More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 06:45:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Sims 3 on a 64 bit
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sims 3 on a 64 bit  (Read 25292 times)
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Sims 3 on a 64 bit
« on: 2011 August 21, 11:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had some problems installing Sims 3 and the expansions and stuff pack in the Program Files (x86). I was getting service initialization failure. Also I was getting the 'The sims 3 is corrupt and not installed properly' error when I tried to installed Ambitions. However, when I installed them in Program Files, installation was as normal as on the 32 bit and the game could run. Does it make a difference which Program files folder I install the game in?

Written
Sita
Titlights
Retarded Reprobate

I YAM what I YAM

View Profile WWW
Re: Sims 3 on a 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: 2011 August 21, 12:00:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On XP 64-bit, my Sims games work best in the Program Files (x86) folder. What system are you using?

Baron
Tyyppi
Horrible Halfwit

Even more arrows in knees!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 August 21, 12:38:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The location shouldn't really matter, unless Sims 3 is allergic to parentheses in directory names but I kind of doubt it. Probably just a coinkidink.

gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 August 21, 14:45:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried it on my xp 64 bit first, it had those problems. Then I tried it on my seven 64 bit, it had the same problems. Is it harmful to my computer if I installed the game into Program Files instead of Program Files (x86)?
« Last Edit: 2011 August 21, 15:05:52 by gilmar » Logged

Written
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 August 21, 15:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried it on my xp 64 bit first, it had those problems. Then I tried it on my seven 64 bit, it had the same problems. Is it harmful to my computer if I installed the game into Program Files instead of Program Files (x86)?
Program Files is for 64-bit programs, Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit programs (like The Sims 3). It's not going to harm your computer, but it's totally pointless to mix them up like that.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 August 21, 15:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would install in Program Files (x86). I tried a few times but errors arose and I was unable to proceed to ambitions without getting the sims 3 is corrupt or not properly installed error

Written
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 August 21, 15:58:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You probably have your UAC settings too strict.

Unless you mean this error, which is absolutely useless and means nothing:

Phthon
Blathering Buffoon

Death is but the next great adventure.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 August 21, 16:13:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I run Sims 3 with all EPs and SPs in my own folder named games. It is not in any of the program files folders. I am on Vista 64bit. I have had no problems with it at all.

I don't think it really matters.

I thought about being born again, but my mother refused.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 August 21, 16:14:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know whether this will help, but don't install to C:/Program Files (x86)/....  Install to C:/Games/... instead.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 August 22, 02:16:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I try to install ambitions after I have installed WA and High Loft, this error comes out.
"setup has detected that the sims 3 is corrupt or not properly installed , setup is unabled to contiue".
However, no problems arise when I installed them into Program Files

Written
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 August 22, 17:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can confirm that location should have no importance. My TS3 installation, with all EPs and no SPs in in D:\Electronic Arts, using windows 7 64bit. When I was using Win7 32bit, I had TS3 installed on another physical hard drive entirely, not just another partition (though this should make no difference as far as I'm aware, but then, what you're experiencing shouldn't happen either, so...) and it worked. Though vista wanted the last EP in program files for some reason, if I wanted to use CC. I triple checked and it was not a framework fail - I happily merged the newly created folder with the (backup) older one (this was before ambitions) when I reinstalled the EP in C and it automagically worked. I think that eliminates the possibility of Win7 being the cause , or the fact that you use the 64bit version of it, but I don't have an explanation of why this happens.

Besides that, which was probably TL;DR for some, I have this idea: have you tried patching manually (not during the amb installation, if that's you most recent EP), before installing? Because I do vaguely remember a new patch between Amb and LN, though I might very well be wrong, and I think that's when I switched from vista to 7, and I no longer had to install the latest EP (amb, then later LN, though I had amb only on Win7) in program files instead of wherever I pleased. Simprograms, however, seems to support the existence of such a patch, by not listing LN updates for 2/3 patches available for amb, specifically the first 2 here.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 August 23, 12:19:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far it is running okay, about the same as it runs on my 32 bit. I don't normally patch my game as problems arise from it because of my non-original software. I think there's a solution for this but I have not tried it. If I have Sims 3, WA and High Loft in program files, and then Ambitions and the rest of it in Program Files x86, the game runs. I tried installing it in D and in C:/Games but the same problem arose. However, if it is in Program Files on both XP & Win 7, the game runs fine.

Written
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2011 August 25, 08:10:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will add a +1 to installing to C:\Games\. I am on Win7 x64 Ultimate, with UAC on low [sometimes off].

ElectricSimmer
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011 August 25, 11:31:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Works fine for me. Wish I could say the same about The Sims 1 though, it crashes unless I add -nosound to the target line -.-
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011 August 25, 15:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Works fine for me. Wish I could say the same about The Sims 1 though, it crashes unless I add -nosound to the target line -.-

Yes, we get that from the thread you created about it.  This thread is about Sims 3.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Teofilatto
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011 August 25, 15:53:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm running the sims 3 on a 64-bit machine without problems. The game isn't installed on C:\ though, but on a different disk.
ElectricSimmer
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011 August 26, 07:31:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It didn't work on my friends laptop though, she had to run setup as an admin and install to a different directory.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011 September 17, 05:08:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it ok/safe to install the Sims 3 base, WA and High Loft in the Program Files, while the rest of it in Program Files x86?
My save takes about 1 to 1.5 hours even with less than 1 hour of play and I don't know if it's being caused by installation in Program Files.

Written
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011 September 17, 05:16:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it ok/safe to install the Sims 3 base, WA and High Loft in the Program Files, while the rest of it in Program Files x86?
My save takes about 1 to 1.5 hours even with less than 1 hour of play and I don't know if it's being caused by installation in Program Files.
Do not install any games to the Program Files directories.  Install to C:/Games.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011 September 17, 13:37:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ Jeebus
I tried to install in C:/Games. I get the error "setup has detected that the sims 3 is corrupt or not properly installed , setup is unabled to continue" when trying to install ambitions after installing the base game, WA and HL.
The game ran once when I installed the base game, WA and HL in program files, and ambitions in program files x86. Is this not advisable?
I have run out of ideas.
« Last Edit: 2011 September 17, 13:43:37 by gilmar » Logged

Written
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011 September 17, 22:49:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ Jeebus
I tried to install in C:/Games. I get the error "setup has detected that the sims 3 is corrupt or not properly installed , setup is unabled to continue" when trying to install ambitions after installing the base game, WA and HL.
The game ran once when I installed the base game, WA and HL in program files, and ambitions in program files x86. Is this not advisable?
I have run out of ideas.

It is possible to install in non-default locations, I install on a different drive set-up specifically for games, and many others use a games folder as has been recommended to you.  The fact you get those messages has nothing to do with installing to a non-default location, but a sign that you have fucked something up when installing.  You're not being totally stupid and installing the EP/SPs in the same folder as the base game and thus overwriting the original game files and causing the problem?

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011 September 17, 22:56:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any particular reason to install games in the game folder? Are there any advantages for this?

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011 September 17, 23:14:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any particular reason to install games in the game folder? Are there any advantages for this?

It keeps the install away from the program files folder and the annoying UAC (if it is on) and the other crap that goes with it when you try to modify anything in there.  Plenty of people install into the default location without problems, others seem to have issues, especially if UAC is active.

I would be more concerned about the OP splitting the install between two different locations than installing into the program files folder.  They also wouldn't be the first to use the same folder when installing an EP or SP and overwrite the original game files, because they are too stupid to work out that they go into their own folders.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2011 September 18, 00:07:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pick a directory, any directory, and install them ALL there. The Program Files directory is ONLY supposed to be for x64 programs, and the Program Files (x86) is for regular 32 bit programs like The Sims.

I suggest a reinstall.

gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011 September 18, 02:59:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pick a directory, any directory, and install them ALL there. The Program Files directory is ONLY supposed to be for x64 programs, and the Program Files (x86) is for regular 32 bit programs like The Sims.
I suggest a reinstall.

I'll try again. I'm on admin account. I would go ahead and install if not for the error.
Each EP & SP are installed into their own folders. WA and HL creates their own subfolder whereas I've to create for the others.
« Last Edit: 2011 September 18, 03:39:42 by gilmar » Logged

Written
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: