More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 23, 05:20:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?  (Read 102054 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: CONFESS! How many of you pay for downloads?
« Reply #50 on: 2006 February 21, 21:04:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's very difficult to make a distinction between paying for a download and paying a contribution towards the site costs.  Whichever it is,  it's down to personal choice in the end - nobody is twisting your arm to pay!

Zephyr Zodiac
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 February 21, 21:12:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well I'm disabled and on a very limited income and I have a kid, so I have no extra money to pay for custom content (except for here of course)

I drool over some of the pay/donation hair at Peggy Sims 2 and TSR and other sites  Sad  Thankfully some people share  Smiley

which reminds me, I was given "peggyhairmesh0009" with just the blonde color, if any one happens to have the others could you send them my way?  I really suck at recoloring hair  Roll Eyes  edit - got them, Thanks!

« Last Edit: 2006 February 22, 00:52:17 by Sleepycat » Logged
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2006 February 21, 21:17:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now see this is the way I see it.

Firstly, no one makes anyone pay for downloads, if you don't want to, don't.  It really is that simple.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on paysites, and sure, say they suck if that's what you think.  But make sure you are actually saying it out of an ethical standpoint.  Not "Paysites suck becuase there's something I want on that site but I can't have it boo hoo!" Not that I am saying any of those who have expressed their opinion here is like that.  And believe me when I say if I did think that, I would say it.

I have downloaded from free sites and donation sites and subscription sites.  I have also created for free sites and donation sites, and subscription sites. It's my money, I can choose what to spend it on, and if that means I want to sub to a sims site, or if I was to hire a team of Russian Cossacks that's my choice.

There are some sites who are blatantly making a profit, but then so does every shop/store and if you want to get funny about people charging for game-related stuff, take a look on e-bay.  Not just CD's of sims downloads, (probably not created by the Seller at all) to plans and schematics for games like Eve-online.  At the end of the day we live in a consumer driven society.

What irks me about donation sites though is when sites split stes.  Like "Download out fansatic new FREE!! bedroom set (apart from the bed and dresser which are donation objects)  Well, it's either a free bedroom set, then the bed would be free since last I looked it was pretty essential for a bedroom to have a bed, or it's adonation set with freebies.  Let's stop getting the two confused.

And while I'm at it, about the diva-ish-ness of creators, I don't get that either.  Perhaps I am not of an artistic enough temprament.  Personally I create because I enjoy it.  not for fame, or glory or recognition.  I couldn't gove a hoot if no one has my stuff in ther game, or if a few do, or even if everyone does.  Big Whoop!  I enjoyed creating it, I enjoy having it in my game, so I choose to share with other who may or may not decide they like and want it too, but at the end of the day, take my stuff, redisribute it, cut and paste it into a franken-recolour, whatever.  Just as long as it's being used and enjoyed.  The constant diva tantrums of "Oh I saw somene upload my bikini I made to the exchange, now I shall never create again because my fragile ego can't stand the thought that all shall not know my name and bow before my truely might bikini creations!" it's just an attention seeking ploy, it's really a cry of "Quick, stroke my ego, I'm not feeling the love!"

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006 February 21, 21:32:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know I really dont think its a wise choice to keep broadcasting that certain people share pay content. It is theft plain and simple, I doubt that anyone of you would be so brazen as to broadcast that you can get so and so a free stereo from Best Buy because you bought one and you found a way to steal another one. I am just saying, I dont think its a good idea. You want to pm each other and share, great, but this broadcasting business is only going to bite you on the ass in the long run.

That is all I have to say on this subject matter. What I do in my spare time with my money is my business, and I have no crimes to confess.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2006 February 21, 21:36:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wise as always, Nectere!  And I totally agree with you, if you can't afford something, or aren't prepared to pay for it, for whatever reason, that's just the way it goes.  But unless a site is known to be File share Friendly, then sharing files is not on!  Some non-pay sites also prefer that you give a link to their site too.

Zephyr Zodiac
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2006 February 21, 21:38:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just want to be clear....The first rule of the fight club...
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006 February 21, 23:11:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm. I donated to SimTeen once way back when for Sims1, because I really enjoyed having that hack and actually getting to grow up my kids, but it wasn't 'pay for'. As for that, I shared a subscription to TSR with a friend a year ago but I let it expire when I moved in RL and had less money. I also donated on the Sims1 Simslice site to get the weather machine, but that's about it. I've been tempted to lately, for some things, but I really can't afford it, so I don't, especially since I'm not even sure I can get the next expansion right now...
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006 February 21, 23:35:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

or if I was to hire a team of Russian Cossacks that's my choice.

But what would you do with a team of Russian Cossacks?  Cheesy

The constant diva tantrums of "Oh I saw somene upload my bikini I made to the exchange, now I shall never create again because my fragile ego can't stand the thought that all shall not know my name and bow before my truely might bikini creations!" it's just an attention seeking ploy, it's really a cry of "Quick, stroke my ego, I'm not feeling the love!"

Oh man that drives me up the damn WALL. They're actually worse than the amatuer artists online who make a federal case over someone using a bit of their art as an lj background without asking.

What also irritates me is the ones who threaten to stop creating and leave the Internet FOR EVER because they've gotten mean comments. Oh noes.

Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 February 21, 23:48:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know this was that type of confessional....... Tongue
Wolfee
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 February 22, 00:38:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

or if I was to hire a team of Russian Cossacks that's my choice.

The constant diva tantrums of "Oh I saw somene upload my bikini I made to the exchange, now I shall never create again because my fragile ego can't stand the thought that all shall not know my name and bow before my truely might bikini creations!" it's just an attention seeking ploy, it's really a cry of "Quick, stroke my ego, I'm not feeling the love!"

Oh man that drives me up the damn WALL. They're actually worse than the amatuer artists online who make a federal case over someone using a bit of their art as an lj background without asking.

What also irritates me is the ones who threaten to stop creating and leave the Internet FOR EVER because they've gotten mean comments. Oh noes.

<giggles> I know, I want to shout out "Good Leave!" I also can't stand when someone begs to have you thank them for it or to comment how great their item is but no bad comments please. Kind of pathetic and sad
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2006 February 22, 01:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was at MTS2 the other day downloading stuff, and one of the creators actually said "Don't forget the thank you button!". I thought that was odd. I wouldn't want to be thanked if I had to tell someone to do it, unless it's by my son, but he's still in training on social etiquette.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 February 22, 01:05:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And this is why MATY has no such button.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2006 February 22, 01:13:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

when I'm at mts2 downloading, if the creators mention the stupid thank you button at all, then I won't thank them! if it isn't mentioned then I do  Wink
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 February 22, 01:26:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And this is why MATY has no such button.

And thank you for that.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 February 22, 01:36:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I've ever thanked a creator at MTS2.  I rate everyone at TSR only because I have to if I want the rating folder to empty (and it drives me crazy if it's not).
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2006 February 22, 02:04:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to say I think that the MTS2 "Thanks" button is a great idea. I really wish to thank some folks there who share their fantastic creations. I know its time consuming to create all these and there is nothing wrong in me wanting to show my appreciation.

I always make sure I click the "thanks" button regardless of whether the person mentions it. If they do it for a hobby that's fine with me. If they want recongniton, that's also fine with me. The important thing is the download was shared FOC and I don't mind stroking egos to get it. Who doesn't want their egos stroked once a while to feel good? I would love it too, so would you.
And what's the name of this website?  Grin and whose ego we stroke all the time here?  Roll Eyes

Yes, my US$9.95 comment is made based on Peggy Sims2 site. I am so tempted now. I am practically dying for that bridal veil.
I am still resisting...but I don't know for how long.
By the way, did you guys know that semoi have a new site on her own and she has a new hair there she shared for free while its also paid content on TSR? Go grab it. Its a guy's hair.

And yes, I think we shouldn't share paid content 'publicly'. Its ok to do it in private as long as its discreet and we don't broadcast.

Yes, hobbies cost $. I am skipping buying a few shirts and having a few less sodas for my VL habit.

and I am not sure if that's right...I mean losing RL for VL hobby...so its a 'confession' in that sense, I guess. Not to imply paying for cc is a sin...

Go Away
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2006 February 22, 03:03:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have a link for semoi's site Jysudo?     I would love to go take a look.

Smiley
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 February 22, 03:05:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have a link for semoi's site Jysudo?     I would love to go take a look.

Smiley
U sure you want it. Don't blame me for the bulge in ur downloads folder. I will be back here shortly with the link. Need to search for it and her files are HUGE like 10 mb. I hope u are not on dial up.

Go Away
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2006 February 22, 03:09:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmmm    my downloads folder may not Thank You but I do.    I'm a sucker for nice clothes and genetics.

I also have high speed internet.   I haven't had a problem with downloading anything at MTS2 in the last couple of days.    Maybe I am one of the lucky ones.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2006 February 22, 03:15:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just called at the right time of day!

Zephyr Zodiac
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2006 February 22, 03:24:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meaning me Zephyr Zodiac?     Yes, I am a nighthawk.    When everyone else is sleeping I am usually surfing the net or lurking here reading the forums.     I need to get my laughs in for the day.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2006 February 22, 03:29:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thought so.  The problem I had wasn't with getting half a download, or a slow connection or anything like that, I just kept getting the file not found page!  so I think I too called at a quiet time, but someone was doing some maintenance!

Zephyr Zodiac
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2006 February 22, 03:35:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may have been lucky then.    Awhile back the site was very slow for me.    I think this was just when they split the site and changed the format.    I stayed away for quite awhile because I found it just too frustrating.    I knew it wasn't my computer and I do have a high speed connection, so I just moved on.
I actually played my game more and managed to get my Downloads folder organized.   
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2006 February 22, 03:58:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here you go.

http://seomi.zzo.net/

I been following her like a lurker.
She is no longer posting on MTs2. She has her own site and she has been uploading stuff to TSR and her own site.
Her site is free. So grab everything while you can 'cos if TSR is smart, they will make her an FA soon. And if she accepts, that's it. More $ spilling out of pockets and I will have no shirts to wear.

Go Away
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2006 February 22, 04:00:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank You  Jysudo.     I'm going over to look now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: