More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:42:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Still planing with TS2 anyone ?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Still planing with TS2 anyone ?  (Read 44558 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Still planing with TS2 anyone ?
« Reply #25 on: 2010 June 07, 00:31:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're a glass half-full sort of a guy then?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010 June 07, 04:31:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was lucky enough to have a friend which borrowed loaned me TS3 and it was a good thing because after a week playing it, I got tired of it.  I could not get attach to any of those Sims and felt more like I was watching a show then being part of it which is what I like about TS2.

I still play TS2 almost daily and even created new hoods recently.  There are still many things I have not tried yet so the fun factor is still there for me and I have all the hacks I need to make it a great and fun experience.

I doubt I will ever reinstall TS3 unless it would be the base game with only one EP addition that would make it totally different, which is doubtful.  Even with mods, it seems to be a pain to manage and hard to keep a hood for a long time without it exploding into pieces.  And the process to install mods is way more complicated then in TS2.

I like my game simple to handle and not scratching my head all the time so it works properly

ETA:  Corrected to avoid causing more tooth ache
« Last Edit: 2010 June 07, 05:46:06 by MissDoh » Logged
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010 June 07, 05:30:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was lucky enough to have a friend which borrowed me TS3

Look, I'm not part of the grammar gestapo, but that makes my teeth ache.  A friend cannot borrow you anything, they can only loan you stuff.  Remember this or you may be hurt by an hysterical old lady with aching teeth and, trust me it won't be any fun.

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 2010 June 07, 06:13:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Odd, I read that as "a friend which who borrowed TS3 for me", in which case "borrowed me TS3" would actually be correct - but since the post was edited, that obviously wasn't what was meant.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

JerseyGirlOOOO
Retardo Lander

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010 June 07, 13:10:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My tolerance level must be really high today.  So I'm going to make a confession.  I DID try TS3.  Once, a few months ago.  I arred it, used a no-CD crack (I didn't feel like using the so-called "Awesome Mod"), but it just turned out to be a complete waste of disk space.  I didn't like the plastic skin, the fact that I couldn't see in the "rabbitholes," and just didn't like the overall look.  So I uninstalled and deleted the whole file.  World Adventures and High-End Loft Stuff do not interest me at all.  And neither does Ambitions.  I just really don't understand the appeal.  I'm not a big PC gamer to begin with, so maybe it's just that.

Never trust anyone.  Ever.  It will be the biggest mistake of your life.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2010 June 07, 13:36:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am playing TS3 these days, but for some reason I just can't get into building as much as I did with TS2. There's no logical reason for it that I can see. There aren't any missing tools that I want, I can't actually put my finger on anything from TS2 that would improve TS3's building, it just doesn't inspire me.

I suppose there's also the fact that TS3 houses don't really need much of anything. Beds, bathrooms, a kitchen. Done. Sims go off lot to skill and gain fun, and they could sleep, shower and eat off lot too. If uncontrolled households didn't need bed and kitchen facilities I likely wouldn't bother at all.

Since WA, I've taken to dumping sims in pre-made houses, slipping a basement under there whenever they needed more room, often with the stairs leading in from outside. Not exactly ideal construction.

As for TS1 vs TS2, there were definitely people who didn't immediately make the switch, we just didn't whinge about it on forums. I didn't get TS2 until NL was out, but I know I picked up TS1 before Livin' Large was released, those 10 little non-aging houses occupied me for hours. I thought it was amazing that Livin' Large added a whole nine other neighbourhoods of identical size and layout, one of them even partially occupied!
« Last Edit: 2010 June 07, 13:43:12 by Faizah » Logged

nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2010 June 07, 14:33:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play both of the games. I mostly play TS2 when I want to clown car, as TS2 handles it better. I really find myself missing certain aspects from TS3 while playing, though, like the open hood and the toddler books and the traits.

It seems that most of what people complain about with TS3 is how it's turned from a sandbox type game to a goal-oriented or quest game. Of course, you're not really forced to do any of those things, especially if you've already done it all once. I tend to have characters only complete the things that are fitting with their personalities. Like, I'm not gonna have a couch potato sim go be all athletic running all over the desert going through tombs. And the tee-totaling granny in my hood certainly won't be making or buying nectar during her trip to France!

I think that TS3 is better for story making, if you're into that sort of thing. I'd really love to combine the two games. I'd also like TS2 to not take 30 minutes to load when I want to play it. Tongue
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010 June 07, 15:32:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look, I'm not part of the grammar gestapo,

ONE OF US, ONE OF US

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Lum
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010 June 07, 15:58:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Still love TS2. I had to reinstall after a crash and took extraordinary measures to save my old neighborhoods. There's stuff in TS2 I still haven't done. Like, I'm only now just getting into plantsims and werewolves.

As for TS3, I hadn't played for months until I installed Ambitions. I'm trying to get into it, but I can tell I'll be bored of it soon enough.

What's more, I can't bring myself to care about my sims. I've reinstalled TS3 often and nuke neighborhoods all the time, without shedding a single tear. In TS2, I have an elaborate family tree going on strong since 2006 or so.

Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010 June 07, 16:09:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look, I'm not part of the grammar gestapo,

ONE OF US, ONE OF US
It's a brain washing thing.  I spent several years at a University that was bound and determined to make me into a High School English teacher despite my repeatedly explaining that my High School experiences had engendered a positive hatred for teenagers.  I escaped with a degree in pre-unemployment, but the training still kicks in every so often. 

I'm in therapy for it.

ritaxis
Blathering Buffoon

not nice

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010 June 08, 05:07:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have stayed with 2 for a bunch of reasons mostly boiling down to: I've invested all the money I can afford to and all the time I care to in the game I have: I like what I have: I'm still exploring what I have: and what I hear of the gameplay in 3 just doesn't sound like what I want to do.

But honestly -- I don't mind the Sims in Sims 3.  I wish they didn't all look so similar -- and do they have to?  It seems to me that a lot of people make the same Sims 2 Sims over and over also, but not as much -- but the way they look seems sort of attractive enough to me.  I'd like to have all those sliders.  I'd see what kind of Sims I could make. I'd like to give them some angles and a bonier look, but I like that the Sims 3 Sims have wider faces.  I might actually be able to make a Sim 3 Sim that looks anything like me.

Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2010 June 08, 07:05:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The sims don't have to all look the same, no. I've had a variety in my game, some deliberately odd, because I missed the aliens at first. I have pictures of a few up over on photobucket: http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p282/Lady_Faizah/TS3 (should be public) - I particularly like the triplets I had once in one game, as an example of diverse facial features, if nothing else. (Okay, the evil one amused me, but any evil-trait sim would amuse me.)

I still do miss my deliberately odd-looking TS2 sims, though. I know I can make freaky TS3 sims, but it's just not the same. I miss the noses the most, which is a weird thing to miss, but there it is.

Come to think of it, I don't even know why I play TS3. Things no longer failing to match (for the most part) is good? The traits, I like those. The age length slider was nice for a while, but I've been playing on default for ages. Tombs in WA are interesting the first time around? Okay, no, I can't come up with a good reason.

I suppose I'm half waiting for the next OFB: The expansion that seems utterly dull, but then turns out to be just what I never knew I wanted. WA had the first one down (another Vacations - I never liked the first two) but it did not deliver on the rest. In the meantime, at least everything matches. And sims can be evil.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2010 June 08, 14:00:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still playing Sims 2.  There's more to do and I had plans for all those Sims...  I'd say I know them all personnally if it wasn't so sad!  I'm working my way round the hood trying to get them all to the end of winter and making plans about what to do next.  I haven't got Sims 1 on this PC, but I've been thinking about installing it.  I've also bought more old games which shows I'm bored! (Guild 1, Emperor; rise of the middle Kingdom, Heroes of M&MV complete)

I am also playing Sims 3 - it's boring and frustrating, but not so bad with WA and Riverview added.  I was blown away by the look of WA even though the thought of tomb raiding Sims made me cringe.  There's a long list of things I don't like about it, but it's boring because I really don't care about any of the sims that came with the game or that I've created.  I guess it's the look of the sims and the houses and the fact their wants seem to flow in very narrow channels.  Do they ever through autonomous romance wants?  I like the fact you can move seamlessly around the 'hood, but hate the storymode idea.  I also hate the way the lack of elixir and permaplat status forces you to keep jumping through the same hoops.  Maybe it's the way I play. I'm looking around for other hoods to play and found a couple here which I'll install when I find a crack for the latest WA patch 2.7.7.  My usual place doesn't have one yet. 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010 June 08, 14:27:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also hate the way the lack of elixir and permaplat status forces you to keep jumping through the same hoops.
Elixir exists, it's called Ambrosia and is a product of the fishing and gardening skills, although it's also an exportable product. There's no "permaplat" in TS3 because TS3 doesn't operate based on aspiration levels and sims aren't constantly having wild mood swings because mood is no longer directly tied to micro-motive state.

Maybe it's the way I play. I'm looking around for other hoods to play and found a couple here which I'll install when I find a crack for the latest WA patch 2.7.7.  My usual place doesn't have one yet.
Don't need a crack for TS3, that just adds unnecessary complication. Various NoCD packages already exist.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2010 June 08, 14:58:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Elixir exists, it's called Ambrosia and is a product of the fishing and gardening skills, although it's also an exportable product.
To get Ambrosia some sim in every household you play has to get seriously into fishing and gardening.  I find both of those very time consuming and repetitive.  And anyway I don't want every household to be gardeners and fishermen!  They're all too alike anyway.  OK maybe Elixir made eternal life too easy, but Ambrosia is too far in the other direction.

There's no "permaplat" in TS3 because TS3 doesn't operate based on aspiration levels and sims aren't constantly having wild mood swings because mood is no longer directly tied to micro-motive state.
I find my sims have bigger mood swings than in TS2.  I find it harder to keep them happy.  You have to chase after moodlets as well as managing needs and satisfying wishes.  When you've been playing a sim for a very long time, it is nice to be able to do what you want to do without micro-managing.  OK, permaplat was too easy to get, but this is too far the other way.

Don't need a crack for TS3, that just adds unnecessary complication. Various NoCD packages already exist.
Oops - I meant a noCD package. I'm wary of picking one up from a site I don't know.  I can wait - there's nothing I'm burning to do in Sims 3.

BTW - the sim I had most fun creating was a Nigerian hacker....  I stuck him on an empty lot and gave him the lots of money wish.  I tweaked the traits a few times; I think the last version was an evil, mean spirited family man as well as a computer whiz.

PS I haven't forgotten I promised you a contribution to the Community - just haven't done it yet.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2010 June 08, 15:25:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops - I meant a noCD package. I'm wary of picking one up from a site I don't know.  I can wait - there's nothing I'm burning to do in Sims 3.

There is a NoCD as part of AwesomeMod (or at least there was the last time I downloaded it, which, granted, was back in the stone age of the Horror).

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 2010 June 08, 15:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah - I confess, I'm not using the awesomemod.

Rufio- I went looking for an update of Simsheet.  The last post on the thread is December saying there's a new version, but the file link in the first post is for version 5 dated June.  Is that the latest?

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010 June 08, 15:45:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, since this thread is open, and I mentioned earlier I am hella rusty, can anyone please tell me what the best tack to take with patching is? I got almost the whole shebang from Pirate Bay (most EPs and SPs) and I started playing and realized I probably need patches? Or should these versions be patched already? If so it looks like I have bigger problems, because I have the "sims cannot go to work" issue (action drops out of queue). I may need to reinstall, I dunno.

I got this one: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5524635/The_Sims_2__The_Complete_Collection_%5BFULL%5D___Games4theworld__

Thanks. I haven't done anything with TS2 for 18 months so it's fuzzy.

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2010 June 08, 17:12:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rufio- I went looking for an update of Simsheet.  The last post on the thread is December saying there's a new version, but the file link in the first post is for version 5 dated June.  Is that the latest?

The one that's there is the latest (the exe is actually dated in February...), though I notice that all my snapdrive images are gone again.  I've been meaning to fix some bugs that I've found since then, but I got distracted by another project.  I'm at a lull right now, though, so I'll probably go back to it soon.

ETA: Assmitten, IIRC you need to patch every single EP.  Supposedly it's better to have the original exe (and not the crack) in the relevant place when you do so, but I overwrote the original exe with the crack and I didn't have any trouble.

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010 June 08, 17:36:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA: Assmitten, IIRC you need to patch every single EP.  Supposedly it's better to have the original exe (and not the crack) in the relevant place when you do so, but I overwrote the original exe with the crack and I didn't have any trouble.

Thanks mang. I will give this a try. I was running off the FT crack, but left the original one in place and renamed it.

Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010 June 14, 07:28:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And, IMO, the design tool is overrated. It made creating a house incredibly tediously slow, although it is fun if you're in a particularly creative mood.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I've given TS3 several tries (I'm halfheartedly poking around in it again nowadays, but it still fails to capture my attention) but I just can't seem to get into it. TS2 however is something I always come back to. I tend to play in cycles, with frenzied playing being followed by months where I don't touch the game at all and do other stuff, but that's more to do with my attentionspan than the game. Considering how much I still play TS2, it's actually been a better investment than most games I buy, which get played through once or twice and then thrown into a box somewhere.
MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010 June 14, 08:56:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

there is another important things in which TS3 FAIL... the voices !
the sounds are important, because they interact with the player in a subliminal way, you can love or hate a character, just 'cause you like how his voice sound, and TS3 fail in this too  Angry
Mmmary
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Still playing with TS2 anyone ?
« Reply #47 on: 2010 June 14, 15:56:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried TS3 for about a week when it was first leaked, but it didn't immediately grab my interest like TS1 and TS2 did. I'm sticking with TS2 for the time being, possibly for good. Smiley I started my current neighbourhood in 2005 and it's still a huge work in progress. I play extremely slowly and like Lum, still have a ton of things I haven't tried.

I had thought I'd love the design tool on TS3, but it turned out to be extremely frustrating. I like building my own houses, but I guess part of the fun for me is matching up weird, useless Maxis wallpapers and floors with even weirder, useless Maxis furniture. TS3 has too much choice!

Also, while TS2 only has two bodytypes and four hair colours, I think TS3 sims still look more alike than TS2 sims. *shrug*
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010 June 15, 02:38:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To get Ambrosia some sim in every household you play has to get seriously into fishing and gardening.
Hardly. There are ways to mass-produce goods and distribute them about that AwesomeMod has made painless and easy. Once you have ONE group of sims capable of doing it, you pretty much have an unlimited supply.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Still playing with TS2 anyone ?
« Reply #49 on: 2010 June 15, 05:22:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had thought I'd love the design tool on TS3, but it turned out to be extremely frustrating. I like building my own houses, but I guess part of the fun for me is matching up weird, useless Maxis wallpapers and floors with even weirder, useless Maxis furniture. TS3 has too much choice!

QFT. The design tool makes it too hard to make a room look like a real room. In real life, if you design a red themed room, not every single piece of furniture is going to be the exact same shade of red. You have to go with what's available from the shops. Of course you can mix it up a little in TS3 too, but that requires a lot more work. It's a lot easier to just reuse the same colour, like what was advertised before TS3 came out (camo EVERYTHING!!!). So, yeah, the design tool is just too much for me. I like to decorate but I can't be bothered spending an hour on a single room trying to make the colours appear random and realistic. With TS2, I just grab some furniture in a slightly matching colour and plop it down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: