More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 00:59:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Changing road types
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Changing road types  (Read 8293 times)
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Changing road types
« on: 2011 April 11, 14:28:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been playing plasticbox's Elsewhere neighbourhood for ages, and it's always had a weird problem regarding the roads. The terrain itself has the concrete texture, the roads however show a bit of desert between the road and the pavement. I suspect plasticbox at some point changed the terrain from desert to concrete and the roads remained the same. It didn't really bother me at first, but I recently downloaded this replacement for desert roads, and now the difference is really noticable.
Is there any way to fix this problem, change some numbers with SimPE perhaps?
« Last Edit: 2011 April 12, 15:27:10 by Eleonora » Logged

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Changing road types
« Reply #1 on: 2011 April 11, 17:02:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know the answer to your question, but thought I'd let you know that your road replacement link also leads to the Elsewhere 'hood.
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 April 12, 15:33:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fixed link.

Been mucking about in SimPE for a bit (keep in mind I'm very amateur at this) and I have managed to replicate the problem. Generated two new hoods, same terrain, one concrete one desert. Copied the concrete's 'Neighborhood Terrain Geomtry' file, replaced the desert one. Loaded the desert hood, it's now the same weird hybrid as my Elsewhere, concrete terrain, desert roads. So in theory I should be able to do the oppostie and copy only the road texture. Unfortunatly, I have no clue which file in the neighborhood.package contains this information. So I'm stuck.

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 April 12, 19:49:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have the answer.  However, I believe that you may be looking at the wrong package.  I seem to remember seeing the terrain type in the LOT package, perhaps in the Road Textures?  Also, did you check out the texture in the Lot Description in the neighborhood package?

After creating this hybrid neighborhood, what happens when you add a new empty lot?  Does it also get the desert terrain near the road?  If so, then the problem is likely in the hood package; if not, then the problem is likely in the lot package.
« Last Edit: 2011 April 12, 19:56:57 by Mootilda » Logged

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 April 12, 20:41:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Picture

Bleh, I think I'm just going to call it quits. Roads should be regular maxis tarmac, but both in neighbourhood and lot view they show the desert texture. Without that replacement road texture I downloaded the difference isn't as obnoxious, Ill just get rid of it. Sigh, I'd hoped this would be an easily fixable thing.

After creating this hybrid neighborhood, what happens when you add a new empty lot?  Does it also get the desert terrain near the road?  If so, then the problem is likely in the hood package; if not, then the problem is likely in the lot package.

Roads placed after creating an unholy hybrid get the concrete ground texture and the desert road texture, just like my Elsewhere hood. As far as I can tell there isn't any reference to the road texture in the individual lot packages, only the ground texture.
Edit: realised the picture of my lot is kinda crap, it doesn't show the original ground texture, which is concrete.

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 April 13, 01:13:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I can tell there isn't any reference to the road texture in the individual lot packages, only the ground texture.

I see a Road Texture (RTEX) with Type = 0xACE46235:
http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=ACE46235

[Update:]

I just found another place where the terrain type is stored in the neighborhood package.  I have no idea why, but it's stored in the NGBH (Neighborhood/Memory) record.  The terrain type in the NGBH for Elsewhere is Desert, so this could be the problem.

Unfortunately, the terrain type in that record doesn't display in the plugin view, so you'd have to edit it in hex:
http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=NGBH

Since "Concrete" has more letters than "Desert", you would also have to change the length of the terrain string and insert characters in the correct location.

[Another Update:]

I tested this and confirmed that changing the terrain type in the NGBH record will change the terrain underneath the road (and between the road and the sidewalk).  However, I doubt that you want to change the terrain to Concrete since that clashes fairly badly with the actual terrain of Elsewhere, which is sand because of the low elevation.  I also tried Dirt, but it is also substantially darker than the sand.  I suspect that plasticbox chose Desert because it was the closest match to the actual sand terrain.

If you'd like, I can share those two versions of the NGBH with you.
« Last Edit: 2011 April 16, 03:26:27 by Mootilda » Logged

Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 April 17, 23:21:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you'd like, I can share those two versions of the NGBH with you.

Oh please do, I'm staying at my parents house for the coming week, but when I get back I'd like to experiment futher with this.
I don't think the clash will be worse than what I've got going on now. As long as I can get the concrete roads back, I don't mind repainting the bit between the road and the sidewalk with terrain paint to match the 'beach' texture.

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 April 17, 23:33:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK.  Here is a zip file with 3 folders: Dirt, Desert, and Concrete.  Backup your neighborhood first, just in case you don't like the results.  Unzip the one that you want and use SimPE to replace the existing NGBH with the one that you selected.

* ElsewhereRoadTerrainOptions.zip (2.72 KB - downloaded 206 times.)

Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 April 18, 11:46:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*baaaah*

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 April 18, 16:34:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm afraid that's not very informative.  Perhaps if you included some pictures which would show us exactly what you want changed, it would help.
« Last Edit: 2011 April 18, 19:21:14 by Mootilda » Logged

Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 April 18, 19:25:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Haha, sorry, I assumed you were familiar with this part of MATY culture. I was just expressing my gratitude, press the 'thanks' button in the corner of my post and you'll see what I mean.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: