More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 02:02:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Can't save sim from burning home. Anyone up for BBQ?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can't save sim from burning home. Anyone up for BBQ?  (Read 6367 times)
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
Can't save sim from burning home. Anyone up for BBQ?
« on: 2010 August 03, 21:36:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ran into an annoying issue recently.  My firefighter was unable to break down the front door to a house.  He kept getting the "Can't get to it' bubble and stood there like a dummy.  It was probably because the front porch was only 1 by 2 tiles and there was no room for the animations.  This wasn't the problem; I simply chalk that up to a poorly designed house.  Said house also only had the one entrance.  The occupant has since been given notice that her home is a fire hazard and has added a second fire exit. 

The problem was that I was unable to teleport into the home using testingcheatsenabled and the standard cheat.  The option was available for any exterior location, but nowhere within the house.  I remember someone mentioning here that they had to teleport to get to fires in un-routable locations.  Is this is a new problem?  I'm wondering if it was because it is not possible to teleport into a sim's home without first being invited, or if this is similar to not being able to ‘Build on lot' during a catastrophe.  Either way, let it be a lesson to you to make sure your sim's homes are up to code.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
Re: Can't save sim from burning home. Anyone up for BBQ?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 August 03, 23:14:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh dear. Was that my starter house? If so I guess I'd better add a back door. Tongue

I haven't really played the fireman for any length of time. I find the new careers mostly tedious once the novety wears off and started a new game in another world. But if I have a chance to try the teleport thing I'll let you know what I experience.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 August 03, 23:52:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it wasn't your house.  The house of yours that I added to my world has a 2 by 4 tiled front porch and you have a back door, although that back porch is only 1 tile.  BTW the world is done, I'm just playing one more night with it to make sure I haven't missed any major issues that the new world editor can't fix.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 August 04, 00:19:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Must say I haven't encountered that problem yet, and been playing the firefighter a fair bit.  Was it a custom house or an EAxis one?

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 August 04, 01:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Must say I haven't encountered that problem yet, and been playing the firefighter a fair bit.  Was it a custom house or an EAxis one?

It was a custom house.  I can't remember where I acquired it from.  The porch was arranged so that there was one tile between the door and a railing.  I think 2 tiles are required for the kicking the door in animation, but I could be wrong.

Maybe the door was turned the wrong way.  Do you think that would make a difference?  
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010 August 04, 02:43:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

doors can be knocked down from any direction.

Did you think maybe it was the direction because of how window fires work? It really annoys me that window fires go a certain direction, instead of being able to understand which side is inside and which is outside.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 August 04, 21:55:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it wasn't your house.  The house of yours that I added to my world has a 2 by 4 tiled front porch and you have a back door, although that back porch is only 1 tile.  BTW the world is done, I'm just playing one more night with it to make sure I haven't missed any major issues that the new world editor can't fix.

Good! I made several versions of that house so I couldn't remember whether the one I posted here had a back door, lol. I am downloading the new version of Fargo as I type; looking forward to trying it out.

You've got me wondering now about all the mechanics of playing a fire fighter (I played one early on, but only up to level 2 in Twinbrook) so I'm really going to have to play another one - maybe I'll do that in Fargo. It would be a good way to check out the new layout.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 August 05, 00:41:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Must say I haven't encountered that problem yet, and been playing the firefighter a fair bit.  Was it a custom house or an EAxis one?

It was a custom house.  I can't remember where I acquired it from.  The porch was arranged so that there was one tile between the door and a railing.  I think 2 tiles are required for the kicking the door in animation, but I could be wrong.

Maybe the door was turned the wrong way.  Do you think that would make a difference?  

I doubt the door direction makes a difference.  Not having enough space for the animations sounds like a possible cause.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 August 05, 01:12:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You've got me wondering now about all the mechanics of playing a fire fighter (I played one early on, but only up to level 2 in Twinbrook) so I'm really going to have to play another one - maybe I'll do that in Fargo. It would be a good way to check out the new layout.

My husband had a gnome invasion while playing the firefighter, last night.  It was hilarious.  The gnomes stand there and shout obscenities at you while you try to catch them.  They disappear as you grab.  You can kick them over before you take them.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 August 05, 04:07:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would almost be worth the random fires that come with enabling the firefighter career. Almost. My second incarnation of Abelline (unfortunately defunct as I have a corrupt sim lurking somewhere and I'm sick of trying to find them) featured an antisocial crazy inventor with an adopted daughter, a robot daughter, and at least three of each type of magic gnome.

Most of my houses have 1x2 porches. They are pretty much all you can fit on the tiny lots I prefer, but they do occasionally cause routing issues if too much is going on in the itty front yard when a guest comes over. It's quite likely that the animation simply didn't have room to run.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: