More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 05:46:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Mac help for a noob
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Mac help for a noob  (Read 11186 times)
Flamrhtei
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Mac help for a noob
« on: 2011 February 23, 21:30:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey everyone, I know that you're probably going to ignore me but I'm really struggling with the framework and installation of AwesomeMod. The problem I'm facing is that when I load up my game after installing AM it freezes.

Before you asked, I did search, and I checked MATYWikka as well (which brought me to this thread http://moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17454.msg540991.html#msg540991 but it was for PCs not Macs). I also checked this thread, but you guys didn't really offer any help: http://moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,19850.0.html.

I've included a screenshot of how I've installed the framework and the mod itself. In case it helps, I'm running game version 6.2.4.010001 and have all the EPs and SPs installed apart from OLS.

Images linked because they're very wide:
http://oi53.tinypic.com/iwmywy.jpg
http://imm.io/3VY7

I hope you guys can help, I've tried installing this mod about a dozen times now, and I'm really struggling.
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
Re: Mac help for a noob
« Reply #1 on: 2011 February 23, 22:33:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do believe the resoucre.cfg is supposed to be IN the mods folder.

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 February 23, 22:47:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, also post a screenshot of the text contained in the resource.cfg file if moving it doesn't fix it. I don't have a mac, but do they use the same file system syntax?
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 February 23, 22:52:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We were unhelpful before so you decided to give us a whole new thread to be unhelpful in - thankyou.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 February 23, 23:06:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey everyone, I know that you're probably going to ignore me

Where would be the fun in that?

Anyway, I don't believe you searched very thoroughly as this is a question that comes up all the time. The hint is already in this thread, if you're clever enough to find it.

I don't have a mac, but do they use the same file system syntax?

Yes. Everything inside the .app file replicates the Windows file structure, at least for purposes of framework and mods and such.

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 February 23, 23:11:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not 100% accurate.  The resource.cfg only goes inside the mod folder when installing through the documents section, the new method.  When using the old framework as this sorry individual is, the resource.cfg went outside the mods folder.

If you check the screenshots again, you'll notice they have installed the mods in the programs section, in the actual game folders.  I believe using the old method, as this sorry individual is, macs also required the .dll file to be added to every EP/SP installed just like windows did, which they have not done.

Put simply, from those screen shots, they have fucked up big time by trying to mix the old and new frameworks, rather than using one or the other.  They need to stop mixing the framework methods and decide which method they want to use.  The information to do this is available, with screenshots as I recall reading it when the details were actually posted, I just don't remember exactly what they said as I don't use a Mac and don't really care, so unless the poster deleted them, they are still here somewhere, all they need to do is look for it.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Flamrhtei
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 February 23, 23:25:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This was the text inside the resource.cfg document:

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles  Mods/Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Mods/Test/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Mods/Probation/*.package

If anything there seems wrong then please let me know. I'm also going to try both adding the dll file to each EP and SP.

EDIT: I tried placing the resource.cfg document in the mods folder and that made the game actually start, so part one of my problem has been solved but I entered the "showconfig" code and it wasn't recognized as a cheat, so I'm still trying to get AM to work.

EDITx2: Sigh, adding the .dll file to every EP and SP's Bin folder didn't work either.
« Last Edit: 2011 February 24, 00:06:00 by Flamrhtei » Logged
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 February 24, 13:28:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That resource.cfg is incorrect to be placed inside the mod folder. 

You need to work out which framework method you want to use.  If you are going to use the old method, that cfg file is correct but needs to go outside the mods folder, and you need to get the rest of the framework right.

If you want to use the new method, the cfg file will need to be altered and the mods folder moved.  YOU CAN NOT GO MIXING THE TWO DIFFERENT FRAMEWORKS.  A hybrid system won't work right, choose one or the other.  Both methods are clearly explained on this site.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 February 26, 01:14:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to use the new method, the cfg file will need to be altered and the mods folder moved.  YOU CAN NOT GO MIXING THE TWO DIFFERENT FRAMEWORKS.  A hybrid system won't work right, choose one or the other.  Both methods are clearly explained on this site.
...yes you can. I do.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Viscount
immortelleMuse
Blathering Buffoon

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 February 26, 03:18:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use both frameworks too. I use the /Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 directory specifically for Awesomemod because it's my core mod; the other framework for objects/combined .package store stuff so I don't have to uninstall them every time I patch or get a new expansion. So... yeah. It works.

No matter how old you are, no matter how badass you think you are, if a toddler hands you their ringing toy phone-- you answer it.
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 February 26, 03:46:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use both frameworks too. I use the /Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 directory specifically for Awesomemod because it's my core mod; the other framework for objects/combined .package store stuff so I don't have to uninstall them every time I patch or get a new expansion. So... yeah. It works.
I just make an Awesome subfolder in Mods/Packages. Why bother with two frameworks when it's the same effect in the end?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 February 26, 03:50:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, in my case, it's more like "why do I want to change all of my existing compile scripts when this method has worked since the beginning and the other is a dodgy EA contrivance that may or may not work"?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011 February 26, 04:45:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good for you, now stay here and help all the noobs who try to create a hybrid, rather than two separate frameworks, and can't get them to work.  I never said you can't use two separate and complete frameworks, you just can't go mixing and making a hybrid system, which the OP appears to be trying to do.  If the OP tells us which of the two methods they want to use, they can be helped a whole lot easier, and the resource.cfg is different for each method as is the location of it.

The problem is all these noobs keep mixing the two systems and getting framework fail.  If you don't trust EAxis, the old method is good, if you trust EAxis or don't care, the new method is simpler and less prone to problems when new EP/SPs get added to the system.  I lost track of the number of people who complained that their mods stopped working when a new EP/SP got added, and blamed AM, because they didn't expand the framework to the new EP/SP.

nythawk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011 March 01, 21:03:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use a Mac as well and it is NOT that difficult to install the framework anymore. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand. They have made it extremely easy to do so since, I think, Ambitions. Here is the proper (and easiest) way to install mods and framework for Mac:

http://www.macnation.org/right_way.jpg

Now use this info and don't create extra threads around here again. They don't like that kind of thing. And maybe grow a few more braincells. It's not that difficult. EA even gave instructions on how to do it for Christ's sake. Angry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: