More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 04:41:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Ye Olde Simmes 2 Archives: Dead Creators
| |-+  Ye Olde Crammyboye Archives (Moderator: crammyboy)
| | |-+  WARNING: Cloned bookcases and portal deletion.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: WARNING: Cloned bookcases and portal deletion.  (Read 30860 times)
crammyboy

View Profile
WARNING: Cloned bookcases and portal deletion.
« on: 2005 December 16, 19:34:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Portal deletion was fixed in the nightlife patch but any bookcase that was cloned before the Nightlife patch could potentially have this error. Most of them will not, but it does no harm to check.

How to check:
   Open the suspect package file with Simpe and look for a BHAV called "Read - Loop Reading".

If you can not find this BHAV then there is no problem because the problem is fixed in the semi-globals.  This problem will only exists if the semi-global group was imported and the code was not repaired.

You should report your findings to the creator who should then update their code.

This is related to the problem http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=83684
« Last Edit: 2006 January 17, 01:58:32 by crammyboy » Logged
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Re: WARNING: Cloned bookcases and portal deletion.
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 16, 20:04:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm lost.  What's all this about?   What sort of portal does this delete?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
crammyboy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 16, 20:35:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any portals. The problem is pre-patch and most cloned bookcases would not be affected,  only those with imported semi-globals.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 16, 20:40:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think this is probably relevant to one of my hacks, but I still need to know more about it.  Is this being discussed somewhere I can read up about it?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
crammyboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 16, 22:23:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't seen anything in your downloads that would have this problem. The link in the first post is to the original fix on MTS2 which, being pre-patch, is not on MATY.

If you want to post a link to something you think is a problem, I could check it for you.

Edit: Your readingskills packages have the problem.  I have attached the original portal fix for you to use in your code, although you should probably update the nightlife version with the new nightlife code.

[404'ed!]
« Last Edit: 2005 December 16, 22:40:01 by crammyboy » Logged
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 17, 08:22:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's damned weird that reading can delete portals!  Oh well...  Thanks Cheesy

Edit:  I have just read the thread in your link - even Maxoid Tom was a bit flabberghasted wasn't he!  You were very clever to track that down!
« Last Edit: 2005 December 17, 08:29:47 by Inge » Logged

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 19, 08:36:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

stupid question number 2 - I assume recolours of maxis items are OK whatever the age.  am I right this time?

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
crammyboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 19, 10:03:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Re-colours are fine.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 09, 15:11:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Inge's bookcase installed, but I also had Cboy's portal package already installed.  I have four children going to school -- one in private, three in public.  The private school child got on the bus fine.  Two of the public school children got on the bus.  One missed the bus.  I was able to tell her to go to the car and go to school, but neither parent was able to drive her there.  For the mom, it just dropped out of her queue constantly.  The dad was unable to select either vehicle.  Suddenly the other two public school students appeared in the house, ONE of them being told that they lost a grade by missing school.  This was at noon. 

I tried deleting the driveway to replace it, and was then unable to place a driveway at all.  The lot debugger doesn't give any good options.  I am assuming this is some sort of portal issue, but I'm not sure how or why.

I think this neighborhood is about to go 'splodie

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 09, 15:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you got any of my school stuff?  If you have, I just discovered today that they need Nightlife or they can cause problems that sound similar to this.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 09, 22:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I have any of the school stuff, but at any rate, I DO have nightlife, thus the driveways and cars  Wink

I ended up trying to build "my" house and decided to move my family into it.  Now I'm having a whole 'nother problem that I get the "too many iterations" over and over for each and every family member until they are deleted.  When I save and re-enter the lot, it just starts all over again.  Sigh.

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 14, 18:56:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ack! I just got this problem. I'm playing in the Uni hood (Nightlife is installed) and I have 3 students researching. I have the "portals have been deleted" message on my screen right now. Am I supposed to use the carpool fix found in the collections? I'm suddenly very confused. Damn bookcases.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 15, 03:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just exit without saving.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 16, 01:34:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did. I looked, and this bookcase isn't even a custom one. Weird.
crammyboy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 17, 02:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ack! I just got this problem. I'm playing in the Uni hood (Nightlife is installed) and I have 3 students researching. I have the "portals have been deleted" message on my screen right now. Am I supposed to use the carpool fix found in the collections? I'm suddenly very confused. Damn bookcases.

If you get this problem and can reproduce it while testingcheatsenabled=true switch directly to windows and copy the file \My documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs\OETreeDelete.xls to another file name (or zip it) and post it on this thread. There should be something in there that indicates where the problem originated.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 17, 07:39:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Brynne, some makers of custom beds include the code for reading in their beds, so it could have happened there.  Basically anyone who imports semiglobals into their clones.

richlenore
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 March 07, 17:28:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see this thread is old, but thought I'd ask anyway. I haven't checked my custom content since I installed NL when it came out, so forgot about CBoy's portals fixes. I've just installed OFB and the warning about custom content showed the files are in my game.  Shocked   I have taken them out now, but should I uninstall OFB and then reinstall? Would installing over CBoy's files cause any problems, or would they have been ignored?   Huh  Any help appreciated, thanks!
Nadira
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 March 08, 13:38:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is portal deletion still an issue?
crammyboy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 March 08, 17:53:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I know, all the portal problems should be fixed in OFB.  It doesn't hurt to leave the portal monitor in though.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 March 09, 15:43:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could you put the portal monitor up as a separate download here?  I'd like to refer people to it directly here.  I'm still finding people posting on other boards who have old portal problems in their games.  As far as I know the patch doesn't fix existing problems just prevents new ones.  The ID job your awesome monitor does is essential.  Also, as a pessimist, if Maxis wrote 2 bits of coding that deleted portals, I can't believe there won't be another!

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: