More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:07:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Merging mods to increase Performance!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Merging mods to increase Performance!  (Read 366194 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Merging mods to increase Performance! (Manually creating .dbc archives)
« Reply #225 on: 2010 April 03, 00:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i've read through this thing twice thus far and either i'm missing something or i dunno. i'm no programmer, but after i started getting the lag in my own game two weeks ago, i've been trying to fix it. i came across this .dbc idea which sounded great, but i'm seriously lost. don't really care what kinda crap i get, just looking for an answer i can use.

1)downloaded and installed s3pe from the link from before, even though it wasn't the one originally referred to by Anach (last post notwithstanding of course)
2)selected mostly slider hacks to serve as trials to see of viability of this method
3)ran S3pe New, Resource->Import-->From package, selected everything as DBPF packages
4)left "replace duplicates" checked and hit "import"
5)saved as Mod Packs, just to try
6)deleted all my packages from the package folder
7)ran the game and found everything gone
8)started over, reread thread, found the suggestion to put the Mod Packs file into the DCCCache, deleted old file, started new file with a few extra sliders so i could tell the difference between my packages and the new file, and left my packages in the package folder, ran the game, nothing again.
I finally got around to merging my cc and ran into this same issue, but with only certain cc. I had previously compressorized some, but not all, of my cc. After merging, I found that the only cc I had that actually showed were hairs and patterns, the two groups I had previously compressorized. Clothing, build, and buy objects did not show. After compressorizing them, I was able to see them in game.

No idea why it didn't work previously. I had started up the game three times before figuring out the issue and cleared caches each time. So if you are having issues with items not showing after merging, try running everything through the Compressorizer first, then creating merged files.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: 2010 April 03, 01:15:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's import as DBC, not import from package.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 2010 April 03, 17:21:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Sorry, I should have specified that I did choose "<experimental> Import as DBC" each time. Dangerdude may not have, but our issue after merging was the same.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
zveki
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 2010 April 13, 09:18:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WOW WOW WOW, merging is the best, my game is now so fast that i can have 10 gigs of mods and plus new store items converted and merged in one file. So many thanks for this Roll Eyes
knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: 2010 April 13, 14:44:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know you can merge .package files but can you merge .dbc files?

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

I haet F-ly retarded snowflaek

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2010 April 13, 16:40:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know you can merge .package files but can you merge .dbc files?

Correct me if I'm wrong. IMO .package and .dbc are the same, only the file extensions are different. So you can rename merged .package to .dbc

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Don't Abuse The Search Box!
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: 2010 April 13, 17:14:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WOW WOW WOW, merging is the best, my game is now so fast that i can have 10 gigs of mods and plus new store items converted and merged in one file. So many thanks for this Roll Eyes

Dear god, how can you even have that many? Do you download everything you see?
zveki
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2010 April 13, 19:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, sorry, my mistake. I have 5.5 gigs of sims 3 packs and 4.5 gigs of packages(merged in 3 gigs). SO that was 10 gigs of stuff i meant  Kiss
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 2010 April 13, 22:43:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"ZOMG!  This Peggy hair has the emo bangs swept to the right!"  *click*

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Inf
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2010 April 15, 20:40:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"ZOMG!  This Peggy hair has the emo bangs swept to the right!"  *click*
^^^
I'm sorry but I found this to be extremely hilarious!!! Cheesy I'm just as bad....

Anyways...I just went and tried this complete setup by converging all my .package files and compressing them into .dbc files. Honestly on my machine I did see a performance increase. Considering I have a ton of mods *** Approx. 2.31 GBs worth in my packages folder *** I was starting to see some serious lag issues before compressing everything. Compared to my 3:20+ load time before from start to in game I'm now down to by my stopwatch around 2:25+ in game.

This was done by a comparison with each try 4x with & without the dbc files all on fresh reboots of the machine. Either I went with all the .package files in the respected folders and then tried it with just the .dbc files. .dbc was quicker on my machine. Whether or not this method actually works being true or not this is a debate I do not want to get involved in. You guys can debate it all you want. For me it worked.

I'll be sticking with the conversions from now on. Thanx for the Tut Anach.

Oh and Claeric, I wanted to say thanx to you for the Proc Monitor App. That helped me out a lot yesterday. I picked it up from your blog yesterday and followed the Tut for it as well. That really helped me out. Sped things up a bunch after I did what you said. Wink

Just when you thought you had me in your clutches...I surprised you again!!!
Complete Instructions: HERE
zveki
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2010 April 16, 09:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game went up faster from about 7 mins to 30 seconds!!!! That was just with packages about 3 gigs and 5 gigs of sims 3 packs on sims 3 basegame. Comparing basegame with WA , it was little slower about 1 min loading time but still AWESOME TIME!! Shocked
Inf
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 2010 April 16, 22:07:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was one thing that got me with this method though and I only changed 1 thing. The Default & Peggys & Lady Frontbums Skins when they got compressed developed a mark on them. I'm not going to repeat the process and show a pic whereas I should, but the skin(s) texture developed that mark until I took them back out of the DBC file and just placed them back in the skins directory as separate packages instead. So whether or not this is a fluke instance I'll be leaving my skins outside the dbc compression method from here on out.

Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 2010 April 16, 23:35:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WHY do you feel you need such a huge fucking signature? Delete it.

I sing along with elevator music.
Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2010 April 17, 01:10:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WHY do you feel you need such a huge fucking signature? Delete it.

MY EYES, it burns! It's too.......cute!

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 2010 April 17, 18:48:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm to fucking lazy to make a new signature now fuck off!!!

Congratulations on advertising your complete fail. If you consider a grasp of the English language too high an expectation, MATY is not the place for you. This is probably the site you're looking for.

Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 2010 April 18, 07:01:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No no, not that! This should be the site (s)he's looking for.

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Boobzilla
Retardo Lander

INFP (100/50/31/69/81)

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 2010 April 18, 13:31:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just in case anyone cares...

You can do this on a mac. You will need the latest version of mono (2.6.13 i think) and the latest version of xquartz (2.5.0) - which will replace your apple x11. (that is a good thing...)
Get Mono http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page (Get the Mac OS X version)
Get Xquartz http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki
(I'm assuming you can figure out how to get the sims 3 package editor yourself)

It works best if you run it from the xquartz terminal by navigating to the directory you placed the windows s3pe .exe
for dummies: it's easy if you make a new file straight inside your Macintosh HD folder, that way you only have to type in
Code:
$ cd '/s3pe'

to get to the directory[/i]

Once you're in the directory that holds the downloaded s3pe{version numbers].exe, type in
Code:
$ mono 's3pe[version numbers].exe'
for really really stupid people: that's where you type in the name of the executable file
The file you download is the installer, so make sure you remember where you tell it to install. It will probably come up with a 'c:\' directory just like windows. If you navigate up the file tree, you should be able to find the 'z:\' directory, which is your Macintosh HD directory. Then you can just install into the folder you already created.

Then, to run the program, you use xquartz terminal to navigate to the directory the installed editor program is, and use the mono command for idiots: $ mono 's3pe.exe'
It should work.

You have to go very very very slowly though. It is a VERY fragile program, and if you push it just that tiny bit too fast, it will crash. You also won't have apple key or control key functionality, so you will have to import every package manually. I broke up all of my mods into groups of about 7 or 8, then condensed those into smaller packages, so that if the program crashed I didn't lose too much work.

It will take time, and you have to treat it like an egg and spoon race or dismantling a bomb - be very very delicate and gentle. But it should work.
I am trying to create a mac (cocoa) app that does the same thing, but I'm only a learner at xcode, so it's taking a while.
Inf
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 2010 April 18, 23:41:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Congratulations on advertising your complete fail. If you consider a grasp of the English language too high an expectation, MATY is not the place for you. This is probably the site you're looking for.

No no, not that! This should be the site (s)he's looking for.

Wow...And I get my chuckle for the day from 2 lamers that know what Disney & Sims 3.com is. I'm actually quite impressed that the 2 of you are intellectual enough to understand either of those sites let alone being able to comprehend MATY for that matter. Here...I'll give you a real link to check out that I'm pretty sure both of you are very familiar with. And although it astounds me with the English comment Sigmund...That you fail to grasp of what my signature stated. I clearly think both of you need complete instructions on the subject so I'll help you both out being the nice individual I am. Check it out -=={===> HERE Read It...Preach it...Understand it...Live it...Enjoy it... Wink

Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 2010 April 19, 02:52:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just how stupid are you? Ellipses and smileys are not replacements for periods. Knock it off, and lose the attitude. If you don't like being called on your shitty English skills, start posting like an adult.

Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 2010 April 19, 14:18:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow...And I get my chuckle for the day from 2 lamers that know what Disney & Sims 3.com is. I'm actually quite impressed that the 2 of you are intellectual enough to understand either of those sites let alone being able to comprehend MATY for that matter. Here...I'll give you a real link to check out that I'm pretty sure both of you are very familiar with. And although it astounds me with the English comment Sigmund...That you fail to grasp of what my signature stated. I clearly think both of you need complete instructions on the subject so I'll help you both out being the nice individual I am. Check it out -=={===> HERE Read It...Preach it...Understand it...Live it...Enjoy it... Wink

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
FireDrake
Blathering Buffoon

It seems that they all died...

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 2010 May 24, 16:43:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this is necromancy, but it seems if I were to start a new topic, I'd get yelled at for that too.

Anyway, I have been having the same problem that Zazazu had, however, even when I do the things that he mentioned and what previous posters said, my CC fails to show up in game after I merge it into a single package file. I have around 290 files that merged and compressed from 200 MB to 14.8 MB. It runs through s3pe just fine with no errors, I checked it with Delphy's Dashboard Tool and it comes up clean. I cleared all my caches, yet nothing seems to be showing up. Can someone help me?

"Birds, flowers, sun...Hawaii does not exist. It's a myth...like tough liberals, or the Canadian army."
You should click on this.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: 2010 May 25, 14:23:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this is necromancy, but it seems if I were to start a new topic, I'd get yelled at for that too.

Anyway, I have been having the same problem that Zazazu had, however, even when I do the things that he mentioned and what previous posters said, my CC fails to show up in game after I merge it into a single package file. I have around 290 files that merged and compressed from 200 MB to 14.8 MB. It runs through s3pe just fine with no errors, I checked it with Delphy's Dashboard Tool and it comes up clean. I cleared all my caches, yet nothing seems to be showing up. Can someone help me?

I posted a link to a visual guide at the bottom of the original post. This may help. As long as you are merging correctly and naming them .package, putting the merged packages in your mods directory and have the framework installed, they should work. If they don't, then you have missed something.

Might be handy if someone made the thread into a sticky, then the necro wont matter Smiley
« Last Edit: 2010 May 25, 14:32:34 by Anach » Logged

FireDrake
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Merging mods to increase Performance!
« Reply #247 on: 2010 May 25, 15:26:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I followed the visual guide exactly, but nothing shows up in game! Also, I noticed that when I'm in s3pe and I save my new merged file, it "stops responding" as Windows puts it. Should this be happening?

"Birds, flowers, sun...Hawaii does not exist. It's a myth...like tough liberals, or the Canadian army."
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: 2010 May 25, 17:57:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I followed the visual guide exactly, but nothing shows up in game! Also, I noticed that when I'm in s3pe and I save my new merged file, it "stops responding" as Windows puts it. Should this be happening?

Yes it's normal for it to do that, depending on processing time for the file.

Make sure when you are deleting those 0x000 xml files, you are not deleting any _key files. Go grab delphy's framework installer from MTS and run it. Run the Sims 3 Dashboard and make sure your new package is shown in the list.

FireDrake
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 2010 May 25, 18:35:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got it! It turns out I'm supposed to wait for s3pe to respond again, as that is the period of time where it's saving my merged files. I was just closing it because I thought it had actually stopped working lol. Woops...

Thanks for your help Anach, it was much appreciated.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: