More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 19:15:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Two versions of the game
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Two versions of the game  (Read 16193 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Two versions of the game
« Reply #25 on: 2006 March 01, 01:08:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just a thought - I know with Sims 1 as long as the registry entries were there, you could run a second version of the game on the second drive, but obviously TS2 is much more complicated!

I think part of the problem may be that when Tim set up the system, he may have become the Network Manager!

Zephyr Zodiac
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 March 01, 01:25:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm trying to work out how that would be done, but haven't a clue.  I'm totally lost.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 March 01, 04:39:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can use a secondary hard drive without having an operating system installed on it.  It just becomes additional storage space with a new drive letter.  However, it's recommended that your OS be installed on your newer drive for a couple of reasons, one is that the newer drives are usually faster due to newer technology, and second, the newer drive would theoretically be more reliable for your OS.  To do so would require reinstalling Windows on the new drive, but first, the drive would have to be set up so that the computer can boot from it.  This would require making changes in the BIOS and/or changing the way the hard drives are connected inside the computer.  This is why a lot of people end up just plugging in a new hard drive as a secondary drive, but it's not the best situation.  I'd recommend that the next time you reinstall Windows, you set it up on the new drive.  That's what I did.

I don't understand what problems you're having ZZ, because you should be able to use the drive just like any other drive.  What do you mean about having files all over the place?  The only thing I can think of is that the default behavior when using the mouse to drag and drop files within the same drive is to "move," meaning the file is no longer at the original location, it is moved to the new location and deleted from the old.  When using the mouse to drag files on different drives, the default action is to "copy," meaning the original file is left as is, and a copy is created at the destination.  There are a few ways to work around this.  You can drag files with the right mouse button so that you get a menu to choose to move or copy, you can hold down the Ctrl key as you drag with the left mouse button, or you can select the files and press Ctrl+X on your keyboard to Cut, then press Ctrl+V at your destination to Paste.  That is, if I'm understanding your problem at all correctly. 

Moving the "My Documents" folder should be no problem.  There is an option to do this so that all your registry entries are updated when you do it.  On your desktop, right-click on the My Documents folder, and select Properties.  There is a button labeled "Move..."  Click that, and you'll be presented with a dialog box to chose the new location.  After doing this, it will ask you if you'd like to move all the contents of the old folder to the new folder, or if you want to do this yourself.  I recommend letting it do it for you.  That's all there is to it.  I always run my My Documents folder from my D partition, which is bigger and I've done it that way for years because of various reasons, even before Windows provided an easy way to do it.  Earlier versions of Windows required more work, but it was doable.  I have my hard drive divided into different drive partitions, but that's another story.

Anyway, I hope I've been of some help.  Let me know if you have questions or if something wasn't clear, and I'll try to clarify it.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 March 01, 09:44:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Rainbow, I never knew a second drive could be used in that way without the OS installed.  My newer (and larger) hard drive is the master and I always install the OS on both drives after a format because dual-booting is the only thing I ever learned to do, it took me hours of searching the web to even put a name to what it was I wanted to do.  Learning about this 'new' way of gaining extra storage is making me sit back and re-consider how I do things though .  I have a format of both drives coming up in a month or so (lotsa upgrades, yay!) I need to weigh the pros and cons of my 'old' way versus your 'new' way. 

I'll probably end up doing things the old way simply because I like having the second OS installed.  It's useful for installing the same game twice on the same system at the same time, unless you know another better way to do that too? 
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 March 01, 09:52:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My brother-in-law recommended having Windows set up on a secondary hard drive simply for the reason that it gives you a way in to fix things if something messes up your original Windows installation.  The only thing is that Windows takes up so much room.  I have it set up this way though on my gaming computer, and it actually came in handy once.  I don't have it set up on my work computer though because I only have one physical hard drive, and there isn't enough room on it for me to make a second partition and install Windows on it.  So I cross my fingers and hope for the best.   Undecided

The only way I know to have more than one installation of the Sims is to have a multiple OS system as you describe or two computers.  It won't let you have more than one under the same Windows installation.  The only other way I can think of is through a virtual computer but the program is expensive and didn't work very well in my experience or the experience of others I've talked to.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 March 01, 10:08:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is very useful under circumstances like that, I've been able to retrieve data from a messed up drive using the other drive and send it through the network to the hubby's system for backup so I could reinstall without losing anything.  It also came in very handy when I upgraded to 1 GB Ram, back when I had 98 on the primary.  98 took offense to the ram and I had to use the xp drive to find workaround solutions to get 98 working with that amount of ram.  I still have the instructions for changing the startup file around somewhere.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 March 01, 11:38:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Rainbow and Miramis, for all the advice.  Yes, my second HD is as you say, Rainbow, merely somewhere to put stuff.  However, the reason it's the larger is that it was part of my original system that Tim built before he upgraded it.   Not much older, but even a few months makes a difference. 

Now, as to drag and drop - it works fine on the main HD, but as I said, on the secondary one, it will only copy, not move.  (which is why I end up with files "all over the place" if I forget to delete the original.)  When I right-click I don't get a move option, merely Send To.

Moving My Documents will save a lot of space for me (I hate it when I get well below 50%, it seems to slow everything down) so I think I'll try that.

I guess it's about time, really, that I did do a complete system restore, as thanks to Microsoft SP2 I have about fifty locked restore points clogging up my system that I can't access (Supposedly removed SP2, but nothing actually went!) so I can't even restore to the day before I finally succumbed and installed the darn thing.  When it didn't do the one thing I'd been told it possibly would, I thought right, why do I need all this extra baggage, but couldn't get rid of it!  So a complete reinstall and then being careful what updates I actually get should help a lot.  Trouble with automatic updates is it will download everything, whether you want it or need it, or not, and then, if you choose not to install some things, they still remain somewhere in case you change your mind!

I've always been wary of reinstalling, though, as I'm terrified it will somehow do both HDs at once!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 March 01, 12:26:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now, as to drag and drop - it works fine on the main HD, but as I said, on the secondary one, it will only copy, not move.  (which is why I end up with files "all over the place" if I forget to delete the original.)  When I right-click I don't get a move option, merely Send To.
Well, like I said, that's really not a bug, it's how it was designed when moving files from one drive to another.  Try dragging the files with the right mouse button, just as you would with the left.  Don't just right click on them.  I think that must be what you are doing to get the Send To option.  Just click on the files you want to move, hold down the right mouse button, and drag them.   When you have the mouse positioned where you want the files to go, release the right mouse button, and you should see a menu pop up with options like Move, Copy, etc.
I've always been wary of reinstalling, though, as I'm terrified it will somehow do both HDs at once!
It's understandable to be scared, but it will only format the drive you are installing Windows to.  It will ask you several times if you are really sure!  Just make sure there are no files you want to keep on that drive.  I always make a Backup folder on my secondary hard drive and copy things I want to save like Bookmarks/Favorites, documents on the desktop, program settings, etc.  It would be a good time to switch drives if you want to, but I suggest getting someone to help you do this since it's rather complicated, especially if you don't know what you're doing.  You may have to change BIOS settings or settings on the hard drives to do this, but it was worth it to me. 

I've learned a good bit about computers over the years, and I am continuing to learn, but my brother-in-law is an invaluable resource to me in fixing my computers when things go wrong.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 March 01, 12:41:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'm wary of the favourites issue - I thought when I had the upgrade that I'd backed them all up, but they were missing when I got the PC back!  I might be safer to copy them over to the other PC too.

I'll try your suggestion about right-clicking and see if I can get it to work!

If I were to switch drives, there wouldn't be room on the main one to back everything up, and unfortunately I only have a DVD drive on the other PC!  But if I move My Documents, that will save  about 10GB+ which will make a huge difference!

I shall no doubt put off reinstalling Windows yet again......

Zephyr Zodiac
Ms_Tamany
Blathering Buffoon

Utterly unAwesome

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 March 01, 12:47:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps limited priveledges on the other drive prevent you from making too many changes.  I don't think it would be a good idea to move My Docs over to the other drive, besides I think it would probably only create a shortcut, though no-doubt there is some sort of trick to getting around that.  I think if you moved the EA games folder like that the game would not be able to find itself anyway. 

It is very easy, and quite safe, to move the 'My Documents' folder to a different drive.  In fact, it can be done right on the desktop.  Right-click on the 'My Documents' shortcut, and bring up 'Properties'.  You'll see that the location of the My Docs folder can be browsed and re-set to wherever you want it to be.  Choose the new location; the computer will ask you if you want to move all your data from the old location to the new one.  Click 'ok' and there you go -- everything's been moved to the new place.  And yes, Sims 2 will find the folder automatically, and will run just fine, and you won't even need to re-install Sims.

-----
This sig don't say nothing.
Ms_Tamany
Blathering Buffoon

Utterly unAwesome

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 March 01, 12:55:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you're REALLY paranoid about accidentally formatting both HDs at once, you can do the very simple, absolutely sure thing, and physically disconnect the drive you don't want to be touched, and then set the remaining drive as the master.  Or, if that's a bit daunting, you can simply disable the HD you don't want touched, by going into the BIOS and selecting that drive, and choosing 'Not Installed', until you're finished with your rebuild and ready for the drive to be available again.

And yes, I've used both methods, several times.  I usually wind up rebuilding my entire system from completely shredded hard drives, about two or three times a year, just because I get bored.  ;-)

Tammy

ETA:  One of these days, I'm going to learn to read ALL of the messages before posting, and learn to combine replies.  Yeah.

-----
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 March 01, 12:57:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, MS TAmany.   Actually, Rainbow already explained it to me, but it's nice to have confirmation.

As to disconnecting the HDs, I think I'll wait and get Tim to do it for me!  I'm physically not able to do much about what goes on inside my computer case these days.

Zephyr Zodiac
Ms_Tamany
Blathering Buffoon

Utterly unAwesome

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 March 01, 13:03:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, that's a shame, ZZ.  It can be rather fun poking around in the innards of your computer.  ;-)

I'm glad that my confirmations were helpful.  Reading this thread has made me get that itchy-palms feeling again; making me consider doing another rebuild.  Of course, it's barely been a month since my last one, so I think I should probably wait.  If I sit on the urge long enough, it'll pass.  There are no glaring bugs or problems that require a rebuild, after all.

Tammy

-----
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 March 01, 13:10:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Afraid it's one of the trials of getting older and having to put up with things like arthritic joints!  But I do need to swop my existing CD Rom drive for DVD one so I can get around to making proper back-ups of important stuff, so maybe when the weather's a bit better I'll ask him to do that, and while he's doing it to help me with the reinstall.  But only if I'm sure my favourites are safe - it was such a pain when I lost them all before!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 March 01, 13:55:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you use IE ZZ?  If so, all you have to do to save your favorites is to copy the Favorites folder to a safe place on your other drive.  It's usually found here: 

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Favorites

I once lost all my favorites because I thought I had gone through everything on my hard drive and saved everything, but that was one thing I forgot!  Sad  I never forgot again, just as I'm sure you won't either!  I have done it so much now that I have a list that I print out of stuff to back up when reformatting my computer, with a backup copy on my Palm.  I'm probably due for a reinstall, but there are no major problems right now.  I hate doing it now because it's so boring to have to go through and install all my programs again and get them configured just how I want them again.
Ms_Tamany
Blathering Buffoon

Utterly unAwesome

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 March 01, 14:21:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, see, if I could figure out how to identify and export ONLY CERTAIN registry keys, then I'd be all set -- I could keep my programs installed on a different drive from C:, and when I re-install the OS again, I could just merge the tiny little .reg files into the system registry, and all my programs would still be set up the way *I* want them!  Ahhh, the time that would save!  But, as brave and foolhardy I can be about fiddling with my registry (after all, a full shred/install can be a FUN way to spend the weekend), I have not yet learned how to identify ALL the keys needed for the various programs.  <massive sigh>

Tammy

-----
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 March 01, 17:04:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, in my case, I have two hard drives, but I don't know how to install the game on the second one, or how to run it from there. 

I installed the game on my secondary HD this last time, and it works fine. All I did was make a Program Files folder, and then EA Games inside that, and then you have to make individual folders for the game, and whatever EPs you have. When you reinstall the game, you get the option to install elsewhere. Simply browse to the correct folder for whichever it is, and install it there. I am not sure if you have to make a new Program Files folder. I just did that because it seemed like the right thing to do. The important thing is to create the game folders because if you do not install to the default location, it will not create an EA Games folder or a game folder. The icons will show up on the desktop as normal. Grin

rainbow: Thanks for posting that about moving the My Documents folder. I had no idea you could do that! this will make my game run much better I am sure! my main HD is a 60G ATA (older) and my new one is an 80G SATA -fast as hell. I love it!  Now it won't have to search both drives while I am playing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 March 01, 17:17:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nec, do you mean I can do it although I only have the system installed on the main drive?  (I know I could do that with sims1, I could run as many copies of diffrent versions there as I wanted, but it seems a lot more complicated with sims2.)  It would be great if I could do that, then I could run OFB with NL and no Uni if I wanted - I have a feeling that all the EPs together would become unmanageable for me!

And my other PC only has 512 MB of RAM, so it really only plays sims2 on its own properly.

Zephyr Zodiac
Nec
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 March 01, 17:44:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nec, do you mean I can do it although I only have the system installed on the main drive?  (I know I could do that with sims1, I could run as many copies of diffrent versions there as I wanted, but it seems a lot more complicated with sims2.)  It would be great if I could do that, then I could run OFB with NL and no Uni if I wanted - I have a feeling that all the EPs together would become unmanageable for me!

And my other PC only has 512 MB of RAM, so it really only plays sims2 on its own properly.

Yeah , you don't have to install another system. Even though you install the game on your secondary HD it will show up in your add/remove programs list on your main drive. You just want it on your other drive because it has more space, right? Or do you mean install TS2, OFB & NL on one drive and TS2, Uni, &NL on the other?

I have no idea about installing it in two different locations, though it might work. - since the paths to the game files would be different for each installation. Then again, it may blow up your computer. I may try that just to see if it works sometime soon.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 March 01, 18:00:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did actually mean two installations - it used to work with sims1 because you could make a vanilla base game which would run from the same registry entry as the main game.  You could then add EPs to either the main game or the vanilla game.  If you wanted to add to both, I think you basically just copied the files over, but it's a while since I did it and I'm not too sure now.  Then, any copy you had on your 2nd HD could be loaded from the shortcut within the game folder, or from the programs list.  And if one game had MM as the last EP, and the other had, say, SS, you could just have both shortcuts on the desktop.  (I think that's how it worked anyway!)

Zephyr Zodiac
Nec
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 March 01, 18:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, ok. I have no idea about that. That's cool that you could do that with the Sims 1. I have never played it, really. That would be rather handy to do though. I have no intention of getting OFB right now since I am still really happy with Uni and NL, but when I get bored enough with the game to get it I would like to have that option because I just don't think my pc would be happy with 3 expansions at the same time either Undecided

After I finish my custom neighborhood, I will burn my files and then test it out. I want to do a new install of the game soon anyway, and will post the results - unless someone else does it first. I am pretty close to done, so it shouldn't be too long.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 March 01, 18:19:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great!  All new information is gratefully received by everyone here!

Actually, I rather feel that  even if I had a really powerful PC that could cope with anything thrown at it, that I would still rather not have both OFB and Uni in the same game - it would just take forever to play!  Even if it means doig without some of the Uni objects, I think there'd probably be enough new ones to compensate.

Zephyr Zodiac
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 March 01, 18:41:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is very easy, and quite safe, to move the 'My Documents' folder to a different drive.  In fact, it can be done right on the desktop.  Right-click on the 'My Documents' shortcut, and bring up 'Properties'.  You'll see that the location of the My Docs folder can be browsed and re-set to wherever you want it to be.  Choose the new location; the computer will ask you if you want to move all your data from the old location to the new one.  Click 'ok' and there you go -- everything's been moved to the new place.  And yes, Sims 2 will find the folder automatically, and will run just fine, and you won't even need to re-install Sims.

Thanks for this information Tammy, I had no idea this could be done!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: