More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:30:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Late Night bugs & annoyances
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Late Night bugs & annoyances  (Read 259012 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Late Night bugs & annoyances
« Reply #250 on: 2010 November 10, 07:48:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She is. Because, you know, her father was turned just before she was born.  Roll Eyes

Seriously. This game has very little logic.
That's actually quite comprehensible, when you know how it works. The game retains NO data on the past state of sims. This means that when the check is performed to see what the babby should become, look like, or behave like, it uses the data from the parents, as they exist, right NOW. In 99% of cases, this data does not differ significantly, as sims normally do not radically change their stats, but you're hitting that bizarre, 1% corner case. Obviously, a SMART designer would have anticipated it, but this game was not designed by anyone smart. The good news is that it's certainly FIXABLE, but the bad news is that implementing a fix would negatively affect future compatibility and drastically increase maintenance overhead.

I have 2 sims in my house, one of them works just fine, everything's normal.. but the other can't go downstairs. She will walk downstairs but be invisible, and unable to do anything. Once i set her to go back upstairs, she magically reappears through the floor and heads there.
I have encountered this before: Basically, it's caused by bad stairs. Stairs are evil. To fix the sim, teleport the sim using Shift-Teleport here to some safe place, then demolish the stairs and don't try to build any more stairs there.

In unrelated news, I have a handle on why clubs are unnaturally deserted at times: They're basically suffering a constant DDoS attack from invalid visitors which block out the real visitors. Fix will be in next AwesomeMod.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mekare
Asinine Airhead

I loveded piggy.

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2010 November 10, 08:35:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I demonlished the stairs, tried them in the only 2 other places they would fit on my lot, still wouldnt work... ultimately i pulled them all out and put in an elevator, which seems to be working fine ^^ (although it looks a little silly in my tiny house, lol)

☑ Saddam Hussein
☑ Osama Bin Laden
☐ Justin Bieber
gatopreto
Asinine Airhead

Yum, pudding!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2010 November 10, 11:11:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only bug I have notice so far regards the acting career: my level 8 actor sim could not go to work (the action kept dropping from his queue) even though he could enter the building to quit his job.
MissKitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2010 November 10, 14:35:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She is. Because, you know, her father was turned just before she was born.  Roll Eyes

Seriously. This game has very little logic.
That's actually quite comprehensible, when you know how it works. The game retains NO data on the past state of sims. This means that when the check is performed to see what the babby should become, look like, or behave like, it uses the data from the parents, as they exist, right NOW. In 99% of cases, this data does not differ significantly, as sims normally do not radically change their stats, but you're hitting that bizarre, 1% corner case. Obviously, a SMART designer would have anticipated it, but this game was not designed by anyone smart. The good news is that it's certainly FIXABLE, but the bad news is that implementing a fix would negatively affect future compatibility and drastically increase maintenance overhead.

Well, it's not exactly game-breaking (for me). I'm having fun with the blood suckers, so would probably have eventually turned her anyway. But it is kind of silly.

I think it's 1000 times worse the way that multiple births are always the same gender unless one jumps through hoops. That ruins any fun I would have had with multiples. But that's back to the base game and off-topic, so, eh, yeah. Derailing.
That Eighties Guy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2010 November 10, 17:34:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only bug I have notice so far regards the acting career: my level 8 actor sim could not go to work (the action kept dropping from his queue) even though he could enter the building to quit his job.
Having similar problems with certain opportunities. Some opportunities work, while some don't.
I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause, but I'm suspecting it's something related to the multiple businesses in the same rabbithole.
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2010 November 10, 18:08:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Having similar problems with certain opportunities. Some opportunities work, while some don't.
I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause, but I'm suspecting it's something related to the multiple businesses in the same rabbithole.
You're probably in Bridgeport and getting opportunities to go to Sunset Valley buildings. If you see something that tells you to go to "Little Corsican Bistro" for example, you're unable to go there so just cancel it.
gatopreto
Asinine Airhead

Yum, pudding!

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2010 November 10, 18:52:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm playing a custom hood with Sunset Valley's rabbit holes, so I don't think it applies to multiple-businesses-in-one-hole... I noticed, however, that the Movie Set rabbit hole sometimes changes "scenery" - might it be related to what I'm experiencing?
HollowClown
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2010 November 11, 03:54:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, this expansion is bugged.  Anyway, a few more I've noticed:

Toddlers (at least in theory) can't use elevators;  however, this seems to be borked with some of their more basic actions.  I can consistently duplicate this by starting with the Hemlock family, taking Belisama into her room, then telling her to 'play with toy' from her toybox.  She'll pick up the toy, walk to the elevator, get in, push the button, then go to the ground floor.  There's no 'push button' animation for toddlers, so this also causes her mesh to briefly distort in a freakish and amusing way.

Sims going to bars with no VIP section (eg Plasma 501) will occasionally roll a want to get into the non-existent VIP section.

The 'heating up' moodlet doesn't seem to trigger when Vampire sims are riding bicycles.  A vampire sim can happily go for a six-hour bike ride without beginning to heat up.

It also appears that many of the issues with Sunset Valley buildings also apply to service rewards.  I've tested with sims in the ghosthunter and stylist professions;  when they finish a few jobs, and get told to go to city hall to receive an award, the award ceremony is apparently taking place in the Sunset Valley city hall rather than the Bridgeport one.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: 2010 November 11, 09:46:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game retains NO data on the past state of sims. This means that when the check is performed to see what the babby should become, look like, or behave like, it uses the data from the parents, as they exist, right NOW.

So if the father dies the day before the baby is born, the baby will be a ghost?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2010 November 11, 10:15:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The 'heating up' moodlet doesn't seem to trigger when Vampire sims are riding bicycles.  A vampire sim can happily go for a six-hour bike ride without beginning to heat up.
That's because sims actually ride inside the bicycles.  I know it looks like they're out in the air and the sun, but they're not.  I noticed this in base game when sims who love the outdoors don't get their "one with nature" moodlet while riding a bike and sims who hate the outdoors don't get "plagued by nature" while riding a bike either.  I imagine it would be possible to fix this, though, since the game already must see a difference between vehicles and bicycles so that Eco-Friedly sims can be aware that they're saving the environment or wasting natural resources.

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2010 November 11, 10:34:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have uncovered what amounts to a giant Charlie Foxtrot in the entire skilling modifier system, which, among other things, is why vampires gain skills at insane rates. Other less noticeable accumulator errors occur with the regular game stuff, but vampires make it very dramatic.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mosquito
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2010 November 11, 12:01:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nah, actually, I`m interested as well - a mummy kid? Didn`t your game blow up in your face when it was born?
Roobs
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2010 November 11, 13:25:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed firefighters are now utterly obsessed with the Fire Station, throwing up sudden interactions to go and visit at all times of the day. Specifically, when they shouldn't be working, like at midnight or something. It's making it impossible to get hold of townie firefighters, and it's annoying having my playable Fire Chief suddenly drop his queue just so he can visit the station and immediately queuestomp to return home again.
ShinyBitz
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2010 November 11, 14:58:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EAxis forgot an important check in the "ask to go skinny dipping" interaction: under "friendly," adults can ask children to go skinny-dipping.  The option is grayed out, presumably due to the "no skinny dipping when children and teens are on the lot" rule, but it's still a little unpleasant to see it just looming, like a creepy uncle.  EAxis, why don't you take a seat right over there?

In The Sims, you never have to fear that weeks of work will be obliterated by a few moments of abject idiocy.
But other than that, it's a great game.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2010 November 11, 15:00:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EAxis forgot an important check in the "ask to go skinny dipping" interaction: under "friendly," adults can ask children to go skinny-dipping.  The option is grayed out, presumably due to the "no skinny dipping when children and teens are on the lot" rule, but it's still a little unpleasant to see it just looming, like a creepy uncle.  EAxis, why don't you take a seat right over there?

How long until some utter creeper comes on here and starts asking about a mod to "fix" this?

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Fribble
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2010 November 11, 17:02:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game retains NO data on the past state of sims. This means that when the check is performed to see what the babby should become, look like, or behave like, it uses the data from the parents, as they exist, right NOW.

So if the father dies the day before the baby is born, the baby will be a ghost?
Now this has got me curious. I think most likely not if the father just dies. But if he dies and you make him a playable ghost?
And now I want to see what happens if the mom dies when pregnant, if you bring her back will she still be pregnant?
Off to kill some sims, will report back with findings.

Though I am starting to suspect I am a rather twisted individual since this sounds like fun.

ETA
The results are in! And they are...weird

Base run is one male pollinating through Supercomputer 30 females. I don't recommend more than thirty because the one time I tried I got a BFBVFS when all the mothers went into labor.

Run with father killed and brought back as playable ghost after pollinating -  all children normal human.
Run with father as playable ghost (as control) before pollinating - roughly 50/50 normal human or ghost.
Run with father bitten by vampire after pollinating (to see percentage) - all children vampires.

And apparently you can not kill a pregnant sim. Various methods were tried.
Fire - the rugs did not light until I removed her from the room.
Water - She had full red bars and the drowning moodlet for 3-4 sim hours.
Hunger - Repeated dragging down of the hunger bar just sent her to the fridge each time.

Old age and electrocution were not really feasible. May try a meteor at a later date but I suspect she would only walk away singed.

I did find it interesting that the vampire trait is that all encompassing.
« Last Edit: 2010 November 12, 03:59:37 by Fribble » Logged
Jessnova
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2010 November 11, 20:13:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've hesitated to ask, since it might just be me...

But has anyone else noticed that since the patch/LN you can't que multiple Classes to learn a skill quickly?  I can only seem to get my sims to take a Class now if they are under skill level one for that skill AND they can only take that class once, period now.

I swear I used to be able to take classes at any skill level, many times - it just didn't do much past level 5.

It's kind of bugging me, because it was the fastest way for me to get newly-created sims to a semi-competent level of self sufficiency before I started to 'seriously' play them.

-tastes like chikin
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2010 November 11, 20:23:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never been able to take multiple classes in a row.  I've always had a "cooldown" period before my Sims could take another class in the same subject.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2010 November 11, 20:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims have only ever been able to take a class once in each skill. I usually saved it for higher levels.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2010 November 11, 20:36:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sims have only ever been able to take a class once in each skill. I usually saved it for higher levels.

There's a period of time that passes before you can take it again, but you CAN take multiple classes in a single subject.

wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2010 November 11, 22:56:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a period of time that passes before you can take it again, but you CAN take multiple classes in a single subject.

What sort of timeframe? 

Like witch, I have never been able to attend multiple classes for the same skill.  I have had sims attend a skill class as a T or YA, then add a couple of points through the regular skilling process, then do nothing more with that skill until almost an elder, and yet still have never seen an option for them to attend another class.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
shadow
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2010 November 11, 23:07:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem,,

I have 2 sims in my house, one of them works just fine, everything's normal.. but the other can't go downstairs. She will walk downstairs but be invisible, and unable to do anything. Once i set her to go back upstairs, she magically reappears through the floor and heads there.

I don't know why this is happening to one sim and not the other.  Ive tried reloading, resetting, i even evicted her and moved her back in, but she still can't go downstairs. I'm stumped. :/

I've had a similar problem when I've used 'moveobjects on' to move a sim out of the way. They do weird stuff for awhile, like go upstairs but you can see them up there (taking a bath or sleeping sans fixtures) then tell them to go downstairs and they appear downstairs without using the stairs or walk down invisible stairs in the middle of a room. I had to use 'resetsim' 2 or 3 times before they finally acted normal again.
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2010 November 11, 23:43:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What sort of timeframe? 

Like witch, I have never been able to attend multiple classes for the same skill.  I have had sims attend a skill class as a T or YA, then add a couple of points through the regular skilling process, then do nothing more with that skill until almost an elder, and yet still have never seen an option for them to attend another class.

To be honest, I've not timed it, but now I'm curious.  I'll start two new Sims and test it.  On one, I'll have a Sim skill using only classes and incidental skill-building.  On the other, I'll have the Sim actively skilling and taking classes.  That way, I can see if it's time-based, skill level-based, or if I'm just getting senile in my 36's and misremembering the entire thing.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2010 November 12, 00:17:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is no benefit to doing so. The rate at which skill is gained is the same whether you take it higher or lower. The rate at which sims gain XP does not depend on the skill level. Things which give levels outright benefit from this, things which simply give XP do not.

anberu
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2010 November 12, 00:30:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having another issue. I've looked and haven't seen it mentioned. When my Sim moonlights as a mixologist, although there is a popup saying X amount was earned, that amount is not added to household funds.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: