More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 15:26:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Stupid stairs corrupting!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Stupid stairs corrupting!  (Read 19594 times)
ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
Stupid stairs corrupting!
« on: 2006 February 15, 18:43:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone else have the problem of stairs becoming corrupt on lots on occassion and having to delete them all? Well, I do, and in the normal and downtown homes everything is fine. Burnate those bastards and place new stairs, VIOLA, back to playing. Well in college there is a small problem. YOU CAN'T ADD NEW STAIRCASES! So basically, you're screwed to either deleting the stairs and removing all things on levels above first story (Including burnating dormie doors) and adding beds into a area for the dormies (or laughing with evil as you watch them all slowly waste away from lack of sleep).

This is mostly caused by Maxis made stairs, in which they don't use the normal staircases, but those retarded porch stairs that seem highly unstable and go corrupt constantly when used for anything other than porches!

Is their a way to fix this? Someone has had to have this happen to them once (Or many, MANY times).

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Stupid stairs corrupting!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 15, 18:46:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you can use this cheat to enable build mode

boolProp dormspecifictoolsdisabled false

ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 15, 18:52:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know about that cheat. Thanks, I will enjoy it! XD

Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 15, 18:55:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe you can do:

boolProp testingcheatsenabled true

and shift-click on the stairs to reset them.  I notice my chairs in dorms often become unusable and this fixes them.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 15, 19:16:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also try to avoid distracting a sim who is about to go upstairs/sit down/ etc. as this is what causes the object to become unusable.  So, if you want to get rid of a visiting sim who is being a pain, use the Visitor Zapper or the teleporter, don't just delete them.

Zephyr Zodiac
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 15, 19:25:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since installing NL, a lot of my staircases flash red all the time.  It's only certain ones, such as the one in the Goth house, but it's extremely annoying.  I've also had stairs suddenly become unusable for no apparent reason and have had to delete them and replace them.  And why is it that with some staircases, the sims will follow each other up or down with no problem at all (I often have 3 or 4 of them on the staircase at once), but with other staircases they scream blue murder and cancel out whatever reason they were going up/down the stairs?

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 15, 19:39:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ancient Sim.... i think you  can have more than one sim on modular stairs, and have them pass each other to going up and down, but on the normal stairs you can't
i might be wrong though, but i'm sure this is the case
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 15, 19:40:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no problem with modular stairs, provided the sims are friends - it's the solid stairs that are the problem (at least in my experience) and then it doesn't matter whether they are friends or not, they won't use the staircase two at a time.

As to the flashing red, I've never seen it, but maybe the stairs in question are recolours?

Zephyr Zodiac
ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 15, 19:58:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed a good way to stop this from happening, but it involves having two sets of stairs next to each other. That way it is far less likely that sims will have problems causing the stairs to spazz out.

Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 15, 20:36:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I'd like to know is why the relationship between 2 Sims should matter when it comes to using a set of stairs at the same time.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 15, 20:46:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me too, because I've never had it matter in my game. Sims will follow each other just fine up modular stairs if there is not a sim on the module they are trying to step on at that moment.

ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 15, 20:51:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims will only share staircases if I'm using the porch stairs. Any "normal" staircases is for one sim at a time. Maybe they're afraid of fire hazards and life-saftey codes? Is there a Sim OSHA?

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 15, 21:00:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have always two pair of stairs, to prevent jam and complaints.

You can replace everywhere the stairs (hood, downtown and Uni), if you first remove the roof. If the roof is on - you can't replace the stairs. After that, put the roof again.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 15, 21:07:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims will always share if the stairs are modular (the porch steps that extend to whatever needed length). They will never share stairs if they are the single-object stairs (fixed length); these stairs are one object and can only be used by one sim at a time. The modular stairs can be used by more than one sim at a time because they are a bunch of separate modules, each one being an object. You'll notice that if you send a sim up modular stairs just as another is going up, they'll complain and then start going when the other sim is five or more steps up.

resin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 15, 21:35:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an even dumber problem, and if anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

I can never, ever get modular stairs to show up as a "regular" staircase. That is, I can get modular stairs to connect, say, a porch with the ground, but I cannot get a legitimate (green) modular staircase to connect two floors of a house. The most common problem is in a pre-made house I will have to delete the pre-existing modular stairs for some reason. Fine. When I go back to replace the stairs I cannot get a modular staircase to be anything other than red even if I place them exactly where the old staircase was! In every case, I've had to replace the modular stairs with a full staircase.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? If someone could stand it, I'd love a painstaking rundown of how to do it. ("There should be exactly x squares open on the floor, the cursor commanding the stairs should be placed on the upper floor, etc.) If no one wants to bother, I totally understand.
gjam
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 15, 21:41:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an even dumber problem, and if anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

I can never, ever get modular stairs to show up as a "regular" staircase. That is, I can get modular stairs to connect, say, a porch with the ground, but I cannot get a legitimate (green) modular staircase to connect two floors of a house. The most common problem is in a pre-made house I will have to delete the pre-existing modular stairs for some reason. Fine. When I go back to replace the stairs I cannot get a modular staircase to be anything other than red even if I place them exactly where the old staircase was! In every case, I've had to replace the modular stairs with a full staircase.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? If someone could stand it, I'd love a painstaking rundown of how to do it. ("There should be exactly x squares open on the floor, the cursor commanding the stairs should be placed on the upper floor, etc.) If no one wants to bother, I totally understand.

I don't recall the exact number of squares, but the modular stairs DO need more space than the regular stairs.  That's probably your main problem.

Now playing: UNI, NL, OFB, & Pets
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 15, 21:43:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The premade houses were sometimes made with odd cheats, and sometimes the roof gets in the way. You may find that if you remove the roofs, you can place stairs more easily.

As for placing them in the first place, I've found that I have to have a tile placed where they begin, and then five or more tiles empty ahead of that for the stairs.  You can cover up that fifth place after the stairs are placed but not before, and it has to be removed if you delete the stairs to put different ones in. There needs to be the same amount of room on the bottom, but offset by one - so the tile just in front of the stairs must be free. I think they take up one more tile than the single object stairs do.

What I often do when placing modular stairs is place one tile for the landing, and then the stairs, and finally the rest of the floor for that storey, and then build from there. It means you may need to plan ahead a fair bit, but it makes it easier to get the stairs placed at all. Just be aware that if you delete those stairs to place different modular stairs, that they will need five tiles free, not four.

resin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 15, 21:47:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, gjam and renatus. The extra space is probably the issue. If the pre-made houses were cheated, that would explain why I can never delete the stairs then put them back in the exact same place. I've certainly made the roof mistake before, but not all the time. Since I had no idea modular stairs take more space, that's probably the culprit.

Thanks! *breathes sigh of relief*
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 15, 21:56:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a problem with stairs becoming unusable in the Frat house at Sim State.  Shift-clicking will not work on stairs.  They are the solid, one-piece type.  If you play this house, you know there are two sets of stairs going up from the foyer--one to the left, and one to the right.  Both of these became blocked for some reason, and I never could figure out why.  I just noticed that my sims were unable to go to bed or use the bathrooms upstairs for some reason.  They would get a thought bubble about the stairs when I tried to send them.  Sims who were upstairs could come down just fine, but they could not go up.  If I teleported them upstairs, they could use the bathroom, sleep, come back downstairs, etc.   I even tried buyable fire to burn anything that might be blocking the top of the stairs, but that didn't work.  So I had to delete the stairs and replace them every time this happened.  This was right before NL was released, and I noticed that after NL, I wasn't able to replace the stairs after deleting them unless I enabled moveobjects.  I'm not sure why this was.  I posted about this at that time, and the suggestion was to use the modular stairs.  I tried doing that, but I had to remodel the house to accommodate them since they require more room, as Renatus mentioned.  After that, something else messed up and I had to move them out and bulldoze the lot.  I replaced it with the same house from another Sim State, and it seems to be working fine so far.  I haven't gotten around to redoing the stairs again, but I haven't had the problem occur again.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 15, 22:13:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a problem trying to place stairs in a different place when I was remodelling the house next door to the summerdream lot - the one with the maze in the back garden.  After I took the original stairs out, (the roof was off at this time)  I was unable to place any floor tiles in the gap left in the floor.  With moveobjects on I could put objects anywhere on the gap, but not tiles!  I ended up not bothering to use the house!

On the other hand, the European town house has modular stairs that only have three spaces, but I've replaced the existing stairs with different modular stairs with no problems.  I think I had to delete the tile over the fourth space, but was able to put if back afterwards.

But I've still found that sims won't follow others up them unless they are well known to them - maybe it varies from sim to sim?

Zephyr Zodiac
agcons
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 15, 23:27:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know about the cheat for enabling the rest of the build mode tools in dorms; that will come in handy. 

I've had dorm stairs become corrupted once before, and it was every staircase in the dorm except the modular stairs leading into the dorm itself.  All other staircases were the single-unit kind, and the second flight was outside the dorm.  Nevertheless, they were all unusable in one direction only:  sims could go up them, but not down.  I've no idea what caused it; I had used the dorm before and was trying to move a new batch of sims in, and I've re-used dorms many times without this problem.  There was nothing blocking the base of any of the stairs.  I moved my sims out, bulldozed the dorm, and replaced it with an identical one from the bin.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 15, 23:42:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like we had the same thing happen to the same dorm; I ended up using the dorm building cheat to delete the stairs and replace them, and then everything was fine after that.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 February 16, 00:26:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes you may have to save your lot, exit and reload to get the cheat to work.

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 February 16, 01:02:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Block stars can be slotted into any house with 3 or more empty spaces on the second floor. Modular stairs always require 4, and will furthermore refuse to place if the 5th square is not empty, UNLESS you turn move_objects on when placing them to silence the whining.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 February 16, 01:43:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes you also have to remove a wall or a balustrade.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: