More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 17:29:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Random desktop crashes
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Random desktop crashes  (Read 20716 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Random desktop crashes
« Reply #25 on: 2006 January 22, 17:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, funnily enough, my game crashed for the first time for ages just an hour or so ago, and it happened in build mode in Veronaville as I was attempting to remodel a house - the one next door to the Summerdream lot, with the maze in the garden.  And when I checked my logs, I had two of these exception files, one a notepad one which could be read, the other an MDMP file (whatever that is).  I'm pasting the first part of the log in case anyone can explain what this Access Violation is!

Exception time: 01/22/2006, at 15:51:26.
Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
Current thread ID: 2968 (0x00000b98).
Version information:
Application/module path: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSBin\Sims2EP2.exe
Application/module version name: The Sims 2 Nightlife
Application/module version: 1.2.0.337
System version: Windows NT 5.1
System memory: 1024 Megabytes total, 272 Megabytes free.
Application/module configuration: ReleaseSRT

Extra Exception Data:

Shutdown: 0
HostName: BLUE
MemoryUsage: 455904K
Neighborhood Name: Veronaville
Neighborhood Prefix: N003
Lot Name: 95 Bard Boulevard
Extra Exception Data End:

All I was doing at the time was removing some of the flowerbed edgings!

And I agree with Angelyne, making the groups.cache file read only would not be advisable. 

Zephyr Zodiac
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 January 22, 18:05:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well what do you know.  This is the EXACT same error as me.  Either this is a very generic error message or...I am not sure about the or part lol.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 January 22, 18:23:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can only think that my crash was due to something being faulty with the lot - I've had similar crashes when trying to delete a mini-fridge in a dorm in the past.  I think some Maxis lots are definitely buggy, and nothing you can do will actually save them!

I just wanted to make a manageable house for the Summerdreams!  I can't cope with that totally ridiculous lot they live in now!  It's enough to give me a migraine!

Zephyr Zodiac
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 January 22, 18:40:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found that deleting the Groups.cache helps with astronomical closing times after you close the game.  It's amazing, and it doesn't affect the game other than that at all!
« Last Edit: 2006 January 23, 03:22:23 by Lil Brudder » Logged
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 January 22, 18:49:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everyone is entitled to play the game as it suits them!  I don't think that criticising other peoples' playing style is helpful to anyone.

Zephyr Zodiac
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 January 22, 19:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to think I had a problem, but you have an idiotic sad problem.

If this makes you feel better about yourself, then good for you!

Zephyr, I did a quick search and 0xC0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION is a very very very generic error.  It's present in every application and game that is based on Microsoft.  So no help there.

So far my crashes have happened on a Maxis community lot (no custom content there), on my own lot, building a house in a different lot.  So I am not sure if it's lot related.  Interesting enough the problem on my lot re-occured constantly until I deleted the cache file.  I think it occured when the portal was activated, I'm not sure.  The error on the community lot occured when I tried to use the photo booth and lastly the error building a lot occured when I used the dropper icon (but it wasn't the first time in that session)/
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 January 22, 19:33:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm wondering if my problem was I just continued using the wall tool to delete the border.

But I think it may be more to do with memory - in that I'd deleted a heck of a lot of walls etc. in a short time, and I was probably expecting too much and the game just couldn't handle it!  It seems to find it easier to remember what you build more easily than hat you "unbuild"!

Zephyr Zodiac
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 January 22, 22:04:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

6 GB?!?  10000 files?!?!?

What do you people find so great about custom hair and clothes?  I get by using the game's stuff!

I have 270 files and 50.2 MB of stuff, most of which are hacks.

You are a judgemental little sort, aren't you? First that nonsense about macs a couple of weeks back, and then snotting off about other people having custom content... do you actually have any idea what you're talking about?  Wink

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 January 23, 03:12:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

6 GB?!?  10000 files?!?!?

What do you people find so great about custom hair and clothes?  I get by using the game's stuff!

I have 270 files and 50.2 MB of stuff, most of which are hacks.

You are a judgemental little sort, aren't you? First that nonsense about macs a couple of weeks back, and then snotting off about other people having custom content... do you actually have any idea what you're talking about?  Wink

I think he just likes being rude!

Zephyr Zodiac
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 January 23, 10:07:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think he just likes being rude!

Quite possibly. I have a feeling that it is at that age where being rude to other people, especially us 'old folks,' is cool. Sorry, kid, it just makes you look like a wanker.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 January 23, 14:18:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<holds a sign up that reads " Don't feed the trolls">
Jorenne
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 January 23, 15:34:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, calm down, deep breaths, I'm not shaking, honestly, my typing is always this bad....

I have deleted some stuff.  Actually deleted, gone, poof, no longer there.

My download folder now sits at a paltry 1.6GB.

I feel ill, this isn't normal, nor is it natural........
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 January 23, 15:41:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't type bad, I see no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 January 23, 17:13:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Woot...way to go!!

Cheesy
bluecatvon
Feckless Fool

I'm so handsome

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 January 24, 18:33:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

wow! good for you! i can't bear deleting any custom contents..yet. Cheesy

oh and i got lots of the ACCESS VIOLATION type logs. maybe it's a conspiracy...

Our Creator was bored. Our Creator made humans. Our Creator loves Sims 2!
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 January 24, 20:24:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if I found a solution but ...

Last night I was getting those annoying crashes to the desktop.  I noticed that the crashes seem to occur when I was zooming around the lot.  I started to suspect that the problem was caused by the neighbour view option.  I turned it off and immediately performances improved and I didn't get another crash.  So we will see if this keeps up.

I find TS2 is really buggy for me, where it wasn't before.  After I reloaded the game, one of my sims gave birth.  I never got the prompt for a name.  She put the baby on the ground and it was unselectable.  It was still named baby boy.  Controls were locked out.  I restored control with Pescado's lot debugger but still couldn't interact with the baby.  I had to exit without saving.

Also I am getting the jump bug for the first time ever.  Sometimes I direct my sims to interact and they jump away from each other, and the action drops out of the queue. 

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 January 24, 22:02:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the fubared baby was fixed in one of Pescado's Hacks.

The jump bug could be caused by overly too many memories, or by a corrupt memory.  Do you see any jagged line-speak bubbles?  If so, you probably have to destroy some memories that are corrupt.

Isn't it always the way?  One bad memory ruins it for everyone else.
sabra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 January 24, 22:17:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This game is incredibly buggy for me, too.  I never had these kinds of problems with Sims 1, at least when I wasn't idiotically deleting cmx files and the like. Grin

Angelyne, I wish I could advise you but as you've probably surmised by now that would be useless.  But I'm sorry you're having such problems.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 January 24, 22:58:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't really expecting advice.  Although if someone can wave a magic wand and make it all better, I wouldn't say no Smiley.  I just wanted to whine a bit about the bugginess of it all.  It used to be so stable for me pre-nighlife.

Oh and no jagged memory, that I have see. 
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 February 03, 06:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just don't get it, not only has my game been crashing non stop and generating tons of these error files (duplicate in tsaudio... 1M worth of blah blah in notepad) but I'm not even entering cheats.

I tried the old 'folder to desktop to generate new one' trick and it crashed again trying to load the first house in a default neighbourhood (completely bare newly generated game folder).

I just installed Uni a week or so ago and haven't even been able to play because it keeps crashing.

I seem to think this has only been happening since I installed the patch, which was a day or two after installing Uni... aargh.
Guess that means reinstallation after all Sad

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 February 05, 08:34:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The first time a lot of people installed Uni they had problems, I know I did, mainly with everything just freezing when I tried to enter lots etc. but I also had problems getting any of the new college things to work - just got something which read "spawn blah blah (can't remember what) and then occasionally the sim would go to class or do an assignment etc.  I had to remove all my downloads and replace them a few at a time.  The odd thing was the game was fine in neighbourhood view!

Zephyr Zodiac
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 February 05, 08:40:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I'll just skip the patch when I reinstall it, I only want to play for a week or two before adding Nightlife, so it should be ok unpatched til then (it was fine til I patched it)

I will add my stuff back slowly though... heh heh

(so... much.... stuff)

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 February 05, 09:21:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game has just gone kaput - kept getting stuck at the load screen (after the cine plays) and crashes back to desktop.  Funny thing was I was playing it about an hour earlier with no problems - no new downloads, no spawning of kids etc.  I switched it off as stupid Helen Goth toddler was showing up in a suit and I wanted to make sure she really was a girl and not a boy in disguise - yes it has happened before. I checked simpe, she was a girl, I went and had dinner.  I came back and pfft nothing. I have uninstalled it and will re-install when i get the energy.  moan, whinge, gripe! Cry
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 February 05, 09:31:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you check out your PC stats?  Maybe something else was trying to do something at the same time - like your anti-virus maybe was trying to download and install an update?  I used to have real problems with McAfee doing this until I upgraded to the new version.

Zephyr Zodiac
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 February 05, 10:21:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No it wasn't that - I checked and nothing else was running.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  The only odd thing I did notice was my groups.cache - it showed the date modified as 2004 but I had deleted it earlier on today.

On the plus side, I can play a little recklessly (no china rules) knowing that with OFB coming out in 3 weeks I'll end up re-installing anyway
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: