More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:50:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Weird DCCache issues when installing Store/CC
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Weird DCCache issues when installing Store/CC  (Read 12585 times)
danielmyst
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Weird DCCache issues when installing Store/CC
« on: 2012 July 18, 08:44:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have about 2,790 CC/Store items I install into the Sims 3 so I use the handy Sims 3 Launcher. All this adds up to roughly 6.06GB total. I put all these .sims3pack files into the "downloads" folder in my root sims 3 folder in "documents" and install every single item through the launcher at once with success. I notice that the DCCache is only 2.02GB instead of the full 6.06GB size the DCBackup and Downloads folders are. I find it strange.

I then proceed to start the Sims 3 but notice that when I start up the game, THERE IS NO CC/STORE CONTENT AVAILABLE IN-GAME! I quit out of the game immediately to find the DCCache folder is empty! Same scenario each time after installing all of my content through the launcher like this.

What is causing this? I have AM installed while installing my CC through the launcher FYI.

My best guess is that the launcher can't install all these files in one go so it fills up the first DCCache file to its max (which is about 2GB?)

Monty
Asinine Airhead

I will make them love me.

View Profile WWW
Re: Weird DCCache issues when installing Store/CC
« Reply #1 on: 2012 July 18, 10:30:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's crapped. Search.
danielmyst
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 July 18, 18:03:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've made sure the arr'd content was decrapified using Pescado's method.

Would it work if I put all 2,800 items through the decrapper and then try to install everything through the launcher again? Not all items are arr'd like the CC from others sites that I've downloaded from.
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 July 18, 18:08:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did it ever occur to you that trying to install over 2,800 sim3packs at once might not be a good idea?
My best guess is that the launcher can't install all these files in one go so it fills up the first DCCache file to its max (which is about 2GB?)
So you give yourself an answer and before even trying it out you start a new useless thread? And people wonder why they can't find anything here.

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
danielmyst
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 July 18, 20:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did it ever occur to you that trying to install over 2,800 sim3packs at once might not be a good idea?
So you give yourself an answer and before even trying it out you start a new useless thread? And people wonder why they can't find anything here.

That's what I figured. Testing the limits of how many files the launcher can install at once is tedious  Tongue

I was just thowing it out there for experienced users who might know a ballpark estimate of how many files the launcher can handle at once  Huh
bitterquill
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 July 18, 20:54:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It depends on your computer's specs. Nobody here can tell you what your computer is capable of.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 July 19, 00:57:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just cut and pasted a screenfull to the downloads folder. Decrapped them and installed. Next time I tried 2 screensfull, waited to see if it choked then tried 3 screensfull, rinse repeat. It wasn't hard to figure out. (I ALWAYS keep a backup of an entire clean set of vanilla packs).

My old machine could do 3 screensfull, my new one gobbles the lot in one whizzy bite. (I had to try).

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 July 19, 14:40:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just cut and pasted a screenfull to the downloads folder. Decrapped them and installed. Next time I tried 2 screensfull, waited to see if it choked then tried 3 screensfull, rinse repeat. It wasn't hard to figure out. (I ALWAYS keep a backup of an entire clean set of vanilla packs).

My old machine could do 3 screensfull, my new one gobbles the lot in one whizzy bite. (I had to try).

Stop making me jealous! How much did you fork out for your godly system anyway?

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 July 19, 22:37:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

$NZ2K approx.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 July 20, 01:15:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't aware that many Sims3Packs even existed. Has the Store really gotten that huge?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2012 July 20, 03:38:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't aware that many Sims3Packs even existed. Has the Store really gotten that huge?

My directory of official sims3packs is 5.42Gb 636 files and that is almost everything I could get my hands on. So I guess the OP has a lot of CC installed via sims3pack. I learned a while back that trying to install even 636 files all at once will cause the launcher to miss a lot of content, requiring reinstall. So I did it in groups of 20, which the crap-launcher was able to manage.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2012 July 20, 05:41:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured out some time ago that the Launcher pulls the same bullshit that BodyShop used to in ye olde days and tries to load not only the DCCache content, but also everything in the Mods folder whenever you start it.  If you've got much content in your Mods folder, try temporarily renaming it to something else before you start the Launcher to try to install anything.  That's the only way I can get Sims3packs to install anymore.
« Last Edit: 2012 July 20, 17:08:22 by Ambular » Logged

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012 July 20, 06:40:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My directory of official sims3packs is 5.42Gb 636...

OK, I Keep a backup of all my vanilla sims3packs and I think(thought) I have(had) everything and I only have 515 items at 4.85 gigs. I know I may have missed backing up an item or two but still, as far as CC goes that is a big difference. Now my DCCache folder has 12 dbc files, ebc files are non store stuff, at 2.96 gigs. Hows yours? I only ask because I am crazy and MUST HAVE THEM ALL!!!! As far as installing goes though I've only had to re-install everything once or twice and I tried it the first time all at once, it missed a lot of stuff. After that I did one page at a time and all went well.

Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2012 July 20, 08:29:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My directory of official sims3packs is 5.42Gb 636...

OK, I Keep a backup of all my vanilla sims3packs and I think(thought) I have(had) everything and I only have 515 items at 4.85 gigs. I know I may have missed backing up an item or two but still, as far as CC goes that is a big difference. Now my DCCache folder has 12 dbc files, ebc files are non store stuff, at 2.96 gigs. Hows yours? I only ask because I am crazy and MUST HAVE THEM ALL!!!! As far as installing goes though I've only had to re-install everything once or twice and I tried it the first time all at once, it missed a lot of stuff. After that I did one page at a time and all went well.

DCCache is 2.94Gb, 12 items. I probably have a couple duplicated items in there, such as individual items from sets for bug fix reasons and while I usually attempt to avoid duplicate sets and only cleaned them out recently, there might be a couple duplicates from compilations, simpoint bundles or naming differences.. I'm pretty sure I have all the Dr Pepper stuff and all worlds are installed. So based on the size of our installed content, It seems we have pretty much the same, and the difference might be simply compression from running s3rc, or possibly you have more actual items than me, and if so, I MUST HAVE THEM!

I did just notice that my more recent backup on my server has 5.62Gb and 612 files. I'll do a compare later and see if I can work out why that is, and I'll post a directory listing so you can compare that against your own directory.

*edit*
Ok my server had some fixes in the folders and I had 2 custom lots in my local folder, so that explains the differences, however, allowing for the duplicates and extras I found, I have only managed to get it down to 582 files, so possibly some duplicates there still.

I have attached the current directory listing.

* Listing.txt (41.23 KB - downloaded 445 times.)
« Last Edit: 2012 July 20, 09:17:42 by Anach » Logged

virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012 July 20, 08:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I currently have everything store related installed with the exception of the new KP mystery bag sim items and the new Circust type thing set. I only have 7 .dbc files but my DCCache folder is 3,01 Gigs. My downloads folder (which has a BB duplicate in it) is 4,65 Gigs. My system can't unpack all the .sims3packs in one go so I usually unpack about 200-250 files at a time.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012 July 20, 08:54:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, good point, I may well be missing stuff. I'll have to wipe the smug smile off my face and install in a bitly fashion. There have been a couple of things I've looked for lately and not been able to find.

virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012 July 20, 09:21:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure if the downloads thread is as reliable as it used to be, tbh. I pointed out some missing content and people do re-upload stuff from broken links but there are items that simply aren't included in the big compilations on the first page or that don't get uploaded at all. The Renault items for example either wouldn't get posted in the thread or if they were, they wouldn't be added tot he compilations that would go on the thread's first page. The children's charity type thing items also got lost and had to be re-uploaded just as many of the T-Mobile items were missing. They probably still are. There was also a Late Night building that slipped through the cracks which nobody noticed and there was also a missing sign.

If you're missing items it's unlikely your machine is to blame.

Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2012 July 20, 09:22:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, good point, I may well be missing stuff. I'll have to wipe the smug smile off my face and install in a bitly fashion. There have been a couple of things I've looked for lately and not been able to find.

Even doing it with less files, who is to say there isn't some stuff still missing. Unless you use every item, it's not easy to tell. I only noticed it after a reinstall and happened to get the "objects have been replaced" type message on a couple random items. Took me a while to work out what it was, as the messages aren't particularly helpful.

virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012 July 20, 09:34:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even doing it with less files, who is to say there isn't some stuff still missing. Unless you use every item, it's not easy to tell. I only noticed it after a reinstall and happened to get the "objects have been replaced" type message on a couple random items. Took me a while to work out what it was, as the messages aren't particularly helpful.

I put everything in collections so it's easier for me to keep track of objects that go missing. This is more difficult with hair and clothing but I'm in CAS often enough to notice if something is missing.

Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2012 July 20, 10:18:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had hoped that someone would have replaced the launcher by now, with something easy to use, reliable for installing and uninstalling, has proper categories, and search.

virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012 July 20, 11:57:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had hoped that someone would have replaced the launcher by now, with something easy to use, reliable for installing and uninstalling, has proper categories, and search.

Yes, this is what I was hoping for too. I know some people took a shot at it but most of the projects were abandoned quickly or didn't develop into a proper launcher replacement. It's such a shame.

kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012 July 20, 14:11:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey Anach, any chance you can do that list without the dates and times? Makes it very hard to tell the differences. Already I can tell you have a handful of single items that come with sets, that's probably what the majority of the difference is. I don't have any single items unless there was no set. I know I'm missing a few items here and there from when I was too lazy to make a backup right away and then forgot. But since our DCCache files are just about the same size I'm not too worried.

Just caught that I didn't have the medieval mystery bag items installed, at least I knew those existed.

If anyone else wants to check what they've got just plop the .bat file into the same folder as your stuff and double click.

* KT_storestuff.txt (15.57 KB - downloaded 1010 times.)
* generator.zip (0.23 KB - downloaded 187 times.)
« Last Edit: 2012 July 20, 14:29:54 by kissing_toast » Logged

jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012 July 20, 20:51:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's the "missing item" thing from installing sims3packs that makes me think combined packages are superior.  I'd end up with missing items all the time when I used decrapped sims3packs, but combined packages always work correctly.  I only use s3packs for counters and sectionals.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
virgali
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012 July 20, 20:58:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's the "missing item" thing from installing sims3packs that makes me think combined packages are superior.  I'd end up with missing items all the time when I used decrapped sims3packs, but combined packages always work correctly.  I only use s3packs for counters and sectionals.

I never had any missing items by using the decrappify method. Neither do my objects uninstall themselves like some people experience.

Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2012 July 20, 21:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey Anach, any chance you can do that list without the dates and times?

Done.

I had a few things that simply wouldn't install from the main set, so for those I have individual items. However, most are simply that I've no idea what set they come from, so I've not removed them.

* file_list.txt (19.28 KB - downloaded 1973 times.)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: