More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 22:54:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch  (Read 47475 times)
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch
« on: 2010 June 01, 19:57:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was flipping through the options to see if there was anything odd, or new. There was something I did not expect.

There's an option titled 'data logging'.

I have only one opinion of this. EA is logging our activities. Thankfully you can disable the Data Logging, but I don't want EA to log my data. I recommend you disable it.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
Re: EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch
« Reply #1 on: 2010 June 01, 20:02:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone not using a program like Comodo to block any and all internet access to and from their installed non-online games is insane anyway.
Menaceman
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 June 01, 20:06:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess I'm insane then. I've never attempted to block internet access to a program before. I'll certainly be looking into it though if they choose to activate this in-game advertising. Oddly that bothers me more than the data logging.
FireDrake
Blathering Buffoon

It seems that they all died...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 June 01, 20:14:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where does one find the Data Logging option? I looked through the EA folder in the Documents folder and found an "Options" text document, but no Data Logging anything.

"Birds, flowers, sun...Hawaii does not exist. It's a myth...like tough liberals, or the Canadian army."
You should click on this.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010 June 01, 20:16:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where does one find the Data Logging option? I looked through the EA folder in the Documents folder and found an "Options" text document, but no Data Logging anything.

In the game options....

Roobs
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 June 01, 20:25:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I recall reading about this in some of the previews. Yeah, they want to harvest data on player's gameplay habits now.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 June 01, 20:38:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I recall reading about this in some of the previews. Yeah, they want to harvest data on player's gameplay habits now.

Wait, what? Do you have a link to this? Because although I block internet connection for TS3, that is still way fucking creepy.

I sing along with elevator music.
Roobs
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 June 01, 20:51:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I'll go through and see which one it was, but one of them definitely mentioned about "Data Logging" and how it can be toggled through the Options menu. It's definitely very creepy. Not surprising though.
BriarRosethorn
Asinine Airhead

Don't you type at me in that tone of voice!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 June 01, 20:57:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is a gross invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned, especially since they didn't warn us about that and ask our permission to log our data, first. They just did it. Most people wouldn't even realize their data was being logged and sent to EA if they didn't visit the Options panel in their game.

Will definitely be switching that off as soon as I get Ambitions.

KING LOUIS: I'm the King of France!
THE DOCTOR: Yeah? Well, I'm the Lord of Time.
The Doctor. More awesome than the King of France.
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 June 01, 20:58:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see the fuss. I've just applied the patch to my base game (no EPs yet), and Data Logging is disabled by default. You have to actually enable it yourself and the tooltip clearly states it sends anonymous data to EA.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
saraswati
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 June 01, 20:58:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's extremely creepy.

I also note the following with interest in the patch information.
   *Players who play The Sims 3 with game modifications can now create a folder in which to place their game modifications. The folder should be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourComputer\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods

*When Mods are placed in the official Mod folder, a notification will appear to remind players that Mods are installed.
    *Placing Mod packages into the Mod folder is an officially sanctioned way to bypass assembly signing verification. The Resource.cfg file must be placed in this folder in order for the modifications to work correctly.
    *When Mods are installed that are incompatible, the player will receive a message notifying them of the error.
    *Additional bug fixes to existing features

I wonder if they'll try to make AM incompatible?
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 June 01, 21:32:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

May be a tinfoil hat moment, but I am suspicious of anything that requires phoning home through my game. I cut off all internet activity while playing, and this data logging sounds like a way for EA to see what we have in our games and how we installed them.

Guess they are just protecting their investment since they got rid of SecuRom.

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
markjs
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2010 June 01, 22:00:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see the fuss. I've just applied the patch to my base game (no EPs yet), and Data Logging is disabled by default. You have to actually enable it yourself and the tooltip clearly states it sends anonymous data to EA.

That doesn't prove that it's still collecting data.

Any way or another, I already blocked the game from acessing the network in my firewall.
I am too lazy right now to smonitor my TCP/UDP data.
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 June 01, 22:44:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing is, this isn't actually new. I've just reinstalled the game for testing purposes, and during installation (pre-patch), I am asked if I want to share anonymous usage data with EA. Of course I clicked 'no', just as I've always done when I've reinstalled this game. The fact is, it's always been there. The difference now is, if you had inadvertently said yes, you now have a second chance on the option screen to opt out again. That option was never there before.

EDIT: I don't know if this option was ever there for the arred versions though. I've always used a legal copy.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 June 01, 22:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is a gross invasion of privacy as far as I'm concerned, especially since they didn't warn us about that and ask our permission to log our data, first.
It's probably in the EULA.  You agree to all sorts of fun things when you install a program.  Ask all the people with modified XBoxes who lost their consoles when Microsoft pushed the remote destruct button.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2010 June 01, 23:08:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This won't turn off for me. It doesnt save the setting when I accept.
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 June 01, 23:15:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't mind data logging if they told us what they actually logged.

It's not like Steam's hardware surveys, which are completely optional to participate in. Some games do log your activity (not counting MMOs. Those log you no matter what), but it's just like how long you've been playing or your computer specs.

If EA logs your content, what expansions you have installed, mods, or other computer settings, that's an invasion of privacy. However due to their EULA we can't do anything about it, except opt out (better opting out/in than making it mandatory)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 June 01, 23:21:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA has been installing spyware into Sims games for ages. Never allow it access to the Interwebs. Simple as that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
BriarRosethorn
Asinine Airhead

Don't you type at me in that tone of voice!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 June 01, 23:39:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I knew it wouldn't be long before I asked a stupid question on here, and here it is: how do you stop the game from accessing the Internet without stopping it from letting you know when you need to download a patch or whatnot?

KING LOUIS: I'm the King of France!
THE DOCTOR: Yeah? Well, I'm the Lord of Time.
The Doctor. More awesome than the King of France.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2010 June 02, 01:27:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

0 is false and 1 is true, right? I checked my options config file and it says 0 for EnableTelemetry, but hte game has it checkmarked anyway.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 June 02, 01:59:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have tinfoil hats for sale.

Instant gratification takes too long.
Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 June 02, 02:19:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I knew it wouldn't be long before I asked a stupid question on here, and here it is: how do you stop the game from accessing the Internet without stopping it from letting you know when you need to download a patch or whatnot?

You'll know you need to download a patch when you see a thread here about a new patch. These threads always contain a direct link to the patch. Keeping your launcher off the interwebs won't stop you from having a fully patched game.
missbonbon
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 June 02, 02:45:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

E.  IGA Worldwide Technology. This game incorporates dynamic advertisement serving technology offered by IGA Worldwide Inc. ("IGA Technology"), which enables advertising to be temporarily uploaded into the game on your PC or console, and replaced while you are online. IGA Technology only logs information that is needed to measure presentation of advertising, and to serve advertising to the appropriate geographic region and to the right location within the game. Logged data may include Internet Protocol Address ("IP Address"), in game location, length of time an advertisement was visible, size of the advertisements, and angle of view. The IP Address is deleted when the online game session ends.  Your game may be assigned an id number, which is stored on your PC or console, and used by IGA Technology to calculate the number of unique and repeat views of dynamic in game advertising. The id number is not associated with any personal data.  No logged information is used to personally identify you. This ad serving technology is integrated into the game; if you do not want to use this technology, do not play the game while connected to the Internet. For more information see our privacy policy at privacy.ea.com.

4.  Consent to Collection and Use of Data.  To facilitate the provision of software updates; dynamically served content including advertising; product support; and online services to you, you agree that EA and its affiliates may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (such as Internet Protocol Address and hardware identification), operating system, and application software and peripheral hardware, and non-personally identifiable game play and software usage statistics, without further notice to you.  EA and its affiliates may also use this information in the aggregate, in a form which does not personally identify you, to improve our products and services and we may share anonymous aggregate data with our third party service providers.

From the EULA. So they are pretty much not only collecting data, but will willingly share it with their partners.
Simius
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 June 02, 02:58:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I applied the ambitions expansion pack it was enabled by default.

Don't what it does or what it logs, but I turned it off.
Tingeling
Malodorous Moron

- Big Cat AIDE - and proud of it!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 June 02, 04:18:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, it is basically Securom only semi-visible?

- INTJ -
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: