More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 09:36:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Pudding Factory
| | |-+  New World: Milton
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New World: Milton  (Read 26400 times)
Dyme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
New World: Milton
« on: 2010 January 24, 05:09:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used a lot of trees, effects and some bridges from WA. Milton includes a lot of large flat empty lots as well as a few houses I built myself. It has 2 parks, 1 pool, 1 gym, 1 library, and all jobs.  Grin

Download link - http://www.4shared.com/file/193791404/45f4ec8c/Milton.html
.world link - http://www.4shared.com/file/206417777/768ffb52/Edit_Milton.html
« Last Edit: 2010 January 24, 23:29:54 by Dyme » Logged
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: New World: Milton
« Reply #1 on: 2010 January 24, 05:27:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, are you just scared, or are you really a n00b who comes waltzing in to peddle your wares?  Needs more pictures, preferably of the entire hood.

Who be you?
Do we know you?
Do we like you?
Dyme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 January 24, 05:34:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ya, if by n00b you mean new account? I have downloaded from this site before. Made my account today and posted my creation. I should upload more pics, will in a bit. Deleted my account with EA cause I can't load crap onto their exchange.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 January 24, 05:52:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definitely needs some zoomed-out pictures, preferably displaying how many lots it has and what sizes they are.

I sing along with elevator music.
Dyme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 January 24, 06:15:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only took one picture of the lot sizes on the left side of town, it's the png, the ones on the road are large and the ones on the sidewalks are smaller. the ones on the right are smaller to, and roughly the same size, big enough for most lots to be placed. And here are a few more screenshots.

snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 24, 06:19:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So roughly, how many lots are we talking; since you refuse to provide all the pics, you know, like those of the right side of the road?
Dyme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 January 24, 06:26:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

86 lots total

21 - community

65 - residential
Alwayswatching
Asinine Airhead

Correlation does not imply Causality.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 January 24, 11:30:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The neighborhood looks pretty good, but the lot layout looks very unnatural. You could try spreading it out in smaller clusters, not making groups of lots with the same sizes, and make more standalone houses.

My inferiority complex is better than your inferiority complex!
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 January 24, 14:16:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No offense, but you did not give any information. Is this base-game compatible? If not, Some of us would appreciate it if you could try and make it so.

~ Condemnation without investigation is the peak of ignorance ~
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 January 24, 14:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The neighborhood looks pretty good, but the lot layout looks very unnatural. You could try spreading it out in smaller clusters, not making groups of lots with the same sizes, and make more standalone houses.
How does the layout look "unnatural"? It looks DENSE, maybe. Of course, lot layouts themselves are unnatural, being that buildings are a creation of man, and not nature...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 January 24, 14:58:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No offense, but you did not give any information. Is this base-game compatible? If not, Some of us would appreciate it if you could try and make it so.

Well, he does say that it uses WA bridges, which would suggest to me that it's not. It'll load up with just the base game, but like Zazazu's 'hood, all WA-specific objects will simply disappear. The problem in this case is that without the bridges, there could be a lot of routing issues.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
eforrest
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 January 24, 16:34:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would totally download and use this if the landscaping were just bit softer.  Too many plants in the water, and the tree placement seems to be a little...deliberate?  Otherwise, it's perfect.  Really.  I love the small-town feel.

Would you be willing to upload the .world files so that people who just want it for in-game use can tweak it?
« Last Edit: 2010 January 24, 16:58:13 by eforrest » Logged
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 January 24, 16:49:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lot placement is too condensed for the small-town feel you seem to be going for. Also, those trees are going to be a huge problem for slower systems. Even if you remembered to cluster. Terrain sculpting on the unpopulated area seems interesting and you have some lovely river action, but I can't really see it for all the laggy trees.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Alwayswatching
Asinine Airhead

Correlation does not imply Causality.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 January 24, 18:49:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How does the layout look "unnatural"? It looks DENSE, maybe. Of course, lot layouts themselves are unnatural, being that buildings are a creation of man, and not nature...

Haha, I knew someone would point this out. I meant unnatural as in it wouldn't occur in a real-life small town.

My inferiority complex is better than your inferiority complex!
Roobs
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 January 24, 20:00:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For snowbawl:

Dyme
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 January 24, 20:14:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you all very muck for the advice, it's true that I may have way overdone it with the trees, but I do like using many different types of trees as it gives a more earthy feel. I do agree that all the same lot sizes is kind of unrealistic... And I am in the process of making a better world though. I've decided to make an island world this time since I'm not happy that I could see the edges of my map even though I used the correct routing tools and spent a lot of time getting the edges of the map just so, I thought it would just fade out like Riverview but it didn't. Oh well. Sad But I have uploaded the Milton.world file for any one that is interested in editing it in CAW. Anyone is welcome to do what ever they want with it. Here's the link: http://www.4shared.com/file/206417777/768ffb52/Edit_Milton.html
« Last Edit: 2010 January 24, 23:29:01 by Dyme » Logged
eforrest
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 January 24, 20:30:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Dyme.  I'd like to work on it, if you don't mind, but only for my own use.  However, I will need the additional folder in order for me to tweak it in CAW.  The one containing the layers and lots.  Would you mind uploading those files?
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 January 24, 21:16:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this base-game compatible? (..)

Well, he does say that it uses WA bridges, which would suggest to me that it's not. It'll load up with just the base game (..)

Not necessarily. I'm base game, and haven't been able to use any worlds that were made with WA installed, no matter whether they use any objects from WA - even completely empty worlds that only have a few blank lots will work exactly once and then never again. I can use worlds that are made with the base game, so it seems to be the builder's game version and not the objects that are making the difference.
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 January 24, 22:43:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing I see that makes it look unnatural is the flatness of it.  It seems like the elevation of the hood would roll with the hills that surround it, or at least gradually level out to flat terrain in the center; the outskirts still retaining a slope that sweeps upwards into the hillsides.  I probably wouldn't notice it as much if there wasn't a such a sudden change in grass color.  That really makes it look like the hood was plopped down overnight. 

Overall, I don't think it looks bad or anything.  However, you seem open to constructive criticism, and this is one area where there might be room for improvement.
cassblonde
Exasperating Eyesore

Lazy Lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2010 January 25, 00:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For snowbawl:
**pic**

OMG! It's Sim City!!

I'm an apathetic sociopath, I'd kill you if I cared.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 January 25, 04:54:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, he does say that it uses WA bridges, which would suggest to me that it's not. It'll load up with just the base game, but like Zazazu's 'hood, all WA-specific objects will simply disappear. The problem in this case is that without the bridges, there could be a lot of routing issues.
The only bridges in the game are WA bridges. The Riverview viaducts aren't in Create-A-Crap, so without WA's bridges, you are stuck building only single-landmass maps.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
hussy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 January 25, 06:32:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is actually the type of layout I've been wanting. I might download it and check it out.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 January 26, 06:07:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For snowbawl:
**pic**

OMG! It's Sim City!!
Hah, it kind of reminds me of that, too! Incredibly straight lots on a terrain with trees in every available blank space. I was forever cheating into God mode to add trees in SC4.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Mops
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 February 04, 09:31:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much for this great neighborhood!  I really like very much the way you organized the placements of the lots. They arenotall located at at street, but also to smaller sideways.  It's my favourite now!!
tjstreak
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 February 10, 02:53:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The basic idea of the layout does not bother me.  It looks like many towns in the western United States (i.e. west of the Mississippi and east of California).  Most of these towns were laid out by the railroads when they came through (and a few by the Army), meaning that they are all built along a grid.  It reminds me a lot of a town I might see in Nebraska (Kansas is too flat.)  It's too lush for Wyoming or Montana or the Dakotas.  (Of course, east of the Mississippi, is very heavily forested comparatively speaking - so this could work for many places in Illinois, Indiana, and perhaps Ohio)

It does seem that a lot of the lots do not have a road next to them.  Years ago I had to deal with a subdivision designed by an incompetent developer who set it up so that some of the lots in the subdivision were not next to a road.  We had to replat the entire subdivision -- a major pain.  (The neighbors were not happy upon discoverying that there was an easement by necessity across their property!)

Also the main road though town should exit off of both ends of the map.  Most western towns are sited along major highways.  Those which are not tend to become ghost towns.

A western town is typically divided into blocks which would allow (on the average) four houses in one direction, with two in the other.  The lots tend to be very deep and an alley will run the long way down the block.  This becomes very apparent if you look at the plats for most western towns.  (Or just drive around one.)

I dislike the idea of doing another friggin island neighborhood.  Everyone is doing friggin islands as if most towns are built on islands.  I mean the smart town fathers build their towns on high ground -- not a friggin flood plain!  Islands are for vacations with the understanding that the whole thing will be washed away during the next hurricane.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: