More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 07, 11:41:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6517 Members
Latest Member: zebez
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Maxis wants pregnant sims to waste away?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxis wants pregnant sims to waste away?  (Read 43457 times)
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
Re: Maxis wants pregnant sims to waste away?
« Reply #100 on: 2006 January 18, 03:31:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Practical field experience tells me that when people insist on being whiny babies, the best way to deal with is to berate and insult them until they become enraged. It redirects their attention away from their snivelling and puts them in a more useful, motivated state of mind. Rage is more useful than despair. Depression is just anger without enthusiasm.

Most of my friends are into martial arts and the ones who don't use their fists are armed.  Possibly to the teeth.

I agree with you to a certain degree (insofar that rage is more useful than despair) but I don't see the benefit in forcing someone from sadness to anger.  Most people make the transition on their own and then you get the fire to move on.  Just because you can whip them into a frenzy now doesn't mean they won't cry themselves to sleep in a few hours and then they'll be, like, enthusiastically depressed and they start listening to really awful rap metal and crying at soap commercials.

On the original subject, I killed a pregnant sim for a story last night and it took hours for her to die (which made it even harder to do).  I don't understand why accidental pregnancy deaths are so prevalent when the same pregnant sim resists pre-meditated means.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2006 January 18, 03:36:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Practical field experience tells me that when people insist on being whiny babies, the best way to deal with is to berate and insult them until they become enraged. It redirects their attention away from their snivelling and puts them in a more useful, motivated state of mind. Rage is more useful than despair. Depression is just anger without enthusiasm.

LOL.  Yeah, Arnold in Terminator 3:

"Anguh is more usefool than despayuh"

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2006 January 18, 03:37:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with you to a certain degree (insofar that rage is more useful than despair) but I don't see the benefit in forcing someone from sadness to anger.  Most people make the transition on their own and then you get the fire to move on.  Just because you can whip them into a frenzy now doesn't mean they won't cry themselves to sleep in a few hours and then they'll be, like, enthusiastically depressed and they start listening to really awful rap metal and crying at soap commercials.
Maybe not, but at least they won't be doing it in front of me.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2006 January 18, 04:14:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really should see that one sometime.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2006 January 18, 04:26:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, like you haven't!   Tongue

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: 2006 January 18, 08:17:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM, about women who've lost babies--motherhood is a very bizarre thing.  Most of us have high nurturing instincts and from the time we know that little clump of cells is there, we want to do everything we can to protect it and have a healthy child.  Unfortunately, as you say, sometimes nature doesn't work out right and things don't turn out as we hope.  But also as said, sometimes it's a problem with the mother herself, and not the baby.  As a mom who carried 5 children to term and had two of them stillborn, let me just say it isn't an easy thing to go through.  Now, couple the loss of a child with the hormones that start running rampant right after birth and let me tell you, it is utter emotional chaos.

I think most people who haven't experienced the loss of a child at whatever stage wouldn't understand and honestly I hope they never have the opportunity to understand it. Smiley

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2006 January 21, 16:56:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just because you can whip them into a frenzy now doesn't mean they won't cry themselves to sleep in a few hours and then they'll be, like, enthusiastically depressed and they start listening to really awful rap metal and crying at soap commercials.

Finally. Someone else who knows the awful truth about soap commercials. Damn soap . . . I've never considered metal rap particularly depressin, though. Linkin Park, for example, is more funny than depressing.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2006 January 21, 23:44:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Forget metal rap, if you are depressed and want to milk it for a bit, Scottish or Irish music is the way to go. Half of the songs are about people loosing their love or their life or both.

Chorus (after each verse):
Cold the wind on the moors blow
Warm the enemy's fire glows
Black the harvest of Culloden
Pain and fear and death grow

'Twas love of our prince drove us on to Drumossie
But in scarcely the time that it takes me to tell
The flower of our country lay scorched by an army
As ruthless and red as the embers of hell

Now mothers and children are left to their weeping
With only the memory of father and son
Turned out of their homes to make shelter for strangers
The blackest of hours on this land has begun
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2006 January 22, 04:07:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plus anything by Sinead O'Connor! 

Zephyr Zodiac
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2006 January 26, 19:48:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, I think the key to being an outsider in any loss situation is to let the person most closely affected deal with it the way they feel they should, as long as they are not acting in unhealthy or dangerous ways.  Grief is irrational and nonsensical and it doesn't help anyone when you try to force it to be. 
  I somewhat agree with you JM but if a person is prone to be whiny-- then they are also sensitive and a good berating will not be affective in that case.  Tact might be in order.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2006 January 27, 16:41:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh. It's not as good as the other two. Personally 2 is my favorite. (Not that the end sequence no-flesh Terminator isn't AWESOME, but there aren't any of those romance type scenes and having a killer robot that has to do whatever some kid tells it to is funny.) 3 just tends toward sillyness. Like, they never explain why massively powerful electromagnets cause the evil robot to stick to it but don't totally fry her systems. And the older version of Connor is an idiot. (On the other hands, the "good" terminator apparently has "knowledge of human psychology," and this entirely revolves around hitting them to make them stop being idiots.)

They really are your kind of movies, though. Massive explosions, killer robots, incomprehensible European accents . . . Hey, d'ya think Boris is maybe some kind of alternate universe Terminator where the Skynet has an inexplicable fixation on Russian accents rather than Austria ones?

EDIT: Tact? Feh. Tact is for silly people who seem to think it's a good thing to not say what they mean.
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: 2006 January 27, 18:26:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anger can be used very constructively.  I've cleaned my whole house on a fit of rage.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2006 January 27, 21:32:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anger can be used very constructively.  I've cleaned my whole house on a fit of rage.

Musie!  Cheesy  My hubby will pick a fight to get me to clean because when I'm in a furious state I clean, clean, clean.  He can tell just how mad I am getting by how deep the cleaning goes.  "getting out a toothpick to clean the grit out of the shower drain?"  Watch out!

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: 2006 January 27, 22:20:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, and they say cleaning is not excercise.  Pfft!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: