More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:09:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  EA to block any and all Custom Content?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA to block any and all Custom Content?  (Read 15047 times)
DELETEACCOUNT
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
EA to block any and all Custom Content?
« on: 2010 January 19, 22:31:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DELETEACCOUNT
« Last Edit: 2012 June 05, 20:18:16 by DELETEACCOUNT » Logged
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Re: EA to block any and all Custom Content?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 January 19, 22:45:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know where this post should go for sure so I've posted it to a couple of places on here

Well, I guess that's a sort of good start.
* Inge puts kettle on...

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Mosquito
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 January 19, 23:49:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh rlly?

EA...BRING IT!

I guess the legacy of Will Wright is gone. Quote - In an interview with Celia Pearce in 2001. Will Wright said: "I think when I started doing games I really wanted to carry that to the next step, to the player, so that you give the player a tool so that they can create things… To really put the player in the design role. And the actual world is reactive to their design. "
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 January 19, 23:50:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's inevitable really. EA want you to play their damn game the damn way they damn tell you to damn play it.

When such a move occurs, Will Wright will die and spin in his grave.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 January 19, 23:52:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read the post you linked to. Lots of people have speculated that EA was attempting to thwart CC because it makes so much intuitive sense, but so far I don't think anyone has offered any real evidence of this. This guy at the forum talks about a "validation binary" but he doesn't state where he got his "facts" from. Yes, he mentions someone who work(ed?) for EA who he met at a party, but he doesn't specify what kinds of info he actually got from this person. And what exactly is the "big joke" at EA? The bugs? The challenge of "defeating" the modders? What??

He might be right, who knows, but it's a very unclear and unsubstantiated message, if you ask me. And I almost never run the sims while connected to the Internet and I use the no CD option to start the game, which others could do too, so surely if they try to make it mandatory to stay patched it won't affect the player unless they choose to let it. I was even able to install all the new store items by compressing the files and using the 3viewer, and the game runs (mostly) fine and the files show up in game.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 20, 00:48:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Based on the fact that this poster's arguments are predicated on statements that AREN'T ACTUALLY TRUE, as the events he describe NEVER HAPPENED, I'm going to dismiss this as tinfoil hat.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
chann
Corpulent Cretin

TS3: an "eye-opening tour de farce" (sic)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2010 January 20, 00:51:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read the post you linked to. Lots of people have speculated that EA was attempting to thwart CC because it makes so much intuitive sense, but so far I don't think anyone has offered any real evidence of this. This guy at the forum talks about a "validation binary" but he doesn't state where he got his "facts" from. Yes, he mentions someone who work(ed?) for EA who he met at a party, but he doesn't specify what kinds of info he actually got from this person. And what exactly is the "big joke" at EA? The bugs? The challenge of "defeating" the modders? What??

He might be right, who knows, but it's a very unclear and unsubstantiated message, if you ask me. And I almost never run the sims while connected to the Internet and I use the no CD option to start the game, which others could do too, so surely if they try to make it mandatory to stay patched it won't affect the player unless they choose to let it. I was even able to install all the new store items by compressing the files and using the 3viewer, and the game runs (mostly) fine and the files show up in game.

Exactly. I don't put much stock in vague rumours and speculation from an unknown poster and his friend of a friend. There's this general trend to attribute malevolence to completely sensible moves by EA. People said that because of the limited core files they were trying to eliminate modding, without considering the possibility that it was just more practical for them to develop this way. EA breaks custom Sims3Packs, and people cry that they're trying to stop their use for CC distribution. Wrong, they were purely trying to protect Store content and their bottom line by implementing a new shop mode.

Besides you can never really eradicate a modding community if the demand is high enough. The best you can do is run them underground.
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 January 20, 01:48:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They are going to make the game and patching mandatory to run the game, so that any custom content must be bought from EA, smart business profits, dumb for the developing community. Which means, if you run the Sims3 and are conected to the internet, you will get a notice that the game needs to be patched or it will not launch.
That doesn't even make sense, and has nothing to do with custom content that I can see.  The game is necessary for running the game?  Well, yeah.  Patching is mandatory for running the game?  Meh, annoying maybe, but patches pretty much become mandatory anyway if you want to install EPs or updated mods. 

But it doesn't automatically follow that if having TS3 and patching it are necessary to run TS3, then all supplemental content must be bought from EA.  Unless this person means the patch that broke Sims3pack files has somehow disabled all non-EA content, which it obviously has not.

Unfortaunate side effect was that any games that had mods or pirated software, awsomemod, a borrowed or shared texture or anything downloaded from a community site messed up a good previously working game.
Mess up the game?  I did not notice this happen.  I thought all that happened was the game stopped reading Sims3packs, so some previously installed content disappeared. 
Baarogue
Asinine Airhead

has appeared!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 January 20, 03:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read it as either incredible conspiracy theorizing, or a carefully crafted troll. I especially liked the, "It's in their right to do so, read your EULA," bit. That's a red cape waved at the community if I ever saw one.

Besides, even if EA attempted to disallow all CC, they'd fail. Every time they've hindered the modding community, whether intentional or not, it has resulted in the community coders becoming even more knowledgeable about the workings. Just look at the recent hurdle and the resultant .package merging technology advancements.

As Tycho of Penny-Arcade said, "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 January 20, 03:49:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortaunate side effect was that any games that had mods or pirated software, awsomemod, a borrowed or shared texture or anything downloaded from a community site messed up a good previously working game.
Mess up the game?  I did not notice this happen.  I thought all that happened was the game stopped reading Sims3packs, so some previously installed content disappeared. 
Precisely. Since most cc creators distributed in .package form, very little cc was affected. The few that used Sims3packs were the paysites AFAIK. As I stated before, all this fear-mongering about EA being against cc tastes metallic. More likely, the changes in the 1.8 patch were an attempt to curtail the effectiveness of pirated Sims3pack Store items, which it did...for awhile. Within three to four days, MATY members (not me) had figured out how to get previously pirated Store items to work and a day or two later had figured out future Store content installation.

Considering that EA's last few Sims titles have been leaked on pirate sites up to a week before release, the patch was a stellar example of piracy prevention, actually taking a few days to crack. I'm sure they are super proud of themselves.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 January 20, 03:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What, 3 to 4 days? Try 3 to 4 minutes. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 January 20, 04:00:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but you didn't share. You just hinted at witchcraft and smirked about your superiority, as if we weren't already aware of it.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 January 20, 04:05:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but you didn't share. You just hinted at witchcraft and smirked about your superiority, as if we weren't already aware of it.
Actually, I did, but as a non-grahian, you were unworthy.

AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 January 20, 15:01:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for clearing that up everyone.  The consensus is that it is scaremongering.  Oh and Pescado, what is a 'non-grahian'?

On a related note... (save an ellipse) I am most definitely not awesome, but, I want to beable be able to use the store content that MistyK posts.  Is this:

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17746.0.html

The post I should follow to do so? I.E. Use Delphy's Sims 3 Pack Multi-Extracter to extract the store files then S3OC to combine the resulting files into one big file?

Or is someone maintaining a combined Store Stuff .package that can be downloaded?

Another mistake and I will really! Meh. Not worth the frustration. Please be careful next time.

Plus, the shape of your post is really ugly.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 20, 15:07:20 by AloeOwl » Logged

~ Condemnation without investigation is the peak of ignorance ~
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 January 20, 15:28:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for clearing that up everyone.  The consensus is that it is scaremongering.  Oh and Pescado, what is a 'non-grahian'?
Grah is the MATY IRC, which has a lower response-loop delay than the forum due to being in real-time. As such it is more effective at addressing "now" issues.

Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2010 January 20, 15:37:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

... (save an ellipse)

Should've been save an ellipsis, or more properly you should've pointed out the points of ellipsis used by the OP were deployed to no purpose because there was no apparent phrase omitted from the the original sentence. An ellipse is a mathematical curve.

Thanks for clearing that up everyone.  The consensus is that it is scaremongering.  Oh and Pescado, what is a 'non-grahian'?
Grah is the MATY IRC, which has a lower response-loop delay than the forum due to being in real-time. As such it is more effective at addressing "now" issues.

Grah is also filled with Senatorial cliquishness and hanging out there in the hope of getting first dibs on exclusive new shinies can be as tedious as listening to a Country & Western radio station in the hope of hearing something musically challenging.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2010 January 20, 16:52:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another mistake and I will really! Meh. Not worth the frustration. Please be careful next time.

If you are going to criticise, at least get it right.  There should not have been a capital T for "the" because it was not a new sentence.  She formatted it like that to fit the link all on one line.  IMHO posts about technical matters are better laid out clearly than strictly as prose, so please relax your sphincter.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 January 20, 17:34:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grah is also filled with Senatorial cliquishness and hanging out there in the hope of getting first dibs on exclusive new shinies can be as tedious as listening to a Country & Western radio station in the hope of hearing something musically challenging.
You're kidding, right? Grah isn't about cliques at all. Usually, though, the time is passed playing random other-games that have limited interest to Mirellys, and occasionally used for shiny-tests. Most importantly, it is not about Senate cliques, but about amusing me. However, amusing me has a rather antitransitive relationship: If B amuses A, and C pisses off B, then C also amuses A. For is it not written, "MOAR FIGHT!"? In this regard, MATY is not prone to cliqueness, because I am more amused by vehement opposition to, say, Glinda, than trying to join the "clique".

AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 January 20, 19:48:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you are going to criticise, at least get it right.  There should not have been a capital T for "the" because it was not a new sentence.  She formatted it like that to fit the link all on one line.  IMHO posts about technical matters are better laid out clearly than strictly as prose, so please relax your sphincter.

Exactly my point: "Plus, the shape of your post is really ugly."
It doesn't really matter anyway.

Oh tickleonthetum, I know exactly what you meant by the "3 dots" but they aren't really appreciated here (for some reason, "I" don't have a problem with them) and are consider to represent "omitted words". Undecided

EDIT:

Where I live all people say "sumit tha mattah?"  instead of "Is something the matter?"

Well that explains it.

~ Condemnation without investigation is the peak of ignorance ~
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 January 20, 20:30:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It occurs to me that you must take pride in being a dumbfuck.  There simply can be no other explanation for your idiocy, stupidowl.
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 January 20, 21:23:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't really matter anyway...for some reason, "I" don't have a problem with them
If it doesn't matter, or if you don't have a problem with it, why go out of your way to point it out?  In case you haven't noticed, a lot of people on MATY don't point out spelling and grammar mistakes, letting the grammar police do so instead.  You're not one of them, and your failed attempts to fit in help cloud the credibility of those who actually know what they're doing.  The fact that you've had people correct your corrections should be a sign that it's time to quit. Unless, like Snowbawl said, you take pride in being a dumbfuck.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 20, 21:44:11 by Dragon Slave » Logged
Trystiane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 January 20, 22:16:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, more ellipsis supporters, long live the ...

Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.
--Marx
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 January 20, 23:25:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is ridiculous nonsense of the type promulgated by the Preacher who also never hangs out in #grah. At this very moment, there are some 30 people in #grah, 9 of whom are currently senators (or Pescados), and everyone in there hates at least one senator and one other person. How is that cliquey?

Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 January 21, 16:39:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exactly my point: "Plus, the shape of your post is really ugly."

WTF? Seriously? The shape of the post is "ugly", even though there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for it to be the way it is? Do you even READ what you type? It's clear that it's bypassing your brain (or what passes for a brain in your vapid skull), but is it also bypassing your eyes?

Oh tickleonthetum, I know exactly what you meant by the "3 dots", but they aren't really appreciated here (for some reason, "I" don't have a problem with them) and are considered to represent "omitted words". Undecided

That is so far from being true that I don't even know where to begin. Indicating "omitted words" (what's with the quotation abuse, Tardo Owl?) is but ONE of the functions of an ellipsis.

Tickleonthetum, cease your double posting. If you want to soup from a thread, don't post THE VERY NEXT POST. Souping, yur doin it rong.

Finally, Mirelly, come on now. Just because you are butthurt that Rohina sporked you in another thread doesn't mean that all of #grah is dedicated to cliques and shit. Grah is MATY in real time, for maximum lulz and butthurt. Not that I'd expect you to understand, but at least I tried.

Cry moar about how MEEN and CLIQUISH the Senate is, Mirelly (is this the same august body found at MATY who can only ever agree on punishing Trixie, and who spork and turn on each other with even moar frequency and fervour than stupids and noobs are afforded? I guess it must not be). It has certainly shown to be successful in the past, amirite?

Good Lordy Wafflecat, what's with all the tardliness today?

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: