More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 13:10:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Merging mods to increase Performance!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Merging mods to increase Performance!  (Read 368203 times)
Tempo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Merging mods to increase Performance!
« Reply #275 on: 2010 June 12, 18:15:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey can someone help me with the SP3 installation? -_- well I don't need help installing it, its just that I don't know what version to install because I have Windows Vista. Not XP and I only see search results FOR Windows XP
x.x

I used the SP3 from the first page and it works just fine for me I have Vista 64. It might say the program is not responding when merging and loading the files but it will work just fine.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 2010 June 12, 21:20:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey can someone help me with the SP3 installation? -_- well I don't need help installing it, its just that I don't know what version to install because I have Windows Vista. Not XP and I only see search results FOR Windows XP
x.x

I am using Vista on this machine:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sims3tools/files/
I'm using the s3pe_1006-05-1643.7z file. No installing. Just extract to it's own folder and run from the .exe within. There looks to be an update out though. Just grab the one that is the version number, not the one that says "source" in the name, and the .exe download is only a necessity if you really like installers. I have no problem, although, I have UAC off.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: 2010 June 13, 09:46:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a method, if any, for splitting a merged package into 2 smaller ones?

That would be extremely messy. You are best to simply re-merge and make smaller packages.

BriarRosethorn
Asinine Airhead

Don't you type at me in that tone of voice!

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 2010 June 14, 22:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I attempted this, at first with a large number of files, but soon realized that I was trying to merge too many files as I kept receiving error messages.

Once I started merging a smaller amount of files, I stopped receiving these messages, but after saving a newly merged file, S3PE stops responding. I'm not sure why this is or if this is at all normal.

KING LOUIS: I'm the King of France!
THE DOCTOR: Yeah? Well, I'm the Lord of Time.
The Doctor. More awesome than the King of France.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 2010 June 14, 23:09:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I attempted this, at first with a large number of files, but soon realized that I was trying to merge too many files as I kept receiving error messages.

Once I started merging a smaller amount of files, I stopped receiving these messages, but after saving a newly merged file, S3PE stops responding. I'm not sure why this is or if this is at all normal.

If you want a tutorial with a few pics:
http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/28336.html?#cutid1

As for S3PEs response going to "not responding", as far as  can tell, that is normal. Just wait for it to finish. I have about 10 -15 that I've done and a majority of these have stopped responding while they were saving. If you keep an eye on the file that you are saving while it's doing this, you will see that in comparison to finished ones, it looks to be much smaller then it ought to be, and much larger after S3PE returns to normal. So just kill a minute or so on MATY while you are waiting on S3pe.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
ZombieRain
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 2010 June 29, 19:17:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can we merge the merged files? Or would this be completely redundant and just create a huge package file that our games can not handle?
Baarogue
Asinine Airhead

has appeared!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 2010 June 29, 19:46:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can we merge the merged files? Or would this be completely redundant and just create a huge package file that our games can not handle?

You can, but it's not that important to trim one or even a dozen or so files out of the mix. What's important is to prune the hundreds-thousands of files down to a more manageable number. I have merged my "official" content into a dozen+ .package files and have another couple dozen player-content .packages and have seen no significant reduction in performance or load times compared to when I had merged everything into six. Also there's a recommended upper limit to the file size. I believe the exact number is somewhere else in this thread.
ZombieRain
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 2010 June 29, 20:19:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, thank you.
I as just unsure of whether the game slows down because of sheer number of files or the size of them. I believe the number is something along the lines of 250MB so I'll keep my files around there.

If I have all my CC down to roughly 30 packages, (all under 150mb), and my game is still slow should I look elsewhere for the solution? Like converting my launcher files?
« Last Edit: 2010 June 29, 20:38:40 by ZombieRain » Logged
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 2010 June 30, 21:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've merged most of my files down now. Actually, this is the second time I've had to do it. My hard drive died right after I did it last time, but luckily I had saved the pre-merged .package files on an external hard drive. Anyway, I was just wondering if there's anything that shouldn't be merged into a single package? I'm especially wondering about default replacement skintones. I have HP's replacement skintones and with all the ages and separate body and face files, there's a total of 20 package files. If I combined those into 1 file, would they still work? Or would it cause problems?
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 2010 June 30, 21:55:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somewhere in this long thread, I seem to remember someone saying that they merged their skins and they worked fine. I choose not to merge mine yet since I'm not sure I will keep them. It wouldn't hurt to keep backup files just in case it doesn't work, though.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 2010 June 30, 22:26:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, thanks. So this leaves my mods as the only things I didn't merge now, but I won't bother since every time a patch or EP comes out, they'll need to be updated.
MuggleLouise
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 2010 July 03, 04:53:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just wanted to say thanks for the guide that you posted. My game was incredibly slow and it runs as if I don't have any CC in the game. It's awesome! However, the only way I could get my CC to show up in the game after I merged it was to save it as a .dbc file instead of a .package file and then placing it in the DOCUMENTS/ELECTRONIC ARTS/THE SIMS 3/MODS/DCCACHE folder.
gelfling
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 2010 July 03, 05:46:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have merged the default skins that I use and all's well. I have also merged the slider mods that I use.
aya_alexa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 2010 July 03, 14:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i would like to ask if there a size limit for every package made? i made 4 packages of  peggys hair and are 210+ in size and im not sure but i think some of the CC hair doesn't show, is the size the reason?
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 2010 July 03, 14:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I set myself a limit of about 230mb, then I'll break it down if it gets any bigger.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 2010 July 03, 19:51:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just wanted to say thanks for the guide that you posted. My game was incredibly slow and it runs as if I don't have any CC in the game. It's awesome! However, the only way I could get my CC to show up in the game after I merged it was to save it as a .dbc file instead of a .package file and then placing it in the DOCUMENTS/ELECTRONIC ARTS/THE SIMS 3/MODS/DCCACHE folder.

Configure your Resource.cfg to read .dbc files, then you can place the .dbc files in with your other custom. You also probably have some kind of framework fail if your game wouldn't read the merged .package files.

Loolitah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 2010 July 05, 12:56:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello everyone. Really interesting and helpful post and its following comments.

I have a question. Anach mentions in the first post the possibility of converting .sims3pack to .package and then merging as in the tutorial.
Is it worth?

Thank you!  Cheesy
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 2010 July 05, 20:10:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello everyone. Really interesting and helpful post and its following comments.

I have a question. Anach mentions in the first post the possibility of converting .sims3pack to .package and then merging as in the tutorial.
Is it worth?

Thank you!  Cheesy

The .dbc files that the launcher makes from your Sims3pack files and the merged file you are creating using simpe are pretty much the same thing(someone will correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure). I haven't noticed any speed difference over using one or the other, I have several of both. There are however, a few items in sims3pack that just will not install via the launcher. Usually ones from TSR, or made with their tool. It throws up a error when you try to install them, something about versions and you needing to patch, which is bullshit. If you want to avoid a headache of trying to install and them not installing, I'd extract the .packages and use simpe. Otherwise it's just trial and error, and then you end up extracting them and merging them anyway.
« Last Edit: 2010 July 06, 08:01:42 by morriganrant » Logged

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: 2010 July 06, 06:54:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can something be added to the top post to stop people opening a thread at my site every time they try to import HP's hair to a dbc?   Can they be told to get support in this thread rather than at simlogical, and then if Anach and associates spot there *is* an actual error in s3pe, or an improvement can be made, we'll take a report from yourselves.  Only it's getting kinda boring getting the same report over and over again, and we're getting tempted to remove the feature.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: 2010 July 06, 07:36:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can something be added to the top post to stop people opening a thread at my site every time they try to import HP's hair to a dbc?   Can they be told to get support in this thread rather than at simlogical, and then if Anach and associates spot there *is* an actual error in s3pe, or an improvement can be made, we'll take a report from yourselves.  Only it's getting kinda boring getting the same report over and over again, and we're getting tempted to remove the feature.

I've simplified the original post to hopefully take care of it. Smiley

Alicelove
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 2010 July 14, 10:50:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wanted to let people know, in case there are any idiots (like me) reading who want to remove files from their merged package and don't have a backup. (I know, I know, but it's also useful for people who don't feel like re-merging just to remove a couple files they don't want anymore, as it's significantly faster.) I just successfully used Sims 3 Package Explorer to re-save my patterns package without 14 files I didn't want. It was incredibly easy, and rather self-explanatory. The entire process took me about five minutes (or less, once I figured it out).

Unfortunately, this only works this easily with patterns. My other merged packages were way too hard (for me) to sort through, though someone more awesome than me (ha!) may figure it out. Nevertheless, it's a good starting point.

Tutorial for the Non-Awesome (Like Me)
1. Obviously, backup the file you're messing around in.
2. Start the Package Explorer and open the package you want to edit.
3. You will see a list of files and a preview window. You can identify individual objects/patterns, etc. in several ways, but the easiest for me was by image (because, y'know, then I knew what I was looking at). It is easiest to pick out individual items if you do NOT sort the list - leave it the way it is.
4. Under the drop-down menu in the preview window, choose "image".
5. Click an Icon, any Icon (you'll see them identified under "type").
6. You will notice that immediately before or after the icon in the list, there will be three other files which share either the same full Id, or the same first 10 characters of the Id as the Icon. This is the rest of the file that makes up the item (obviously).
7. Select (highlight) all items you want to keep (which, depending on how many packages you have, may take a while). This means all four files of each item.
8. With your items selected, go to "Edit->Copy".
9. Click the "create new package" button (it's the little sheet of paper in the left-hand corner, just like MS Word).
10. Go to "Edit->Paste".
11. Save your new package and test it out in-game to make sure you've removed/saved all you intended.

That's it. It's that simple. Again though, this only worked because my patterns were in a merged package by themselves and were kind enough to be sorted for me. If anyone has improvements on this technique for other types of content, have at it!

Edit: Fixed some minor spelling and grammar errors (including a very irritating "to" that should have been a "too"), because I wrote this at 3am.
« Last Edit: 2010 July 15, 09:50:35 by Alicelove » Logged
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 2010 July 15, 03:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the directions. I actually just downloaded some messed up patterns, and stupidly merged them without testing, so that'll be helpful.

I sing along with elevator music.
Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

I haet F-ly retarded snowflaek

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 2010 July 19, 07:31:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about decrapifying? When should I need to decrapify the stuffs? Do I need to do it after repackaging them?

EDIT: What is the number of about 200 Mb packages I can have before my game started to lag?
« Last Edit: 2010 July 19, 07:42:42 by Freezerburn » Logged

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Don't Abuse The Search Box!
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 2010 July 19, 17:57:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about decrapifying? When should I need to decrapify the stuffs? Do I need to do it after repackaging them?

EDIT: What is the number of about 200 Mb packages I can have before my game started to lag?

Right now I have over 100 .packages in my game. While most are merged, there are several that aren't (like my mods) and the ones that are merged, I do by category, so that's the reason for the large number of merged packages. But my game doesn't lag with them all in there. It loads up to the save game select screen in less than a minute and the game all runs really smooth with no lag and everything loads fast. I don't know about decrapifying stuff since I never bother with any of that. I don't touch Sims3Pack files, unless I'm extracting them to .package, so there's never been any need for it.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: 2010 July 20, 00:52:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Decrapify is a personal preference, much like your brand of toothpaste. Read up one what it does and decide whether you want to do it.

I try to keep the packages under 100, but lag is a gradual thing, not something that jumps on you if you hit 101 packages. I've not noticed any difference between 10 packages or 80 packages. Originally I had about 700, which halved my FPS.

Keep in mind, that 200MB is only a sensible limit on file size for reducing merging times and RAM use for creating those large packages. The largest .package used by the game is around 1.9Gb, but creating that in S3PE would take a lot of time and memory.

Essentially, there are no hard rules, just what works for you.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: