More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:58:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Can someone help a newb? I'm prepared to be flamed.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can someone help a newb? I'm prepared to be flamed.  (Read 28553 times)
aerokinetic
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Can someone help a newb? I'm prepared to be flamed.
« on: 2011 January 11, 00:57:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've read that others have had the same problem, and the response was to go search for it. Now, I may just be blind, or perhaps I just didn't dig deep enough. I'm having a problem getting AwesomeMod to work with Late Night. It freezes at the Loading Screen. I've experienced this problem before, after a patch was released and AwesomeMod had not yet been updated. I know it's not a problem with the mod itself, it's obviously working for others. I've tried installing it in the base game directory, and in the Late Night directory. It's not a problem with my framework, as other mods are working fine.  I downloaded a new copy today just in case I missed an update. AwesomeMod was working before I installed Late Night, so I figure it must be the way that I'm installing it now that I have the expansion.

I'm running on a 2010 Macbook Pro, with Mac OsX 10.6.4. I only have the base game and Late Night, and I'm updated to version 6.1.11.009001.

Any comments are appreciated, and I thank you for your time.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
Re: Can someone help a newb? I'm prepared to be flamed.
« Reply #1 on: 2011 January 11, 01:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's good you're prepared to be flamed, since your question is retarded.  SEARCH, for fuck's sake.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 January 11, 01:27:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm running on a 2010 Macbook Pro, with Mac OsX 10.6.4. I only have the base game and Late Night, and I'm updated to version 6.1.11.009001.

Any comments are appreciated, and I thank you for your time.

You should stop running on your computer, as this may compromise the machine's structural integrity.

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
Swat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 January 11, 22:45:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Flamage Confirmed.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 January 11, 23:45:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is a fascinating MATY fact that the amount of help provided is reduced exponentially in relation to even a minute amount of flamage.  You are flamed = extremely little help.

We like to think that this is because of the n00b/tard in question, and not due to any attribute of our own, unless we really want to acknowledge that we are, essentially, that sort of person.  Actually, what am I saying?  We like to acknowledge that all the time.

All the same, the answers sought are available and not hidden.

Tribulatio proxima est
Tever
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 January 12, 17:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So you read around enough to know you would probably get flamed, but didn't think that SEARCH MOAR was going to apply to you?
Billmonaghan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2011 January 13, 14:37:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

aerokenetic,

You've just encountered two or three of the reasons people seeking mods should look into using Twallan's mods and shunning this den of snarks and this core mod.

http://themaresnest.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/when-a-mod-becomes-a-sod/

"Ah yes, we were in the HimALLyas, had lost our corkscrew. Had to subsist for several days on nothing but water and food."
 --  W. C. Fields
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 January 13, 15:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"When a Mod Becomes a Sod"?  Wow, someone suckled at the creative teat all night to come up with that one.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 January 13, 17:51:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of the copypastes in that article seem to be written by Twallan fans or people who couldn't manage to get AM to work (i.e. could not follow basic instructions).

Also, I am holier than thou.

Tribulatio proxima est
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 January 13, 21:06:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

aerokenetic,

You've just encountered two or three of the reasons people seeking mods should look into using Twallan's mods and shunning this den of snarks and this core mod.

TL;DR. Tits or GTFO.

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 January 13, 21:16:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"When a Mod Becomes a Sod"?  Wow, someone suckled at the creative teat all night to come up with that one.

I am seeing abuses of the English language over there that normally I would just P&L at, but it kind of looks like the word salad brought about by an undiagnosed stroke.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 January 13, 21:51:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which means what? You're experiencing strange urges to place them into medical care?

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2011 January 13, 21:55:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

aerokenetic,

I think the funniest thing about that was the fact about how WRONG all of those people are. "Core mods are extremely dangerous and cause about 1/3 of the CC problems in your game." Seriously? I use AM, I have downloaded clothing, lots, objects. I have other non-core mods, including one of Twallans. Does my game have problems? None whatsoever, other than crappy EA caused problems. The TWO crashes I've had were unexplainable, as I started the game right back up, did the same things, and nothing went wrong. Plus, half the other things they were saying ("You'll have to completely uninstall and reinstall your game" etc) were also just stupidly wrong.

Meh. Stupid people irritate me. At least I have a great place to start with for the List of Common Misconceptions when I get back to writing it.

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011 January 13, 21:56:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"This den of snarks".  You can FEEL the pearls being clutched dramatically.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011 January 13, 22:00:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

aerokenetic,

Ack.  Now I know why the BBS has such a reputation for lies and stupidity.  The falsehoods on that page make me want to smite some tards.

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011 January 13, 22:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'll have to smite them from over here.  They wisely closed comments.  Tongue

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011 January 13, 23:15:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to know how I can use the Sims as a woohoo aid. Please help, as I have obviously not followed the instructions properly. My woohoo is not currently sims enhanced.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011 January 14, 00:28:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If anything, I would say the Sims imparts a woohoo handicap on players.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011 January 14, 00:49:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That, and the claim that it's unremoveable that people keep bandying about is simply a not-trueity.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LVRugger
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011 January 14, 01:22:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My favorite part is how they complain Pescado doesn't update for ages after a patch. WTF? Testing mod is usually available the same day as the patch. Fucking morons.
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011 January 14, 01:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My favorite part is how they complain Pescado doesn't update for ages after a patch. WTF? Testing mod is usually available the same day as the patch. Fucking morons.

CAN'T FIND IT TOO HARD LOLLERCOPTERS

Billmonaghan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2011 January 14, 01:29:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dude. Stop clutching your pearls. You'll be able to flame people twice as fast if you type with both hands. Cheesy

We shouldn't be surprised if misinformation persists if our only answers to people's questions is LURK MOAR FUCKTARD and a string of dull, repetitive attempts at personal insults. There is a middle ground between "give a man a fish" and "strike a man repeatedly about the head and shoulders with a fish until he loses his taste for seafood."

And for all the misinformation in the Mare's Nest post, the one consistent comment which no one can deny, which many of you in fact brag about, is that most questions from new users are met with derision and personal attacks. Back when AM was the only mod in town, people who otherwise would avoid such conduct had to put up with that if they wanted to mod the game.  Now they have options. Better documented mods and more helpful communities around those mods.

The second biggest barrier to broader acceptance of AM is the instructions are outdated. If you follow the framework and AM instructions to the letter, you will not be able to keep your game running if you add one or more EPs. If there's no where to turn for advice without being flamed, people will drift elsewhere. You don't really expect anything else, do you?

If you want to keep losing "market share" to other mods, y'all are doing a great job. That's all I'm saying, along with telling the OP he/she has other options than to put up with substandard documentation and chickenshit.
« Last Edit: 2011 January 14, 02:30:39 by Billmonaghan » Logged

"Ah yes, we were in the HimALLyas, had lost our corkscrew. Had to subsist for several days on nothing but water and food."
 --  W. C. Fields
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011 January 14, 02:44:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dude. Stop clutching your pearls. You'll be able to flame people twice as fast if you type with both hands. Cheesy

We shouldn't be surprised if misinformation persists if our only answers to people's questions is LURK MOAR FUCKTARD and a string of dull, repetitive attempts at personal insults. There is a middle ground between "give a man a fish" and "strike a man repeatedly about the head and shoulders with a fish until he loses his taste for seafood."

And for all the misinformation in the Mare's Nest post, the one consistent comment which no one can deny, which many of you in fact brag about, is that most questions from new users are met with derision and personal attacks. Back when AM was the only mod in town, people who otherwise would avoid such conduct had to put up with that if they wanted to mod the game.  Now they have options. Better documented mods and more helpful communities around those mods.

The second biggest barrier to broader acceptance of AM is the instructions are outdated. If you follow the framework and AM instructions to the letter, you will not be able to keep your game running if you add one or more EPs. If there's no where to turn for advice without being flamed, people will drift elsewhere. You don't really expect anything else, do you?

If you want to keep losing "market share" to other mods, y'all are doing a great job. That's all I'm saying, along with telling the OP he/she has other options than to put up with substandard documentation and chickenshit.

The fact is, these questions that we flame people for have been asked AGAIN and AGAIN, and we're tired of answering them.  There's a reason we ask people to search before posting with a problem.  Nine times out of ten, searching will answer the problem.  The OP's question was an example of this.  In nearly all cases, being stuck at the loading screen is indicative of an inability to set up the framework correctly.  A search for "stuck loading screen" turns up this information in the first few results.  If someone asks a question that hasn't been answered numerous times before, we are quite happy to answer.  Neither I nor anyone else will flame her.  It is true that the Awesomemod documentation is rather lacking.  However, the instructions for using it can still be easily found; only the most advanced and obscure functions are in want of documentation somewhere around this site.  The framework information, by the way, is entirely up to date.  Additionally, your reference to "market share" is laughable; AM is not a product that is sold.  No one here really cares about how many people use Awesomemod; it's not our problem people are too stupid to use it.  In any case, I'm sure plenty of people will continue to play using AM.  It does things (like fixing bugs) that no script mod is capable of doing, and it is suitable for a large range of playstyles, contrary to the canard that has been parroted throughout numerous forums.

spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011 January 14, 03:03:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are a telemarketer and I claim my five pounds.

wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011 January 14, 04:06:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is a load of shit.  If you're referring to the old, outdated framework method, which by the way still works just fine if you set it up right, had no problems with adding a new EP or SP, you just expanded the framework and the instructions said just that.  It isn't our fault if some people need even simpler instructions and constant hand holding to do the basics.

The new method has no problems either with a new EP or SP, in fact it is even easier than the old method as the new one requires no changes to anything.

I often wonder about people who claim that ALL their other mods and CC work but AM doesn't.  In most cases, these claims turn out to be either a mod conflict, such as having TWO core mods, or a problem with their framework, in which case you have to question whether their other mods and CC were in fact working.

As has been said before, MATY expects people to search before asking a question.  Most problems that noobs report are not new, and have been discussed at length before.  The problem is, these people come from the BBS or some other sickly sweet forum that tolerates, allows and even encourages people to ask the same shit over and over again in new threads.  Alot of the time when you look at the index page for these boards, you see the same question in half a dozen or more threads all lined up one after the other, and nearly ALL will have a different answer or response, and if the response wasn't helpful, they start a new thread to ask again.

And for all the misinformation in the Mare's Nest post, the one consistent comment which no one can deny, which many of you in fact brag about, is that most questions from new users are met with derision and personal attacks. Back when AM was the only mod in town, people who otherwise would avoid such conduct had to put up with that if they wanted to mod the game.  Now they have options. Better documented mods and more helpful communities around those mods.

If a noob asks a perfectly valid question, they get great help from people who know the answer, and no flaming, insults or other attacks, but coming in and starting with shit telling everyone they are a noob, then apologising, asking not to be flamed and how they spent the last 2 years searching for an answer and couldn't find one, then ask a question that has been done to death, such as a framework or patch fail problem, even asking where to download AM from, things for which most people can search for, and find the answer in less then 2 minutes, they aren't going to be given the royal treatment.

There are many people here who never got flamed or attacked as a noob because they did the right thing from the start, such as properly searching first, then asking questions that hadn't been covered before, while others went through a baptism of fire and emerged out the other side all the better for it, while others got lost in the flames.  How a noob is treated very much depends on how they first present themselves.
« Last Edit: 2011 January 14, 04:11:17 by wizard_merlin » Logged

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: