More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:09:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Plans for Nightlife
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Plans for Nightlife  (Read 18458 times)
striker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Plans for Nightlife
« on: 2005 July 28, 18:36:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you planning on creating a new neighborhood for Nightlife or make major changes the one your playing now?

With the upcoming vehicles and the associated garages, most houses will have to be redesigned to locate the garage at the front of the property.

I can't wait to start building houses with half walls.
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
Re: Plans for Nightlife
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 28, 18:51:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know about a neighbourhood, but I usually create a dummy house with dummy sims to test new things - like downloads, and expansion packs.

Most of my houses already have garage space included, but the garages are currently used for something else - this shouldn't be too much of a problem. I won't be giving all my sims cars anyway. I can't say this is a feature that I'm that excited about. In fact, due to lagging, if I haven't got more RAM by then, I don't think the expansion will be of that much use to me as commercial lots always lag.

It will be nice to have easier half walls - hopefully this will also make modular stairs easier to create and less crowding in terms of landing space, but I think this will be hoping too much.

A proud thread pirate.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 28, 18:51:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've already planned ahead and sited out a garage attachment site for all the major ancestral homes. Hopefully there won't be too many new obnoxious "must have" objects that will never be used. Like those instruments. Because there's no way we ever use all 3 of the new instruments, yet everyone's gotta have the entire set. Maybe if that sinkhole bug gets fixed, I'll be able to make a large enough basement to bury all this crap in.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 28, 18:54:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sinkhole bug?

A proud thread pirate.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 28, 19:47:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Drill a large basement. Then witness what your lot looks like in the neighborhood view. The terrain around the house will look like it's getting sucked into a sinkhole, starting with the stairs to the porch looking like they're suffering from a bad case of receding gumlines. It looks quite awful, and limits the size of the basement to a somewhat arbitrary figure often much smaller than the foundation of the house it's being drilled under.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 28, 19:50:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ta. Will remember that, although I tend to avoid basements to a certain degree as they make picture taking difficult.

A proud thread pirate.
kim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 28, 20:11:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've already planned ahead and sited out a garage attachment site for all the major ancestral homes. Hopefully there won't be too many new obnoxious "must have" objects that will never be used. Like those instruments. Because there's no way we ever use all 3 of the new instruments, yet everyone's gotta have the entire set. Maybe if that sinkhole bug gets fixed, I'll be able to make a large enough basement to bury all this crap in.
\\

i'm hoping for more new musical instruments.  i'm hoping they'll come with more mature animations.  yeah, silly me.
as to the sinkholes, yes, it's ugly, but i see the neighborhood screen as pretty disfunctional anyway.  it also doesn't properly render the invisible wall/wall window or the transparent floor tiles.  so i do the glass houses and huge  basements and have my fun on the lot.  would be nice though if that could get fixed.
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 28, 20:29:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not planning on making a new hood for NL - but the hood I play nearly all the time - a generation/legacy type of thing where I play each house in rotation - anyway, in that hood, I'm working on getting the current generation married/pregnant with first child. There's 24 couples. So by the time I play though all of them, their kids should be my "Nightlife Generation" just as the parents were kind of my "Uni" generation, and their parents were my "there weren't no new-fangled EPs in MY day, kids don't know how easy they got it nowadays" generation.  Cheesy

Now if the generation that is currently in utero/non-existant reaches adulthood before NL comes out - I won't "save" them for NL, I'll just keep playing. But I doubt I will get them all matured before mid-Sept - if it indeed comes out on time.

I usually do a "dummy" lot too, to test out the new things/interactions.

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 28, 20:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh. That's interesting.  I suck at building, but my sweetie is a builder extraordinaire, and he adores basements.  I've never heard him bitch and moan about this effect, and I've never noticed it when looking at his neighborhoods.  Maybe because he landscapes a huge amount?  I'll have to ask him to pull up one of his neighborhoods when I get home.

Phyllis

Drill a large basement. Then witness what your lot looks like in the neighborhood view. The terrain around the house will look like it's getting sucked into a sinkhole, starting with the stairs to the porch looking like they're suffering from a bad case of receding gumlines. It looks quite awful, and limits the size of the basement to a somewhat arbitrary figure often much smaller than the foundation of the house it's being drilled under.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 28, 22:27:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Sinkhole Effect is completely undetectable while playing, and appears only as an unsightly eyesore in the neighborhood view.

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 28, 23:23:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I understood when you initially explained it that you were talking about a neighborhood view effect.  I'm at home now looking at one of my sweetie's neighborhoods, and neither of us can see what you describe -- and he's got plenty of houses with full basements.  Any chance you could post a screen shot of the effect?  We're curious as hell.  If it's too much trouble, no worries; we'll live ;-)

Phyllis

The Sinkhole Effect is completely undetectable while playing, and appears only as an unsightly eyesore in the neighborhood view.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 28, 23:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, it reminds me of a Bulgarian slogan: "the fish is still in the water, but the frying pan in already hot on the fire".

I pre-orderred NL long ago, but I don't think I'll install it, and wait for JM's approval and fixes. The least that bothers me is the garrage - I want a game clean from bugs...Smiley.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 28, 23:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any chance you could post a screen shot of the effect?  We're curious as hell.  If it's too much trouble, no worries; we'll live ;-)

As you can clearly see in the above shot, this is a standard rectangular pit, with a one-square thick wall, paved on the outside in the concretium square. The ground is clearly perfectly level both inside and outside the pit.

However, in the neighborhood view, you can clearly see some unexplainable terrain warpage. The foundation rim hovers over a black abyss, and the interior of the pit clearly appears to no longer be flat. The concretium, previously seen to be perfectly level, now appears strangely curved, a placement that is impossible without cheats.

Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 28, 23:48:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't given it much thought up until now. I think that I too will wait and see what problems people have. I will be just as happy holding it my hand and looking at the new box. I am very easy pleased even though my husband might argue otherwise.

I most excited about the neighbourhood view when you are on a lot. To me, this is the only reason why I'll buy and install NL.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 July 28, 23:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's a bit premature to really speculate about Nightlife. For starters, it doesn't actually exist.

lakota
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 July 29, 00:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's a bit premature to really speculate about Nightlife. For starters, it doesn't actually exist.

True, but now that my game actully works (thank you) I am looking forward to nightlife.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 July 29, 00:15:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, don't look too forwards to it. Stay tuned for all new forms of brokenness to appear every expansion pack.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 July 29, 01:35:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll probably start with a new installation without Uni, if that's possible, just to see how it plays by itself.  But I'm in no hurry to buy it, a lot of the features don't interest me much.  If I wanted vampires, there are plenty of games with them already, and they don't interest me at all.  As for cars - they'll probably all go getting stuck in the portals and mess up my game!

Zephyr Zodiac
Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 July 29, 02:00:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So much doom and gloom people!

I have to admit that I sometimes wish I was back with just having bought The Sims 2 and having no idea about how buggy this game is. Ignorance is bless as they say.

No point staying away from these forums now. My mind is already contaminated.

I shall never look forward to an expansion pack again.

fff
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 July 29, 02:40:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know the feeling, sometimes ignorance really is bliss, and over at the official BBS those are some of the happiest idiots around....

I'm going to hold off on getting Nightlife, and will instead wait and watch everyone else stress out about how buggy it is first. Then once He Who Is More Awesome Than Any Of Us has lovingly created all the shiny awesomeness that will make it nice and fixed and playable, THEN will I go out and part with my hard-earned moolah for it.

Besides, I don't give a crap about vampires, and now have a phobia about cars thanks to this forum.  Cheesy
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 July 29, 02:45:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even with Sims 1 you had to be careful with cars!

Zephyr Zodiac
Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 July 29, 02:48:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zephy, what's the significance of the car in your avatar?

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 July 29, 02:49:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was suggested to me by a fellow member - the Zephyr Zodiac was a 1960's Ford!

Zephyr Zodiac
Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 July 29, 02:51:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So what is the real problems with cars in the game? They are just an object yeah?

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 July 29, 02:55:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I don't think they are always "just an object".  They are certainly sometimes recognised by the Hack Scanner as hacked objects.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: