More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 06, 18:40:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6517 Members
Latest Member: zebez
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  "In Use" bug
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: "In Use" bug  (Read 14013 times)
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
"In Use" bug
« on: 2005 August 03, 22:26:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most Awesome One:

Is there anything that can be done about the "object in use" when it's clearly not bug?  I get it with chairs and sofas.  No one will sit in a chair or on a sofa and when I go to move it or delete it I'm told that it cannot be deleted because object is in use.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with a particular piece of furniture, but it does occur a lot in some houses while not at all in others.   I've got one Greek House where I had to delete and replace one of the chairs at a desk every bloody day.

Humble Thanks,
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
Re: "In Use" bug
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 03, 22:28:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried the Lot Debugger?
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 03, 22:30:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not for that.  Is it one of the things it does?
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 03, 22:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure, but does the "nuke kicky bag" do something like that? Or is it only for kicky bags? I had the stuck chair problem when I used the teleport function on a sim who was at the computer. Almost guarantees an "in use" chair.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 03, 22:50:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing I've found you can do is exactly the same as in sims1, use Move_objects on to sell the affected items and then replace them.  I'm sure there's a better way, but so far I haven't found it!

Zephyr Zodiac
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 03, 22:50:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use debug mode (boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true typed into cheat box) to force an error (right click on faulty object, then left click on Reset).  The chair or whatever will then be usable again.  I have to do this all the time, mainly my own fault because I am forever teleporting Sims all over the place because I can't be bothered to wait for them to walk and if they're teleported while sitting down the chair immediately needs resetting.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 03, 22:51:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And for couches make sure you click on the specific tile that is stuck.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 03, 23:13:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just think my way is quicker!  I have to look up the boolprop cheats every time!

Oh, and I don't use teleporters, I'm careful if I'm going to zap a visitor or move someone with move_objects that they aren't either sitting, about to sit, or have just got up!  The only sims I generally move with move_objects are toddlers when I want them to get up without waking their parents, and funnily enough, the crib never seems to be affected!

Zephyr Zodiac
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 04, 00:19:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use teleporters as such, either.  I just click on the floor and hit "Teleport" and the Sim jumps there instantly - a nice little function of the (shhhhh) Inseminator.  Makes me lazy though, I've never bothered to actually get a Sim to learn to teleport via meditating or whatever it is they have to do.  As for the debug cheat, I have it in my StartUp folder so it's permanently on.  Am too used to it now to want to play without it.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 04, 00:24:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to avoid cheats except for specific reasons like placing things on the diagonal, and I don't do that very often.  I do occasionally Kaching though!

Zephyr Zodiac
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 04, 01:22:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use teleporters as such, either.  I just click on the floor and hit "Teleport" and the Sim jumps there instantly - a nice little function of the (shhhhh) Inseminator.  Makes me lazy though, I've never bothered to actually get a Sim to learn to teleport via meditating or whatever it is they have to do.  As for the debug cheat, I have it in my StartUp folder so it's permanently on.  Am too used to it now to want to play without it.

I use the "teleport ability with maxed logic", but I can't remember where I got that from. But since I'm very selective about downloads, it has to be from MTS2. I've had it for quite a while and never encountered any problems with it (unless I was careless and teleported a sim that was hell-bent on using a chair, couch etc).

I don't see it as a cheat, I just get so impatient with sims taking so long getting from point a to point b. And since this only works with maxed logic, I can tell myself that I'm not really cheating all that much :D

I'll dig around my downloads and see if I can find the creator.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 04, 01:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're so impatient that even queueable "run here" isn't fast enough for you?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 04, 01:58:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're so impatient that even queueable "run here" isn't fast enough for you?

Yes JM, even that is sometimes not fast enough for me :D. Not in the beginning when they still need to do a lot of things, such as skilling, socializing etc. Yes, I use the skillinator and macrotastics and the autosocializer, but I frequently forget to check the little clock. Then I have to rush them to the bathroom, flamingo and other areas to spead up the macrotastic, bathroom uses you etc. Besided, I like multi-storey (see that Ancient?) houses, and the stair buggery and silliness is easily circumvented with "teleport". Every time they get hissy fits or the command I gave drops out of qeue because some other sim is using the stairs at the time makes me want to reach out and slap someone.

Besides, I got into the habit before I found your fix that stopped "run there" from dropping out of qeue everytime.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 04, 05:43:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Makes me lazy though, I've never bothered to actually get a Sim to learn to teleport via meditating or whatever it is they have to do.
I have a couple of eleders who have done some SERIOUS meditating in the last few days but they still can't teleport. If I hadn't read about teleport I certainly would never have found out via game play!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 04, 05:46:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just think my way is quicker!  I have to look up the boolprop cheats every time!
You can assign an alias to each command in the userstartup.cheat. To turn on the testing cheats, I just type 't' and so on. 't-' turns it off again. I can't be bothered remembering all those commands either.

I copied my original startup cheats from mts2 maybe or somewhere similar and have been adding to it ever since. I can post the syntax later tonight if you're interested, ie syntax how to make the alias.

schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 04, 06:05:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a teleport option on my sims, I think it came with Insiminator. I use it a lot when a bunch of sims need to go down one flight of stairs (the kind only one freaking sim can go down at a time - peeeve!) at the same time. Or when it's just gonna take too long, yes, even if they run.

I hate hate HATE that damn "in use" bug!!! Especially when you use your influence points in Uni to tell someone to do your term paper, and then they get do the "I cant get to it!!" stomp because of a buggy chair.

That's another peeve, I think if you use those valuable points to influence someone to do something, and something gets in their way, they should just KEEP TRYING TIL THEY DIE. Especially dormies. They're like kleenex, use em and dispose em.  Grin

This three-peeve post brought to you by schmoopee, spaghetti-os, and the letter R.

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!
fff
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 04, 06:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They can teleport if they meditate long enough??!!?!  Shocked

That explains why I have never seen this - my Sims never EVER meditate. Tried it once, was rather like watching paint dry. I'm too impatient for that kind of stuff.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 04, 11:08:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can assign an alias to each command in the userstartup.cheat. To turn on the testing cheats, I just type 't' and so on. 't-' turns it off again. I can't be bothered remembering all those commands either.

I copied my original startup cheats from mts2 maybe or somewhere similar and have been adding to it ever since. I can post the syntax later tonight if you're interested, ie syntax how to make the alias.

Thanks, I'd be interested to know how to do that!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 04, 11:48:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Example of alias in userstartup.cheat:

#-------------------------------------------------------------
#     alias      real command   brief help      full help
#------------- -----------------------------------------------
alias m "moveObjects on" "Enables the ability to move normally unmovable objects" ""
alias m- "moveObjects off" "Disables the ability to move normally unmovable objects" ""

I did copy most of these from a thread somewhere, the poster offered it as free to use. I'll attach the whole file so you can take the bits you're interested in. The file lives in: C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config

You'll have to rename the file from userstartup.txt to userstartup.cheat, I had to change the name so I could attach the file.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 04, 14:21:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like you saw my file:

http://members.chello.nl/b.kroonspecker/userstartup.cheat

I learned the trick from MikeInside.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 04, 14:44:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, thank you whoever thought it up, and thank you Witch, for making it available!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 05, 01:26:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like you saw my file...
I don't remember getting it from MIikeInside & your file has three or four differences to mine. You have some stuff I don't & vice versa. Maybe the mts2 poster got yours and changed it a bit? Maybe we should concatenate?  Tongue

Edit: Just had a look at both, my guess is that the poster I got it off just didn't acknowledge your input Jordi, the order of commands is the same but the spelling error in 'quiter' vs 'quieter' TVs is fixed in the version I downloaded.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: