More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 06:36:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Last ditch effort on cc in Generations
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Last ditch effort on cc in Generations  (Read 5121 times)
stim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Last ditch effort on cc in Generations
« on: 2011 June 14, 05:34:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wharrrgarrrbl!! So I stopped playing a year ago and for some unholy reason I thought I'd pick it up again.

Arrr'd LN, OL, and Generations, and like an idiot, installed them all in one gleeful go. And while it works, the CC is gone. Oh gawd, I know, I need to SEARCH MOAR and pay attention.

Searched moar. Searched everywhere. Here, google, MTS. Followed every tutorial I could find. Started over. Killed the old cc method, tried the new one. Tried the new one five times each with two different approaches. Went back to the old method. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

It is all gone. Even shit that was in my SuperOfficialKosher downloads folder that was gainfully gotten isn't showing up in the launcher (I know. I'm on a mac though, so not many options). Seriously. Nothing is showing up. Not even riverview (and I actually purchased the base game and I downloaded and installed that with a reg code and everything, so if nothing else, Riverview should show up).

I'm really annoyed. Is there anything I have possibly missed before I go all scorched earth on this?  The only thing I have not been able to do is patch up to 1.22, which seems to be problem combo of a) not being legit and b) having a mac. Searched for a workaround on that one, too. Fail whale on that end.
Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
Re: Last ditch effort on cc in Generations
« Reply #1 on: 2011 June 14, 12:13:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have Time Machine?

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
freckles
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 June 14, 18:43:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried decrapify?  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=20256.0
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 June 14, 18:59:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Arrr'd LN, OL, and Generations, and like an idiot, installed them all in one gleeful go.
There's nothing wrong with this.

Searched moar. Searched everywhere. Here, google, MTS. Followed every tutorial I could find. Started over. Killed the old cc method, tried the new one. Tried the new one five times each with two different approaches. Went back to the old method. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
How you can mess this up is beyond me. Instructions

It is all gone. Even shit that was in my SuperOfficialKosher downloads folder that was gainfully gotten isn't showing up in the launcher (I know. I'm on a mac though, so not many options). Seriously. Nothing is showing up. Not even riverview (and I actually purchased the base game and I downloaded and installed that with a reg code and everything, so if nothing else, Riverview should show up).
How don't even want to know how you've done this. Sim3packs that are in your downloads folder automatically show up in the launcher. You might just want to reinstall the games completely.

I'm really annoyed. Is there anything I have possibly missed before I go all scorched earth on this?  The only thing I have not been able to do is patch up to 1.22, which seems to be problem combo of a) not being legit and b) having a mac. Searched for a workaround on that one, too. Fail whale on that end.
If you're not using cracks, which you shouldn't be, you should have no problem patching.

Then again you are on a Mac, so who knows. Macs and sims do not mesh well together. Then again so do Macs and people that can't follow directions.

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 June 14, 23:14:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yet so many people do, then constantly insist they have done everything right, even when it doesn't work.  Then they blindly insist everything is right, and fail to take any advice, or follow any suggestions to try and fix the problem because in their mind everything is already right.

Then again you are on a Mac, so who knows. Macs and sims do not mesh well together. Then again so do Macs and people that can't follow directions.

This doesn't just apply to Mac users, plenty of windoze users out there have the same problem when it comes to following directions.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 June 15, 00:02:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried decrapify? 

Decrapify won't run on a Mac by itself. Mac users need to use boot camp or something like Parallels. Decrapifying fixes a lot of borked crap, but the OP didn't indicate if they have access to a copy of Windows. I'd guess probably not, since the gameplay on Windows tends to be better than the one on OS X (coming from a Mac user who's tried both).

I'm thinking that Macs having trouble patching is a known problem, even with legit games. Are you doing it manually or through the launcher?

I sing along with elevator music.
stim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 June 15, 00:30:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I'm pretty sure I did do everything right, even from using those very instructions. Particularly since after all of my own attempts didn't work, I deleted everything I'd done and went with the Mac Framework Installer (both of them, actually). Where it continued not to work. And that didn't make a damn difference either. So unless you're insistent that Marhis is a total fail, well, there you are.

How don't even want to know how you've done this. Sim3packs that are in your downloads folder automatically show up in the launcher. You might just want to reinstall the games completely.

Yeah, I know they're supposed to automatically show up in the launcher. They aren't. This was actually primarily where I was trying to suss out what course of action I have might have missed while trying to sort out what my options were.  I think the whole thing is borked though, considering the whole game appears to be ignoring my documents folder. Saved sims and saved games that loaded pre-new EPs aren't around in the game either. I was hoping to avoid a total reinstall.

Decrapify won't run on a Mac by itself. Mac users need to use boot camp or something like Parallels. Decrapifying fixes a lot of borked crap, but the OP didn't indicate if they have access to a copy of Windows. I'd guess probably not, since the gameplay on Windows tends to be better than the one on OS X (coming from a Mac user who's tried both).

Actually, all of my items are decrapified. I've got an ancient win machine from 2002 that I ferry files too and from.

I'm thinking that Macs having trouble patching is a known problem, even with legit games. Are you doing it manually or through the launcher?

Through the launcher, it refuses. Cries about my .exe being modified, and some random text file and quits. Manually insists I don't actually have the game installed. Not sure where it's trying to look, and considering what direct manual links I've found are .exe's that must be wine wrapped (even shit that's meant just for Macs), I can't exactly smack it on the head and make it comply.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 June 15, 03:04:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I'm pretty sure I did do everything right, even from using those very instructions. Particularly since after all of my own attempts didn't work, I deleted everything I'd done and went with the Mac Framework Installer (both of them, actually). Where it continued not to work. And that didn't make a damn difference either. So unless you're insistent that Marhis is a total fail, well, there you are.

Marhis isn't "total fail," but that installer is outdated. The old method works on Windows, but I switched to Boot Camp pre-LN, so I haven't tried it on OS X since. I wasn't aware there was another framework installer out there for Mac folk. Where is the other framework installer you're referring to?

As far as the message about a modified .exe goes, here's the obvious question: are you using a modified .exe? Using a crack or modifying files to avoid the launcher at startup would probably trigger that. There's also a post about Mac players being unable to patch over at the official forum but obviously, there's no guarantees considering the source. The other option, if you haven't tried it yet, would be to try manually patching, but IIRC links to Mac patches can be tricky to hunt down.

I sing along with elevator music.
stim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 June 16, 01:16:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Marhis isn't "total fail," but that installer is outdated. The old method works on Windows, but I switched to Boot Camp pre-LN, so I haven't tried it on OS X since. I wasn't aware there was another framework installer out there for Mac folk. Where is the other framework installer you're referring to?

There's another updated one on MTS. Too lazy to link. It's relatively new. But Marhis' framework installer still works for Macs. After reinstalling LN and Gen for the third time I managed to get .packages to work again, briefly afterwards.

And I discovered the reason behind my extreme bork of failure. Somewhere along the line, the install redirected the Documents folder into my root. I had a folder hanging out that was "%Username%\Documents\..." and drilled down all the way you'd expect with all the saves I'd managed when playing Generations. No clue as to how that happened. Working on total clean install as we speak, so I pretty much know what I'm doing for the rest of my day. So far so good, though.

Adding in case anyone encounters a similar problem and actually bothers to search: Having a "%Username%\Documents\..." folder installed into my root drive appears to have been caused by updating HELS to the most recent patch available. Patching HELS to 3.10 consistently produced this effect for me three times, one of which corrupted my entire install which could not be remedied by uninstalling HELS, though on the other tries, uninstalling HELS did resolve problem. As far as I can tell, it was the 3.10 patch that was causing the majority of my issues (including properly installed framework Mods folders to be ignored [primarily because the game was referencing the root folder]).
« Last Edit: 2011 June 17, 04:39:11 by stim » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: