More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:16:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  who's playing this game?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: who's playing this game?  (Read 102754 times)
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
Re: who's playing this game?
« Reply #125 on: 2005 August 07, 23:18:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm...a strange topic...
Well I'm certainly a science guy. I'm a vet doing my PhD in the Pharmacology laboratory, dabbling with DNA and doing research on poor, hapless albino rats (although I know that deep down they're the ones experimenting on me!). Now, why I play the game? The answer is quite simple, actually: I like it! Of course, without the numerous mods provided by JM the game would go out the window along with the computer and the 17in CRT screen, but thanx to Pescado I still enjoy the game, don't own my lady a new computer, and don't endanger any passers-by!

Let the Beast inside you free!
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2005 August 08, 01:26:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Sims 2 as quintessentially is it almost like eugenics, the second generation is almost always "superior" to the first. As good as mechanical logic and perfection seems, I find my artistic calling turning more to house building and setting up grand schemes in which some Sims get lucky and others explode into fireballs that are visible from outer space.  Tongue
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: 2005 August 08, 01:43:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a mostly self-study programmer, have been since the days of rubber-key Spectrums.  Since leaving school a decade ago I haven't really managed to stick at anything for long except writing stories and of course, the odd bit of code here and there.  I'm not shy of an honest day's work but my resume is hardly anything to brag about.

Anyway, I play The Sims 2 (and The Sims before it) because watching virtual people going about their lives helps fill the boring bits in mine.  It's interesting to try and steer them on a successful course, and since there is no real end of game except of course Armageddon, you can keep on playing without getting stuck on level X which is something that happens in games where the plot has already been set in stone.  With this one, if there is going to be a story to it, you've got to supply it, and that's a fun thing to do.

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2005 August 08, 02:36:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I'm certainly a science guy. I'm a vet doing my PhD in the Pharmacology laboratory, dabbling with DNA and doing research on poor, hapless albino rats (although I know that deep down they're the ones experimenting on me!).

Ever read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy et al?  My favorite trilogy of five books!

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
Judecat
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2005 August 08, 06:45:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't know that I am either art or science --just plain old me. Retired (or at least out of work and not really looking)file clerk,  housewife/dog handler.  Was a medic in the army many many years ago,  til I found out that I ain't Florence Nightengaleil,  and I cannot stand sick people. Or crazy people,  or whiners.  or people in general.  (especially stupid people)   They got lables for folks like me -- but I just prefer the one that rhyms with witch.

Read science fiction, (but I don't really like the most of the hard science science fiction)( long time fan of Asimov I think the term Sci-Fi is heresy)   the old gothic romances (like Jane Eyre), fantacy,  historic novels (but not those god awful historic romances -- bleh) and anthing fact or fiction about the american civil war.
  Am addicted to my computer,  paintshop pro and Sims. and other computer games.   Wink Basically anything to avoid housework.   

I'm glad I stumbled on this site looking for a hack -- finally found where the grown ups play.

Jude

sasha
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2005 August 08, 07:08:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually this game keeps me sane.  I'm a business type, BA in HR yep I'm the bitch that gets you sucky insurance and fires ya! 
I have no clue why they would think business people would hate this you have to wanna and do manipulate someone parts of peoples lives in business isn't that what this game is total and utter control of something. I wish I could just click on someone and tell them what to do and the mindlessly go do it.  But I can't and for the ones that really make me feel like that I make a simmy of them and then I can do it whenever I want to.
I have a couple diffrent families with designed after my husband  Grin

sasha

Whoever said it is better to love than to never have loved at all never had the good fortune to the love the people I have loved!
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: 2005 August 08, 12:30:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh, the good old Speccy!! That was my first ever computer, when I was a lil' tacker.... the glory days of waiting five minutes for your game to load via cassette tape - that was, if it felt like loading, of course...

Oh, I found this page just today.  Hilarious Wink

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2005 August 08, 12:46:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh that page is rude, I was a commodore 64 user! Wink
(I only got rid of it about 5 years ago.)

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2005 August 09, 15:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's so much damn fine fiction out there it's sometimes hard to know where to start. Good to know there are a few SF nuts in the mix though.

I just read Danni's other posts and she doesn't sound like a crazy poster. Danni, if my "hunch" was wrong, and I have a "hunch" it was, now, I apologize. Your post just struck me out of the blue, with your being so cavalier about suicide. Either way, please get help. Go back to your doctor.

Please, do take the advice if if your post was for real.

Meh...
Larita
Asinine Airhead

Free Thinker

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2005 August 09, 16:18:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been a science fiction fan since the age of nine, after the fairies and the myths and legends, there didn't seem any other logical place to go!

Why...then you go back to fairies & myths & legends, of course!  Grin  Read any Piers Anthony lately?  Best author for tongue-in-cheek, satirical, double entendre I've read in decades.  Actually, I've been a fan for decades...and have trouble keeping up, he's such a prolific writer.  I can almost guarantee that when anyone (who even remotely enjoys SciFi/Fantasy) reads the first novel in his Xanth series, he/she will be hooked for the duration.  I lost count at seven...or was it eight?...novels, and the series is still going strong. 

I absorbed Robert Heinlein novels like a sponge until Number of the Beast.  Near the end of the book, he got altogether too wierd, or it was way beyond my intellectual capabilities at the time, and I lost interest. Undecided

I will read almost anything...except Danielle Steele, that is.  Entirely too scripted and predictable for my taste...sorta like pablum.  I much prefer a writer who assumes I made it past grade school.
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2005 August 09, 18:36:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Raymond E Feist, The Riftwar Saga
Terry Goodkin, Sword of Truth series,
Terry Pratchet, Discworld series and
Douglas Adams, Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy
are all my favorite books. The sword of truth is one of my new favorites, and I am eagerly awaiting the next book to hit the shelves in this forsaken outback of the world

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: 2005 August 09, 20:23:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ooooo Sword of Truth! My favorite books on earth!  If I had to throw away all my books with the exception of those, I wouldn't be too upset.

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2005 August 10, 02:31:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been a science fiction fan since the age of nine, after the fairies and the myths and legends, there didn't seem any other logical place to go!

Why...then you go back to fairies & myths & legends, of course!  Grin  Read any Piers Anthony lately?  Best author for tongue-in-cheek, satirical, double entendre I've read in decades.  Actually, I've been a fan for decades...and have trouble keeping up, he's such a prolific writer.  I can almost guarantee that when anyone (who even remotely enjoys SciFi/Fantasy) reads the first novel in his Xanth series, he/she will be hooked for the duration.  I lost count at seven...or was it eight?...novels, and the series is still going strong. 

I love Xanth! But I lost count in the mid-twenties. Last thing I read by him he claimed trilogies ought to be 33 instead of 3.
Although, personally, I think his best work was his Incarnations of Immortality series. That trilogy only had 7 books.
I am also a Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker) fan.
A few other favorites are: Anne McCaffrey, Laurell K, Hamilton, Jane Yolen (most of her stuff is YA at the oldest but still inciteful and well written), Robin McKinley, Tanith Lee, Isaac Asimov, Ayn Rand, Ray Bradbury, Dorothy Parker, Amy Tan, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, and Anne Rice. There are soooo many more. That is enough for now. My (tiny) living room in my (tiny) house is wall to wall with bookshelves. Most are doubl-stacked. There are also boxes of books I can't fit on the shelves (that kills me). But, whatever you do, do NOT put Danielle Steele on my shelf. I would have to bring out my katana.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: 2005 August 10, 02:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahhhh, I wondered if I detected the presence of another dragonlance fan when I saw your name Cheesy I love those too.

I started reading the Xanth series when I was about 15, and kept up with like the first 5, and then all of a sudden there were too many of them and I gave up LOL...

I love the puns in the Xanth series...my favorites were the nickelpedes and the technicolor hailstorms.

SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2005 August 10, 04:14:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Piers Anthony's puns don't appeal to me, but that's the worst I can say for him!  (After all, he has a string of best-selling novels and I've never tossed anything longer than a novella over the transom!)

I have that same impression of Heinlein's later works.  If you're reading anything after Stranger it seems that the best thing to do is stop 3/4ths of the way through and close the book.  Then just write the ending in your own mind.  Nevertheless, Number of the Beast is one of my favorite Heinlein books.

I've been on a John Ringo kick lately.  I think his war novels would appeal to JM; lots of murder and mayhem and heavyweight firepower.  They're not for everybody, but I'm a closet history buff, and much of history is about military operations. 

At the moment, my pleasure reading is 1776 by David McCullough.  I recommend it highly, as well as his previous book, John Adams.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2005 August 10, 08:41:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Read any Piers Anthony lately? 

Yes, I've read his books, loved them in my 20's, again became very formulaic. I also liked his Incarnations of Immortality best. I like most of the authors mentioned so far, a couple I've not heard of.

Sheree S tepper is one of my favourite authors and a friend just pointed me towards Robert Rankin; Knees Up Mother Earth, Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse are the two I've read so far. I thoroughly enjoyed the books but can see a pattern appearing. If you like Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams you would most likely enjoy this UK author. He said he has invented his own genre as he doesn't fit any of the current ones.  Cool

Kitiara
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2005 August 10, 13:36:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahhhh, I wondered if I detected the presence of another dragonlance fan when I saw your name Cheesy I love those too.

I started reading the Xanth series when I was about 15, and kept up with like the first 5, and then all of a sudden there were too many of them and I gave up LOL...

I love the puns in the Xanth series...my favorites were the nickelpedes and the technicolor hailstorms.

Ah, yes. My name did come from she of the mercenary lifestyle and questionable morals.

I loved Com Puter in Xanth. I guess I just appreciated the campy literal nature of the puns in general. I like campy.

Sheree S tepper is one of my favourite authors

I forgot her. She's great.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: 2005 August 10, 18:34:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My first internet nick ever was Laurana...hehe

Kitiara
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2005 August 11, 00:33:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Laurana (Lauralanthalasa?) is amazing. Very sweet, very gutsy. A true hero. I think Kitiara is more 'fun' though. In theory anyway.

Liss - I think we've hijacked this thread.

Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: 2005 August 11, 02:01:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL appears so :p 

Yeah the Golden General was always one of my favorite characters.  Her and Tasslehoff lol...

Kitiara
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2005 August 11, 02:12:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OOh, Tas is definitely my favorite. I guess we didn't really hijack this thread, we just 'found' it, and are keeping it safe until the owners return to get it.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2005 August 11, 02:39:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thread jacking is pretty much the ongoing theme of this board, sort of like how the "preferences and woohoo" thread has meandered into a discussion on astrology and fortune-telling.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2005 August 11, 06:05:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like off-topic meanders, just like a real conversation, interesting people, interesting subjects mostly. I support anarchy and enjoy forums where there are few rules ie MikeInside forum and here.

sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2005 August 11, 06:50:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree. I hate forums where topics get locked at the drop of a hat. My husband says that you don't stop someone in the middle of a conversation and say "Excuse me! We were talking about cars, please stay on track or I will have to ask you to leave."

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2005 August 11, 06:51:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, that won't tend to happen here. If the discussion gets far enough off topic, I might split it, but as I'm generally the *CAUSE* of it being off topic, well, go figure.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: