More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 07:49:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Last try before reinstalling from scratch
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Last try before reinstalling from scratch  (Read 6045 times)
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Last try before reinstalling from scratch
« on: 2005 December 10, 16:32:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My neighborhood is going to the dogs.
Every family I try to load I have problems with.
There are two outcomes when I click on a house:

1) The lot will not load further than the 4th square, then I have to turn the computer off because it will not respond to anything, neither alt-tab nor ctrl-alt-del

2) The lot will load but at either 10:16 or 1:01 the game will freeze.

I have taken out the entire download folder, same thing. I have replaced the objects.package and groups.package
I have created a new user and loaded up my neighborhood from there.

Here are is my config file. My apperror log is 907KB so I can't post it. You guys are my last hope before bulldozing my much-loved neighborhood.

INTJ
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: Last try before reinstalling from scratch
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 10, 17:21:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, my appError log is here: http://home.broadpark.no/~asci/

Just pretend that the first two lines are multiplied by about 1000.

INTJ
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 10, 17:23:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My neighborhood is going to the dogs.
Every family I try to load I have problems with.
There are two outcomes when I click on a house:

1) The lot will not load further than the 4th square, then I have to turn the computer off because it will not respond to anything, neither alt-tab nor ctrl-alt-del

2) The lot will load but at either 10:16 or 1:01 the game will freeze.

I have taken out the entire download folder, same thing. I have replaced the objects.package and groups.package
I have created a new user and loaded up my neighborhood from there.

Here are is my config file. My apperror log is 907KB so I can't post it. You guys are my last hope before bulldozing my much-loved neighborhood.

check your saved sims folder. it sounds like you have a corrupt saved sim. what I do is move it to my desk top and then restart the game and make sure that  the hood and lots are running ok  without crashing etc. I then make a new  folder on my desk and move all my saved sims to it and put the empty saved sim folder back where it belongs.
 after that I gradually put backi in a few saved sims at a time twsting by opening game and checking the game at critical points  until the problem saved sim appears and I remove it and delete that file the sim will still be ingame so I simply go to sim pe and make a clone  which puts an uncorrupted version in the folder. also check for conflicting hacks

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 10, 19:26:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. I will try that.
If you look at my errorlog the errors are mostly from TSAudio. I had 2000 lines of errors with the audio (I deleted all but two from the log or the file was too big).

Any clue as to what to do about that?

INTJ
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 10, 19:39:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know about the audio errors, but I took a look at my own error log, and I have a lot of those too.  I'll wait to see what those More Awesome Than Me say about them.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 10, 19:43:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks  Blue, it is nice to know that you have those errors too... Tongue

I won't be able to fix my game until tomorrow as move night for hubby and I is about to begin.

INTJ
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 10, 22:23:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have hundreds of those error logs too, and I've no idea what causes them but they don't actually seem to affect the game.

If your problem is not a saved sim, it could be problems with sims actually in game.  Occasionally I've had sims for no apparent reason become Unlinked, and you wuld need to open their file in SimPE to check if this is the case.  If so, you need to change the number back from 0001 to 0000.  Whether this will save your lot, I don't know, and the affected sim will lose all its relationships so you will need to edit those too, but it's worth just trying to see if the lot will load before going to that trouble for nothing.

Zephyr Zodiac
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 11, 09:09:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the problem is not a saved sim and unfortunately, not just one lot either.
It is every lot in my custom 'hood. If I play in one of the Maxis 'hoods everything is fine.
So I am going to uninstall everything and reinstall it again. I reinstalled in August but my custom 'hood had weird stuff happening from the start, so maybe it was one of those "bad" installs?

INTJ
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 11, 11:22:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posting mainly out of sympathy.  You're not alone.  Violetkitty had to abandon her favourite hood too with NL.  She has a forum on Sim Estates 2 and makes tutorial stories with her sims for beginners, so that was a big loss to the community as well as to her personally.  She could get into her hood and play for a bit, but then it froze.  Re-install didn't help.  I looked around for help at the time.  Here are a couple of things we tried for her that didn't work - you might get lucky....

she said taking out the college clock helped for a bit
taking out downloads also helped for a bit
she said at the time she suspected University contributed to her woes and it was a large 'hood. I was wondering if it might actually have been that the whole file was just too big in some way - a BFBVS  - here are the threads in case you haven't read them
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=158.0
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=45.0

If you re-install, I read it's better to have your custom hood and stuff in the game and safely backed up rather than safely out of the way on the desktop.  that way the install can do things to them as(or if?)  it is supposed to.  (that's here somewhere in an NL bug thread or patch thread)

try deleting groups.cache - it regenerates every time and that fixes some bugs.

I tried to find threads to link you to and couldn't find anything useful.  If you want to compare notes with violetkitty she's at  http://www.strategyplanet.com/thesims/simestates2/index.htm  I couldn't find a coherent thread about everything she tried...

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 11, 13:18:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you used SimPE to go through all your sims neighbourhood memory files and delete excess A+, Deans List, Family Reunion etc. that may have been there from before you installed the fixes.  There's quite a lot you can do to prune the memories, and each memory removed results in a slightly smaller file, so if you remove a lot of memories, you make a lot of files smaller.  Also, did you have the Nonpcspam fix in game before installing NL?  If not, you may have a ruck of baristas that you can remove, as you only need three.  Also, you can safely remove any townies, downtownies or dormies that have a blank relationships panel. 

Zephyr Zodiac
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 11, 21:55:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you guys for your kind suggestions. I did try deleting groups.cache and taking out all my custom content but to no avail.
The 'hood wasn't that big and  not that old and I had done a delete allcharacters when I started my 'hood. There were only 192 character files in it.

So, this morning I ditched the entire game, cleaned out the registry and all, and then reinstalled and created a new custom 'hood.
Hopefully this time it will go better.

INTJ
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 11, 22:29:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sad for you.. Sad.  It does sound like Violet Kitty's experience.  She'd also done all the obvious things and had a good clean out of the hood before she put in Nightlife.  I've had to abandon my 'hood as well - the sims lost all their memories for some reason.  It gave me a bad case of simpotence.  That's a fun thread if you find yourself hanging around the board instead of playing.  People decided to make a new shared 'hood as a result of that.  Maybe you'd like to make something for it or look out for it to download?

I know my registry needs a good cleanout too, but I'm not up for that.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 11, 23:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never had a custom (Maxis) hood that didn't end up with problems long before it should have done!  I tend to think there's a problem way down deep somewhere!

Zephyr Zodiac
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 12, 00:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

cwykes - I have tried to get into other people's sims but...I have to make them mine or I don't feel like playing them.
Boring, I know.

Well, here I am working nightshift again and since I am allowed to bring my pc I will be playing all night every night for a week. Sweet!  Wink

INTJ
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 12, 10:07:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah - that is sweet.  Well actually I'm having fun making a family and house for with a story set up ready to get up and bite you.  I won't actually get to play the 'hood as I don't have NL.  That's partly choice  and partly PC.  I suspect I'd have a good look around at what other people had done and then play my own sims in a clean hood!  Like you I have to start a new hood anyway as mine was wiped.  Why not this one rather than the maxis..

SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 14, 00:49:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I played the Maxis hoods in the beginning but the only pre-made families I played were the Curious and the Brokes and only until the "challenge" of getting them through their situation was over.

Then I went right back to my own sims.

INTJ
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: