More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 00:10:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Memories- do they give my sims a slow death?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Memories- do they give my sims a slow death?  (Read 12036 times)
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
Memories- do they give my sims a slow death?
« on: 2006 February 23, 04:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am wondering if too many memories will corrupt a sim.'
I had a vampire hanging around forever. He is my absolute favourite and he is not going to die as long as I am alive!
So if he had like, 100 pages of mempries of "meeting xxx" etc and other useless memories, will my sim eventually be corrupted and DIE?
I am kinda worried here...

Thanks. Smiley

Go Away
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Memories- do they give my sims a slow death?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 23, 05:24:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Manual writes this:

Vampires:

* Don't reflect in mirrors.

* can turn other sims to vampires with the Bite Neck social.

* Don't age; they remain in their current age group forever.

This is written about adult vampires. Until after college, the kids grow as usual.
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 23, 05:30:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Manual writes this:

Vampires:

* Don't reflect in mirrors.

* can turn other sims to vampires with the Bite Neck social.

* Don't age; they remain in their current age group forever.

This is written about adult vampires. Until after college, the kids grow as usual.
thanks. I know all that. But what I need to know is : Will too many memories corrupt a sim?  Makes the sim cranky or stuff like that?
I cite the vamp as example because he lives forever and already had 20 frigging pages of memories!  Shocked

Go Away
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 23, 06:12:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm curious on the answer too because i made a vampire sim and i plan to have her live forever so eventually she'll be over watching the 20th+ generation of her children.

Should be there a maxium the first thing to go are those stupid met so and so memories, totally useless.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 23, 08:38:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, make sure you have all the anti-spam mods you need, and remove unnecessary invisible memories - but make sure they're safe to remove.

Zephyr Zodiac
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 23, 08:44:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If a vampire lives forever (I begin to like the idea, lol - until now I ignored the vampires), it makes sense that the number of the memories won't corrupt his file. In TS1, at the beginning, we were restricted to a certain number of downloads; with the added EPs, the number was changed to "unlimited". May be it's done here too.

As ZZ said, you can delete some unimportant memories. But I think only JMP or another modder can answer to this question.

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 23, 10:36:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You would assume that all the extra memories wouldn't affect anything, otherwise Maxis wouldn't have introduced vampires & zombies in the first place, but to assume that would also mean assuming Maxis know what they're doing and I find that extremely hard to assume. 

You can certainly delete any invisible memories pertaining to useless crap, especially the "Fell in Love With So & So" type of memories they get if they just happen to be present when something takes place.  With these memories, they're not likely to get them back again because this sort of thing doesn't tend to get passed on after the event very often.  Invisible memories relating to family members are probably best left alone, but those relating to people who just happened to be around at the time can be disposed of because they don't really serve any useful purpose.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 23, 11:02:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thanks. I know all that. But what I need to know is : Will too many memories corrupt a sim?  Makes the sim cranky or stuff like that?
I cite the vamp as example because he lives forever and already had 20 frigging pages of memories!  Shocked
Too many pages of memories will not "corrupt" a sim in the sense that the game will explode in a big fiery ball visible from space, but may start to manifest symptoms of bad memory access (Too Many Iterations resets) anytime the affected sim attempts to perform various memory-access functions. With TMI now requiring 10x as many interations as before, this may take awhile, and when it does, it should be easy enough to stop, for instance, modifying the actions to only check the first 150-odd memories. All in all, the problem is presently only theoretical, but the possibility exists. It is not, however, fatal and can be repaired if it manifests.

In theory, a maximum number of memory tokens may exist at around 30000. This is potentially reachable and at this point, bad things happen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 23, 13:58:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Too many pages of memories will not "corrupt" a sim in the sense that the game will explode in a big fiery ball visible from space, but may start to manifest symptoms of bad memory access (Too Many Iterations resets) anytime the affected sim attempts to perform various memory-access functions. With TMI now requiring 10x as many interations as before, this may take awhile, and when it does, it should be easy enough to stop, for instance, modifying the actions to only check the first 150-odd memories. All in all, the problem is presently only theoretical, but the possibility exists. It is not, however, fatal and can be repaired if it manifests.

In theory, a maximum number of memory tokens may exist at around 30000. This is potentially reachable and at this point, bad things happen.

Thank you JMP for being so awesome  Tongue

With ur assuring reply, I feel sure that my beloved vamp will live forever. Previously I have 'locked' him at home to prevent him from meeting too many people and such...

I wish there is a hack or somethng to nuke all those "meet xxx" memories. To me, they are 100% useless.

ETA: Since you mention the possibilty of "bad things" happen, I think I will clone my sim in case it happens . So yeah, for those who wants their vamps to live as long as yourself, better make a clone of the sim  Wink i

Go Away
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 23, 20:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the explaination i don't think my sim will be reaching 30k memories anytime soon.
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 24, 00:18:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So yeah, for those who wants their vamps to live as long as yourself, better make a clone of the sim  Wink i

How to make a clone of the sim, may I ask?

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 24, 00:25:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lion, there are various threads dealing with this fairly comprehensibly, but basically, you use the clone option in SimPE, and then when you install the clone files into either downloads or Saved Sims, they will appear as faces in CAS next time you load your game.  You would then need to use that face to create your sim, and later edit whatever of their personality etc. you wished in SimPE.

Zephyr Zodiac
Lion
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 24, 00:52:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lion, there are various threads dealing with this fairly comprehensibly, but basically, you use the clone option in SimPE, and then when you install the clone files into either downloads or Saved Sims, they will appear as faces in CAS next time you load your game.  You would then need to use that face to create your sim, and later edit whatever of their personality etc. you wished in SimPE.

I see, thanks. Last time I know, I can do surgery on sims, now clones?! hehe...

Sims 3 Blog: Twinbrook Redux
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 24, 01:02:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish there is a hack or somethng to nuke all those "meet xxx" memories. To me, they are 100% useless.

There is SimPE, and if you get the Memories editor enhancements for SimPe plugin in Peasantry, it shouldn't be too painful. Shift-select all those "meet xxx" memories, then 'cascade delete' to clean out those invisible ones in other sims' memories too.
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 24, 05:26:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is SimPE, and if you get the Memories editor enhancements for SimPe plugin in Peasantry, it shouldn't be too painful. Shift-select all those "meet xxx" memories, then 'cascade delete' to clean out those invisible ones in other sims' memories too.

I'd only do this on Met XX for dead Sims that your vampire isn't liable to meet again, though, because otherwise they'll just get them back again the next time they interact with that Sim. I had to replace a corrupt Sim with a clone a while back, and I fabricated back her important memories (not any meeting people memories) up to where she got corrupted, and put back the relationships she had with everyone, but there are huge tracts of memories after that where she's meeting people again that she has 100/100 with.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 24, 11:09:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's really no point in deleting them, and I for one never delete visible memories owned by the sim in question and with the memory token in place - unless I'm planning on deleting the sim the memories refer to.

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 24, 20:10:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd only do this on Met XX for dead Sims that your vampire isn't liable to meet again, though, because otherwise they'll just get them back again the next time they interact with that Sim.

I was under the impression that they don't get it twice. Looking at the pre-made YAs living in the same households, there weren't any 'Met xxx' memories of the other members in the household, so I assumed they won't get a new 'Met xxx' if the sim in question was already marked 'Known' Tongue.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 24, 20:17:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I should think you're right, but even if you have 1,000 sims (dead or alive) in your hood, that's only 999 met XX memories, far below the 30,000 that JM mentioned as being critical!

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 24, 20:38:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can be over-zealous in cleaning out memories sometimes, (I'd like if they don't talk about burnt dinners anymore - gossip about something else already! Sheesh!) but mainly so that looking through their massive numbers of memories they'll inevitably amass in game isn't so slow.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 24, 21:07:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, it's a pain when you want to scroll back and check how many woohoos they've amassed!

Zephyr Zodiac
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 24, 22:23:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would it be possible to make a hack in which no new memories are ever created?  That might stop a load of this invalid memory and junk copies of sims being transferred with houses.  I think Maxis honestly needs to revise these memories in an expansion and make it more of a menu or something.  For example, instead of having pages and pages of "Met" memories they would just have a large bloated list of sims they have met.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 25, 00:05:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but some memories are important!  If the total number of memories can now reach 30,000, your sim would have to live a very long time.........

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 25, 08:12:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't bother with 'Met xxx' memories, but I can definitely do without another 'Met' grandchild memory. Grandparents have these 'Met new Grandchild [insert name]', then another 'Met [insert name]' when they actually meet the new grandchild. It's weird how that memory was worded, but since they've already 'Met' the grandchild, why have another 'Met' memory?
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 25, 10:03:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree, that "Met Grandchild" memory is weird...especially when they never have.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 25, 10:37:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it may be important for a Family sim with the HaveSixGrandchildren LTW to have these memories.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: