More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:54:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch  (Read 47255 times)
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch
« Reply #50 on: 2010 June 02, 22:30:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Drakron, it doesn't have any of the SecuROM files with the disk version, I've checked the registry numerous times. They're also required to disclose SecuROM up front these days, it's part of the legal settlement they made with the class action.

I know, EA realized what a bad idea it was the use of online activation and limited activations when everyone bitched about it.

Of course I dont blame SecuROM itself but EA uses of it (Fallout 3 uses it but only the basic disk check, see many peoplecomplaining about it?)

I'd love a bit more information on what they intend to collect. Does anyone have a link to where this was discussed before the EP was launched?

You can read the log yourself as is in text format, it says a lot of things ... like what neighborhood are you playing, what items did you place, what commands you entered, your system specs and other fun private stuff.

And no, they did not told us they were about to start logging that info before ... even the patch notes make no reference to it and only to the added capability of streaming ads.

kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010 June 02, 22:50:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which file is it?

I've been searching my files since I learned about this.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010 June 02, 23:01:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims3Logs.xml

Its on my documents/TS3 folder.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010 June 02, 23:04:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's odd, on my machine it's a safari document and won't let me read it.

Edit: I opened it manually with Notepad. Kind of hard to make out, but it seems to track very random details, such as when my sim was hungry...          Luckily, it doesn't seem to track any details about downloads, or any other potentially harmful data.

I'm tempted to edit the file to display "Stop spying on me!", but I doubt it would get to them anyways.  
« Last Edit: 2010 June 02, 23:21:43 by parrot » Logged

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
Orlando
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010 June 02, 23:20:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some time ago when I installed Adobe Air for the EA launcher functions, my spidersenses tingled about why they needed to incorporate such a technology. Adobe is pretty vocal about its stance and policy on piracy and their flash player has pushed the envelope on unethical data-collection in my opinion.

Take for example:
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/antipiracy/prevention.html

markjs
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: 2010 June 02, 23:41:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I monitored a while and the addresse I found was only:
It sends and receive data from the ports 4077 and 5077;

Also, if you look at ARIN, NET-174-143-100-240-1 is registered to Electronic Arts (RSPC-1243881732254714).
Seems that the connection to port 4077 needs some specific parameters to return a file.

While port 5077 returns the following command line: "MessageId=951&MissingParam=MessageId", which is probably because I have not sent anything through TCP.

The connections happen when you start the game, and when you close it.

Though, while playing, it may collect other data, and send to another IP/port.

If anyone really want to find out exactly what is being sent/received it would need to check the game binary onto these addresses, hack into the server and take a look at the index at htdocs;
It may be they are sending more data than just what's on Sims3Logs.
Orlando
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010 June 02, 23:52:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting research. I was going to ask if that address could be added to peerblock but I don't run peerblock when I play.
 I took all connectivity options away for anything that appears EA in my firewall.
I used to close my firewall to free up ram and cpu but I won't to that anymore.
Could the tracking and sending be traced back to a service that I could disable in Vista?

If anyone does find the contents of one of these transmissions, pls do share the findings with us.

IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2010 June 03, 00:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A snippit of what it sends? Sure.

<Sims3Telemetry count="71">
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="19" eventStr="15"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="1" eventStr="Windows 7  6.1~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="1" eventStr="~.7600 "/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="16" eventStr="AuthenticAMD A~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="16" eventStr="~MD Athlon(tm)~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="16" eventStr="~ 64 Processor~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="16" eventStr="~ 3500+"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="17" eventStr="NVIDIA GeForce~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="17" eventStr="~ 7600 GS Vend~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="17" eventStr="~or: 10de, Dev~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="17" eventStr="~ice: 02e1, Bo~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="17" eventStr="~ard: a5423842~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="17" eventStr="~, Chipset: 00~"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="17" eventStr="~a2"/>
  <Event moduleId="1" groupId="18" eventStr="0.RL-2.0.104"/>
  <Event moduleId="0" groupId="0" eventStr="Twinbrook - Ca~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="12" eventStr="T:00:29:22.367~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="12" eventStr="~0000"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="12" eventStr="H:00:05:35.617~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="12" eventStr="~0000"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="13" eventStr="I:7"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="13" eventStr="D:0"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="8" eventStr="B:0"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="8" eventStr="D:0"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="8" eventStr="M:0"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="8" eventStr="S:0"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="8" eventStr="W:4780"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="8" eventStr="P:0"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="8" eventStr="S:0"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="9" eventStr="L:GhostHunter:3"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="11" eventStr="L:Logic:3"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="11" eventStr="L:Handiness:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:FreshClothin~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~g:7"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Smelly:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:DirtySurroun~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~dings:7"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:UnevenCookin~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~g:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:NicelyDecora~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~ted:4"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Lonely:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Fulfilled:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:PowerStudy:1~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~85"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:BeautifullyD~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~ecorated:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:CleanSheets:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:SqueakyClean~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Disgusted:58"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Sleepy:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:WellRested:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Hungry:4"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Desolate:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:EnjoyingMusi~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~c:4"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:HasToPee:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:FilthySurrou~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~ndings:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Comfy:6"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Tired:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Meal:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Amused:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Grungy:3"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:Decorated:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="B:VeryHungry:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="S:NewspaperDel~"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="~ivery:2"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="R:Hospital:1"/>
  <Event moduleId="4" groupId="10" eventStr="R:Restaurant:1"/></Sims3Telemetry>
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010 June 03, 01:03:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm using Windows Firewall (Win7) and I've just blocked outbound connection for TS3.exe, TS3EP01.exe, TS3SP01.exe, and TS3EP02.exe. Is it enough? Do I have to block the launcher and/or inbound connections too?
Orlando
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010 June 03, 02:23:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@bowrain: it can't hurt to block them, just remember what you blocked if you ever need to use the launcher for any reason. It is possible that current or future features require a connect of sorts to validate processes, I'd even say  it's likely.

@IAmTheRad: thanks for the snippet--I actually don't mind what info I can decypher from those strings, the problem is that, like you, I believe they may be sending other stuff and sharing with partners. This ad thing means they intend to collect and build marketing databases to push sales for the various demographic targets. In short, I smell a rat.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010 June 03, 02:47:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And no, they did not told us they were about to start logging that info before ... even the patch notes make no reference to it and only to the added capability of streaming ads.
They sort of did, that EULA that was quoted a bit back? I reinstalled about 2 months ago due to pure fail on my part I assume, just for the fuck of it I read the entire EULA, it did say that it would collect anonymous info and share it. This is not a new EULA with Ambitions. They don't have to mention it in any patches, you already agreed to it when you installed the game.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010 June 03, 08:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Tiny Personal Firewall, best firewall for personal use I've found yet. It runs great on WinXP, couldn't get it going on Vista. It's an older version with less fingers in every pie.

http://www.box.net/shared/2s0m1lf2yl

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010 June 03, 18:21:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the issue is more why they are doing it, and what, exactly, it is they're collecting.
How does that matter? Everything they can collect at that point is harmless in comparison to what they're already collecting. I see no alternative to analyzing the player's behaviour and feature usage to better tailor the product to the player. I think this is kind of a naive approach, though. Of course you have to give the players what they expect, but that alone will never satisfy them.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2010 June 03, 21:18:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the issue is more why they are doing it, and what, exactly, it is they're collecting.
How does that matter? Everything they can collect at that point is harmless in comparison to what they're already collecting.

Are you trying to ask an obvious question here? It matters because player information being collected in a less-than-forthcoming manner. I don't care what they're analyzing. EA has already shown that they have zero interest in their customers beyond profit. They managed to damage the computers of legitimately paying customers with Securom, and did they care? Not until there was a lawsuit.

The people whose information is being collected here won't be pirates, since most of them are smart enough to block the game from connecting to the internet. It's the people who paid for the game legally and blindly trust EA.

I see no alternative to analyzing the player's behaviour and feature usage to better tailor the product to the player.

Since, apparently, you did not read this the first time, I will say it again: anyone who trusts EA is an idiot. Just because other companies are able to collect information about their users anonymously and safely does not mean EA will.

I sing along with elevator music.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010 June 03, 23:36:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see no alternative to analyzing the player's behaviour and feature usage to better tailor the product to the player

If this were true, the game would be so much better than it is.  They want to know what people are interested in so they know what ads to try and shove down your throat when they activate the in game advertisements.

If they REALLY want to know about peoples playing habits to better tailor the game, all they would have to do is run an on-line survey asking people what they want.  It would be no more difficult to work through the results of an on-line survey than to sort through all the crap being "Anonymously" sent to them.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2010 June 05, 15:57:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you trying to ask an obvious question here? It matters because player information being collected in a less-than-forthcoming manner.
So if a guy beats you down and rapes you, can things really get worse if he asks you to take a peek in your wallet afterwards?

If this were true, the game would be so much better than it is.
Judging by the sims forums out there, TS3 is precisely what the majority of players want.
If they REALLY want to know about peoples playing habits to better tailor the game, all they would have to do is run an on-line survey asking people what they want.
Surveys are nowhere as conclusive as a code-generated analysis. That is a fact.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2010 June 05, 18:08:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if a guy beats you down and rapes you, can things really get worse if he asks you to take a peek in your wallet afterwards?

Jesus Christ, your response makes absolutely no sense. Are you taking the position that, because EA has already fucked over some of its users, it's okay if it goes ahead and fucks over the rest too?

Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2010 June 05, 18:36:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you taking the position that, because EA has already fucked over some of its users, it's okay if it goes ahead and fucks over the rest too?
You just don't get it, do you? When a user allows his game behavior getting logged, they already have all the most confidential data from this specific user they can get. For the users they already fuck, the optional data logging doesn't make the matter any more serious. For the users who don't let themselves getting fucked, it's no concern anyway.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2010 June 05, 19:05:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I'm getting the feeling that you're missing the point here. The issue is that they are logging player data and being extremely vague about it. If this thread didn't exist, how many people would even know it was happening? Nowhere on the official website is it covered, and the only mention of it in the game is buried in the EULA. The option is enabled by default when it loads, and nowhere in game does it specify what this data even consists of. When EA is intentionally cryptic about something, that should be a red flag to players.

Yes, the majority of MATYians are smart enough to keep the game from connecting to the internet. But by determining what it is that EA wants to log, this gives a us a better idea of where they are looking to go in the future. Saying, "well, some people are already screwed anyway" is irrelevant.

Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2010 June 05, 20:10:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your analogy not only makes zero sense, it is SUPER fucking offensive. Being raped is not the same as EA not doing what you want them to do. At WORST that's like paying a prostitute and getting no sex/bad sex for yo moneh.

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2010 June 05, 23:29:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I'm getting the feeling that you're missing the point here. The issue is that they are logging player data and being extremely vague about it. If this thread didn't exist, how many people would even know it was happening? Nowhere on the official website is it covered, and the only mention of it in the game is buried in the EULA. The option is enabled by default when it loads, and nowhere in game does it specify what this data even consists of. When EA is intentionally cryptic about something, that should be a red flag to players.

Yes, the majority of MATYians are smart enough to keep the game from connecting to the internet. But by determining what it is that EA wants to log, this gives a us a better idea of where they are looking to go in the future. Saying, "well, some people are already screwed anyway" is irrelevant.

If you're running an aar'd version it isn't automatically ticked by default. I saw all this before I installed my game and the first thing I did was go hunting for the option to turn it off (even though Sims is banned from internet connection on my PC anyways) and it was not enabled. Yet another reason to try before you buy. That said - I like Ambitions. I'm going to go out and pay for it. I'm just not going to register it or let it access the internet in any way.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2010 June 05, 23:54:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're running an aar'd version it isn't automatically ticked by default. I saw all this before I installed my game and the first thing I did was go hunting for the option to turn it off (even though Sims is banned from internet connection on my PC anyways) and it was not enabled. Yet another reason to try before you buy. That said - I like Ambitions. I'm going to go out and pay for it. I'm just not going to register it or let it access the internet in any way.

Nope, sorry, I have an Arr'd game and mine was ticked by default. Maybe it has to do with connection to the net at install? I didn't bother disconnecting before install, but kept an eye on my firewall.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2010 June 06, 00:21:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No idea why some are ticked at load up and some aren't. I'm running an ARR'd copy and disconnect from the internet when I play, yet it was ticked by default when I loaded it up.

Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2010 June 06, 01:03:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, interesting. I never disconnect my internet (well, not unless I'm really worried). I just trust my firewall and the fact that Sims is already banned. Maybe it has something to do with me forgetting to put in my no CD crack and getting a cannot verify report and having to go out, put in crack and reload.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2010 June 06, 02:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If they REALLY want to know about peoples playing habits to better tailor the game, all they would have to do is run an on-line survey asking people what they want.
Surveys are nowhere as conclusive as a code-generated analysis. That is a fact.

The code-generated data tells them what people do with the game now, it doesn't tell them what people WANT the game to do.  It tells them what objects and interactions people use now, not what objects and interactions they WANT.

I want spiral staircases, that we got in AL, and I want one turning left and one turning right.  How is my playing the game and sending code-generated data for analysis going to tell EAxis that is what I WANT in the game?  It doesn't because they don't exist to use.  The only way to get that information is through a survey asking people what they WANT.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: