More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 15:10:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Twins in OFB
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Twins in OFB  (Read 21535 times)
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
Twins in OFB
« on: 2006 March 04, 00:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was playing a family with 7 Sims and the pregnant mom gave birth to twins, making a total of 9 Sims on the lot(!)  I've never seen this happen before.  I am absolutely sure I don't have any hacks installed that would allow more than 8 Sims per household, and I didn't use the new "forcetwins" cheat.  The mom was just at the start of the third "trimester" when I entered the lot for the first time after installing OFB, so these might be natural twins.  (The mom's paternal grandmother was a twin.)

On the other hand, maybe the rumors about cheesecake are true.  The hint said "Looking to add some twins to your family? The medical powers of Cheesecake might be for you. Have a slice before you 'Try for Baby' and you may be surprised with the results!"  This particular Sim did eat cheesecake, but it wasn't prior to the Try for Baby, it was on the 3rd day of pregnancy.  And voila, twins....

Has anybody else seen this?

Karen
« Last Edit: 2006 March 04, 00:13:05 by karen » Logged
Arileo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Twins in OFB
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 04, 00:52:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the Prima OFB Strategy guide, yes, Cheescake increases the chances of twins, but it also says that 8 controlled sims is still the max. Weird.
« Last Edit: 2006 March 04, 00:58:35 by Arileo » Logged

The voices in my head say "woof"!
SirLance
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 04, 02:44:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of twins, ever since I installed OFB I've always had my sim's pregnancies result in twins. I haven't used the cheat, eaten cheesecake, or have hacks that pertain to twins, so I'm thinking it's either a Maxis bug or I've just been really unlucky.

Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts. -Cicero
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 04, 02:56:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SirLance, twins have always run in spurts in my game.  I can play for a long time, through tons of births with no twins, then all of a sudden every sim in the neighborhood is popping twins, and this is pre-OFB (I don't even have it yet).

You know, I just thought of something!  If cheesecake can cause twins I'm going to have to be very careful that most of my sims don't touch the stuff!  Tongue  However, in some cases this could be a good thing, like in a challenge family where you may want to have twins, but don't want to use any types of cheats.  The cheesecake would be perfectly legal.

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 04, 03:33:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I just thought of something!  If cheesecake can cause twins I'm going to have to be very careful that most of my sims don't touch the stuff!  Tongue  However, in some cases this could be a good thing, like in a challenge family where you may want to have twins, but don't want to use any types of cheats.  The cheesecake would be perfectly legal.

Odds are that many challenges that award points for twins or where twins give an advantage will be revising their rules to account for that, though -- if not to direct people not to use the cheesecake, then to offset the advantage somehow.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 04, 03:38:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh dear, and here I thought we'd seen the last of the twin threads. But now Maxis goes and stirs up all the shit again. Let's hope they didn't stick Bella Goth in this expansion somewhere.  Roll Eyes

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 March 04, 04:07:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's hope they didn't stick Bella Goth in this expansion somewhere.  Roll Eyes

Cheesy

*laughs loudly and scares the poodle*

Missed you, Motoki, big hugs your way!

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 March 04, 04:28:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Odds are that many challenges that award points for twins or where twins give an advantage will be revising their rules to account for that, though -- if not to direct people not to use the cheesecake, then to offset the advantage somehow.

My thought was about having twins in challenges like Legacy, where most of the time it doesn't count.  For example, I find it much easier to have twins the first birth, then I don't have to worry about my sim going through a second pregnancy for the 'heir and a spare'.  I agree, if there are challenges that do more with twins they'll likely as not have to revamp the rules. Smiley

Rascal
Corpulent Cretin

Most Awesome Cat - RIP

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 March 04, 06:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Karen - is one of the sims in your family of 9 an ex fire or police sim?  I had this happen to me with the base game with a Legacy family.  I had 8 sims in the family and the 'try for baby' option showed up - before I knew it I had 9 sims on the lot.

One of the sims was ex firewoman Maura.  About this time I had tried TwoJeffs ghosthack that allowed you to chose who the ghosts would scare.  I got slightly freaked out when the 'ghost' options showed up on Maura - who was an elder but still definately alive.

I was told that fire and police (and maybe burglars?) were flagged by the game as having 'no travesal costs' so they would attend to their jobs without being distracted by their needs.  This flag was the one TwoJeffs' hack used to check if a sim was a ghost or not and I figured the game also treated Maura as a sort of ghost and so didn't count her in the total number of sims on the lot.

Sorry for the ramble - but I am curious to know if this is what happened with your sims also?
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 March 04, 08:16:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the exact same twins makes nine scenario occur in a family not long after University came out. I don't remember the circumstances. I put it down to a glitch. Was the woman pregnant during the OFB installation?

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 March 04, 08:23:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Cheesecake Myth appears to be pure and utter weapons-grade bolognium. Scanning of the code reveals that cheesecakes do not appear to have any special properties, and only the following properties appear to influence whether or not a birth will be twins:

1. Pregnancy Modifier Token: This token appears to only be set once in the age controller.
2. Disease: Being infected with a disease appears to negatively affect your twins chance.

Cheesecakes do not have any special codes suggesting they have any effect on twins, nor is the presence or lack thereof of Cheesecakes apparently tested for.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 March 04, 10:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the exact same twins makes nine scenario occur in a family not long after University came out. I don't remember the circumstances. I put it down to a glitch. Was the woman pregnant during the OFB installation?

Yes, she was most definitely pregnant during the OFB installation.  She had her second "bump" just after I entered the lot for the first time after installing OFB.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had this glitch.  Maybe it has nothing to do with OFB at all.

Karen
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 March 04, 10:17:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Karen - is one of the sims in your family of 9 an ex fire or police sim?  I had this happen to me with the base game with a Legacy family.  I had 8 sims in the family and the 'try for baby' option showed up - before I knew it I had 9 sims on the lot.

No, there are no CAS Sims or former NPC's in this particular family.

Karen
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 March 04, 10:25:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Cheesecake Myth appears to be pure and utter weapons-grade bolognium. Scanning of the code reveals that cheesecakes do not appear to have any special properties, and only the following properties appear to influence whether or not a birth will be twins:

1. Pregnancy Modifier Token: This token appears to only be set once in the age controller.
2. Disease: Being infected with a disease appears to negatively affect your twins chance.

Cheesecakes do not have any special codes suggesting they have any effect on twins, nor is the presence or lack thereof of Cheesecakes apparently tested for.

Is there anything in there that checks the size of the family, at or before the birth?  Because even if the cheesecake didn't have anything to do with it, it's still very odd that I got twins with 7 Sims already in the family.  Just wondering....

Karen
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 March 06, 06:17:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As it turns out, Twojeffs has discovered that there is a cheesecake thing.

Unfortunately, it is broken.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 March 06, 06:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Twojeffs has now modded it to work as Maxis apparently intended.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 March 06, 11:21:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Twojeffs has now modded it to work as Maxis apparently intended.

roflmao

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Unsouper
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 March 06, 11:48:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As it turns out, Twojeffs has discovered that there is a cheesecake thing.

Unfortunately, it is broken.

That figures.  Trust Maxis to screw up something they are heavily promoting with this EP :-) 

So this answers my original question:  What happened in my case (7 Sims, pregnant mom gives birtth to twins, making 9 in the family) appears to have been a fluke, some sort of bug that had nothing to do with the new OFB options at all.  Interesting....

Karen
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 March 27, 14:12:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We know the number of sims is checked before you try for baby and you don't get the options if you are up to 8.  I guess when the lullaby plays and the pregnancy modifier says "hey twins!", it doesn't recheck if that's going to take you over 8 sims.  Speculating here, but that's possible.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 March 28, 02:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep I had my ruddy sim eat cheesecake because I am still yet to see twins in my game, when the big day come was it twins? No! Single child again.  Looks like I'll have to get TJ's fix.

Axe murdered since 2006
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 March 28, 02:41:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, I thought the final final concensus is that the cheesecake does work although not quite as advertised. Eating it after the sim is pregnant, in an unmodded game, is supposed to be 100% chance of twins (I'm still iffy on whether there's a window before woohoo that gives you twins, maybe 3 sim hours?). When did you have yours try?

I had my 2nd only set of totally "natural" twins immediately before installing OFB. The parents are darkest skintone and lightest. One twin boy is somewhere close to the darkest skintone and the other is probably a 2 - somewhere in there. And their features are totally different as well. I'm amused that Maxis makes a game where brothers and sisters look so much alike you can't tell them apart (not to mention having exactly the same stats) but twins? Twins are so different, mind-bogglingly different, they don't even look like they had the same father. Even fraternal twins ought to be closer than that. Silly game.

Unsouper
TheCheat
Corpulent Cretin

Yeah man. I'll gnaw your face off.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 March 28, 02:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Twins are determined on conception, guys, not birth. Cheesecake is supposed to work so that if a Sim does Try For Baby within 1-2 hours after eating it, there's a higher chance that there'll be twins.

Eating Cheesecake after a Sim is already pregnant shouldn't be doing anything...  Undecided
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 March 28, 02:51:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eating Cheesecake after a Sim is already pregnant shouldn't be doing anything... 

Yeah but what Maxis intended and what they actually coded are very different things. :p

Test it yourself. Get a sim pregnant, save, let her have the baby, confirm it's a single birth. Go back to the savepoint (after pregnancy started), eat cheesecake, let her give birth. Confirm it's twins.

Unsouper
TheCheat
Corpulent Cretin

Yeah man. I'll gnaw your face off.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 March 28, 02:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate creating test Sims specifically for these purposes...I guess I'll make her look nice so I can just toss her in the townie pool when I'm done instead of deleting her and leaving an unlinked Sim reference. 20 minutes, maybe...
Onion Girl
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 March 28, 02:56:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Twins are determined on conception, guys, not birth. Cheesecake is supposed to work so that if a Sim does Try For Baby within 1-2 hours after eating it, there's a higher chance that there'll be twins.

Eating Cheesecake after a Sim is already pregnant shouldn't be doing anything...  Undecided
Yes, it's the baby's sex hat's determined at birth. But the cheesecake theory is supposed to have some sor of coding that when a pregnant sim eats it, she/he will immediately become pregnant with twins. Not sure of the affects it's meant to have if they're already pregnant with twins. Haven't actually tried this out, as I rarely want twins, too much work. Wink

If you like the smell of doung, and being shouted at by farmers, why not take a trip to the countryside?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: