemies a lot quicker. So don't despair; you are a needed entity in their sim-like lives. Cheesy

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 April 02, 18:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I played this a while back, before NL, which meant all my Sims survived as they weren't starving themselves due to lightning bolt crap.  I had celebrity Sims too, but I felt very sorry for Elvis.  I made him Fortune and of course hardly any of his wants were satisfied, so he was permanently depressed.  It started on the first day, when there was a fire, and never really improved.  I didn't play it exactly to the rules insofar as I didn't have multiple appliances.  I only had room for a few of each and they lasted more or less to the end, so I only had to tell them to remove burnt food a couple of times.  I didn't want to play a huge lot so I didn't have room for the recommended number of appliances.

I've been thinking of trying it again, but I'd have to use a new neighbourhood with no other Sims, or perhaps just one to act as the telescope slapper.  As for the woo-hoo beds, I think theoretically they shouldn't be used - isn't it meant to be hack-free?  (Not that mine was - I took most of them out, but I did leave PayBillsatBox in.  Just as well, or Elvis would have been beyond repair).

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 April 02, 23:28:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup, it's meant to be hack-free and to have absolutely no intervention on your part at all (not even to remove burnt food from the stoves). That's why I'm just doing it with the beds in as a test run. Now that I've personally learned a few things, I may be ready to try it as it was intended. I'm just considering which sims I would like to use as my guinea pigs. Cheesy

Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 June 19, 18:41:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I gave this a try over the weekend.  I had two couples, Adam and Eve (both knowledge) and Byron and C645Hq (alien/family sims), a set of siblings (Ninja Black, popularity and Ninja Red, pleasure)and two romance sims, Fife and Diamond (I made Diamond Adam's sister).

It was interesting, Adam and Eve were three bolts and almost always on the verge of death.  Their time in the challenge can be summed up thusly:  Whine, swoon, flirt, whine, kiss, kicky bag, whine, swoon, fight with Diamond (if your're Adam), watch Diamond kick your husband's ass (if you're Eve), whine, kiss...

I thought Byron and C645Hq would be easier to manage because they were compatible but not three bolts.  However, Byron fell for Ninja Red and C645Hq had some bloodfued going with Fife that caused them to fight 25 times so she had no time for a relationship.

The real find in this was Diamond.  She's my current avatar and she is so awesome that I made her a townie so she can terrorize generations of legacy sims.  I made her full neat and active, and split the other points between playful, outgoing and nice.  Every time I checked she was the only one in the upper levels of green and she earned 20 skill points, compare this to the next highest point earner (who had 5) and you can see why she was my star.  Her biggest downfall was her obssession with kicking her brother's ass. 

Overall, it wasn't terribly exciting or eye opening.  None of them died (until I came in at the end and decided that Diamond was a keeper and the rest of them would make good ghosts) and all of them behaved stupidly in very predictable ways.  It was sort of interesting to watch them independently establish habits.  Ninja's Black and Red had identical personalities, but he was addicted to the arcade game and she would have married the pool table if i would have let her.     
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 June 20, 18:06:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been doing the hostel challenge, and so far I've finished 3 1/2 hours.  No deaths yet, and only one stove and dishwasher is out of commission.

The only problem is that a brother and sister are furious enemies, so sometimes they neglect their needs to slap, poke, and attack each other.

Keeping my fingers crossed...  Embarrassed

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 June 21, 03:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine all died with $132,000 left and only 1 item repo'd.  Stupid sims.  I set it up before bed last night and watched for an hour or so.  Then I slept for about 5 hours.  By the time I returned they were all gone.  Undecided  Maybe I'll try it again with more stoves and less micros/toaster ovens.  All they did for eating was "stuff face".  Like I said... stupid sims.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: