More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 14:12:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Freezing again???
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Freezing again???  (Read 12332 times)
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Freezing again???
« on: 2010 January 04, 14:39:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I just downloaded the newest version of the 1.8 AM and entered my game. I go in normally and start editing a house I was making. I was continually going back into edit town to save my work. BUT for some reason this time it freezes.
Let me clarify:

- Keyboard commands don't work but I can use my mouse to move around.
- I can't zoom, but when I move my mouse over buttons labels appear normally.
- I entered task manager and for one second it shows that it isn't responding then shows that it is.
- Also, the loading mouse thingy is spinning normally.

This has never happened. What's going on?? I've searched for freezing issues but non of them are like this. I'm lost for words. What should I do?

I must also point out that the cheat console won't open, so I'm guessing my keyboard isn't responding.

EDIT: I didn't realize I didn't say this: Once I click on edit town, it freezes. Not when I try to save.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 04, 15:15:57 by AloeOwl » Logged

~ Condemnation without investigation is the peak of ignorance ~
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
Re: Freezing again???
« Reply #1 on: 2010 January 05, 11:14:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Wife was also having this issue, but only with a particular save game, so changing games, rolling back to an older save, or starting a new game seems to fix it. This seems to be the case whenever neighbourhoods go bad. Over my time with sims 3 I've had to start new games and import all my families to the new hood about 3 times to fix corrupt neighbourhood issues, but most those times i've worked out it was due to a particular mod, sim or item in the game world, not AM. In my Wife's case, which sounds identical to yours, we still don't know why it was happening.

AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 January 05, 15:15:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Wife was also having this issue, but only with a particular save game, so changing games, rolling back to an older save, or starting a new game seems to fix it. This seems to be the case whenever neighbourhoods go bad. Over my time with sims 3 I've had to start new games and import all my families to the new hood about 3 times to fix corrupt neighbourhood issues, but most those times i've worked out it was due to a particular mod, sim or item in the game world, not AM. In my Wife's case, which sounds identical to yours, we still don't know why it was happening.

Actually I had deleted my documents sims folder to try a fresh game. All I used from before were my saved sims and library. I'm supposing the new patch had something to do with it, since it most definitely isn't caused by the two folders I used (I didn't even use any of my old saved sims!). This patch (As we've all said time and time again) really is screwing things up for us. But then again it could be caused my something else.

sgallaty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 January 06, 18:27:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish we had a way to find out what the current evailuated thing was - I suspect there's something that is iterating to whatever MAX_EVAL is, and then aborting.  There seem to be numerous conditions that reach this - because I've seen it in a few games, even one utter stock game in a fresh adventure world with vanilla ts3.  Once it starts it seems that it can persist for an arbitrary time until the condition goes away or I lose my patience.

AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 January 06, 18:55:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish we had a way to find out what the current evailuated evaluated (that is what you meant right?) thing was - I suspect there's something that is iterating to whatever MAX_EVAL (what's that?) is, and then aborting.  There seem to be numerous conditions that reach this - because I've seen it in a few games, even one utter stock game in a fresh adventure world with vanilla ts3.  Once it starts it seems that it can persist for an arbitrary time until the condition goes away or I lose my patience.

sgallaty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 January 06, 22:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I type fast and loose, and I edited that post a couple times but the edits didn't show, so you get the raw love of my sloppy typing.

sims3 has a simulator that runs, evaluating the various input conditions and producing output conditions.  Most parsers/simulators have a static value somewhere that says "how long do we let a given method/function run before we stop it?", that's called MAX_EVAL in some places, so I used that name for shorthand.

I don't know why this is happening.  I wish I did.  I suspect that something is in a loop, either self-referencing, bad references or loops... what we really lack is a way to break the program and ask it wtf it is hung up on.  that would help isolate stuff.

Nitroglycerine
Blathering Buffoon

Cross over to the dark side

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 January 06, 22:23:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I type fast and loose, and I edited that post a couple times but the edits didn't show, so you get the raw love of my sloppy typing.

Sims 3 has a simulator that runs, evaluating the various input conditions and producing output conditions.  Most parsers/simulators have a static value somewhere that says: "how long do we let a given method/function run before we stop it?", that's called MAX_EVAL in some places, so I used that name for shorthand.

I don't know why this is happening.  I wish I did.  I suspect that something is in a loop, either self-referencing, bad references or loops... What we really lack is a way to break the program and ask it wtf it is hung up on. That would help isolate stuff.

The shift key exists for a reason. Use it.

I can send people to your house... Bad people!   INTJ
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 January 07, 05:16:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wish we had a way to find out what the current evailuated thing was - I suspect there's something that is iterating to whatever MAX_EVAL is, and then aborting.  There seem to be numerous conditions that reach this - because I've seen it in a few games, even one utter stock game in a fresh adventure world with vanilla ts3.  Once it starts it seems that it can persist for an arbitrary time until the condition goes away or I lose my patience.
TS3 does not, in fact, have such a value, and a misconfigured element can therefore block the game forever, freezing it indefinitely.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 January 07, 08:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This apologycaek tastes of donkey balls.

Sloppy typing is indicative of sloppy thinking, which would be underscored by your failure to understand the use of either the "preview" or the "modify" button. We don't need that kind of tardery, thanks ever so much.

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
sgallaty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 January 07, 16:21:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sloppy typing is indicative of sloppy thinking, which would be underscored by your failure to understand the use of either the "preview" or the "modify" button. We don't need that kind of tardery, thanks ever so much.

Well guess what, you've got that kind of tardery.   I'm here, and you aren't the boss of me.

Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 January 07, 16:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well guess what, you've got that kind of tardery.   I'm here, and you aren't the boss of me.

Go read the fucking board FAQ.

The stupid threshold has reached critical mass! Brain explosions imminent!
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 January 07, 16:26:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You forgot to stick out your tongue and say, "neener neener".  

I am not sure you are taking the best approach here; but, on the other hand, we like these games.
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 January 07, 17:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I LOVE it when my posts turn into fights Cool

*runs off and hides behind rock in anticipation for nuclear war

sgallaty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 January 07, 18:00:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You forgot to stick out your tongue and say, "neener neener".  

I am not sure you are taking the best approach here; but, on the other hand, we like these games.

I was, they just couldn't see it. 

I'm curious though, what sort of games do we like more?  My disregard for their critcism or their clumsy attempts at ingratiation?  It seems that they are attempting to mimic what they assume is the most likely behaviour to be given approval and acknowledgement.

I've got no real problem with that, but I would say that I'm probably not the best candidate to use for those kind of transparent post-count inflations. 

I'm a firm believer in interesting > comfortable.  So, this place is amusing to me.

snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 January 07, 18:07:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally speaking, it is not about approval or acknowledgment.  It is about lacing up the stomp boots and getting my kick on.
And your "disregard" is rather baseless, considering your response.  Perhaps you are more concerned with "post-count inflation"?
MsRaven
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 January 07, 20:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know last time I have checked this wasn't high school or English class..People who snicker over someone's  typing or their lack of spelling obviously have no life or they are unhappy and have noone in their real world to look down on so they must surf the web to find someone to make themselve feel above another person.If you feel so  strongly that people need to become  wonderful spellers go  get a job at a school and teach people..So far I have seen nothing but people complaining of people's spelling and Grammar  than actually helping someone figure out why there is a problem with awsomemod and the current patch with sims3 .So No one truely cares if you think they suck because you lack the ability to to read what is obviously there.  I would say to be honest  Unless your actually gonna be intelligent enough to be able to help someone who has posted a concern about their problem you should seriously  keep your opinion to yourself..
sgallaty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 January 07, 20:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@MsRaven: I think some of your assumptions may be incorrect.

@snowbawl: I acknowledge that.  I am not accusing you of that, but rather indicating that these two are trying to emulate you in an attempt to ingratiate themselves.  For good or ill, you are probably established.

soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 January 07, 20:30:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know last time I have checked this wasn't high school or English class..People who snicker over someone's  typing or their lack of spelling obviously have no life or they are unhappy and have noone in their real world to look down on so they must surf the web to find someone to make themselve feel above another person.If you feel so  strongly that people need to become  wonderful spellers go  get a job at a school and teach people..So far I have seen nothing but people complaining of people's spelling and Grammar  than actually helping someone figure out why there is a problem with awsomemod and the current patch with sims3 .So No one truely cares if you think they suck because you lack the ability to to read what is obviously there.  I would say to be honest  Unless your actually gonna be intelligent enough to be able to help someone who has posted a concern about their problem you should seriously  keep your opinion to yourself..

OH GOOD LORD HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO FUCKING GO OVER THIS? ARRGH RAEG STOMP.

You can type however the fuck you like outside of MATY. You can express yourself solely in Wingdings when emailing your bank for all we care. But if you decide to post on our forum, then you must abide by our rules. Don't like it? Fine, participate at a different forum. I am thoroughly sick of this constant influx of deluded noobtards with a mistaken sense of entitlement, coming here and demanding we adapt to suit their laziness/ineptitude. We don't owe you anything at all. If the culture here doesn't suit you then DON'T POST HERE. It really is that bloody simple.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Viscount
immortelleMuse
Blathering Buffoon

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 January 07, 20:48:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Raven:

But I would like to think the people who use the internet (in America) have been in high school and have taken an English class.
People don't snicker about it. I actually find it very sad people disregard grammar and spelling, considering language can be assumed to be the basis of conscious thought. It's also a matter of logic, and efficiency in communication.
This forum isn't just about "helping" people with AwesomeMod. There's an air of honor that needs to be upheld, and your presence is degrading it. MATY isn't a forum so that YOU can get help for YOUR problems, it's for actual intelligible people to better a game among other things. *I* truly care about grammar and language regardless of what's "obviously there" because what's OBVIOUS is that this forum will not help you if you cannot conform to the rules. Just like society will not help you as much if you become a serial murderer. Helping the stupid ones just breeds more of them, so there really is no point in helping them. If you know English, but cannot communicate in English, then there is no help for you. They don't need to help you if they don't think you can be helped.

Also, I suggest you take an English class as well. I understand French doesn't use the same capitalization rules, nor does German, but the double periods, failure to spell, and odd spacing is just UGLY. So what if I can read it-- everyone's going to assume you're ignorant, because you communicate that way. You're expressing YOURSELF, and you're doing it poorly.

I know I'm just an "Asinine Airhead" but I've lurked for a very long time. Primarily because this seems to be one of the few, tiny corners of the internet that actually abides by honorable codes like proper grammar, lack of double posting, deleting of pointless threads, and scorn of idiotic questions when needed. It's efficient. Don't be butthurt because you're the lowest denominator and you're not being catered to. Either better yourself, or GTFO. You're wasting space and time with you're whining, and nobody will GET help or be able to FIND the help with pointless posts like this.

Jeez.
I feel nothing if someone would so kindly delete this post, especially MsRaven's.
More lurking...

No matter how old you are, no matter how badass you think you are, if a toddler hands you their ringing toy phone-- you answer it.
AloeOwl
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 January 07, 20:51:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@MsRaven: I think some of your assumptions may be incorrect.

@snowbawl: I acknowledge that.  I am not accusing you of that, but rather indicating that these two are trying to emulate you in an attempt to ingratiate themselves.  For good or ill, you are probably established.

I hope you don't mean I'm the second one Shocked
I did nothing. I've been here long enough to actually know when to agree with you and when to shut up. (By the way I agree with you on what's going on Wink)

Also BRAVAAA to immortelleMuse . You hit it. good.
« Last Edit: 2010 January 07, 20:58:17 by AloeOwl » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: