More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 15:49:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Squiggly Lines of Doom!!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Squiggly Lines of Doom!!  (Read 56276 times)
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
Squiggly Lines of Doom!!
« on: 2006 January 13, 04:38:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Impending FBVFOS.  Cry
I recall vague references to this little thought bubble and what it means for the future of my 'hood. Anyone able to give a full explanation and ..ahem.. HELP!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Squiggly Lines of Doom!!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 13, 05:20:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you need to check in SimPE for (a) unlinked duplicate sims, and (b) for memories of "unknown" sims apart from the great Unknown that the unwed CAS sims all did woohoo with! and (c) A+ spam that got into the game before you added the noA+spam hack and (d) invisible memories that don't have the required icon.

In fact, you need to clean up your neighbourhood, pronto!

Zephyr Zodiac
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 13, 05:25:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll start searching.

It's a new hood - about 4 sim weeks old - that wasn't played a day without MATY fixes (critical and otherwise) so to see this shocked me.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 13, 05:27:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll bet!  Maybe it's just one or two memories that are corrupted.  But whoever he is with the thought bubble would be the first one whose memories I'd check!

Zephyr Zodiac
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 13, 05:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I appreciate the help there, ZZ. I wouldn't have known what to look for otherwise as I thought the lines had only to do with deaths.

I found 1 owned by unknown memory and 1 invisible with nothing attached to it on that particular sim and am weeding through to clean out the rest of the neighborhood.

FBVFOS may have been deflected. Wink

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 13, 05:51:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope so!  After only 4 weeks it would certainly be a shame!

Zephyr Zodiac
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 13, 05:56:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've started getting those as well and my hood is only 1 week old. Very odd considering I have JM's fixes.

Instant gratification takes too long.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 13, 06:00:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far I haven't noticed them, even in this old hood I've resurreected and was very nearly fubared until I cleaned it up, but I'd be inclined to check the memories of any sims who get the squiggly lines!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 13, 06:05:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So when you see those squiggly lines, it means your neighborhood is heading toward a BFBVFS? I've had those squiggly lines now and then for months; not often, but I've had them now and then....

The things I learn. Squiggly terrain paint...

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 13, 06:07:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if just occasional squiggly lines would be a sign of impending disaster, and if you clear it up straight away by finding the corrupt memory (hard if it's a food one, though) it shouldn't present a mammoth task!

Zephyr Zodiac
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 13, 08:21:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that the squiggly lines are linked to a corrupt death.  I remember JM and Twojeff brought out critical fixes for this: the NoCorruptDeath is part of the MoreAwesomeThanYou package and is alsol available seperately in the Hack Directory. 

happy now :-)
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 13, 09:21:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The squiggly lines mean that the subject of the memory couldn't be found.  The corrupt death memory showed these symptoms because sims would get a duplicate invisible memory of the death that had no subject, so the game would display the squiggly lines.  In other situations, the squiggly lines can usually be linked to corrupted memories, which for mysterious reasons do not have a proper subject.  The solution is to track down the memory and either replace it with a valid subject or just delete the offending memory.  The problem creeps in when your sim starts spreading the corrupted memory via gossip and chatting with friends, and they then get a copy of the corrupted memory.  I think that this doesn't mean a BFBVS is imminent, but it could be a sign of a problem in your neighborhood.  It could mean there are invalid sims as ZZ pointed out above, which will definitely lead to a BFBVS sooner or later.
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 13, 10:04:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember before I got NoCorruptDeath, every time someone died, they used to get a second memory after the first one. This second one was the corrupted one with no subject.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 13, 10:16:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And some ghosts think they've died twice!

As to corrupt memories, why do some sims display a "Pregnancy modifier" token?  Should these also be removed?  I mean, it's often townies, and NPCs who have it, often too they're male, so it seems illogical that they should have it!
And why do some townies etc. have a complete pre-load list of memores, while others are simply initialised?  And why have some "been to college"?  I can understand it with NPCs once they have worked there, but the Strangetown Bella Goth also has this wierd "Been to College" memory!  And some have this memory even if you haven't actually loaded a college campus!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 13, 10:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado explains the pregnancy modifier token in the "Myths, Urban Legends, And Apocrypha Of TS2 Explored And Exploded" thread here.  It affects sims' chances of having twins.

There is a pregnancy modifier token that does affect twin chances, but it is not a factor that you can influence: Food does NOT affect the pregnancy modifier token, it simply appears on your sim for unknown reasons, possibly randomly, or in connection with being a twin. In any case, it is not an effect that you can influence through any specific known action.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 13, 10:38:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see, so a male sim can actually cause the mother of his child to have twins?  Now that's something extremely odd, don't you think?  I mean, how does the father influence either the splitting of the embryo (which since twins in the game aren't identical, doesn't happen) or the mother producing two ova in one month?

It's about time Maxis programmers learnt a little basic biology!

Zephyr Zodiac
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 13, 13:12:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see, so a male sim can actually cause the mother of his child to have twins?  Now that's something extremely odd, don't you think?  I mean, how does the father influence either the splitting of the embryo (which since twins in the game aren't identical, doesn't happen) or the mother producing two ova in one month?

When I was first pregnant, way back in 1977, my ex and I applied for twin insurance due to the fact that he was a twin and twins also ran in my family (my great-grandmother had 5 sets out of 13 births, my grandmother being one half of a set - she had twins herself, one of whom was my father).  We had to get a certificate from the doctor and we were described as moderate-high risk (or something like that, hard to remember that far back, but I know the premium was high).  When we discussed it with the doctor, we were told that the latest research indicated that the father could influence this if he had a history of twins in his family.  Whether that has been refuted since I don't know, but certainly at the time it was valid.  I always thought that the only way the father could influence it was if he passed the gene on to his daughters, but according to what we were told, there is more to it than that.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 January 13, 13:20:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Twin Insurance"? That sounds ridiculous. Were you trying to get them, or not get them, and why would you buy this "insurance"? It seems like there are better ways of not-getting-twins than to buy some kind of hokey insurance, which is undoubtedly a waste of money.

Also, did you know that your kneecaps are particularly susceptible to breakage, and that for the low, low price of $99.95 a month, we can sell you kneecap insurance?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 January 13, 14:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ancient, I suppose there is a chance with identical twins of the father being able to influence whethr or not the embryo splits, but the sims don't have identical twins, (at least, not without help from us!) and I just can't see how a father can influence the number of ova which the mother has that month!

And JM, you take out twin insurance to cover the extra costs involved in having twins, so I imagine you are actually making a bet with the insurers that you will have them, while they are betting that you won't, then, if you win your bet, you get paid out - and that's all any kind of insurance is, really, isn't it - a bet!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 January 13, 14:17:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, did you know that your kneecaps are particularly susceptible to breakage, and that for the low, low price of $99.95 a month, we can sell you kneecap insurance?

Cheesy Cheesy 
C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 January 13, 14:21:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Y'know, my kneecaps have been sounding rather creaky lately... Tongue

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 January 13, 15:49:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the case of my squiggly lines, I believe it was a memory that was owned by an "unknown". Where this memory came from is a mystery to me. The sim pictured above is the only one in the whole hood that had this memory. I could not find any dupes in the hood. There has been only 1 death ( that of the founder). I have nocorruptdeath installed and have had it since before the creation of this hood.

Random wonk ala Maxis I suppose.

I'm sure I was being overly paranoid about it blowing up my game but I know those particular lines have been related to implosions in the past and wanted to get rid of it before it spread.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 January 13, 16:00:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it was one of those insidious bus and car pool drivers!

Zephyr Zodiac
simposiast
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 January 13, 16:18:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can squiggly lines disappear?  I did have them at one stage, and had corrupt deaths, but I waited for Nightlife and since then they've all gone away and deaths are back to normal. 

I've got 624 character files, but only three from CAS, the rest came by themselves.  I don't want them all to blow up!

I can think of one way the father could influence chance of twins. I read somewhere twin conceptions may be relatively high, but one of the pair terminates in the first week or so, so nobody notices.  Maybe twin-gene fathers help produce extra-sturdy or twin-friendly embryos, so more pairs of twins survive to be counted.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 January 13, 16:25:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, NL does seem to correct some missing memories - for example, I've noticed a lot of long-term couples are suddenly "having very first woohoo with.."  (Special Event camera etc) and they gain a second woohoo memory which relates to the one (often with CAS sims) which they came into the game with , but maybe twenty sim days later!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: