More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 13:55:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Pudding Factory
| | |-+  Where to find GOOD custom worlds?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Where to find GOOD custom worlds?  (Read 159295 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Where to find GOOD custom worlds?
« Reply #75 on: 2010 October 06, 18:14:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good god, the drama in this thread is simply palpable.

That said, I do like the look of that Old Town remake. I just wish the lots included weren't so blah.
Sims 1 was blah, lot wise. I do like the terrain, though, and if I hadn't been 90% done with my latest project, I would have scrapped it and just went with the Old Town remake.

This is my current project, Chesterfield. I still have to finish off all the community lots and build all but one of the residentials, so it will be a long time before it is done.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2010 October 06, 18:54:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking really good, Zaz.  I like the fog in the last pic.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2010 October 08, 20:47:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing is, the old town LOOKS salvageable, but it isnt.

They put sidewalks. Everywhere. Around every fucking lot. So you can't customize the area at all, you're stuck with the lot sizes (the extremely, extremely unconventional lot sizes) they used to begin with.

The downtown is laid out as if they didn't spend even half a minute thinking about it and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010 October 10, 06:28:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unconventional lot sizes stop you from being a lazy ass and downloading creepy-doll infested lots off the Exchange.

Looking at the photos, I mostly see the sidewalk-encased lots in the downtown area, where you would expect to see that sort of thing. Of course, I haven't downloaded it and I'm only going off photos, but I see many large lots (or fucking ginormous wastes of space to me) with no sidewalk around.  As for downtown, it's definitely not to my taste (I'd be sledgehammering the whole section), but seems similar to the default 'hoods. It's certainly not a glorified square like that one creature churns out weekly.

I'd tell you to just go create your own world because you'll find ample opportunity to bitch about anything non-EA and, despite your brother-fucking obsessions, you actually do have some laudable creative skills. But, we know how scary CAW is for you, with it being all system-intensive and stuff.

*Any extra bitchiness can be explained by frustration from spending the last 20 minutes trying to make a driveway on a smooth 35 degree decline with the piece of crap excuse for terrain elevation tools we have in-game. Also, see: Shouty Vole.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2010 October 10, 07:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Conventional lot sizes also render everything you build there and everything you've previously built completely unusable. It is EVIL, much like NON-FLAT EDGES.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: 2010 October 10, 15:27:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whatever. It's a legitimate complaint. The downtown looks like shit, they didn't think about the placement of the actual lots at all, and because they loaded it with sidewalks there's barely anything you can do about it unless you absolutely love going around building stupid sized lots from scratch with no room for non-hideous rabbit hole lots.
Shazaam
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010 October 14, 03:35:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Champ Les Sims Deluxe

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3218005#
Menchii
Asinine Airhead

Standing Kitteh!!

View Profile
Huge World With Tons of People
« Reply #82 on: 2010 October 16, 02:20:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been looking for a massive world.  One that feels like a big city.  Like Detriot or New York.  I mean tons of buildings and tons of people.  I hate going outside and seeing the same shmucks day in and day out.  How about a huge place where you see new people everyday?  Or a place that isn't deserted at night.  If I go out after dark and all the people are sleeping and no one is outside.  Show me a big city!!   

And, you know, rude, mean people want a place to call home, too. There are plenty of sugary nice places already. This ain't one of them.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2010 October 16, 03:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game doesn't know how to handle too many sims, so you're likely not going to find a world populated with so many that you "meet someone new every night". And places are deserted at night because that's how the game is set up, sims go to bed at night and there's no lots that are set to be populated in particular at night. A custom world won't change that.
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010 October 16, 14:38:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game doesn't know how to handle too many sims, so you're likely not going to find a world populated with so many that you "meet someone new every night". And places are deserted at night because that's how the game is set up, sims go to bed at night and there's no lots that are set to be populated in particular at night. A custom world won't change that.
Hopefully that'll change with the new L&P.  Although it would be particularly hilarious if EA forgot to make sure their nightspots are populated.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010 October 16, 15:12:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hopefully that'll change with the new L&P.  Although it would be particularly hilarious if EA forgot to make sure their nightspots are populated.

Yes, I can see it now. The hottest places in town - empty by 9PM.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: 2010 October 16, 16:42:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can, however, mod the game so that places are populated at night. If you want your town population of all ages to freaking love hanging out at the park at night, I'm pretty sure there are values you can change to get that to happen.
ascarrott
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2010 October 16, 17:14:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can, however, mod the game so that places are populated at night. If you want your town population of all ages to freaking love hanging out at the park at night, I'm pretty sure there are values you can change to get that to happen.

There is a mod made by Shimrod101 that sort of does this here: http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.php?topic=3954.0
Noclue
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2010 October 16, 17:50:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This one loads fast, hasn't crashed, as yet, and has small lots. Of course it needs small houses and some sims.  It plays well for me but is limited in space. 

http://simscrossing.blogspot.com/search/label/Worlds 

Menchii
Asinine Airhead

Standing Kitteh!!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2010 October 17, 14:32:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if I put down a ton of really tiny houses and say populated them with AM or just dumped the max limit of sims inside each one would my game explode into a bfbvfs?

There is a mod made by Shimrod101 that sort of does this here: http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.php?topic=3954.0

I will look at that mod and see how he did it.  I can probably convert it into making sims come out at night and during the day.  Shimrod101 mentioned some of the values he changed.  It will just take a little tweaking. 

And, you know, rude, mean people want a place to call home, too. There are plenty of sugary nice places already. This ain't one of them.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2010 October 17, 16:55:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if I put down a ton of really tiny houses and say populated them with AM or just dumped the max limit of sims inside each one would my game explode into a bfbvfs?
It'll get slow and skippy. When this happens depends on your system, and most likely how much cc you use. I use a shitload. I'm perfectly safe at around 140 sims, so I set AM to a limit of 120.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Menchii
Asinine Airhead

Standing Kitteh!!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2010 October 17, 17:30:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That number is a lot higher than I thought.  I have all the store content installed and hardly any cc.  Got a quad-core processor, 4 gigs of ram, Windows 7 Ultimate and a 512meg video card.  Lacking ram on the video card.  Should upgrade sometime.  Thanks Zazazu.  I will experiment with how many sims I can cram into my hood until my computer has a heart attack.

Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2010 October 17, 18:59:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will look at that mod and see how he did it.  I can probably convert it into making sims come out at night and during the day.  Shimrod101 mentioned some of the values he changed.  It will just take a little tweaking. 

I've got that mod running in my game, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The town is still largely deserted by 9PM except for a few stragglers.

I think at this stage it may be pointless playing around with this mod until the next base game patch is out (probably a couple of weeks from now, going on EA's past record). If EA's messed around with the code to get more sims out at night (especially vampires), then it could be a wasted effort.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
Menchii
Asinine Airhead

Standing Kitteh!!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2010 October 17, 19:39:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True.  I might just leave it alone for now.  I keep forgetting there is a new L&P coming up. 

daisylee
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2010 October 21, 16:23:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zazazu, that is great fog in the last pic. What effect did you use with the fog emitters to get that? I have tried the spirit fog and the graveyard fog and so far can only get ground fog.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2010 October 21, 17:10:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just normal fog, no options. I put a crapload in, though. There are perhaps 15 fog emitters along the coast (in the water) and ten or so on land in that lower section, which is going to be the lower-income section. I'm still finishing the mid-to-high income sections around downtown and the one cul-de-sac, then have the more rural homes to do before I get to that portion.

The fog doesn't work as well as I had wanted it to. That coast is awfully close to the end of the world, as it is, and I wanted the fog to make the lighthouse appear to be further out than it is since I couldn't place it back where I wanted. It still looks like it is where it is, but I guess the fog gives it purpose.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
daisylee
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2010 October 25, 00:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will try adding a heck of a lot more. As an existing hood that I made, I added 4 on each lot in my swamp area, but did not have as much of an effect as wanted. Shall throw more in and see what happens.

I also added a heck of a lot more trees to my hood in game. Do we know if they cluster automatically when added in game for an existing hood? My saves are longer, so wonder if I added too many, or if they only cluster when added in CAW?
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: 2010 October 27, 22:34:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks to the new EP I am trying to find worlds with a few larger lots - 64x64, but still having smaller lots for everyday houses.

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2010 October 27, 22:51:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe someone will create some night spot lots of a more manageable size.

Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: 2010 October 27, 23:49:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found all the lots enormous.

"Of two evils, choose the prettier."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: