More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 10:45:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Is it really my processor?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is it really my processor?  (Read 13862 times)
mslewis
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Is it really my processor?
« on: 2010 November 03, 18:21:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before i bite the bullet and buy a new computer.  I contacted EA because I bought Fast Lane and installed without success.  It would only crash to desktop.  After following the direction to uninstall and reinstall (3 times) they finally came back with the answer that my processor was too slow.  It's 2.1 and I think they recommend 2.3 or 2.4.  I played all the way up to Ambitions before having any trouble.  Please help me.

Thanks
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
Re: Is it really my processor?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 November 03, 20:00:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ha! EA lies.

I think it's pretty obvious that the real problem here is that you need a new monitor.

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 November 03, 22:49:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am assuming that you are trying to say that you have a 2.1 GHz processor, which is barely over the minimum specs for the game on Windows XP, and under the minimum specs for Vista. You usually want to be well over all minimum specs, not just barely scraping by. So, yeah, I would say it could be your processor, but that could just be one component of the problem, perhaps your entire system is under or just barely over specs. You haven't told us any other things like how much RAM you have, which operating system you use, or which graphics card you have so it makes it hard to diagnose the problem.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Patrick
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 November 03, 23:06:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never heard of a CTD because the CPU was too slow.
mslewis
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 November 03, 23:38:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OS is Vista, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400  @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz, Memory: 3070MB RAM
 Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT. 

If I'm correct, everything else is o.k. except for the processeor.  I thought about getting the processor upgraded, but noone i talked to was able to help me.  They made it sound really complicated and I would be better off buying a new computer.  Like I said I played all the way up to Ambitions with no problems. 

Thank again.         
Patrick
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 November 04, 00:04:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Upgrading the CPU isn't really that big of a deal. Just find out what socket it uses and get a replacement for that socket type. With installing it you have to be a bit careful, but if you buy at a local shop you might even get a good deal on installing it, too.
bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

Less awesome than some of you

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 November 04, 01:37:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Replacing CPU is indeed not hard, just be careful not to scratch it. What they meant is that probably when you have an old enough computer that CPU is causing trouble, finding a decent processor replacement might be a lot of hassle when you're probably gonna need to buy a new computer soon, anyway.
As Patrick said - look up your motherboard model compatibility and buy a processor that's on supported list (if it's not there, it might not work).

I thought minimal requirements for sims 3 were lower than that, especially since it can take advantage of multiple cores (I managed to run it on 3GHz 1 core AMD without trouble). Have you tried googling your FLS problem before you complained to EA?
claudiasharon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 November 04, 02:07:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ to see if I could run The Sims 3 on my computer, and it said all the eps were fine except for Late Night.

I passed everything but the video card.

It said:

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
                         Required      You Have
Video RAM               128 MB        1.0 GB
Pixel Shader version   2.0        3.0

So...how is it that I failed? Looks to me like I have above the minimum required. *shrugs*

So before you go by a computer, make sure you get one that will run the Sims right, get all the specs you need, etc etc and show the computer guy what you want. Sometimes you can go into a store, say what you want your computer for, and they'll fix you up with one.

This post is kind of pointless. Sorry.

"Dr Jackson is going to die when he sees this."
"What, again?"
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 November 04, 02:40:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Upgrading the CPU isn't really that big of a deal. Just find out what socket it uses and get a replacement for that socket type. With installing it you have to be a bit careful, but if you buy at a local shop you might even get a good deal on installing it, too.

It isn't always that easy.  As processors develop they tend to change socket type, which often makes upgrades to the CPU difficult without replacing the motherboard, which usually then requires new RAM as the new boards use newer RAM modules, etc.  When trying to stay within a particular socket type, especially older ones, the available CPU's, which tend to be limited,  are usually older models and don't offer huge increases in performance.

I doubt CPU performance would be causing the original problem, more likely something else.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 November 04, 04:01:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't think CPU alone would be enough to cause crashes. EA tech support is a joke, and they likely just wanted to get you off the phone.

Sometimes you can go into a store, say what you want your computer for, and they'll fix you up with one.

I would be very, very careful about this. It's not a good idea to go out computer shopping and depend solely on a retailer for advice unless it's someone you trust, and never do it at a big box retailer. They may or may not know what they are talking about, and a lot of employees will gladly take advantage of a customer in order to make a sale, especially if there's commission involved.

I sing along with elevator music.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 November 04, 04:10:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA tech support is a joke, and they likely just wanted to get you off the phone.

That and they would have been reading from a script, and as soon as a slower CPU (or any spec lower than what their script said was required) was mentioned, they would have zeroed in on it as the reason because their script says it should be this speed, etc, rather than actually trying to find the problem.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
LadyRotor
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 November 04, 06:16:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt it is your processor. My Processor is at lower speeds, but I did own a Nvidea Geforce 9500GT 1GB graphics card witch tends to overheat and cause programs to be closed even restart the entire computer when the problem starts increasing.
Spacemouse
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 November 04, 07:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is nothing wrong with your processor. Your 2.1 GHz  dual core is much faster/better then the required 2.4 GHz Pentium IV processor.

If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2010 November 04, 07:25:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't doubt it's the processor at all. My game CTDd on start-up when I tried to run it on Ye Olde Craputer. The specs are for a reason.

unknownlUser
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 November 04, 13:27:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

... witch tends to overheat ...
She does? Whateva were you doing, Witch?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 November 04, 18:31:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Choking n00bs?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2010 November 05, 01:13:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Search through the forums. Heaps of people get CTD issues, it's not your hardware.

Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2010 November 05, 13:56:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the processor is below spec, it might VERY WELL be the hardware. Why would it not be?

GnatGoSplat
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 November 05, 16:19:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the processor is below spec, it might VERY WELL be the hardware. Why would it not be?

Spacemouse got it right.  A Core 2 Duo at 2.1GHz is very much within specs.  Minimum system requirements for Late Night on Vista/Windows 7 is a Pentium 4 2.4GHz.

For example, the PassMark benchmark of a Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz is 1270.  Pentium 4 2.4GHz is 315. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html
The C2D at 2.1GHz is significantly faster than minimum requirements.

CPU being below spec is definitely not the problem.
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2010 November 05, 17:32:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, alright then. APPLY LOGIC, FINE. Tongue

bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

Less awesome than some of you

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 November 05, 18:16:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly, GnatGoSplat. A single core of that processor might be weaker but there are two cores available. The game would only fail if it couldn't spread its process across both cores, but since it's a fairly new game - it can.
MissKitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 November 05, 19:34:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For example, the PassMark benchmark of a Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz is 1270.  Pentium 4 2.4GHz is 315. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html
The C2D at 2.1GHz is significantly faster than minimum requirements.

I would like to baa a bit about that link. I was unsure about how good my 2GHz quad core actually was but blah blah blah [insert boring drivel about me and my computer that nobody cares about] and it's nice to be able to quickly compare numbers with recommended vs own specs when buying games. Cheesy
NoShitSherlock
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 November 05, 20:07:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Totally stupid question, did you change your DEP settings? I never had any CTDs until Ambitions, and then I went and actually changed the DEP settings. EA is stupid.
mslewis
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 November 06, 01:42:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did try the DEP, but I was so frustrated by that time I probably screwed it up.  As it stands right now I have nothing Sims related installed on my computer.  I think I'm going to reinstall (again) and see if I can't get it up and running.  I discovered that EA support was a total joke.  The only recommendation they gave was to uninstall and start over.  They told me that 3 times before finally settling on the processor.  By then I was finished and never wanted to turn my computer on again.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Simulate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 November 06, 02:41:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes you can go into a store, say what you want your computer for, and they'll fix you up with one.

ANSWER:

I would be very, very careful about this. It's not a good idea to go out computer shopping and depend solely on a retailer for advice unless it's someone you trust, and never do it at a big box retailer. They may or may not know what they are talking about, and a lot of employees will gladly take advantage of a customer in order to make a sale, especially if there's commission involved.

This is very true in the UK. The big chains are useless, they will deliberately lie - to get a sale. Proved on TV watchdog programs.  They do not employ people with computer skills, just anybody who wants a job. Try to return the product  and get a refund because of misleading sales tactics, may result in a long and costly legal battle. They know this and can afford it, they also know the average person can not.

So, go to the small independant shops, they rely on goodwill and repeat business. It is probably the same in other countries.
« Last Edit: 2010 November 06, 03:09:06 by Simulate » Logged

J. M. Pescado: "Closing this one as an ID: 10T error."
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: