More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 04:08:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Patch 1.11/2.6/3.2
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Patch 1.11/2.6/3.2  (Read 34126 times)
Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Patch 1.11/2.6/3.2
« Reply #25 on: 2010 April 14, 22:44:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've placed the Framework in each expansion and stuff folder and my game works now, Thank you

Clearly, you were not following that thread very well then. Having read it MULTIPLE TIMES (tm).

The stupid threshold has reached critical mass! Brain explosions imminent!
Grimmy
Asinine Airhead

Grim Tech

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2010 April 14, 23:05:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just glad it's working now
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010 April 15, 00:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As are we, so you can stop making these posts. Obviously, you did not follow the instructions post, and thus have no reason to be offended when people assume you're stupid.

I sing along with elevator music.
phnxflyng
Corpulent Cretin

Puny humans.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010 April 17, 01:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi folks. I've been out for about 2.5 weeks due to hospitalization (and yes, including that info was an attempt to trigger your mercy on me for being a peasant who knows nothing). I just want to be clear. If I want to dl the latest AM, I need to patch to 2.6 first?

Edit: Thanks, Witch!
« Last Edit: 2010 April 17, 01:55:12 by phnxflyng » Logged

INTP.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010 April 17, 01:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010 April 17, 02:16:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Honestly, this is getting beyond silly, with all the "I'm new here, please don't savage me" posts.

PROTIPS - Here's how it works n00bs:

If you post an intelligent question, demonstrating that you tried with some level of competence above that of a squashed banana to search the forum for the answer, but came up blank and so you are asking if someone might have the information you seek, then the long-time regular MATYzens will likely treat you with a certain level of (what passes for) kindness and technical questions will be answered.  Less "seasoned" MATYzens and random others will still savage you for sport.  You are not in a tame zone or a zoo.  This is the wilds.

If you make a reasonable post, just like in the scenario above, including the lack of a squashed banana, but include a cute "I'm new, hospitalized, demented, etc., please don't hurt me" post, you will likely be savaged first, and then we'll forget whatever question you actually came to ask.  It is so easy to get distracted.

Tribulatio proxima est
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010 April 17, 02:58:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whenever the n00bs roll over and show their bellies it makes me want to kick them. I wish they wouldn't do that, it's so fucking irritating.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
rampancy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010 April 17, 03:07:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Honestly, this is getting beyond silly, with all the "I'm new here, please don't savage me" posts

This is profoundly off-topic, but this sort of thing is going to happen as long as newer members get the impression that most of the responses to asking a question is going to be met with hostility, and that any problems along the line are solely based on the person in question being a blathering idiot. Posts from users acting like Grammar Red Lanterns doesn't help that perception.

Fundamentally, Awesomemod (compared to other drastic-game-changers) is significantly easier to screw up when installing, even for users that understand their systems. Granted, part of this is how unstable Sims 3 can be. Forum searches are always spotty at best, and how-to threads (I'm looking at you, How-To-Install-The-Framework Thread) are difficult to parse.

Random suggestion, has Pescado thought at all about an Awesomemod installer, complete with framework that installs everything to wherever it is supposed to be?

Aria: The way to get souls to the Karma Portals is with Karma Vehicles, which run on Karma Track and are dispatched from Karma Stations.
Jasper:  Well... that sure clears everything up.
Jeeves
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010 April 17, 03:39:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why bother? Is it really that difficult to copy files? Maybe someone without these most basic of computer skills should not be using AwesomeMod. Or a computer, for that matter.

Quote from: Asstear
6. Banned me from my own forum
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010 April 17, 04:02:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Honestly, this is getting beyond silly, with all the "I'm new here, please don't savage me" posts

This is profoundly off-topic, but this sort of thing is going to happen as long as newer members get the impression that most of the responses to asking a question is going to be met with hostility, and that any problems along the line are solely based on the person in question being a blathering idiot. Posts from users acting like Grammar Red Lanterns doesn't help that perception.

Fundamentally, Awesomemod (compared to other drastic-game-changers) is significantly easier to screw up when installing, even for users that understand their systems. Granted, part of this is how unstable Sims 3 can be. Forum searches are always spotty at best, and how-to threads (I'm looking at you, How-To-Install-The-Framework Thread) are difficult to parse.

Random suggestion, has Pescado thought at all about an Awesomemod installer, complete with framework that installs everything to wherever it is supposed to be?

Everyone responds MUCH BETTER to some sanctimonious white knight showing up to LEKTCHER about how MATYzens should behave on their own board. 

It's Pescado's board, Pescado's mod, and Pescado's rules of engagement.  There is a FAQ that 'splains about how to post and what not to post.  There is a SEARCH FUNCTION to help find information and to keep the forum from being spammed with constant "lulz ima 2 dum or 2 lazy 2 look this up so help meh" posts.

Awesomemod is easy to install, use, and update.  There are detailed instructions on working with Awesomemod.  If people aren't bright enough to follow instructions, they should probably stick to simpler mods or avoid modding their game at all.  This is not a hand-holding, feel-good club.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
rampancy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010 April 17, 04:25:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why bother? Is it really that difficult to copy files? Maybe someone without these most basic of computer skills should not be using AwesomeMod. Or a computer, for that matter.

The preamble to the How-To-Install-The-Framework thread states that there have been "many" people that have had trouble installing the framework; I simply suggested a method of reducing that problem. Do you have a problem with things being easy for people to do? Do you enjoy having to answer the same questions over and over again, because your opinion of Awesomemod's install difficulty level is not reflected in the amount of oft-repeated questions?

Everyone responds MUCH BETTER to some sanctimonious white knight showing up to lecture about how MATYzens should behave on their own board.

I did not intend to lecture, nor did I have any belief that my comments would spawn a forum-based version of Brightest Day. Someone commented that they were annoyed that newer posters were directly asking not to be savaged, and I pointed out that this assumption does not come out of thin air.

This is not a hand-holding, feel-good club.

Thus why newer posters regularly post along the lines of "please don't yell at me". Full circle.

Aria: The way to get souls to the Karma Portals is with Karma Vehicles, which run on Karma Track and are dispatched from Karma Stations.
Jeeves
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010 April 17, 04:41:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I simply suggested a method of reducing that problem.
If people would learn what that bar at the top labeled "Search:" is for, or even read the thread you cited (and actually following the instructions), an AwesomeMod installer would be useless. I already think it is, given that installing it is just copying files to the proper directories. I cannot find what is so hard about doing this correctly. Hell, there are step-by-step directions.

Do you enjoy having to answer the same questions over and over again [snip]
Again, if people would learn to use that bar labeled "Search:", or the link "Advanced Search", people wouldn't have to answer the same questions over and over again. Sadly, these elusive super-secret forum tools remain hidden to those that don't seem to see the top of the page.

rampancy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010 April 17, 09:01:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again, if people would learn to use that bar labeled "Search:", or the link "Advanced Search", people wouldn't have to answer the same questions over and over again.

Yes, they would. Forum searches (regardless of the specific forum software used) are inherently hit and miss affairs. For example, I did a few searches just now, and in each one of them, the first page of results for each search was dominated by posts chastising another user for not using the search to find it.

I cannot find what is so hard about doing this correctly. Hell, there are step-by-step directions.

As I've said before, I found the directions to be woefully unclear. Subjectively, Awesomemod is not difficult to install and maintain. Objectively, many people continue to have difficulty installing ahd maintaining Awesomemod. Wouldn't the only proper option be to deal with the objective nature of the situation, rather than a subjective, biased opinion?

wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010 April 17, 09:46:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What makes AM easier to screw up when installing than any other mod?  ALL mods and CC require the framework to be installed correctly to work.  AM does NOT require any special changes to the framework to make it work properly, when compared to other mods and CC.  

The reason the "how to install" thread may be difficult is because it was designed to accommodate all the different variables.  Things like someone saying the thread doesn't help them because they have the base game only and not WA, or they have HELS and not WA and the thread doesn't cover it, because they are too stupid to be able to read simple instructions then adapt them to different situations.  As an example, when HELS came out, people were complaining they could not get their mods and CC working.  Yet simple logic says after WA came out and it was revealed that the framework had to be expanded into WA, it would also have to be expanded into HELS, but alot of people never considered that until they were explicitly told to expand it into HELS.

People who have difficulty navigating through Windows and making/changing folders, etc. probably should consider not using mods with TS3.

Why should Pescado make an installer when Delphy already has one?

The reason the search function may throw alot of bad results is because the board has been inundated with all of these stupid "I can't get AM to work" posts, usually in a special thread all their own.  I have found many answers using the search function, and continue to find answers to problems that way.
« Last Edit: 2010 April 17, 13:08:55 by wizard_merlin » Logged

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010 April 17, 12:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again, if people would learn to use that bar labeled "Search:", or the link "Advanced Search", people wouldn't have to answer the same questions over and over again.

Yes, they would. Forum searches (regardless of the specific forum software used) are inherently hit and miss affairs. For example, I did a few searches just now, and in each one of them, the first page of results for each search was dominated by posts chastising another user for not using the search to find it.

This is a point, I think.  There are a number of indiscriminate sporkers around who will apparently spork any question at all, regardless of its real merit.  This clutters the boards with unhelpful stuff like the "USE SEARCH!!11" threads.  At the same time, we are building a rather nice library of threads in which people converse with 'tards, vote in polls about 'tards, complain about 'tards, and so forth.  These may be incredibly helpful to someone, if we can ever figure out what they're good for.  You take the good with the bad, I suppose.

Tribulatio proxima est
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010 April 17, 15:17:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is why moderators and a few selective bans would do wonders, the reason people act like fucktards is because they get away with it.

Its imageboard culture as you never punished by acting like a dick makes people act like dicks.
novelty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010 April 17, 15:28:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@rampancy

The directions to install the framework seem quite clear to me.  Most posts of "halp I suck don't hurt me" probably deserve to be ignored. Often the "imma lame" posts also give ZERO information allowing for any kind of troubleshooting or support. And most are like phnxflyng's post, I haven't tried anything on my own and I haven't tried to read about anything else that has or hasn't been tried.  That's the kind of shit that clogs up threads making it difficult to find useful information.  I finding it amusing that so many people think MATY is soooo mean!!!1!  They are probably the most helpful Sims community I have seen.  Especially if by helpful one means getting results.  Please, rampancy, quit clogging the technical threads with your opinions on the forum culture.  If you had read the FAQ thoroughly, you would have realized there is a more appropriate place to post your opinions.
newperson
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010 April 17, 19:01:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I simply do not understand what is so difficult about finding the instructions for installing Awesomemod.  It's labeled "How to Install the Framework and Awesomemod!"  It is amazing how many people refuse to read instructions and want someone to give them the information personally.  Please, you cannot use a computer without learning how to read; avail yourselves of remedial reading classes first and then return to the computer.  I am so tired of looking for information and having to sort through the whining to find it.  Like anyone with half a brain, I know that I must revisit the instructions if something I have done doesn't work.  Inevitably, in my haste, I have skipped a step.  Imagine, when I follow all of the steps, it works!  It's like magic!
Jeeves
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010 April 17, 19:32:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a perfect world, everyone would search for their answer before posting. Assuming everyone did this first, there would be no redundant threads, and thus no "SEARCH MOAR!!!1!!1" posts attached to them, making searching much more efficient. Call me crazy, but I've been under the impression that searching first was general forum etiquette and not just MATY specific. Only difference I really see is that forum etiquette breaking redundancies are followed with "Please use search next time, OK, Kitten?" instead of "LERN TO SERCH MOAR N00B!1!!" I favour the latter as it usually prevents that same person from refusing to search and cluttering the forums with another useless post* the next time they fail to read instructions, yet fails to prevent new users from doing it.

If you buy an entertainment center/desk/whatever else from Local Furniture Shoppe, are you going to throw away the building instructions and phone Local Furniture Shoppe demanding that they hold your hand through the entire process? The instructions may be somewhat difficult to follow at times (looking at you, IKEA) but they certainly are not something to curl up in a corner and cry about. In fact, if you did call Local Furniture Shoppe, I'm almost positive they'd give you their equivalent of "SEARCH MOAR" and ask if you read the instructions. If your answer was no, would they be willing to walk you through it? I know I wouldn't.

*There is no need to point out that I'm complaining about useless posts in what is essentially a useless post.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2010 April 17, 19:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last I knew the framework installation instructions have repeated steps as well as steps referring to steps which aren't actually there to be referred to, plus major context errors (referring to something as belonging "where you put the other file" when you've yet to be instructed to put a file anywhere, for example).

So when someone asks about it, they're kinda TOTALLY justified in that whoever wrote said instructions speaks english as a 3rd language and also is half retarded.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010 April 18, 15:13:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you sure that the instructions are not written deliberately to cause fail?  A MATY version of the Chinese finger puzzle?

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: 2010 April 18, 15:25:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe, but if that's the situation, then people have no right to bitch when instructions set to purposely be confusing confuse people.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010 April 18, 15:35:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a difference between someone needing clarification and someone who can't be bothered to search, and thus re-asks a question that has been answered definitively in clearly-labeled threads (I'm specifically looking at YOU, "MAH STORE ITEMS NO WERK!" people).  The latter deserve no relief from sporking.

As for Grammar Red Lanternism, if English is your first language, there is no excuse for ignoring basic English grammar and punctuation in your posts (Non-native English speakers do tend to get more leeway).  If some sort of standard isn't maintained, you are opening the door to people sparklefarting tardspeak all over the goddamn website, and no one wants that.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Jeeves
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010 April 18, 16:47:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just have to ask, has anyone complaining about framework/AwesomeMod install instructions actually read the thread? I just read through it; no repeated steps, no critical grammatical errors, clear step by step directions, tells you where to download what you need (except AwesomeMod, but one would think the thread with "AwesomeMod" and "Download" in the title in the same forum would be a hint). The only thing I can see that may be confusing is that it only states base game and WA, but how hard is it to figure out from the WA instructions what to do with HELS and future expansion packs?

Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010 April 18, 17:27:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last I knew the framework installation instructions have repeated steps as well as steps referring to steps which aren't actually there to be referred to, plus major context errors (referring to something as belonging "where you put the other file" when you've yet to be instructed to put a file anywhere, for example).

Can you point to specific step(s)? Because, having just read through it here, I don't see repeated steps or contextual errors. Some people might be thrown by the fact that it doesn't mention HELS, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

ETA: Damn. Guess I'm repeating Jeeves.  Tongue

I sing along with elevator music.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: