More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 10:42:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  4th speed stopped working?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 4th speed stopped working?  (Read 9862 times)
fondeux
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
4th speed stopped working?
« on: 2010 November 03, 03:45:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So when I first got my laptop back in March, the first thing I arr'd was TS3, and it ran perfectly, zipping along even with the highest graphics settings.  I stopped playing for a few months and when I restarted, I immediately patched my game.  After every patch, Windows would pop up with a little notice, saying something along the lines of "this program may not have installed correctly".  Naturally, I ignored the error message, and continued to launch Sims.  When I started it up,  everything was slower, and most noticeably, my 4th speed option had stopped working! What gives? Should I have listened to the error message?  Should I actually go out and buy the game? Forget that, I'm a poor bastard.
Tever
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: 4th speed stopped working?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 November 03, 04:12:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you remember to remove your mods first? And check for conflicts and outdated ones?
Cappuccino
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 November 03, 07:03:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been having the "This program might not have installed correctly" message after every patch I've installed without it actually affecting anything. Probably a false alarm from Windows, so I guess you shouldn't worry about that.

Dive in!
Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 November 03, 13:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd completely uninstall,  making sure all the folders are actually deleted, and then reinstall it.  Seems like a logical first step.

Whoops.  It looks like I misunderstood your problem.  The 4th speed is exactly like the 3rd speed except that it goes back to first speed when your sims wake up or something else like that happens, as others have said.
« Last Edit: 2010 November 04, 01:02:15 by Simius » Logged
fondeux
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 November 03, 21:24:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you remember to remove your mods first? And check for conflicts and outdated ones?

Oopsies... Well, I did this today:

I'd completely uninstall,  making sure all the folders are actually deleted, and then reinstall it.  Seems like a logical first step.

And I deleted everything... mods, saved games, registry keys, everything! 4th speed is still the same, if not slower, than 3rd speed. Ruh roh! I haven't used a significant amount of memory, and I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus.  The only things I did before I restarted were update Awesomemod and patch. I haven't updated Windows in awhile, but I don't think that would affect my simming.

Also, I found out that if I crack the game before I patch, I don't get that error message.
« Last Edit: 2010 November 03, 21:29:50 by fondeux » Logged
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 November 03, 23:04:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you are having a basic misunderstanding of what 4th speed is. 4th speed is the same speed as 3rd speed, except that it will continue on in 3rd speed until something "important" happens as defined by the game, then dropping down into 1st speed.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
fondeux
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 November 03, 23:14:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you are having a basic misunderstanding of what 4th speed is. 4th speed is the same speed as 3rd speed, except that it will continue on in 3rd speed until something "important" happens as defined by the game, then dropping down into 1st speed.

Seriously? Unless my brains have been addled, I remember 4th speed was really fast. The little green bar under the sleep icon zoomed across within seconds!
Aimlak
Blathering Buffoon

Touched by His Noodly Appendage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 November 04, 00:27:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the game tips said that 4th speed was 3rd speed that continued until the selected sim finished their current action, after which it went to 1st. It was never faster than 3rd for me.

Quote from: Assmitten
Oh COME NOW Mr. Serious, we both know there's people who like to be digitally watched while they digitally fellate someone in a platypus suit.
missladee
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 November 04, 01:08:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The 4th speed is kinda like the 'skip' function on a CD player versus the fast forward. All it does is zoom through the current action until it's complete. Mine is also misbehaving, along with the time in the game sticking for hours. I just don't use the 4th speed anymore. Seemed like a good idea but...oh well...
bmtphoenix
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2010 November 17, 20:08:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thought I'd pipe up and mention that my 4th speed isn't acting like it used to, either. 

Lots of folks say that fourth is basically third with an auto-pause when something happens, but that's not at all what it USED to act like in my case.  In mine, it used to be ultra-fast, zooming through things like sleeping and working in about two seconds.  Now, however, it is just like third with auto-pause, which sucks. 

I'm guessing that those who say it's third with auto-pause have had their fourth speed broken all along.  It seems to be an extremely common thing. 
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 November 17, 21:57:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing that those who say it's third with auto-pause have had their fourth speed broken all along.  It seems to be an extremely common thing. 

If I hover over the 4th speed selection in game is says something like ultra speed through action, if I hover over 3rd peed it says Ultra speed, suggesting 3rd and 4th are now the same speed.  I always thought 4th speed was a bit faster, but maybe it wasn't.  There were complaints from some people about their game crashing when in 4th speed, so maybe EAxis slowed the speed down a little to stop the crashing, especially if the higher speed was causing issues with slightly older cards.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Magwitch
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 November 18, 15:29:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The 4th speed has always been 3rd speed with autopause. Always.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 November 19, 01:20:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

4th speed has never had autopause for me, never.  Using 4th speed to race through an action causes the game to go to normal speed, not pause at the end of the action.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Sarafina
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 November 19, 03:04:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

merlin is right, 4th speed has always been 3rd speed through the current action, then it goes to normal speed.  It is similar to when your sim sleeps.  When they sleep it is on third speed, then as soon as they wake up it is normal speed without you having to do anything.
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 November 19, 03:51:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

4th speed has never had autopause for me, never.  Using 4th speed to race through an action causes the game to go to normal speed, not pause at the end of the action.
By "autopause" I think she meant it automatically slows down.

Anyways, I don't ever remember 4th speed going any faster than 3rd speed, and I've been playing since vanilla The Sims 1. (when 4th speed only happened automatically while all your sims were asleep/at work.)
Magwitch
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 November 19, 10:38:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By "autopause" I think she meant it automatically slows down.

Yeah, sorry, poor choice of wording on my part. I meant what you guys are all saying - 4th speed is the same speed as 3rd but then reverts to normal speed at the end of the current action. It's never been faster than 3rd speed.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 November 19, 15:11:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can we have six or seven more people state this?  I don't think it's clear enough at this point.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: