More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:24:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Any Roleplayers? The kind with math?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Any Roleplayers? The kind with math?  (Read 7851 times)
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
Any Roleplayers? The kind with math?
« on: 2005 August 10, 16:05:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was wondering if there were any tabletop roleplayers gallavanting about the site. I have some suspicions, but I was sort of curious. Also, anyone ever done any online/forum type roleplaying? I'm considering the possibility of running a game electronically, and thought this might be a good place to get advice/recruit. It's still in the earliest of planning stages, of course, but if anyone's interested I'll push it up a few notches in priority on the "List o' Random Stuff Oddysey Works On Spasmatically."

That, and I was wondering how many other people here are itching to break out the dice and show those nitwits on the BBS what REAL roleplaying is about. Not that inane sentence completing business. Bet most of those people wouldn't know a d20 if it hit them in the face.

I believe I may have just branded myself as a complet geek. If I haven't already, of course, seeing as I have a t-shirt with the "geek." printed on it in large letters.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Any Roleplayers? The kind with math?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 10, 16:06:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to, but my skills don't translate electronically.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 10, 16:15:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't had a lot of roleplaying experience, but have played some. I enjoyed it. Wouldn't mind a game.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 10, 16:23:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Its been a while since I've last done some roleplaying, last time it was the 7th sea system. I havent done tabletop, or online games, only the old fashioned "gather around a table with friends" type of game.

And, im female. That would probably stamp me as a rather rare breed Tongue

But I might be game, if you toss some more info my way some time. Or our way Cheesy

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 10, 16:26:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We do have a chat channel you can use, if you want to start an Oddysey land for that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 10, 18:25:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Until recently, I played Everquest extensively, but found it to be too much of a "time bandit."

I used to play d&d when I was younger. I still have all the stuff.

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 10, 18:56:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I RP. On hiatus right now as I don't have a local group, having moved overseas, and haven't found an online game I care for in some time. I prefer freeform for online gaming - rules, but no dice rolling, so it's like interactive storytelling or improv acting through text. I used to help run a few games on IRC. I've forum RPed but it takes a group of people who can be patient, but who will also post fairly often and not disappear for a week at a time. For tabletop, I've suffered through many a D&D session (can't stand the system unless the other players are a lot of fun to play with), but I'm planning to run a game in GURPS sometime soonish. I like the flexibility it gives me. Smiley I've also played some White Wolf stuff, but I can't really pass judgement on the system as the GM I had could make anything convoluted and painful.

I don't think female gamers are exactly rare anymore. We probably aren't equal in numbers to male gamers, but there are a lot of us. The RP convention I went to last month had plenty of female participants, I'm happy to say!

Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

Where'd my avatar go? This will do for now.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 10, 20:35:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I played Stars Wars online for about a year, as that was the amount of time it took for me to realise I don't like to socialize on the computer in real time. It also got boring after one of my friends got banned permanently for making a giant creature named "I'm a moron" follow some guy around who annoyed him. We thought it was funny. I don't know what the guy's problem was.

Anyway, I've never been into the D&D thing even though my house was host to many game. They spent more time arguing over the rules and smoking than they ever did playing, so I never saw the point to the whole thing. Maybe they were a poor example. I'd be interested to see what you come up with though, Oddysey. If it sounds fun, I'd be willing to try it out.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 10, 22:24:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds interesting enough. How about some more information? I'm not real big on RPG's, maybe the right one has not come along yet.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 10, 22:30:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not much of a traditional RPGer, due to the fact that using my brain while playing a game is a strict no-no in my book.  I do play Knights of the Old Republic and Morrowind, but those are the new-fangled kinds of RPGs with textures and shading and sprites and whatnot.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Jarsie
Pinheaded Pissant

Chihuahuas rule and other dogs drool!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 11, 06:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hang out on a German mud called Xyllomer. My son-in-law introduced me to it. It's a text based fantasy game set in a medieval land called Xyllomer, and it's been running for over 10 years now.

I play an elf, and my character is a cleric. Other than that, and a little bit of Ultima Online, that's about the extent of my roleplaying experience.

MATY Buddies: Everyone on Ms. Perception's buddy list, plus the *other* Ferrets and Kookiedoe. And now Ausimpv just because it will piss a certain stupidone off, and because she asked me nicely. Oh, and Theisz, just cause I felt like adding her to my MATY buddies list.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 11, 06:39:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I played D & D about 26 years ago. My little elven thief died after she attacked a high level wizard.  Undecided (Duh!)

Haven't played except for computer games since. (Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind). I'd be interested in hearing more of your idea Oddysey. Generally I'm not attracted to chat and real time stuff on the Internet 'cos I discovered there are as many morons online as there are in RL. However the people here are of a different calibre...

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 15, 17:48:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did various MU* RPGs for about a decade, but they were consensual rather than dice/engine-driven (i.e., no one could kill you unless you agreed in advance to be killed -- it was about roleplaying, not about points/quests/etc. .... though the site staff did host (gm) quests from time to time for those who cared to participate).  So I guess no, it wasn't the kind with math ..... so I guess I'm just rambling, but oh well ...

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 16, 01:54:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds interesting, but I don't really know much about roleplaying.

Willing to learn and make an idiot of myself tho, Cap'n!

<insert witty comment here>
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 16, 16:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to play Cyberpunk in college, my favorite character was a medtech. I also played my fair share of D & D in HS, I still have all my books and such. But alas, I have little time to do much anymore. There is so much pressure applied by my daughters' school district to meet and exceed standards that I feel like I have barely any time to breathe.  Angry

However our participation as Civil War reenactors is fulfilling our roleplaying needs quite nicely. We totally immerse ourselves in the characters we create; we dress, eat and talk like we are in 1863. It helps to reinforce to the spectators that history (good, bad and ugly) brought us to where we are today and that we should strive to learn from it. Not to metion it's a complete blast and we totally enjoy ourselves. Where else do you get to play "let's pretend" as a grown up? I wish my husband had more time to take off work and that the school wasn't so moronic about excusing absences, we'd get involved in Revolutionary War reenacting too. But at least we have the Civil War stuff. I really enjoy stepping away from my 2005 worries and becoming "Mrs. Eleanor Bickford" (my 1st person character) for a couple of days. Strange as it may sound, I find it to be really therapeutic.
kasumiarmstrong
Asinine Airhead

moof

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 16, 18:17:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do like playing RPGs a lot, my current favorite is Legend of Mana.  I do RP occasionaly, notably being either the quiet person who talks at the perfect time, or the random idiot who gets kicked all the time.   Grin

Sun Ce: Father, let me have the meatbun!
Sun Jian: This shall be your first meatbun.  I shall expect good things.
Sun Jian to Huang Gai: Take care of him.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: